Where have you been? BlackBerry has closed its hardware division. They are only providing licences to 3rd parties going forward.

BlackBerry has completed its pivot to becoming a software company.
    I know they've closed the hardware division. But I didn't know that they don't even try to sell their out sourced phones at all.
    10-28-16 09:36 AM
    I know they've closed the hardware division. But I didn't know that they don't even try to sell their out sourced phones at all.
    I doubt the DTEK50 was all that much of a success (as they decided to close) so probably not much interest from Carrier either. But then BlackBerry makes that announcement, plus most likely have already EOL the DTEK60... just no reason for Carrier to pick it up for a limited time only.

All BlackBerry has to do is move whatever the minimum order was to meet their contract with TCL.
    10-28-16 10:09 AM
    I doubt the DTEK50 was all that much of a success (as they decided to close) so probably not much interest from Carrier either. But then BlackBerry makes that announcement, plus most likely have already EOL the DTEK60... just no reason for Carrier to pick it up for a limited time only.

All BlackBerry has to do is move whatever the minimum order was to meet their contract with TCL.
    How is that a money making proposition? I'm sure the shareholders are thrilled that Blackberry's success barometer is to sell off TCL's minimum run per phone. WTF?
    10-28-16 12:12 PM
    The dtek50 is on display at Staples, although a non-functional display
    10-28-16 01:10 PM
    How is that a money making proposition? I'm sure the shareholders are thrilled that Blackberry's success barometer is to sell off TCL's minimum run per phone. WTF?
    It's not a moneymaking proposition - let face it, that has been a losing battle for them... it is part of the getting out of hardware by the end of the fiscal year "plan".

I think if PRIV sales had been better, and if DTEK50 sales had started off better... Chen might have stuck with it and tried to make a go of it. But that didn't happen, and they wrote off over $100 Million in hardware last quarter. If Chen had it his way... they would never have launched the DTEK60, but that order had been placed long ago... maybe as far back as the first of the year (before Priv sales were fully understood). At some point you cut your loses and move on.....

Do you think BlackBerry is making much off selling the DTEK60 for $499 (US).... no, it's already a clearance price for them.
    10-28-16 01:22 PM
    It's not a moneymaking proposition - let face it, that has been a losing battle for them... it is part of the getting out of hardware by the end of the fiscal year "plan".

I think if PRIV sales had been better, and if DTEK50 sales had started off better... Chen might have stuck with it and tried to make a go of it. But that didn't happen, and they wrote off over $100 Million in hardware last quarter. If Chen had it his way... they would never have launched the DTEK60, but that order had been placed long ago... maybe as far back as the first of the year (before Priv sales were fully understood). At some point you cut your loses and move on.....

Do you think BlackBerry is making much off selling the DTEK60 for $499 (US).... no, it's already a clearance price for them.
    Is it "write off" or "write down"?
    What does that exactly mean?
    How BlackBerry has written down $100 million of inventory?
    10-28-16 01:26 PM
    Well there goes the chance of any sales then.
    10-28-16 02:03 PM

Making money? I agree unlikely. But they are certainly improving their value proposition in the eye of the consumer with the DTEK60, and dare I say, with all of the early glowing reviews of the device, their mindshare is on the rise, albeit ever so slightly. With this phone they are now being talked about in the same sentence as Apple, Google, and Samsung.... what a time to pack it in and throw a successful effort to the wolves.
    10-28-16 02:04 PM
    Glad ur not a major reviewer
    10-28-16 02:18 PM
    Making money? I agree unlikely. But they are certainly improving their value proposition in the eye of the consumer with the DTEK60, and dare I say, with all of the early glowing reviews of the device, their mindshare is on the rise, albeit ever so slightly. With this phone they are now being talked about in the same sentence as Apple, Google, and Samsung.... what a time to pack it in and throw a successful effort to the wolves.
    Consumers.... consumers in general or just existing BlackBerry fans hanging on ever word that is said about BlackBerry?

Go visit Android Central or any other Android site and see just how much "consumers" are talking about the DTEK60...

I'm sorry, yes the DTEK60 is a pretty good phone at a great price point... but they threw in the towel months ago now. If they were still "trying" this would probably have been a $650 phone that everyone would have laughed at as being too expensive.

You make it sound like BlackBerry hasn't even tired.... they have, it didn't work and they simply are at the point where financially they can't just keep trying.
    10-28-16 02:19 PM
    I subscribe to BlackBerry promotional emails. I got one today that says " you will still be able to walk in to stores and buy BlackBerry smartphones. " The email was titled about Dtek60 and went on to highlight some of its key promotional points.
    I'm left wondering what store I can walk in and see it. I live 5 miles from BlackBerry headquarters.

DTEK 60 Canada providers-img_20161028_165944.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tjsberry; 10-28-16 at 06:41 PM.
    10-28-16 04:06 PM
    You can walk into Staples.
    10-29-16 09:44 AM
    You can walk into Staples.
    DTEK60 is in store at Staples?!
    10-29-16 10:14 AM
    I thought it would work with wind, is is that it won't work with winds new lte?

BlackBerry Passport SE on OS 10.3.2.836 Wind Mobile after 7 yrs with Rogers
    10-29-16 10:43 AM
    I presume it will be. On presale right now.
    10-29-16 10:43 AM
    As long as I can buy it somewhere and it works on Wind, I'll be happy.

But it is strange if it's not being made available to all carriers. Doesn't make any sense.
    10-29-16 10:54 AM
    As long as I can buy it somewhere and it works on Wind, I'll be happy.

But it is strange if it's not being made available to all carriers. Doesn't make any sense.
    It does make sense when you consider that carriers are actually in the business of selling service contracts, not phones and BlackBerry's share of the consumer phone market has dropped to next to nothing.
    10-29-16 12:12 PM
    I purchased my Passport SE through BlackBerry directly and have been very satisfied. I do not want a carrier subsidized phone as I am not interested in being on a contract. I support BlackBerry selling directly from their website as it targets the right market for their phones. It appears obvious that people believe BlackBerry is in the business of selling to the consumer market, but they aren't and that has been clear. This isn't to say that some carriers won't pick up the phones if they see a potential market, but I am not holding my breath.

The DTEK60 looks like an awesome phone at a great price. I am confident they will sell a lot from their website.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-16 09:14 AM
    The online strategy works when your product is unique or bargain priced. The Mercury is the one device that could have benefited under this approach. Not having CDMA version of the DTEK is also a missed opportunity.

Beggars cannot be choosers so we are happy that they still have a product to sell .
    10-30-16 10:02 AM
    CDMA is still around????? Daaaaaaaaamn
    10-30-16 11:07 PM
70 123