Just got off the phone with BB support and the DTek 60 that I sent in for battery repair is being replaced with a Dtek 60 model BBA100-2.

My question for all the experts is this a good deal since I had a North American version and will be receiving a global version has a replacement?

The support person I talked to said she had no information concerning the DTEK 60 getting android 7. She asked someone else and they said it was not likely.

I did try to do some research before posting and did not find any information that would answer my question.
    10-11-17 12:38 PM
    Uh, what network are you on?

I think you may be very unhappy. Bands 12 and 17 are missing in the -2 model; it has TD LTE 38/40/41, which are all useless in the US.

You have bands 2 and 4 so you're not completely out in the cold but missing the long-range bands is going to hurt you, especially outside of urban areas.
    10-11-17 12:59 PM
    I am on t mobile in NorthWest Indiana
    10-11-17 02:05 PM
    You're gonna be profoundly unhappy once you get away from the Chicago/Gary area. There's a lot of Band 12, especially if you ever go north of roughly Grand Rapids in Michigan....

T-Mobile's coverage map will tell you exactly HOW unhappy (turn off their "extended range" LTE to see what it looks like without it.) In many cases you may be forced onto roaming, but there are plenty of holes that without Band 12 that you WILL experience.
    10-11-17 03:04 PM
    thanks for the reply. I am sending an email back saying that their replacement is not workable

I have sent 2 emails back to them and so far no response. Thanks to Tickerguy I know that the global version would leave me without service for most of the places I go to visit my children and others. In the past they often took half a day or more before they replied to my emails when I wrote about not getting the original RMA label email.
    Last edited by rcab; 10-11-17 at 06:16 PM.
    10-11-17 03:52 PM
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't accept a -2 model in the US; it's crippled given the lack of low-band access, which is real important for either T-Mobile or AT&T.
    10-11-17 08:28 PM
    I have a 60 that is a 100-2 version, unlocked from Amazon. I live in Northern Nevada and ATT is my carrier. I have not had any issues with connectivity even in rural areas.
    10-12-17 01:51 AM
    I am on T-Mo USA too. Here is a list that any phone on this network must support. Failing any one of these on the list should make a phone a no-go:

1. Band 12 support
    2. Band 71 support (add this within 12 months of this writing. First phone to support band 66 is the LG V30 out now)
    3. VoLTE
    4. Wi-Fi calling
    5. HDVoice
    6. Visual Voicemail integration in the dialer

Updated per tickerguy's input below.
    Last edited by dirk_ddiggler; 10-12-17 at 05:24 PM.
    10-12-17 02:34 PM
    66 is not going to be critical on T-Mobile USA for a long time if ever; it's a superset of Band 4, which is the high-frequency AWS band that T-Mobile has a lot of spectrum in already. You're thinking of Band 71, which is the new 600Mhz spectrum. It will not be material to your coverage for about the next 2 years unless you're in one of a very few places, but beyond that point, yes, it will be quite important.

I agree with this list otherwise, but I would also add to it WiFi calling connectivity.
    10-12-17 04:18 PM
    here is the latest reply from BB. I wrote back and said once again I live in the USA and am not concerned with Global usage. I want my phone to have the same that i sent in. I asked to have someone beyond front line CSR to contact me and not to take another 24 hours. I have a feeling they will ignore me and since a phone is in the UPS system arriving tomorrow that I will be stuck with it.

Hello Rod,

Thank you for your recent contact with BlackBerry® Customer Support.

We have confirmed with our repair center and the device will be equipped with the parts to be used globally. They will include the correct bands to work with any unlocked carrier.

We do apologize for the inconvenience this may cause but we are working with out repair center to provide a perfectly working device.

Thank you for choosing BlackBerry. We hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Customer Support
    NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    Europe: +44 1753 558400
    Worldwide: +11-647-426-1108
    10-12-17 04:56 PM
    here is the latest reply from BB. I wrote back and said once again I live in the USA and am not concerned with Global usage. I want my phone to have the same that i sent in. I asked to have someone beyond front line CSR to contact me and not to take another 24 hours. I have a feeling they will ignore me and since a phone is in the UPS system arriving tomorrow that I will be stuck with it.

Hello Rod,

Thank you for your recent contact with BlackBerry® Customer Support.

We have confirmed with our repair center and the device will be equipped with the parts to be used globally. They will include the correct bands to work with any unlocked carrier.

We do apologize for the inconvenience this may cause but we are working with out repair center to provide a perfectly working device.

Thank you for choosing BlackBerry. We hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Customer Support
    NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    Europe: +44 1753 558400
    Worldwide: +11-647-426-1108
    You should ask for a KeyOne if they don't have parts for the BBA100-1. Then turn around and sell it. Compared to the D60, the K1 has a lot less screen real estate, and the Snapdragon 625 is a big downgrade to the 820 in browser rendering speed. Better battery life though... You can pickup a new LG G6 for $400 +/-. Caseology Parallax case for the G6 is $12.
    10-12-17 05:33 PM
    I already tried that in conversation with them before they said that they were sending the BBA100-2 model. In fact the CSR told me that they have never given anyone a Keyone as a replacement. She said you cannot believe everything posted on Crackberry. She said it is not possible to get the Keyone and she was not aware of any type of credit or price adjustment toward buying something else. While we were talking on the phone she said she got an email saying that they were replacing the phone. She gave me the IEMI number and I searched it online to find it is a BBA100-02. I told her this and she said that they were sending me a global version of the DTEK 60. I have written 5 emails back and I posted above the only response I got so far and that response took almost 24 hours to arrive.
    10-12-17 05:47 PM
    I already tried that in conversation with them before they said that they were sending the BBA100-2 model. In fact the CSR told me that they have never given anyone a Keyone as a replacement. She said you cannot believe everything posted on Crackberry. She said it is not possible to get the Keyone and she was not aware of any type of credit or price adjustment toward buying something else. While we were talking on the phone she said she got an email saying that they were replacing the phone. She gave me the IEMI number and I searched it online to find it is a BBA100-02. I told her this and she said that they were sending me a global version of the DTEK 60. I have written 5 emails back and I posted above the only response I got so far and that response took almost 24 hours to arrive.
    BB [Mobile] has a duty to replace, repair, or offer a refund for your phone. A BBA100-2 is not honoring the terms of the warranty as it would lack the features that are necessary for it to operate as a BBA100-1 would on US networks. Since they cannot repair your BBA100-1 and they are not willing to offer a replacement that operates just as well on US networks (K1), the only remaining remedy is for them to issue a refund.

You need to stand your ground and demand it. Don't let them BS you out of your rights.
    10-13-17 12:59 AM
    Yep -- the warranty is "like for like"; there's an implied warranty of merchantability and fitness for purpose on anything sold to a consumer, which in the US cannot be waived or modified.

A BBA100-2 in exchange for a -1 violates that implied warranty of merchantability. Nobody would knowingly sell that as a "US bandplan phone" as it is missing two of the base US bands that are necessary for acceptable service on US carriers. The only way you as a consumer would get one of these originally would be to intentionally buy it across national boundaries (or for a gray marketer to sell you one across national boundaries, which is legal but only with disclosure that is a gray-market device.)

BlackBerry's support apparatus cannot claim these are equivalent devices; if they cannot repair your device or replace it with a refurbished -1 model then their only actual option is a refund of your purchase price, since during the period of the warranty, during which the unit failed to perform within their express warranty's representations, they are unable to return the unit to acceptable functional status, or replace it with a like unit.
    10-13-17 08:12 AM
    My phone arrived and maybe all the emails and conversations worked. The phone is a BBA100-1 with August 5, 2017 patch and build # AAN548.

They sent me a different phone than the one they originally told me they were sending. This phone's IEMI is not the one they referenced on the phone and in their emails. I want to thank those who commented and encouraged me to stand firm. I hope that everyone else that has had battery problems will not have this problem. The phone has only 30% so I have to charge it and see what type of battery life it has.

MODS YOU CAN CLOSE OR LEAVE THIS OPEN
    moonflyer and 00stryder like this.
    10-13-17 03:26 PM
    cool...
    10-13-17 06:45 PM
    My phone arrived and maybe all the emails and conversations worked. The phone is a BBA100-1 with August 5, 2017 patch and build # AAN548.

They sent me a different phone than the one they originally told me they were sending. This phone's IEMI is not the one they referenced on the phone and in their emails. I want to thank those who commented and encouraged me to stand firm. I hope that everyone else that has had battery problems will not have this problem. The phone has only 30% so I have to charge it and see what type of battery life it has.

MODS YOU CAN CLOSE OR LEAVE THIS OPEN
    Please do tell us about your experience with the new phone.
    10-13-17 08:03 PM
    Still loading apps and doing settings so not real active use tonight. After almost 2 hours on battery is showing 86% left with estimated 8 hours left. I never got anything like that since I bought the phone. So I would say that it is looking promising for this battery.
    10-13-17 10:15 PM
    To anyone else reading this thread.... Let the OP's experience as well as other anecdotes (i.e. D60 replaced by K1) remind us the following:

1. The D60 was produced in very limited quantities (10k ?)
    2. Hardware support is already difficult and will be minimal to non-existent very soon.
    3. This phone was born and will die on Marshmallow.
    4. We are "lab rats."

This weekend I pulled the sim from my D60 and moved it to the LG G6 I got for a couple of peanuts. 'Nuff said.
    10-15-17 02:56 AM
    Meh. They sent him a fixed -1 model and it appears to be working fine.

As is mine, by the way, in which they replaced the battery.

If you think you'll have better support on the LG, well, in a year or two NO YOU WON'T and it too has a non-removable battery, so WHEN it requires replacement who's going to do it?
    10-15-17 07:10 AM
    Meh. They sent him a fixed -1 model and it appears to be working fine.

As is mine, by the way, in which they replaced the battery.

If you think you'll have better support on the LG, well, in a year or two NO YOU WON'T and it too has a non-removable battery, so WHEN it requires replacement who's going to do it?
    LG shipped 80 million phones in FY 2017 and the G6 comes with a second year warranty included. I have had several LG phones before, some LG branded and some Google Nexus, and I never had issue with any of them. A friend had his V10 bootloop and he got a replacement from LG when it was 6 months out of warranty. His other LG phones, a G3 and a G4 lived into ripe old age.

BB shipped 207 thousand units Q4 2016, so we can be generous and say they shipped 1 million for FY 2017 with the TCL transition and all that. So LG shipped 80 times more phones than BB branded units. Facts hurt.

If anything, I am in much better hands w/ LG than BBM.
    10-15-17 03:53 PM
    You have no evidence for that. Again, I had a problem and my phone was fixed and shipped back on a 2-day turn, which is pretty darn good (they actually only had it for one day, this means, since it had to be boxed and out on the second.)

The repair was both flawless and was done with no garfing whatsoever; they said they'd issue an RMA and a couple of hours later I had a prepaid shipping label for the phone to go back to them.

How much "better hands" can you be in than that?

If you like LG, buy their stuff.
    10-15-17 05:50 PM
    For your 2 day turn around story to be true, not only would you be shipping your device FedEx next day, but most likely you would need the "first thing tomorrow" service. You would also need to drop it off or have it picked up on time for next day service.
    Tech time about 30 minutes end to end, then FedEx next day back to you. It also means no lag whatsoever in both the receiving and shipping departments at TCL. I am going to tell you bluntly that I am not sure if I can believe your 2 day turnaround story...
    10-16-17 07:14 PM
    I said they had it for two days; it got to them one day and was boxed and out the door the next afternoon.

They provided a NEXT DAY air label (FedEx) for the RMA, incidentally, and shipped it back UPS air, signature required.
    10-16-17 08:39 PM
    they got mine on a Monday and I got the replacement on Friday. they shipped back UPS next day air with signature required. while they had it I was going back and forth in emails saying I wanted BBA100-1 and not global. in earlier posting I copied their email about sending me a global version. I got the BBA100-1 version. They having on Monday and I having on Friday is quick. It did take nearly a week to get the email with RMA label
    10-16-17 11:32 PM
26 12