Hi to all, after a 5 years old PRIV union, my Priv has finished its energy on the battery and on its speed. Considering that a original battery replace is not as easy to find here in Italy and I don't think it will fix the overheating problems and the bootloop problems that are always more frequent. Can i consider in this year buying a DTEK60 for 199 euros. Apart the same Android version of Priv and its oldness, is it suitable as daily driver to change with my Priv?
    Thanks to your attention and for yours answers.
    06-15-20 09:22 AM
    I would not if I was you.

My DTEK60 also suffer from battery overheat,
    not eligible for OS upgrade past Android 6.4, receiving no more updates and I am on my 2nd battery replacement already and it barely keeps a charge for langer than 10 hours.

No, rather consider Nokia.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-15-20 09:33 AM
    Hi to all, after a 5 years old PRIV union, my Priv has finished its energy on the battery and on its speed. Considering that a original battery replace is not as easy to find here in Italy and I don't think it will fix the overheating problems and the bootloop problems that are always more frequent. Can i consider in this year buying a DTEK60 for 199 euros. Apart the same Android version of Priv and its oldness, is it suitable as daily driver to change with my Priv?
    Heck no, especially at that price. Look for newest Android 10 version hardware in your price range. Then install BBApp suite from Google Play Store to achieve your almost nirvana
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-15-20 09:34 AM
    So sad thinking to abandon Blackberry...
    06-15-20 09:52 AM
    You can always get a KEY2.
    06-15-20 10:07 AM
    So sad thinking to abandon Blackberry...
    It's sad....

But that's like saying it's going to be sad breaking up with a girlfriend that left you two years ago. Acceptance takes a while... but it' shouldn't take that long.

199 euros will go a long way towards something that's much more current. And being current is really key to being secure.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-15-20 10:35 AM
    You can always get a KEY2.
    Seriously?!? Based on current prices the DTEK60 is a better value than Key2 right now and neither is a good value right now.
    pgg101 likes this.
    06-15-20 10:55 AM
    Seriously?!? Based on current prices the DTEK60 is a better value than Key2 right now and neither is a good value right now.
    If you are a BlackBerry fan and want to continue with a BlackBerry device the latest and most solid is a KEY2.
    06-15-20 10:59 AM
    If you are a BlackBerry fan and want to continue with a BlackBerry device the latest and most solid is a KEY2.
    It's practically no better than a KEYone or Motion once the monthly updates stop in a month. I'm a bigger fan than anyone, but I can't honestly recommend Key2 with the OP question.
    06-15-20 11:05 AM
    It's practically no better than a KEYone or Motion once the monthly updates stop in a month. I'm a bigger fan than anyone, but I can't honestly recommend Key2 with the OP question.
    If you want the best BlackBerry keyboard device available today definitely a KEY2. See no issues that for next 24 months at least will work perfectly.
    Also KEY2 is an upgrade on KEYone. Have both and my KEY2 goes way better with the added RAM and SOC.
    Pd having using my PRIV since Jun 2016 and going just fine. Yes standard apps from Playstore only.
    06-15-20 11:18 AM
    If you want the best BlackBerry keyboard device available today definitely a KEY2. See no issues that for next 24 months at least will work perfectly.
    Also KEY2 is an upgrade on KEYone. Have both and my KEY2 goes way better with the added RAM and SOC.
    Pd having using my PRIV since Jun 2016 and going just fine. Yes standard apps from Playstore only.

I guess you could recommend the Evolve too him, as it might work OK in most European markets?? I get the feeling the OP isn't a keyboard person.

I'll stick with forget about BlackBerry (as they have already forgot about you), and just buy the most current phone you can with whatever budget you have. Don't ask strangers on the internet that don't know you or your market, ask your friends and family about what they use and works well in the local market.

My recommendation... see if you can find a used Pixel 3A.
    pgg101 and elfabio80 like this.
    06-15-20 11:33 AM
    If OP wanted a PKB, I don't think OP would be considering DTEK60 now.

You can be a BlackBerry fan and give full reasonable information. You don't see me recommending the Motion either and I'm typing reply on the one I bought few weeks ago. I own a PRIV too and I've had almost five years. How does that change giving a reasonable answer?
    06-15-20 12:33 PM
    Check out this channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCEJDL24c6qPF_z6a4EeGzzQ
    Jan Ole even has a dedicated video regarding Priv vs DTEK60 comparison.
    This guy (Daniel) also owned DTEK60: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC86itjVHCHqx4GbNjm6y0UA
    I enjoyed watching his videos.

As for my own opinion, I had never cared about handset's look and feel but DTEK60 made me to change my mind. Camera looks like a peephole and it's ugly, "thanks to" it's thickness the phone is unstable when it's on a table, a couch or on a similar surface, it constantly tends to roll. LED indicator is not even close to other Blackberry phones. Its body is made from glass so depending on the climate in your country it can hurt (I was attending a meeting with video when it was -10 Celcius outdoors, now I hate glass bodies). On the paper, the sound speakers should be great, and they are in terms of the power, but I love the sound's quality on Z30 more. From the practical stand of point I would recommend DTEK50 instead of 60, or stay with Priv.
    Other than that, check the videos I've mentioned about. The hardware is very similar to Google Pixel so the performance is close.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-20 12:41 PM
    Check out this channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCEJDL24c6qPF_z6a4EeGzzQ
    Jan Ole even has a dedicated video regarding Priv vs DTEK60 comparison.
    This guy (Daniel) also owned DTEK60: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC86itjVHCHqx4GbNjm6y0UA
    I enjoyed watching his videos.

As for my own opinion, I had never cared about handset's look and feel but DTEK60 made me to change my mind. Camera looks like a peephole and it's ugly, "thanks to" it's thickness the phone is unstable when it's on a table, a couch or on a similar surface, it constantly tends to roll. LED indicator is not even close to other Blackberry phones. Its body is made from glass so depending on the climate in your country it can hurt (I was attending a meeting with video when it was -10 Celcius outdoors, now I hate glass bodies). On the paper, the sound speakers should be great, and they are in terms of the power, but I love the sound's quality on Z30 more. From the practical stand of point I would recommend DTEK50 instead of 60, or stay with Priv.
    Other than that, check the videos I've mentioned about. The hardware is very similar to Google Pixel so the performance is close.

Posted via CB10
    Except a brand new $199 Nokia 5.3 with Android 10 (with 3 years of future patches and 2 more letter upgrades) blows the DTEK60 out of the water.

Why anyone would buy a 2016 EOL device is beyond me.
    06-15-20 12:47 PM
    Except a brand new $199 Nokia 5.3 with Android 10 (with 3 years of future patches and 2 more letter upgrades) blows the DTEK60 out of the water.

Why anyone would buy a 2016 EOL device is beyond me.
    In my country DTEK60 had the best price/value ratio on the market back in 2019. I spent some time trying to analyze what was the difference between Android 6 vs 7 vs 8 vs 9. If we keep security patches out of the equation then I don't see anything crucial in a newer Android. The vast majority of apps works on Android 6. I don't get when people complain about a missing Android 9 upgrade for Key2 or stuff like that. Come on, you share so much personal data with 3rd party apps that a slightly outdated security patch is not worth worrying about.

Posted via CB10
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-15-20 01:09 PM
    In my country DTEK60 had the best price/value ratio on the market back in 2019. I spent some time trying to analyze what was the difference between Android 6 vs 7 vs 8 vs 9. If we keep security patches out of the equation then I don't see anything crucial in a newer Android. The vast majority of apps works on Android 6. I don't get when people complain about a missing Android 9 upgrade for Key2 or stuff like that. Come on, you share so much personal data with 3rd party apps that a slightly outdated security patch is not worth worrying about.

Posted via CB10
    Android 6 (Marshmallow) on an Aug 2018 patch level isn't "slightly outdated". Then ask that question again in Jun of 2023 when the Nokia 5.3 is running Android 12 on the June 2023 security patch.

That's five years of patches, and six Android versions later. My goodness.

And I'm sorry, but security patches on Android are critical. I would never be more than 90 days out of date personally.
    Last edited by conite; 06-15-20 at 01:25 PM.
    pgg101 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-15-20 01:14 PM
    If you're handling your client's data on enterprise apps, security updates do matter.
    06-15-20 01:14 PM
    If OP wanted a PKB, I don't think OP would be considering DTEK60 now.

You can be a BlackBerry fan and give full reasonable information. You don't see me recommending the Motion either and I'm typing reply on the one I bought few weeks ago. I own a PRIV too and I've had almost five years. How does that change giving a reasonable answer?
    OP did say Sad to abandon BlackBerry ...so its a reasonable answer with different options. There is no right or wrong answer here on this one just some friendly advice for OP.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-15-20 01:42 PM
    Android 6 (Marshmallow) on an Aug 2018 patch level isn't "slightly outdated". Then ask that question again in Jun of 2023 when the Nokia 5.3 is running Android 12 on the June 2023 security patch.

That's five years of patches, and six Android versions later. My goodness.

And I'm sorry, but security patches on Android are critical. I would never be more than 90 days out of date personally.
    Same people call Apple users sheep for blindly following Apple....

I can see an argument for buying a KEY2 still - if you really must have a PKB, and your going to be careful. But the DTEKs and Motions are just too old - and due to their "collectability" by some fans, still overpriced.
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-15-20 01:53 PM
    OP did say Sad to abandon BlackBerry ...so its a reasonable answer with different options. There is no right or wrong answer here on this one just some friendly advice for OP.
    If that makes you feel better about suggesting two year old hardware with three year old software offered at some current new introduction flagship prices.

Look, we're all volunteers here. I don't really worry about feelings or political correctness here. I was all for telling people about the $150-$200 USD BBTax when the KEYone and Key2 were introduced. That being said, I still love fooling around with my BlackBerry toys as Dunt claims.

I can't in good conscience tell OP my preference or suggest OEM since it seemed price was important. Repeatedly, I'll tell someone to anteup for the PKB however.

I've trashed Unihertz Titan for the lack of everything BlackBerry except PKB now, but it's somewhere between $350-$750 USD depending on who's selling.

The $150 USD BBTax was for PKB and BBAndroid since BlackBerry PRIV and DTEK introduction. Sometime more but it was pretty current. Now it's a $600-$800 USD BBTax and only for the PKB if you consider the original BlackBerry proposition.

How do we keep our trusted member status meaningful if we're just all fanboys with our replies? I know I can be a RichardCranium here and I enjoy doing so 95% of time. I'd love to rack up my violations and get banned like the old days and disappear for a week or two.

95% of time I give the wrong ahole facetious answers proudly. Surely, you can see that sometimes there's a time for a right answer for the masses that clashes with our intense support for BlackBerry phones. You and I are well beyond just fans, but the actual fanatical addicts..
    06-15-20 02:17 PM
    How do we keep our trusted member status meaningful if we're just all fanboys with our replies? I know I can be a RichardCranium here and I enjoy doing so 95% of time. I'd love to rack up my violations and get banned like the old days and disappear for a week or two.
    Use to not take too much to get a violation.... I must have disable those notifications or something. :0
    06-15-20 02:36 PM
    Same people call Apple users sheep for blindly following Apple....

I can see an argument for buying a KEY2 still - if you really must have a PKB, and your going to be careful. But the DTEKs and Motions are just too old - and due to their "collectability" by some fans, still overpriced.
    Agree with you...yes the DTEK's and Motions are just plain fun past there term. As you said still an argument to buy a KEY2. This is for anyone who just happened to like BlackBerry devices. Nothing else.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-15-20 02:46 PM
    Agree with you...yes the DTEK's and Motions are just plain fun past there term. As you said still an argument to buy a KEY2. This is for anyone who just happened to like BlackBerry devices. Nothing else.
    But many here will also say that buying a LEAP should be considered as well...

It's all good, as long as folks understand where things are these days.
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-15-20 03:38 PM
    The vast majority of apps works on Android 6.
    That is true today. Tomorrow you may learn that something that you depend on has ended support for Android 6.
    If you really want a BlackBerry put that 199 Euro toward an Android 8 device. Paying that much for a DTEK in 2020 that has a good chance of having a bad battery just seems like a bad decision.
    06-16-20 11:08 AM
    That is true today. Tomorrow you may learn that something that you depend on has ended support for Android 6.
    If you really want a BlackBerry put that 199 Euro toward an Android 8 device. Paying that much for a DTEK in 2020 that has a good chance of having a bad battery just seems like a bad decision.
    Fully agree. With BlackBerry brand KEYone and KEY2 have you covered with Android 8 and KEY2 additionally with active security updates.
    BTW good TechOdyssey video went up today in YouTube with regards to KEY2 in 2020.

Last edited by Rico4you; 06-16-20 at 01:54 PM.
    06-16-20 01:42 PM
32 12