Is it necessary /recommended to have a virus protection app such as Kaspersky on the Dtek60?

I know there were available apps for BlackBerry but from what I understood they were totally unnecessary.
    11-30-16 08:35 AM
    Just use the device intelligently, and you will not need an anti-virus.

Get your apps from Google Play.
    11-30-16 08:49 AM
    Is it necessary /recommended to have a virus protection app such as Kaspersky on the Dtek60?

I know there were available apps for BlackBerry but from what I understood they were totally unnecessary.
    I am an cyber security Professional. My answer is a BIG YES for Android and I always tell this to people during all my Security Awareness sessions. Reasons are aplenty.
    Last edited by johnlen7; 11-30-16 at 09:28 AM.
    11-30-16 09:16 AM
    Just use the device intelligently, and you will not need an anti-virus.

Get your apps from Google Play.
    Apps are not the only way by which Malware infect your Mobile. It can be something as simple as a malicious link or an Advertisement pop up or an attachment which will run the mill. There are infected and malicious Apps on Google store too.

End point security softwares like Trend Micro, Mcafee, Kaspersky are recommended and are close to Zero Day protections whereas OS patches and updates to fix newly discovered flaws are atleast 1 month old. Plenty of other reasons too.
    WiseManPL likes this.
    11-30-16 09:19 AM
    Apps are not the only way by which Malware infect your Mobile. It can be something as simple as a malicious link or an Advertisement pop up which will run the mill. There are infected and malicious Apps on Google store too.

End point security softwares like Trend Micro, Mcafee, Kaspersky are recommended and are close to Zero Day protections whereas OS patches and updates to fix newly discovered flaws are atleast 1 month old. Plenty of other reasons too.
    While all true, nothing beats common sense.

I've never been infected, and have enjoyed bloat-free mobile computing for years.
    11-30-16 09:28 AM
    Apps are not the only way by which Malware infect your Mobile. It can be something as simple as a malicious link or an Advertisement pop up or an attachment which will run the mill. There are infected and malicious Apps on Google store too.

I think that was Conite 's point, just use your device Intelligently.
    11-30-16 09:28 AM
    While all true, nothing beats common sense.

I've never been infected, and have enjoyed bloat-free mobile computing for years.
    I dont want to argue on this as I am seeing stuff on a daily basis and my comment is based on my knowledge in the field.

I do demo exploits where users dont even realize that their mobiles have been infected. Something which I tell people - You dont see something doesnt mean that you are not being monitored or attacked. Example: Certain Governments spy on all common man communications including devices and did you ever notice. No! It took Mr. Snowden to reveal facts to public.

Anyway, common sense is that you install an Antivirus. You dont lose anything.
    11-30-16 09:34 AM
    I think that was Conite 's point, just use your device Intelligently.
    I agree to the point that Use intelligence is of utmost importance because no Security can prevent you 100%. But its always a wise idea to have an automated software do the tasks for you just to be on safer side.
    11-30-16 09:38 AM
    I am an cyber security Professional. My answer is a BIG YES for Android and I always tell this to people during all my Security Awareness sessions. Reasons are aplenty.
    Are you saying all cell phone needs security software??? Apple and Windows Phone?
    11-30-16 09:39 AM
    Example: Certain Governments spy on all common man communications including devices and did you ever notice. No! It took Mr. Snowden to reveal facts to public.

Anyway, common sense is that you install an Antivirus. You dont lose anything.
    And Kaspersky will help with that how?

Plus, CPU time is precious on a mobile device.
    11-30-16 09:39 AM
    And Kapersky will help with that how?

Just an example to say that things do go un noticed in human eyes. I run exploits where people dont see but Anti Malware catches my exploits.
    11-30-16 09:41 AM
    And Kaspersky will help with that how?

Its up to you to decide.
    My suggestion is to use 'Antivirus' programs as modern ones do more than Virus protections. Thanks.
    11-30-16 09:45 AM
    Just an example to say that things do go un noticed in human eyes. I run exploits where people dont see but Anti Malware catches my exploits.
    Can you cite specific examples instead of making broad generalizations and having us take your word as an "expert"?
    11-30-16 09:46 AM
    Are you saying all cell phone needs security software??? Apple and Windows Phone?
    Apple not required. Even the leading Antivirus Software solution Trend Micro does not provide Antivirus for IOS and BlackBerry. As I said, Android a BIG YES.

Will the thief defenitely come to your house if you leave door unlocked?
    Probability is LOW. But you would still LOCK right...why? Because What if he comes...
    Similarly, you may get away with not using an Antivirus, but what If....
    Antivirus could be your security alarm and trap in the analogy.
    Last edited by johnlen7; 11-30-16 at 10:12 AM.
    CNX66 likes this.
    11-30-16 09:48 AM
    Can you cite specific examples instead of making broad generalizations and having us take your word as an "expert"?
    No thanks.
    I am no expert.
    Please forgive me for trying to come into this forum and pass on my expertise and generate some awareness. Thanks.

As for people who want to trust my words... Please do install a good Antivirus on your Android phones Trend Micro/Mcafee/Kaspersky recommended. Malware bytes is good too works a bit differently from traditional Antivirus solutions but does the job extremely well.
    CNX66, aecgda and buwee like this.
    11-30-16 09:50 AM
    No thanks.
    I am no expert.
    Please forgive me for trying to come into this forum and pass on my expertise and generate some awareness. Thanks.

As for people who want to trust my words... Please do install a good Antivirus on your Android phones Trend Micro/Mcafee/Kaspersky recommended. Malware bytes is good too works a bit differently from traditional Antivirus solutions but does the job extremely well.
    Look, there's no need to take offense. But if you're going to make a broad generalization on a forum with many users, cite some specific examples of how a user can be exploited without knowledge/scenarios, post a link to a recommended article etc.
    Last edited by ajwan; 11-30-16 at 10:31 AM.
    11-30-16 10:18 AM
    Look, there's no need to take offense. But if you're going to make a broad generalization on a forum with many users, cite some specific examples/scenarios.
    I am not here to prove what and who I am.
    I am not making any generalizations here. I am sharing knowledge which any Cyber Security professional will offer you.

Its your choice whether to take it or leave it. If you doubt, research by yourself...I have no obligation to convince you about my 'genuinity'. My Code of Ethics which I abide to, is to share knowledge on Information Security.
    CNX66 likes this.
    11-30-16 10:30 AM
    I am no expert.
    Please forgive me for trying to come into this forum and pass on my expertise and generate some awareness.
    We are just having a discussion.

The point for me is that there has to be an absolute show-stopper reason to keep a giant blob of monitoring software continually running, consuming resources and battery. I see no reasonable attack vector which could not be defended against through safe computing.
    liquidneon likes this.
    11-30-16 10:36 AM
    We are just having a discussion.

The point for me is that there has to be an absolute show-stopper reason to keep a giant blob of monitoring software continually running, consuming resources and battery. I see no reasonable attack vector which could not be defended against through safe computing.
    Agreed that Safe Computing can prevent hell lot.
    But one statistic which I want to point out here is that around 80% of security incidents happen because of human errors (again not my personal statistic, statistic published by IBM I believe in 2014 :P)

Safe computing will do the trick if human errors are eliminated. I prefer and recommend people to have End point Security software so that you will be protected even if you are out of your senses
    Have a look at how the latest Android Ransomware works...just click of a Link is all is required to initiate the malware action
    11-30-16 10:57 AM
    Its up to you to decide.
    My suggestion is to use 'Antivirus' programs as modern ones do more than Virus protections. Thanks.
    You're right they do a whole lot more like big down your device, cause lag and act as a virus themselves.
    11-30-16 11:00 AM
    You're right they do a whole lot more like big down your device, cause lag and act as a virus themselves.
    Whats your point here?
    That Antivirus programs dont work as intented or that they cause lags? If your point is the second one...then it doesnt invalidate anything which I said.
    11-30-16 11:05 AM
    As far as I know most issues that can arise are PEBKAC, so just be cautious and stay away from Chinese APK sites or other traps.
    11-30-16 11:05 AM
    Whats your point here?
    That Antivirus programs dont work as intented or that they cause lags? If your point is the second one...then it doesnt invalidate anything which I said.
    My point is as everyone else has said, use your device wisely rather then an antivirus which in my experience bog the device down. If you're okay with that trade off then it's fine but to suggest it's absolutely necessary to use it for everyone is ridiculous.
    11-30-16 11:11 AM
    My point is as everyone else has said, use your device wisely rather then an antivirus which in my experience big the device down. If you're okay with that trade off then it's fine but to suggest it's absolutely necessary to use it for everyone is ridiculous.
    It is recommended and advised to take Health Insurance, not a necessity.
    God forbid, if something happens Insurance will take care of you. Its just the same here.

In Enterprise MDMs where I work, we don't allow Android devices to connect without Antivirus...this is the baseline compliance check. If you are using mobile devices issued by your Organisation and managed by MDM, chances are that you already have Antivirus running.

Anyway I will change my suggestion/advise to 'recommendation' if thats the word you are looking for
    Last edited by johnlen7; 11-30-16 at 11:33 AM.
    11-30-16 11:20 AM
    Agreed that Safe Computing can prevent hell lot.
    But one statistic which I want to point out here is that around 80% of security incidents happen because of human errors (again not my personal statistic, statistic published by IBM I believe in 2014 :P)

Safe computing will do the trick if human errors are eliminated. I prefer and recommend people to have End point Security software so that you will be protected even if you are out of your senses
    Have a look at how the latest Android Ransomware works...just click of a Link is all is required to initiate the malware action

What phone are you currently using? OS? What AV are you running on your own device?
    11-30-16 11:21 AM
61 123