Hey all,

Dropped my DTEK60 (again) last night, and naturally my flip case did nothing to protect the phone, thus allowing it to land face down on concrete. The upper portion of the screen suffered the most damage and therefore the digitizer in that area no longer functions. However, overnight and during the course of the day today I noticed a dark discoloration that slowly extending down to the bottom of the screen, now covering the majority of the screen and only leaving a small sliver that is not affected. Needless to say, I can no longer use the screen.

Is there anyway for me to duplicate my phone screen on my laptop for example to help facilitate me transferring files, wiping the device once my new phone arrives? I know I can use Find My Phone for the latter but want to make sure I don't miss anything. Something like AirDroid would work... if I could use my phone to actually set up the app.

I'm pretty sure I'm SOL.
    04-09-18 08:32 PM
    Get a USB-C to USB adapter and plug a mouse in. In theory, that should work with anything plug and play (mouses, keyboards).

A while back I suggested this to another dude here on the forums, he said it worked.

If your screen isn't even displaying images, then you're in deeper waters.. I don't think anyone has ever tried, but you could try a bigger bundle of adapters so you can plug in a mouse and a monitor, but I have no idea if it's gonna work at all
    00stryder likes this.
    04-09-18 08:47 PM
    Yep that would be a wonderful idea, which I had initially planned to do when it first dropped and I noticed the unresponsive areas on the screen, but sadly the display is unreadable at this point; it essentially looks near-blacked out save a small corner in the bottom right hand side of the screen.
    04-09-18 09:26 PM
    Well, in that case, maybe try a USB-C to HDMI adapter, connecting to a smart TV? This way you could explore the smart TV functionalities to navigate your phone. But again, I've never tried this.. if you do try, please post the results here

P.S.: As both ideas are untested, I'd bet my money on the multiple adapter idea, to connect a mouse and a monitor at the same time. It seems more unlikely you'll be able to navigate your phone through a smart TV
    Last edited by wmatsura; 04-09-18 at 10:57 PM.
    04-09-18 10:38 PM
    The multiport idea using the USB-C port seems like a promising idea, though I'm reading in reviews that this only works with some mobile devices like the Pixel that support output through USB type C "alt mode?" Does anyone know if the DTEK60 supports this? (Seems unlikely but hoping for the best.)
    04-09-18 11:46 PM
    How about installing TeamViewer Host for Android(even via USB Debug + PC) and connecting to the phone from PC? TeamViewer is free for personal use, so giving it a try is free.
    04-10-18 05:19 AM
    Wouldn't be able to set up the client side or activate USB Debug mode, the screen is literally pitch black. But thanks for the suggestion.
    04-10-18 05:29 AM
    Wouldn't be able to set up the client side or activate USB Debug mode, the screen is literally pitch black. But thanks for the suggestion.
    Yeah, setting up TeamViewer Host directly seems to be impossible. T_T
    04-12-18 05:04 PM
    Well, in that case, maybe try a USB-C to HDMI adapter, connecting to a smart TV? This way you could explore the smart TV functionalities to navigate your phone. But again, I've never tried this.. if you do try, please post the results here

P.S.: As both ideas are untested, I'd bet my money on the multiple adapter idea, to connect a mouse and a monitor at the same time. It seems more unlikely you'll be able to navigate your phone through a smart TV
    Update: got the adapter, tested it on my laptop to TV (worked fine), but no-go on the DTEK60 or even the Pixel 2 I bought. Not sure if either phone supports Alt Mode for USB Type C.

I'm going to try on one of the TVs at Best Buy/Walmart to make sure it's not just an issue with mine (bought back in 2013 I think), but assuming it's a no go I'll probably just remote wipe my device and call it a loss.

Can I deactivate my Google Account / phone password using Find My Phone? I figured I might as well sell my DTEK60 to somebody willing to fix the screen and I don't want to lock them out of the device.
    04-14-18 05:49 PM
    Can I deactivate my Google Account / phone password using Find My Phone? I figured I might as well sell my DTEK60 to somebody willing to fix the screen and I don't want to lock them out of the device.
    Yeah, too bad.. It would be really really nice if it worked. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to test on those new Android TV's, as a hail Mary..

By the way, this hole discussion would be unnecessary if BB hadn't killed it's desktop software back in BB10. It was a sweet tool.

About your Google account, log on it via PC. Somewhere in there you'll find the option to manage devices using your Google account (find my phone will only erase your data, if I recall correctly)
    04-15-18 02:04 PM
    Yeah, too bad.. It would be really really nice if it worked. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to test on those new Android TV's, as a hail Mary..

By the way, this hole discussion would be unnecessary if BB hadn't killed it's desktop software back in BB10. It was a sweet tool.

About your Google account, log on it via PC. Somewhere in there you'll find the option to manage devices using your Google account (find my phone will only erase your data, if I recall correctly)
    Gotcha, thanks! I'll definitely make sure to do a full scrub with the desktop website. Knowing BlackBerry and their emphasis on security though, I'm still worried my device pin/lock is still going to be active even after disassociating my Google account.

Yeah I loved the BlackBerry desktop software and by extension Blend; honestly if this happened to my Z30 (which I still have) I would have easily been able to transfer over any files. The one caveat would be SMS messages but that's the same issue I face now anyway. Ah well.
    04-15-18 04:45 PM