Hi,

I have decided to bail on BB, really gutted as I have had BB going way back, as well of every recent BB10 device through to the DTEK60... but I think their lack of consumer focus burnt me slightly with the Passport / BB10 and now its just history repeating with the DTEK60.

I messaged the Android sister forum to Crackberry and asked about Pixel updates and received this reply from several people "3 years of security and OS updates guaranteed through to 2018"... matched against no OS update as of yet and no security updates in two months, so I have ordered a Pixel and sold my DTEK60.

Just wanted to thank you all on the CBK forum, not been registered for that long but the quality of the earlier (true) BB devices meant I didnt really need to ask or query things until BB10 and beyond.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-13-17 08:36 AM
    Enjoy your new device!
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-13-17 12:45 PM
    Enjoy your new device!
    Can you please give us some info on the security update situation and/or the likelihood for Nougat?
    07-13-17 01:26 PM
    Can you please give us some info on the security update situation and/or the likelihood for Nougat?
    - Nougat - Probably not gonna happen (Note: This is just a guess)
    - Security Updates - They've only really missed on 2-3 months, they'll get things back in line soon.
    07-13-17 01:28 PM
    Enjoy your new device!
    Bla1ze just a question... I have a sim free phone, with a sim only contract with Vodafone UK.

I have asked VF twice whether there is anything stopping the sec updates from their side and they said no... but, I was just talking to their customer services and mentioned I had ordered a Pixel, they asked why that phone and why I was swapping etc and I mentioned the updates, the guy then said that the Blackberry updates where defo sent through each month, he could see them on his system but could not confirm which devices... then he said that Blackberry services was not enabled on my contract and that's what allows the updates!!!

So after managing not to scream down the phone I told him that I had asked previously and he just apologised and said my phone should sync within 24 hours and I should get the update!!!

So now I don't know what to do, I love the DTEK but am a security nut and want monthly updates... so as you tend to know more than the rest, from what you know have the updates been sent each month as per what @bbhelp have told me, or as per bb phone support have they not gone out and how come no one seems to have then if they have gone out... of course the update he saw on his system could be the K1 but he seemed to think it was for all.

I can cancel my Pixel order before midnight, so if I am going to get the updates that's what I will do.
    07-13-17 01:53 PM
    I can cancel my Pixel order before midnight, so if I am going to get the updates that's what I will do.
    You're free to wait but it sounds like he fed you a line of BS. The problem with updates is known and it's not just the UK. As I noted, BlackBerry missed out on 2 months since they started with the Android updates, that's it. They'll get it squared away eventually, and the updates will flow properly again. I'm not gonna tell you what to do in terms of waiting/not waiting, but what the rep told you, was almost certainly BS.
    chi-town311 and xandros9 like this.
    07-13-17 02:14 PM
    You're free to wait but it sounds like he fed you a line of BS. The problem with updates is known and it's not just the UK. As I noted, BlackBerry missed out on 2 months since they started with the Android updates, that's it. They'll get it squared away eventually, and the updates will flow properly again. I'm not gonna tell you what to do in terms of waiting/not waiting, but what the rep told you, was almost certainly BS.
    Cheers Bla1ze, I have checked my VF account online and there is now a BlackBerry services option showing assigned but I agree it must be BS, I had the same sim in my DTEK50 and got updates then... so unless it didn't register properly when I changed to the 60 I dont see the difference.
    07-13-17 03:20 PM
    seem to remember that needing 'BB services enabled' was only for those using the old OS 7 devices. There is no way it is needed on new Android phones (or even the old OS 10) as far as I can remember. You were fed a large dose of BS... that's a FACT...
    This was made very clear on the old Blackberry official forums, where many who were moving from OS 7 to OS 10/Android were confused, but BB were very insistant that BB Services were NOT needed on either OS 10 or Android phones...
    07-13-17 04:14 PM