Hi,

I have decided to bail on BB, really gutted as I have had BB going way back, as well of every recent BB10 device through to the DTEK60... but I think their lack of consumer focus burnt me slightly with the Passport / BB10 and now its just history repeating with the DTEK60.

I messaged the Android sister forum to Crackberry and asked about Pixel updates and received this reply from several people "3 years of security and OS updates guaranteed through to 2018"... matched against no OS update as of yet and no security updates in two months, so I have ordered a Pixel and sold my DTEK60.

Just wanted to thank you all on the CBK forum, not been registered for that long but the quality of the earlier (true) BB devices meant I didnt really need to ask or query things until BB10 and beyond.
    07-13-17 08:35 AM
    Take care.
    07-13-17 08:55 AM
    Hi,

I have decided to bail on BB, really gutted as I have had BB going way back, as well of every recent BB10 device through to the DTEK60... but I think their lack of consumer focus burnt me slightly with the Passport / BB10 and now its just history repeating with the DTEK60.

I messaged the Android sister forum to Crackberry and asked about Pixel updates and received this reply from several people "3 years of security and OS updates guaranteed through to 2018"... matched against no OS update as of yet and no security updates in two months, so I have ordered a Pixel and sold my DTEK60.

Just wanted to thank you all on the CBK forum, not been registered for that long but the quality of the earlier (true) BB devices meant I didnt really need to ask or query things until BB10 and beyond.
    Congratulations, you've made a great decision for yourself.
    07-13-17 09:05 AM
    Congratulations, you've made a great decision for yourself.
    Have you owned a Pixel chuck? Like very device there are positives and negative reviews out there and of course most people on the Pixel forum say its great, but you pretty much seem to say how it is with devices and wondered what you thought?

Its the updates that are pushing me to the Pixel not the way it looks, which is like a more generic IPhone!
    07-13-17 09:08 AM
    Great choice, if it wasn't for the stock issues I'd be typing this on a Pixel XL. There's been rumors and renders of the Pixel 2 floating around.
    07-13-17 09:13 AM
    Great choice, if it wasn't for the stock issues I'd be typing this on a Pixel XL. There's been rumors and renders of the Pixel 2 floating around.
    Yeah I have seen some alleged leak photos etc, looks really good but CPW in the UK have £100 off the current XL phone.
    07-13-17 09:16 AM
    Have you owned a Pixel chuck? Like very device there are positives and negative reviews out there and of course most people on the Pixel forum say its great, but you pretty much seem to say how it is with devices and wondered what you thought?

Its the updates that are pushing me to the Pixel not the way it looks, which is like a more generic IPhone!
    I've followed the device since prerelease but its stock android. For stock androids, I preferred LG G series devices. I've owned BB going all the way back to 7500 series around 2004. I've owned iPhone since 2009. I've owned Android since 2009-2010.

The last thing I buy phones for is OS updates. I'm a believer, especially with OS updates, that initial OS for hardware, PC or mobile, is better optimized. When I want a new OS, I buy new device. I don't mind OS updates in the same family like 7.0 to 7.1 but not level ups from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7.

I bought the PRIV and DTEK phones to be able to dump BB10. The ART was killing me along with dual carry LG for certain apps. BBAndroid gave me an experience closer to what I expected from the BB10 ecosystem with ported android. The PRIV was atrocious hardware first 60 days and I stayed away. They built on Lollipop with promise of Marshmallow and it seemed to improve performance. I feel that most improvement were Lollipop updates before Marshmallow regarding battery and heating.

DTEK were built on Marshmallow and I don't expect improvement to be so important as go through bug issues that happen with OS level upgrade to Nougat. I'll just wait for the next BBAndroid device. Maybe I'll get KEYone or wait until "70" but I'll let them cure for 6-12 months after release.

This goes back to my original statement. If updates are your thing, you've made a great choice. Google makes the device, to set a bar for all their OEM licensees to compare to. They have a shortage issue that sometimes resembles KEYone rollout albeit, larger scale.

Nobody can ever compete with Google on Android updates, it's their OS and nobody else can finalize testing of their OS version until Google is officially done. I was surprised but didn't expect BBAndroid to be so quick with updates because BBAndroid is far more complex beast than anyone else's version of Android.

If you're looking for Android device as single device, look past updates in my opinion, and focus on UI and Screen plus battery life. While Google sets their device as measuring bar, some OEMs surpass in some areas that maybe of more importance to you. The updates don't matter if you hate using the device or it's always plugged into the wall.
    vishesh batra likes this.
    07-13-17 09:47 AM
    The updates don't matter if you hate using the device or it's always plugged into the wall.
    I agree with the OS I dont really care about that, its more the security updates and the lack of info coming out from BB, which mirrors the BB10 scenario.

I looked at the LG G6 it looks a head of some flagships but still negatives out there, but its personal opinion I guess.

I tried @bbhelp again today and they still say that the June and July updates have gone out on time for the DTEK60 for unlocked phones and that any delay will be down to the carrier... well mine is unlocked and I havent had anyway update, even checked with my carrier just in case.
    07-13-17 10:06 AM
    Hi,

I'm sure many will follow, not that BlackBerry has that many left. I'm holding out for pixel 2, then I'm out! I know a few people that have the pixel and they love it. I've played with one and it's sweet. Enjoy!
    07-13-17 01:07 PM
    I'm sure many will follow, not that BlackBerry has that many left. I'm holding out for pixel 2, then I'm out! I know a few people that have the pixel and they love it. I've played with one and it's sweet. Enjoy!
    That's another reason to wait... The new version of their phone is supposedly due soon. Price of last years hardware will drop.

Take your pick, last year with wrinkles ironed out, this year but new OS with initial bugs.

Last year, the first device with Nougat wasn't even Google. Last year, first device was LG V20. This year "O" may rollout with different OEM again when the Google themselves later, again...
    07-13-17 02:09 PM