I was just reading this article over at AndroidCentral -> https://www.androidcentral.com/its-b...comes-security

It was posted 30 minutes ago and I have to admit that I am surprised. A direct quote from the article is below.

"You don't have to worry about it if you have an iPhone or a Pixel (or any Nexus that's still supported) or an Android-powered BlackBerry because it was patched before it was disclosed to the public. But the Pixel, late-model Nexuses and Android BlackBerrys sold in minuscule numbers compared to all the other Android phones (I'm being very generous here). That means millions and millions and millions of other Android-powered phones are still vulnerable. Including the Galaxy S8, even though every Android partner has had access to the patch as long as Google and BlackBerry and Apple have." (the bold was my emphasis)

Ironically one of the options I was looking at when I bought my DTEK60 at the end of April 2017 was the Galaxy S8+. Instead of paying CA$1,115 (US$897) for the unlocked Galaxy S8+ I went with the DTEK60 from ShopBlackBerry which was on sale for CA$612 (US$492) at the time. Asides from some drama with the security patches not being timely twice (I am thinking of reading the security patch thread discussions less) I am 100% satisfied. The DTEK60 does what I expect of it without issue and for the price I paid I am very happy. If, however, I paid the same price as a Pixel XL 128 GB (CA$1,179 / USD$948) or S8+, which were the other two smartphones on my short list, then I would not be as happy or satisfied as I am.

As an asides I think that most people do not care about the security of their personal smartphone. I was talking with a friend who works in finance and their personal Galaxy S8+ is always behind my DTEK60 in terms of the Android security patch level. They simply do not care and it is not an issue for them. For me it is an issue because my DTEK60 is now tied, and in some instances has replaced my laptop, as my primary computing device.
    07-29-17 05:48 PM
    As far as I can tell from reading this month's security bulletin it's the July 5 security patch level that incorporates the Broadcom fix; while the S8 is at best on the July 1 patch level, my DTEK60 on the latest software (AAM326) is only at the June 5 patch level, which isn't patched either. Some Privs (AAM940), KEYones (AAM481/AAM625), and DTEK50s (AAM770) have the fix in. The DTEK60 is the only one that isn't patched to some degree against this, funny enough.
    07-29-17 06:38 PM
    As far as I can tell from reading this month's security bulletin it's the July 5 security patch level that incorporates the Broadcom fix; while the S8 is at best on the July 1 patch level, my DTEK60 on the latest software (AAM326) is only at the June 5 patch level, which isn't patched either. Some Privs (AAM940), KEYones (AAM481/AAM625), and DTEK50s (AAM770) have the fix in. The DTEK60 is the only one that isn't patched to some degree against this, funny enough.
    Fascinating.
    07-29-17 07:03 PM
    Fascinating.
    There is another difference to note between the DTEK60 and the S8: Nougat.
    07-29-17 11:09 PM
    Yep.

Most Samsungs (Note 4, Note 5, S6 range, S7 range and S8 range) are on the 1st July patch.

The article does not disclose the fact that other than the KEYOne, many BBs are on older patches, in fact even some Keyones.

In actual fact, isn't the July 5th patch the one that is buggy? I know those who have it have Push Notification issues.
    07-30-17 03:52 AM
    Most Samsungs (Note 4, Note 5, S6 range, S7 range and S8 range) are on the 1st July patch.
    My S8+ is on the June 1 patch, but the OTA for my carrier (probably July 1) is apparently scheduled for this Monday.

In actual fact, isn't the July 5th patch the one that is buggy? I know those who have it have Push Notification issues.
    I think that's just the KEYone.
    07-30-17 09:43 AM