In less than two years my son has had three different BlackBerry devices. He actually started with a Z10, and used it for several years before getting the 1st of the recent 3. He liked his Z30 quite well but accidentally broke the display. When we saw the cost of the display was 2/3 the price of a new one he decided to try the DTEK 50. Less than 6 weeks after getting it, it fell a whopping 11" (I measured) onto a wood floor and the display broke. The Z30 was in a hybrid case with the soft silicone case that includes a hard plastic frame that covers it. I use the same one for my Q10, which has survived several dozen drops over the last few years and is still my daily driver. His fell less than a foot & broke. BlackBerry refused to give any warranty repair or to even share part of the cost. That really pissed me off since they knew that the 3 of us had been using Blackberries for a long time. So we got him a DTEK 60, which is acting up badly. We often call or text him but he doesn't get them. Not even just a missed call notice. It's less than six months old. When he called BlackBerry to ask about warranty repair he was told that it's not BlackBerry's problem since TCL actually made it. The rep wouldn't tell him any way to ask TCL for help either. So much for giving a crap about the users!

Does anyone know of contact info for trying to see if we can get repairs? I'm halfway convinced that even if we can contact TCL they'll say it's the software and tell us to complain about it with BlackBerry! I only thought of one possible fix, which would be the traditional factory reset. But I didn't know what to do afterwards since there's zero option besides google to back up before the reset, (he just created a minimum account with false information since he doesn't have interest in buying from google play so he isn't wild about using the minimal backup he heard that google would give. I remember that BB10 has a way to backup everything to the micro SD card. Do the androids offer it? The other thing is since there's no link, how could he get & install a fresh copy of the OS in case his is corrupt?
    Thanks.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    12-05-17 02:55 AM
    Sounds like pretty shoddy customer service. If the company is treating you this way, why don’t you take your money elsewhere?
    12-05-17 07:08 AM
    12-05-17 07:19 AM
    In less than two years my son has had three different BlackBerry devices. He actually started with a Z10, and used it for several years before getting the 1st of the recent 3. He liked his Z30 quite well but accidentally broke the display. When we saw the cost of the display was 2/3 the price of a new one he decided to try the DTEK 50. Less than 6 weeks after getting it, it fell a whopping 11" (I measured) onto a wood floor and the display broke. The Z30 was in a hybrid case with the soft silicone case that includes a hard plastic frame that covers it. I use the same one for my Q10, which has survived several dozen drops over the last few years and is still my daily driver. His fell less than a foot & broke. BlackBerry refused to give any warranty repair or to even share part of the cost. That really pissed me off since they knew that the 3 of us had been using Blackberries for a long time. So we got him a DTEK 60, which is acting up badly. We often call or text him but he doesn't get them. Not even just a missed call notice. It's less than six months old. When he called BlackBerry to ask about warranty repair he was told that it's not BlackBerry's problem since TCL actually made it. The rep wouldn't tell him any way to ask TCL for help either. So much for giving a crap about the users!

Does anyone know of contact info for trying to see if we can get repairs? I'm halfway convinced that even if we can contact TCL they'll say it's the software and tell us to complain about it with BlackBerry! I only thought of one possible fix, which would be the traditional factory reset. But I didn't know what to do afterwards since there's zero option besides google to back up before the reset, (he just created a minimum account with false information since he doesn't have interest in buying from google play so he isn't wild about using the minimal backup he heard that google would give. I remember that BB10 has a way to backup everything to the micro SD card. Do the androids offer it? The other thing is since there's no link, how could he get & install a fresh copy of the OS in case his is corrupt?
    Thanks.

Hey Scuba. Not really sure here. I don't backup much because I let Google back it up for me in the cloud. Maybe you could move the files over to a microSD card. The fight is getting harder and harder for you.

Maybe don't keep sensitive data on your devices.

To me, I gave up worrying so much because my information that I store carefully is duplicated in places beyond my control.

HIPPA locations get hacked the old fashioned way, corrupt employees. Data locations such as Equifax. We're on the grid electronically just by having any Internet, accounts with anyone for services, utilities, credit or money.....
    12-05-17 07:25 AM
    Chuck, I see some of your point but at the moment on my part I am just trying to find out what options exist for people who are less likely to have their information spread out to such an extent, so I figure that the fewer ways you allow access the less it becomes spread to the point of surrender. Mostly I'm griping in this particular situation because of the way that BlackBerry is combining the ads promising security with the actuality of being possibly better protected from something less of a concern (things attacking the OS itself) vs the hypocrisy of having no better security than anyone who isn't paying more money for devices with less capabilities or features compared to other android phones. When they started avoiding any responsibility to us when the devices either turned out to be ridiculously fragile (the dtek50) but especially in the case of the Priv & his DTEK60 it seems that they don't care if the software is at fault, we just got the fun of spending much cash for nothing. Both wife & kid blame me for suggesting that they give BlackBerry another chance at their expense. I just want to try to salvage the devices if possible so that we don't shell out over $1500 to buy them both new phones right now since the budget's tight this time of year.

12-05-17 09:43 AM
    Sounds like pretty shoddy customer service. If the company is treating you this way, why don’t you take your money elsewhere?
    This. With the TCL deal the DTEKs are thrown under the bus.
    12-05-17 09:46 AM
    No choice about it anyway. Unless the OP is a buyer of Enterprise software, he couldn't spend more money with BlackBerry if he wanted to!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-05-17 09:50 AM
    This. With the TCL deal the DTEKs are thrown under the bus.
    My guess is that, as part of the agreement with TCL, BlackBerry transferred the warranty reserve money that it has to keep by law to TCL to service any phones still under warranty. It would have probably been illegal to keep that money.

If it's covered under warranty, or if the OP is willing to pay for an out of warranty repair, contact TCL. They are now the responsible party.

12-05-17 09:53 AM
    Well, I'm actually starting to think that way myself! I'm partly venting while warning others that it seems like no one is willing to stand behind the devices any more.

Up until this happened to 3 phones in a row I've been a satisfied customer that liked the combination of privacy & security that used to be the hallmark of BlackBerry. I also still prefer using the BB10 OS for myself, so it just seemed easier to keep the other devices in the family in a familiar form. But actually if I can't fix either of these, both of them plan to abandon the idea entirely since it seems like BlackBerry has abandoned them...

I just want to try and get a little bit more useful life for both of their phones to avoid the expense of two new phones right now.

I actually was still hoping that someone would have a solution to reloading the OS like I would on a real BlackBerry.

12-05-17 09:57 AM

Thanks.

I have had the BlackBerry Torch2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, and the PRIV. All unique and excellent devices. I always loved BlackBerry, and was its biggest fan. My recent experience with the Alcatel-built DTEK60, however, has been a disaster.

After ten months, the battery no longer held a charge, and the device shut down at 25% charge.

Canadian customer service is horrendous, even under warranty. I sent my DTEK60 to the Alcatel Repair Centre first in October 2017. They did nothing for the three weeks they had the device, and upon return, the device still shut down after two hours use.

I sent my DTEK60 a second time in November to the Repair Centre (SBE Canada). No word after another three weeks of waiting. A quick on-line search reveals that the Canadian Better Business Bureau has given the Canadian Alcatel Repair Centre (SBE Canada) an "F" or "Fail" due to their poor technical support.

I don't know if I'll ever see my DTEK60 again.
    12-05-17 11:14 AM
    Chuck, I see some of your point but at the moment on my part I am just trying to find out what options exist for people who are less likely to have their information spread out to such an extent, so I figure that the fewer ways you allow access the less it becomes spread to the point of surrender. Mostly I'm griping in this particular situation because of the way that BlackBerry is combining the ads promising security with the actuality of being possibly better protected from something less of a concern (things attacking the OS itself) vs the hypocrisy of having no better security than anyone who isn't paying more money for devices with less capabilities or features compared to other android phones. When they started avoiding any responsibility to us when the devices either turned out to be ridiculously fragile (the dtek50) but especially in the case of the Priv & his DTEK60 it seems that they don't care if the software is at fault, we just got the fun of spending much cash for nothing. Both wife & kid blame me for suggesting that they give BlackBerry another chance at their expense. I just want to try to salvage the devices if possible so that we don't shell out over $1500 to buy them both new phones right now since the budget's tight this time of year.

I guess my point was to buy cheap replacements. My DTEKs both have cracked screens and not covered by any warranty. Both phones had their falls broken with my foot and landed on tile floor or concrete floor less than foot (12"). I'm using $40 Alcatel Something and getting KEYone from AT&T just after Christmas.

DTEKs aren't salvageable in my opinion. No OEM backs up dropped hardware. My daughter just paid $140 few months ago to replace iPhone 6 screen that shattered inside her Otterbox. Same tile floor but from 18 inches or so...
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 12-06-17 at 07:08 AM.
    12-05-17 12:10 PM
    Well, no manufacturer covers physical damage, and ALL the latest device designs are built such that the angle of incidence of impact at which such catastrophic damage occurs is very wide.

Specifically, it's not that hard to make a device that is not damaged by drops onto a flat, hard surface EXCEPT within a very, very narrow angle of contact. You merely need an absorptive (plastic, but non-brittle) surround on the front and back surfaces that protrudes by a millimeter or so, mounted on a metal frame that is sufficiently strong so it does not flex enough to break the substrate during such an impact, and a camera that is recessed from said level. Now you will only break the screen or camera if you're unlucky for it to impact on a protruding thing (e.g. a rock), and the strength of the frame can be made sufficient to handle a drop from chest height. This would mean 95+% of such drops would do no damage.

But people want "edge-to-edge", bezel-less, flat-glass fronts and very thin devices (never mind the idiots who want and will buy glass BACKED devices!), so the camera won't fit unless it sticks out. More to the point they won't BUY devices that are built like the above and insist on designs that CANNOT survive said falls. This means that the "modern design" demanded by customers is incompatible with the device surviving a fall. Thus anyone with a brain has to encase such a device (which gives it that survivability) which in turn means that the so-called "modern design" is invisible unless you're perfectly ok with the unit being destroyed the first time it falls on any hard surface!

Then, of course, having had it happen, instead of looking in a mirror where you and the rest of consumers would find the reason it happened, you think the manufacturer is somehow responsible.

Oook.
    baldy3577 likes this.
    12-05-17 12:24 PM
    detek is rebrand goo-berry OS. Hardware is not BB design. you might want contact TCL/BBM instead. look like your son got very slippy hands. a grippy case might be the must for him (unless you want keep going upgrade his phone). such as this one for z10 https://www.amazon.com/32ndShock-def...UvbUpU13086946
    forget slim shinny (detek 60 is not really that good looking IMHO), but it will lasting a bit longer. may be you should make him pay for the repair? ( I gave my nicec and nephew K1 and dtek 60 for the duration of their university years. they can upgrade anything to their liking after they start earn living or get an intern job... so far, both take great care for the handset - K1 may 20 silver version still got screen attached... both got case and screen protect... plus lether pocket - Priv leather case for K1...thx for the recommendation of CBers). you might want to give your son a K1 - better mechanical design and it is real BB - the last BB design (beside speaker and ear buds, appear to be no complain - if you have extra cash, get a black version for him... from what I heard, the university kids appear to be like the look... got many compliment from classmates).
    12-05-17 06:59 PM
    And, buy insurance if you're concerned about protection for physical damage!

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-05-17 at 08:25 PM.
    12-05-17 07:07 PM
    There are multiple option for backup besides the cloud. you can use qan SD card as someone already mentioned or you can plug your device into a PC and drag everything over (pictures, videos, files etc) into a file on PC. For contacts, Export them from the contacts App and make sure that file is also dragged onto your PC. Then just wipe the phone. All the apps will automatically restore when you log in with google ID again, then just plug phone is and drag file back from PC to where you want them on device and import contact in the contacts App using the file you had saved as Export. sounds long but only take a few minutes.
    12-05-17 07:21 PM
    It's entirely possible to use adb to backup everything except the system files (operating system and OS apps); it's a bit complicated to explain, but it does work. Whether that really does all that much for you, however, is an open question -- if most of your data is on a server-controlled thing (e.g. Exchange for email, contacts and calendars, etc) then it's not all THAT big of a deal to reload -- other than the time it takes to reinstall all the apps (which does take quite a while on a newly set-up device.)
    12-05-17 09:20 PM
    Well, no manufacturer covers physical damage, and ALL the latest device designs are built such that the angle of incidence of impact at which such catastrophic damage occurs is very wide.

Specifically, it's not that hard to make a device that is not damaged by drops onto a flat, hard surface EXCEPT within a very, very narrow angle of contact. You merely need an absorptive (plastic, but non-brittle) surround on the front and back surfaces that protrudes by a millimeter or so, mounted on a metal frame that is sufficiently strong so it does not flex enough to break the substrate during such an impact, and a camera that is recessed from said level. Now you will only break the screen or camera if you're unlucky for it to impact on a protruding thing (e.g. a rock), and the strength of the frame can be made sufficient to handle a drop from chest height. This would mean 95+% of such drops would do no damage.

But people want "edge-to-edge", bezel-less, flat-glass fronts and very thin devices (never mind the idiots who want and will buy glass BACKED devices!), so the camera won't fit unless it sticks out. More to the point they won't BUY devices that are built like the above and insist on designs that CANNOT survive said falls. This means that the "modern design" demanded by customers is incompatible with the device surviving a fall. Thus anyone with a brain has to encase such a device (which gives it that survivability) which in turn means that the so-called "modern design" is invisible unless you're perfectly ok with the unit being destroyed the first time it falls on any hard surface!

Then, of course, having had it happen, instead of looking in a mirror where you and the rest of consumers would find the reason it happened, you think the manufacturer is somehow responsible.

Oook.
    I guess you missed the part where I specifically say that all the phones DID have exactly that kind of protection! The display is 1-2mm away from a table when face down, and every single bit of the body has either just the silicone case with the entire back, half of the sides and both ends all covered by the hard shell OVER the silicone. And as I also said, my Q10 has the exact same case. Yet it was built strongly enough to survive roughly 25 or more drops from up to waist high (just over a meter) yet despite the scratches in the black plastic I'm using the same phone as I bought 3 years ago. So yes, I think that if they were allowing the devices to carry the BlackBerry name, most users would expect that they'll make an effort to ensure a certain basic level of quality in both the device AND the support! I haven't a clue who built the Priv my wife's struggling with, and it shouldn't matter when a software update FROM BlackBerry almost bricks the device! Sounds like software not hardware since she'd been using it for months with no issues. Then a monthly update hits and BAM!, no more WiFi or Bluetooth! Since I watched the update and the cell never moved an inch on the table I feel confident that she didn't drop it.

So yes, (while it pains me to say it) I agree with the other posts saying that the quality is greatly reduced and support is a joke. Often I knew more than the script reading, and totally clueless person in either The Philippines or India that we always reach when we call "support" from the US.

Just because I prefer the BB10 doesn't mean that I know that the market choose differently. But I really wish that the android models were at least close to the older BlackBerry phones in the area of build quality.

12-06-17 05:12 AM
    I guess you missed the part where I specifically say that all the phones DID have exactly that kind of protection! The display is 1-2mm away from a table when face down, and every single bit of the body has either just the silicone case with the entire back, half of the sides and both ends all covered by the hard shell OVER the silicone. And as I also said, my Q10 has the exact same case. Yet it was built strongly enough to survive roughly 25 or more drops from up to waist high (just over a meter) yet despite the scratches in the black plastic I'm using the same phone as I bought 3 years ago. So yes, I think that if they were allowing the devices to carry the BlackBerry name, most users would expect that they'll make an effort to ensure a certain basic level of quality in both the device AND the support! I haven't a clue who built the Priv my wife's struggling with, and it shouldn't matter when a software update FROM BlackBerry almost bricks the device! Sounds like software not hardware since she'd been using it for months with no issues. Then a monthly update hits and BAM!, no more WiFi or Bluetooth! Since I watched the update and the cell never moved an inch on the table I feel confident that she didn't drop it.

So yes, (while it pains me to say it) I agree with the other posts saying that the quality is greatly reduced and support is a joke. Often I knew more than the script reading, and totally clueless person in either The Philippines or India that we always reach when we call "support" from the US.

Just because I prefer the BB10 doesn't mean that I know that the market choose differently. But I really wish that the android models were at least close to the older BlackBerry phones in the area of build quality.

Physical hardware quality seemed to bottom out with DTEK. The PRIV was better than DTEK and the KEYone and Motion seem better than DTEK. The only problem is price and like you mentioned before, it's holiday season......
    12-06-17 07:13 AM
    the dtek60 is TCL idol with minor modification to load up goo-berry os... i guess you find out how importance of the hardware design (the difference between NA vs chinese designers). just curious, why you buy two dtek? 50 and 60? do you specifically like the look? or just the time you don't have any other choice but the BB brand - only dtek on market.
    12-06-17 07:29 AM

Q10 has a much small glass surface area, that was protected by bezels on all four sides. You can't really say it's screen was a better build quality, just that the design was better at protecting it's small screen.

It's not an Android "thing" but a difference in styles. Samsung knows that some need tougher, that's why in addition to their edge and standard Galaxy devices they have an Active line.... Bumpers, stronger frame, shatter resistant glass (film on Gorilla Glass 5).
    12-06-17 08:07 AM
    the dtek60 is TCL idol with minor modification to load up goo-berry os... i guess you find out how importance of the hardware design (the difference between NA vs chinese designers). just curious, why you buy two dtek? 50 and 60? do you specifically like the look? or just the time you don't have any other choice but the BB brand - only dtek on market.
    I bought 50 and 60 because I like BBAndroid. I buy other devices too, but I prefer the BBAndroid software. The KEYone seems to have superior build quality and PKB. Waiting to see if Motion coming to USA carriers.
    12-06-17 08:09 AM
    Look into this company that covers phones, another crackberry member put this up a while back.

https://www.worthavegroup.com/
    12-06-17 08:37 AM
    I had a nokia lumia I accidentally sent flying across the room into a wall (the phone was inside a fold of blanket when I was setting the bed). Oops. But hey, not a single scratch. I had a few qwerty phones I deliberately dropped on hard surfaces in front of willing witnesses to demonstrate the superior toughness of those phones, which worked just fine afterwards, not a scratch.

I gave my brother-in-law a pristine note3; he dropped it and smashed the screen. And the bezel. He got a note5, also broke the screen. COME ON! Geesh!

Take home message: phones today are fragile, and deliberately so. Companies don't want you using 7 year old devices, they want you to update every 1-2 years!
    Last edited by Nguyen1; 12-06-17 at 08:19 PM.
    12-06-17 07:58 PM
    The DTEK60 is actually a lot closer to the TCL950 (flagship in China) than the Idol 4s.

Either way, buy an Incipio dual pro case, get a screen protector, and don't expect today's phones to be durable like the small screen, massive bezel, plastic devices of yesteryear. Or get one of those stick on finger rings that @crackberrykevin rocks on his devices to minimize drops for the butter fingered.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-07-17 02:55 AM
    We bought the 1st DTEK because he didn't care about having a pkb with the Priv. Bought the DTEK 60 to replace the barely used 50 when BlackBerry refused to give even partial replacement cost & at that point he still Thought BlackBerry would provide better security & privacy than the other brands of android phones. He hadn't yet discovered that BlackBerry was going to screw him on warranty by the way he was told that they didn't care if we purchased from shop BlackBerry, any issues are the fault of the manufacturer!

12-07-17 08:45 AM
29 12