I'm asking about a secure browser and you mention fart apps. Why is it always about fart apps and games when people diss the Android app selection? It's disingenuous. It ignores the hundreds of critical business apps and essential collaboration tools that many people need.

Let's just agree to refrain from the silly fart app thing.
    Uh, why are you getting so defensive? I answered your question, I only use it for calls and texts. I merely expanded on it. I'm sorry if my use isn't the same as yours. Maybe you should realize that different people may have different opinions and priorities. Crazy thought I know...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-28-16 04:16 PM
    Uh, why are you getting so defensive? I answered your question, I only use it for calls and texts. I merely expanded on it. I'm sorry if my use isn't the same as yours. Maybe you should realize that different people may have different opinions and priorities. Crazy thought I know...

Sure. That's absolutely fine. Use what works for you - that's always been my motto.

The tired old "fart apps" refrain is a bit insulting to those who DO need an active app ecosystem though.
    11-28-16 04:26 PM
    I had both and you can get the S7 for $549 now so I'd go S7.

BlackBerry DTEK60 or Samsung S7?-screen-shot-2016-11-29-7.26.09-am.png
    Last edited by SugarMouth; 11-29-16 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Linked wrong phone.
    11-28-16 05:29 PM
    That's an S6... not comparable at all.
    11-28-16 05:43 PM
    Sure. That's absolutely fine. Use what works for you - that's always been my motto.

The tired old "fart apps" refrain is a bit insulting to those who DO need an active app ecosystem though.
    When did I ever speak for anyone else other than myself? I said I haven't downloaded a single app to *MY* Android device, you asked if I downloaded a certain app, I answered your question and then expanded on it. I don't get where the problem is...

Next time you ask me, I'll just say "No." But then you'll probably have an issue with how short my answer is and how that's an insult to everyone in the world who might want a longer answer, blah blah blah blah blah...

11-28-16 07:55 PM
    When did I ever speak for anyone else other than myself? I said I haven't downloaded a single app to *MY* Android device, you asked if I downloaded a certain app, I answered your question and then expanded on it. I don't get where the problem is...

Next time you ask me, I'll just say "No." But then you'll probably have an issue with how short my answer is and how that's an insult to everyone in the world who might want a longer answer, blah blah blah blah blah...

When you say you don't need apps because you don't use WhatsApp, fart apps or games, it seems to be a bit of an odd grouping if you didn't mean to imply something.

You're saying you don't see how this can be interpreted as a bit of a dig? Really?

I give up. Peace.
    11-28-16 08:01 PM
    When you say you don't need apps because you don't use WhatsApp, fart apps or games, it seems to be a bit of an odd grouping if you didn't mean to imply something.

You're saying you don't see how this can be interpreted as a bit of a dig? Really?

I give up. Peace.
    I had an example from every category. 3rd party communications: whatsapp, could also add viber, kik, and others to that. Novelty apps, like sound boards, such as fart noise apps, and games. Still, I don't see a problem...

So everything is ok, but the mention of "fart app" got you, what do they call it? "Triggered?"

11-28-16 08:07 PM
    I had an example from every category. 3rd party communications: whatsapp, could also add viber, kik, and others to that. Novelty apps, like sound boards, such as fart noise apps, and games. Still, I don't see a problem...

Lame
    11-28-16 08:08 PM
    Lame
    We really do live in an age where a single word can "offend" people. Had I ONLY said fart apps, then yes, that would imply that the only apps available to Android and iOS not available to BB10 are useless apps, but I named an example from every category of apps. I don't get how in the heck that can be interpreted as anything but...

11-28-16 08:11 PM
    Case in point, I actually very often defend Whatsapp despite the fact that I don't personally need it. I don't use it because I don't do much communication to individuals outside my country, and where I live pretty much every phone plan, even the cheapest ones, have unlimited texts and calls. So I have no need for it. But my mother regularly communicates with friends and family in Asia and my wife regularly communicates with friends and family in South America. So for them they definitely need Whatsapp. Everytime someone says "who needs whatsapp, BBM is better!" or "I don't know anyone who uses whatsapp, so it's not necessary." I actually usually step up to explain that WA is definitely useful for many people, even though it isn't to me. So how can you try to accuse me of putting down the app ecosystem of other platforms if I actually acknowledge their importance to others? It just isn't *FOR ME*

Holy geebus kryst. SMH

Edited in case what I said would "offend" anyone else...

11-28-16 08:16 PM
    That's an S6... not comparable at all.
    You are right, I linked the wrong phone. Here is my purchase for the S7.
    BlackBerry DTEK60 or Samsung S7?-screen-shot-2016-11-29-7.26.09-am.png
    11-29-16 08:27 AM
    I do like Android, but I still think that for Blackberry phones, Blackberry OS was the best! If Blackberry makes a phone with their OS - I will buy it!
    Agreed I miss Blackberry and BB10....just so much better and so unfortunate that are choice now is IOS or Android
    11-29-16 09:27 AM
    Well, there's always sailfish, especially if you live in Russia or china...

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    11-29-16 11:40 AM
    Agreed I miss Blackberry and BB10....just so much better and so unfortunate that are choice now is IOS or Android
    It doesn't have to be. If bb10 (or windows for that matter) works for you, there's no need for your choice to be iOS or Android unless that's the choice you want to make.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 03:04 AM
    It doesn't have to be. If bb10 (or windows for that matter) works for you, there's no need for your choice to be iOS or Android unless that's the choice you want to make.

Posted via CB10
    For now that's true, thus why I'm still using my Classic. But eventually with more and more things relying on mobile capabilities, there will be a time where continuing to use BB10 would actually prevent us from doing day-to-day things...

bb624 likes this.
    11-30-16 09:34 AM
    Have been rocking my DTEK60 for a week now and enjoying it. Still sorting it out, though, so can't give verdict yet.

Coming from a Note 7 (RIP), I'd still pick DTEK60 over the S7. If for no other reason than it is newer, and I wanted a little more BlackBerry flavor than just downloading the apps on the S7 could give me.

This is my third Android device, and Android in general seems janky compared to iOS (and BB10). Not as smooth.

Besides water resistance, more brilliant screen and better rear camera performance, the S7 will also give you Samsung Pay, which really works everywhere.

Also, since the Sammy has navigation buttons on the lower bezel instead of the screen, I wonder if its usable screen space is noticeably less than on the DTEK60... but a con is that you're more prone to press those buttons by accident on the Sammy.

Appreciate the minimal bloat on DTEK60 versus the bloaty S7. But I had a soft spot for Sammy's calendar.

Am concerned about my DTEK60, though, as I've experienced lag. Has happened when 12 or more apps were open. And it was momentum-crushing, molasses-slow lag, not simply a slowdown. Will continue to monitor. Anyone else experience this?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 04:20 AM
    The camera lens in the phone is small because it's a fixed distance lens, not a zoom. Go pick a point and shoot that isn't in the "superzoom" class, and the lenses are much much smaller. Those superzoom are just that, cameras that do a lot of zoom, but those optics are pretty rubish. We are talking about a variable apertura of F3.4-6.5. I can assure you that camera tou just posted takes way worse pictures in low light than most high end phones. It's only good at 1 thing, zoom...

The S7 can be worth it over the Dtek60, can be not... For you, Dtek is the ONLY way to go because you can't take the Blackberry googles off.

The S7 IS worth the premium if you value things like
    -Processor power (the Exynos 8890 is way superior to the SD820 if you can get one)
    -best camera
    -best screen
    -brand equity
    -You know Samsung will be around for some time, he don't have much warranty for Blackberry.

Dtek60 in the other hand is cheaper with almost same specs, and is backed by blackberry security that has the greatest record.

So it's not a "no brainer", it's a "brainer", It's just depends on each users prioritys, both phones are a great deal for the right person
    I have a superzoom camera and I would say that you shouldn't dismiss them so quickly. Consider that DSLR are often much bigger and heavier especially if outfitted with a big lense. They're also much more expensive (prohibitively so in some cases). Yes superzooms have smaller sensors and often inferior quality images than DSLR's but thent hey're smaller, lighter, cheaper and have a great reach (with their zoom).

That makes them an ideal camera for birders and nature watchers of any kind. Yes that's a bit niche, but they do have a place in the market and work great under the right circumstances.

Try taking pics like this with your phone:
    BlackBerry DTEK60 or Samsung S7?-32927121.jpg
    BlackBerry DTEK60 or Samsung S7?-28382871.jpg
    12-01-16 11:31 AM
    You will get the DTEK app, the productivity tab for peek, the swipe up gestures from anywhere, the task switcher screen similar to BB10, and the generally faster security updates.

The only downside is that you will get a great, but not spectacular camera on the DTEK60.

But you can buy a DTEK60 AND a proper camera for the price of the S7.
    Can you elaborate on the productivity tab for peek and swipe up gestures?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 11:56 PM
    Swipe up from the home button will give you three selective icons. Settings, Display and turn on Productivity tab will give you and adjustable tab that you swipe from the edge of the screen.
    12-02-16 04:11 AM
    I have a superzoom camera and I would say that you shouldn't dismiss them so quickly. Consider that DSLR are often much bigger and heavier especially if outfitted with a big lense. They're also much more expensive (prohibitively so in some cases). Yes superzooms have smaller sensors and often inferior quality images than DSLR's but thent hey're smaller, lighter, cheaper and have a great reach (with their zoom).

That makes them an ideal camera for birders and nature watchers of any kind. Yes that's a bit niche, but they do have a place in the market and work great under the right circumstances.

Try taking pics like this with your phone:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32927121.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	413253
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28382871.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	413254
    That's what they are made of, to take the pictures you took. Superzoom are nothing more than a "point and shoot" with a big zoom lens.
    So, it's this camera with a bigger zoom lens:

And there are very good point and shoot cameras, but not at 200$ range.

Now go try to take a picture in anything other than bright light. Go take a picture with a 250$ superzoom inside a church... a high end smartphone will take better picture because they have same size sensor with a much wider aperture lens.

Uninformed consumer looks at a superzoom and thinks is like a mini-DSLR because of the shape, wich is what they did a few posts back wich, trying to justify the inferior camera in the dtek60 comparing to other phones, by using the money they saved on a Dtek60 and buy a "DSLR look alike" camera.
    12-02-16 10:49 AM

Uninformed consumer looks at a superzoom and thinks is like a mini-DSLR because of the shape, wich is what they did a few posts back wich, trying to justify the inferior camera in the dtek60 comparing to other phones, by using the money they saved on a Dtek60 and buy a "DSLR look alike" camera.
    I guess I'm that "uninformed consumer" you are referring to.

I know very well the difference between camera types thank you.

The fact remains that the DTEK60 is a no-brainer unless you want to pay big bucks ($400 more now in Canada) for the better low-light camera in the S7 Edge (which is the comparable).

I have a replaceable lense camera, and I would much prefer to put the extra money towards that. Someone serious about photos would do nothing less.
    12-02-16 10:55 AM
    That's why I said early on that I have no interest in cameras on phones. For �200 on eBay one can buy an Canon 700 with hardly any activations. This is a first class camera that will take seriously impressive pictures. Why bother with a phone camera at all.
    12-02-16 11:29 AM
    I guess I'm that "uninformed consumer" you are referring to.

I know very well the difference between camera types thank you.

The fact remains that the DTEK60 is a no-brainer unless you want to pay big bucks ($400 more now in Canada) for the better low-light camera in the S7 Edge (which is the comparable).

I have a replaceable lense camera, and I would much prefer to put the extra money towards that. Someone serious about photos would do nothing less.
    That's all very cool but canada isn't the center of the world, and you (pretty much like me) are not the role model of the human being.

Your mileage may vary depending on where you live and what are your preferences. The dtek60 costs 650€ in Europe, you can get the regular S7 "non-edge" for less than 600€. So is it a no brainer still?

You have 1 replaceable lens camera, I have 3 of those + a dedicated video camera, because I do photography/video for a living. And you know what? When I'm out without working, I never have any of those with me, I just the use the cell phone for an instant picture, and I don't care much about smartphone cameras.
    With that, there are PLENTY of people that got rid of their point and shoot, and their smartphone camera is the only camera they own, and I'm sure you know plenty of those. Of course those, when buying a phone, the camera will be more important than for example you and me.

So there is no such thing as "no brainer" between 2 products that offer different strenghts. One is NOT superior to the other, in a way that you can simply recomend it for everyone. If your things is value for money, then you don't go dtek60, you go Oneplus 3 T, that is head and shoulders above the dtek60 in almost every specification.

Is the OP3 a "no brainer" over the Dtek60? No... For most people might be, but OP3 doesn't seem to offer the security that the Dtek60 has, therefore for the consumer that is looking after security, the Dtek60 could be a better value.
    12-02-16 03:40 PM
    That's all very cool but canada isn't the center of the world, and you (pretty much like me) are not the role model of the human being.

Your mileage may vary depending on where you live and what are your preferences. The dtek60 costs 650� in Europe, you can get the regular S7 "non-edge" for less than 600�. So is it a no brainer still?

You have 1 replaceable lens camera, I have 3 of those + a dedicated video camera, because I do photography/video for a living. And you know what? When I'm out without working, I never have any of those with me, I just the use the cell phone for an instant picture, and I don't care much about smartphone cameras.
    With that, there are PLENTY of people that got rid of their point and shoot, and their smartphone camera is the only camera they own, and I'm sure you know plenty of those. Of course those, when buying a phone, the camera will be more important than for example you and me.

So there is no such thing as "no brainer" between 2 products that offer different strenghts. One is NOT superior to the other, in a way that you can simply recomend it for everyone. If your things is value for money, then you don't go dtek60, you go Oneplus 3 T, that is head and shoulders above the dtek60 in almost every specification.

Is the OP3 a "no brainer" over the Dtek60? No... For most people might be, but OP3 doesn't seem to offer the security that the Dtek60 has, therefore for the consumer that is looking after security, the Dtek60 could be a better value.
    First, the S7Edge is the comparable to the DTEK60.

Second, I am only comparing those two.

Third, I said it was a no-brainer UNLESS you want to pay extra for a better low-light camera.
    12-02-16 03:44 PM
    Why bother with a phone camera at all.
    Do you carry your DSLR with you 24/7?
    nova_8 likes this.
    12-02-16 03:45 PM
208 ... 34567 ...