It was a formality at this point, but BlackBerry's share of the smartphone market has officially fallen to 0.0%. According to research firm Gartner, just under 208,000 devices running BlackBerry OS were sold in the fourth quarter of 2016, bringing the once-leading smartphone brand to a position of near-total irrelevance.

This chart from Statista shows just how deep the drop has been. Again, it's not a surprise - BlackBerry announced its exit from the hardware business last September after years of the writing being on the wall. Instead, it's now focused on software like its QNX operating system for connected cars.

This doesn't mean BlackBerry phones are gone for good though: Chinese manufacturer TCL is trying to revive the brand with new Android phones that keep the old-school aesthetic. One of those, the "Mercury," comes with a full QWERTY keyboard, and is expected to be showcased at this month's Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona.

blackberry sales chart
    02-22-17 07:31 AM
    How bout a source?

Also, what was the last phone they released with 10 on it? Passport?
    02-22-17 07:32 AM
    How bout a source?
    How about fight here

BlackBerry phones' fall from grace: CHART - Business Insider
    02-22-17 07:34 AM
    Lol...right here
    02-22-17 07:34 AM
    Ghanks.
    02-22-17 07:35 AM
    How bout a source?

Also, what was the last phone they released with 10 on it? Passport?
    Imo, CB has been such fan boys to BlackBerry for so long that I feel they do a disservice to actual BlackBerry owners, about the time in the graph that BlackBerry went to the bottom.
    02-22-17 07:55 AM
    Imo, CB has been such fan boys to BlackBerry for so long that I feel they do a disservice to actual BlackBerry owners, about the time in the graph that BlackBerry went to the bottom.
    I agree. I personally have seen BB10 lacking in many, many areas e.g BB10 not being able to block calls via the OS and yet people still say BB10 is the best OS.

What the fanboys SHOULD have been doing, is producing lists of things the OS needed and things that could be improved. That would be a far more product way for fanboys to truly help Blackberry. But of course, Blackberry would need to listen and act on the feedback. And to be fair to us users, Blackberry takes years to react to our asks.
    02-22-17 11:43 AM
    I agree. I personally have seen BB10 lacking in many, many areas e.g BB10 not being able to block calls via the OS and yet people still say BB10 is the best OS.

What the fanboys SHOULD have been doing, is producing lists of things the OS needed and things that could be improved. That would be a far more product way for fanboys to truly help Blackberry. But of course, Blackberry would need to listen and act on the feedback. And to be fair to us users, Blackberry takes years to react to our asks.
    Agree
    02-22-17 04:09 PM
    How about clicking on the source!

BlackBerry phones' fall from grace: CHART - Business Insider
    02-22-17 04:12 PM
    The chart doesn't include PRIV or the DTEKs as BlackBerry phones, those are lumped into Android, so it makes sense that OS7/BB10 would be pretty much done now, statistically.
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    02-22-17 05:46 PM
    The chart doesn't include PRIV or the DTEKs as BlackBerry phones, those are lumped into Android, so it makes sense that OS7/BB10 would be pretty much done now, statistically.
    And how many unit do you really think BlackBerry sold. Funny! Come on, set the cool-aid down and back away dude.
    02-22-17 11:35 PM
    And how many unit do you really think BlackBerry sold. Funny! Come on, set the cool-aid down and back away dude.
    How is pointing out that the last 15 months of BBs focus has been Droid, drinking "cool - aid" ? It just seems an obvious outcome that the legacy devices would trend to zero as people upgrade, to whatever platform they land on.
    02-22-17 11:56 PM
    How is pointing out that the last 15 months of BBs focus has been Droid, drinking "cool - aid" ? It just seems an obvious outcome that the legacy devices would trend to zero as people upgrade, to whatever platform they land on.
    OK, I agree. Just very eye opening when iOS sells 71 mil. Droid sells 380'ish mil, and BlackBerry sells around 289k staggering... I'll have a drink of that!
    02-23-17 12:08 AM
    My point exactly. Not fanboying, was happy with my Z10 when it was new, but have been waiting for a good replacement for it since then, landed on the 60.

People aren't stupid, if I told you Pontiac was discontinuing production, would you still buy one? Also, not saying their sales are great on these devices either, just saying those are old devices, running old software. Consumers don't want that.
    02-23-17 07:40 AM
    My point exactly. Not fanboying, was happy with my Z10 when it was new, but have been waiting for a good replacement for it since then, landed on the 60.

People aren't stupid, if I told you Pontiac was discontinuing production, would you still buy one? Also, not saying their sales are great on these devices either, just saying those are old devices, running old software. Consumers don't want that.
    I will never buy a driodberry, BB is a shadow of their former self.

Thus POS S5 reminded my why I hate droid phones.

Either Microsoft or Apple from now on.
    02-23-17 07:52 AM
    It was a formality at this point, but BlackBerry's share of the smartphone market has officially fallen to 0.0%. According to research firm Gartner, just under 208,000 devices running BlackBerry OS were sold in the fourth quarter of 2016, bringing the once-leading smartphone brand to a position of near-total irrelevance.

This chart from Statista shows just how deep the drop has been. Again, it's not a surprise - BlackBerry announced its exit from the hardware business last September after years of the writing being on the wall. Instead, it's now focused on software like its QNX operating system for connected cars.

This doesn't mean BlackBerry phones are gone for good though: Chinese manufacturer TCL is trying to revive the brand with new Android phones that keep the old-school aesthetic. One of those, the "Mercury," comes with a full QWERTY keyboard, and is expected to be showcased at this month's Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona.

blackberry sales chart
    This is old news as well as fake news. It would be as if an auto magazine announced that Oldsmobile has zero market share as the division shut down and inventory was sold off.
    02-23-17 03:37 PM
    What that graph really shows is that BB's failure began long, long ago, under Mike's "leadership" (a word I'll use lightly). All those who blame Chen, who came in at the very end of 2013, should take a good, hard look at this graph and explain how everything left of Nov 2013 was somehow Chen's fault.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-23-17 09:06 PM
    This is old news as well as fake news. It would be as if an auto magazine announced that Oldsmobile has zero market share as the division shut down and inventory was sold off.
    Oh, your one of the "fake news" people. Understand your post now. Thanks for sharing, and letting us know what is real, and what is "fake news" .
    sonicpix likes this.
    02-23-17 09:36 PM
    Oh, your one of the "fake news" people. Understand your post now. Thanks for sharing, and letting us know what is real, and what is "fake news" .
    Not true at all, GM is not selling Oldsmobile, BlackBerry is still selling phones with the BlackBerry OS. Just a fact, not fake!
    02-23-17 09:40 PM
    I will never buy a driodberry, BB is a shadow of their former self.

Thus POS S5 reminded my why I hate droid phones.

Either Microsoft or Apple from now on.
    That's fine man, do what you do. I had some Samsung's also and hated them and Droid, but this phone doesn't feel or act like that at all. BlackBerry mobile division is a shadow now, but they have other sources of revenue, so I'm not so worried they will disappear.
    02-24-17 02:19 AM
    What that graph really shows is that BB's failure began long, long ago, under Mike's "leadership" (a word I'll use lightly). All those who blame Chen, who came in at the very end of 2013, should take a good, hard look at this graph and explain how everything left of Nov 2013 was somehow Chen's fault.
    Yup, looks like Chen's fault to me.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    02-24-17 06:36 AM
    OP, you missing this chart as comparison. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...em-since-2009/
    the number of unit as BB produced/sold might be more of telling story... % market share as BB's MFG scale, it never ever would be able to do so to match the market expansion... The MFG expansion is not in the BB roadmap - it always focus on business... The market share expansion is majority in consumer, and BB handset for dual use (BB10, two screen) didn't fly well.. plus all the other hiccups...
    02-24-17 07:33 AM
    That's still does not justify inability to produce up to date hardware device with bb10, with better camera software and at the very end better pricing. My BB Z30 was doing everything i need (don't need much I guess when it comes to pps) but camera sucked so bad that I lost hope in brand. At some point you think I should stop abusing myself and move on...And many did.
    02-24-17 07:44 AM
    I thought the same.
    02-24-17 07:52 AM
    Not true at all, GM is not selling Oldsmobile, BlackBerry is still selling phones with the BlackBerry OS. Just a fact, not fake!
    Blackberry selling phones, yours right old new stock to get rid of them. That should create real market share!
    02-24-17 10:12 AM
26 12