Hi guys
    I am trying to get the best camera on a BlackBerry phone
    So far, it looks like the Passport has the best camera (compared to Motion, Classic, and Leap)
    What about the DTEK 60 camera? Is it better than the Passport?
    What is the best BlackBerry camera?

Posted via CB10
    07-21-18 06:40 PM
    Maybe the KEYone.
    07-21-18 07:28 PM
    I have heard that the PRIV has a great camera.
    moonflyer and 2cats1dog like this.
    07-22-18 12:09 AM
    They both do. I would say that the Keyone is better. Especially the selfie cam.
    07-25-18 01:57 PM
    Is the KeyOne camera similar to the one in Motion?

Are they both better than the Passport camera?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-28-18 06:49 AM
    I can't compare the KEYone camera with the PRIV or Motion cameras, but I can tell you it is the best camera I've ever used in a Blackberry branded device (had a Passport, a DTEK60 and now rocking the KEYone BE).

But really? If camera quality is the most important factor for you, then you should be looking into other brands.. Blackberry branded devices never were and probably never will be about the camera..

If you still want a Blackberry branded device, get one of the latest releases, Passport was a great device but BB10 is dead, PRIV isn't getting regular updates anymore, DTEK60 was the least sold device of recent years and is bound to get cut out of the regular updates schedule sooner than later.
    07-28-18 09:24 AM
    Too bad, because my Dtek60 takes great pictures. Still on May update though.

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    07-28-18 09:59 AM
    Sorry, this is just my perception, but to me, asking about the best camera on a BlackBerry is like asking which Lamborghini had the best towing capacity.

Blackberry's best qualities have always been innovative navigation/workflows for formal, secure written communication, rugged, practical design, and battery life . Everything else has been pretty much in the "good enough" class.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Qorax likes this.
    07-28-18 10:22 AM
    After coming from 8520, q10, then classic the KEYone is best but should be as it's the newest, you do have to work it to get the best out of it. I would say though we went to a party in a barn where lighting was challenging and I took some video of the band as did my other half on her Samsung j5 2017 model and her video was streets ahead of mine in the keyone but photos not so different.
    07-28-18 10:47 AM
    The Priv camera is pretty decent.
    moonflyer likes this.
    07-28-18 12:13 PM
    Thank you guys
    Yes, camera is essential to my work, just taking photos with my phone and send to the laptop

I used my Passport for a year and it produced very good photos (or maybe I got used to it)

Now trying to upgrade, I got the Motion but still trying to get around the camera to get good photos like the Passport and hopefully beyond... but not yet!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-18 08:02 PM
    Too bad, because my Dtek60 takes great pictures. Still on May update though.

I have a PRIV and a KEYone. A family member has a DTEK60. I think the photos she gets may be better than what I get with either of my devices. The PRIV takes great pictures too, though it is a little slow. Yes, the KEYone has a good camera as well. Some of its pictures are better than my PRIV and some not as good, depending on the setting and the lighting etc.
    07-30-18 12:52 AM
    I have heard that the PRIV has a great camera.
    The selfie camera on the Priv is poor. The main camera is excellent.
    moonflyer likes this.
    07-30-18 01:16 AM
    Thank you guys
    Yes, camera is essential to my work, just taking photos with my phone and send to the laptop

I used my Passport for a year and it produced very good photos (or maybe I got used to it)

Now trying to upgrade, I got the Motion but still trying to get around the camera to get good photos like the Passport and hopefully beyond... but not yet!

Posted via CB10
    Using the camera on manual mode really helps improving picture quality by adjusting the settings to your needs. Blackberry Mobile is yet to develop a more accurate auto mode...

Also, I always felt that Blackberry cameras tend to wash up colors (not sure if it's software or sensor related), which can be "corrected" most of the times by selecting the vivid filter (bottom right of the camera app), if you don't need the colors to be true.
    07-30-18 02:18 AM
    I took those photos with my BBMotion, with auto, only using the simple exposion trick, tap on the screen on the subjekt you like to shoot, wait for the bip bip sound, then stand still Donn't move AT ALL, press the shoot button. when you had press the shoot button, wait a split second before you move the phone. When you can see your shot down in the left corner. you can move your done.
    Attached Thumbnails Best BlackBerry camera-unknown-1.jpg   Best BlackBerry camera-unknown.jpg  
    Bay 13 likes this.
    07-30-18 07:04 AM
    Not a bad indoor picture at night. Artificial light. Dtek60.

Attached Thumbnails Best BlackBerry camera-orchid-b-1-29-18-01.jpg  
    07-30-18 10:29 AM
    I took those photos with my BBMotion, with auto, only using the simple exposion trick, tap on the screen on the subjekt you like to shoot, wait for the bip bip sound, then stand still Donn't move AT ALL, press the shoot button. when you had press the shoot button, wait a split second before you move the phone. When you can see your shot down in the left corner. you can move your done.
    Just a tip, like I said earlier, if you use the manual mode, changing the shutter's speed to smaller values (i.e.: 1/200 < 1/50) will increase the speed the picture is taken. The quicker the shutter speed is, less light is going to be absorbed, making the photo darker, but it will also reduce blur from shaking. If you are taking pictures on broad day light outdoors, something like 1/200 speed shouldn't make too much of a difference when it comes to the photo's brightness (which can also be corrected in manual settings) and you won't have to worry about being absolutely still.

Good shot, Russell. I did like my DTEK60's camera but the KEYone's seems to be quicker and a little bit sharper. Honestly, the only real problem I had with the DTEK60, besides the battery not lasting a full work day, was that I could not for the love of me get used to a VKB.
    07-30-18 11:23 AM
    Just a tip, like I said earlier, if you use the manual mode, changing the shutter's speed to smaller values (i.e.: 1/200 < 1/50) will increase the speed the picture is taken. The quicker the shutter speed is, less light is going to be absorbed, making the photo darker, but it will also reduce blur from shaking. That is true, and will work fine as long the motive don't move or the light change

If you are taking pictures on broad day light outdoors, something like 1/200 speed shouldn't make too much of a difference when it comes to the photo's brightness (which can also be corrected in manual settings) and you won't have to worry about being absolutely still. (that depends on what your aperture and iso are set to be.

The exposure is the result of 3 things, shutter speed, aperture, iso. of cause you can set the shutter to 1/200 but if your aperture is f.2.0 and you are shooting landscape or things that is not close to you, you will not get a full sharp image, only the spot where you sat your camera to fokus will be sharp. and if you are taking pictures of sport, birds flying etc. 1/200 is not enough.

I can agree with you that manual settings is more precise, but only if you now what you're doing. To people who don't know what aperture and iso etc. is, OR in the daily life where you don't always have the time to go through all the manual settings. Auto mode is what we will be using.
    07-30-18 04:58 PM
    Just a tip, like I said earlier, if you use the manual mode, changing the shutter's speed to smaller values (i.e.: 1/200 < 1/50) will increase the speed the picture is taken. The quicker the shutter speed is, less light is going to be absorbed, making the photo darker, but it will also reduce blur from shaking. That is true, and will work fine as long the motive don't move or the light change

If you are taking pictures on broad day light outdoors, something like 1/200 speed shouldn't make too much of a difference when it comes to the photo's brightness (which can also be corrected in manual settings) and you won't have to worry about being absolutely still. (that depends on what your aperture and iso are set to be.

The exposure is the result of 3 things, shutter speed, aperture, iso. of cause you can set the shutter to 1/200 but if your aperture is f.2.0 and you are shooting landscape or things that is not close to you, you will not get a full sharp image, only the spot where you sat your camera to fokus will be sharp. and if you are taking pictures of sport, birds flying etc. 1/200 is not enough.

I can agree with you that manual settings is more precise, but only if you now what you're doing. To people who don't know what aperture and iso etc. is, OR in the daily life where you don't always have the time to go through all the manual settings. Auto mode is what we will be using.
    Sorry, I assumed wrongly you didn't already know how to explore the manual settings.

You are right about the other camera settings, when I wrote my other post I was just trying to make the information as simple as possible so everyone reading would be able to understand.. I started writing and it got to long, so I tried to stick to the absolute necessary, also considering that manual mode on the KEYone sets all values you don't change yourself automatically if you don't wanna mess with them.

Yeah, 1/200 is not ideal for sports and other fast moving things, but it was just an example that works well to general situations. I just assumed that for special situations, like the ones you mentioned, the person would already know how to use the camera properly and/or would be using a real camera. Smartphone cameras came a long way, but there will always be the small sensor problem due to the limited internal space for hardware.

While we are still on the subject, I remember reading somewhere in the forums that the Motion camera was a bit inconsistent, probably due to software oscillations. The thing is that "inconsistent" is very vague. Have you had any problems with yours?
    07-30-18 05:49 PM
    I use both Dtek60 and the Priv. I find no preference really , both do a good job with pictures and video. The only one problem the Dtek60 has with weather temperature because of the glass. To hot ,to cold it shuts down.🙁
    08-02-18 08:24 PM