If it's been stored even moderately well, it would be absolutely fine.

Lithium loses 6% charge every year at 32 deg F.
    How much does it lose in a hot Chinese warehouse?
    01-01-18 09:49 PM
    How much does it lose in a hot Chinese warehouse?
    Again, you are making an accusation without providing any reasonable proof or citation. A Chinese warehouse specializing in selling lithium-ion batteries would likely not be "hot", and have proper storage procedures.
    01-01-18 09:58 PM
    Again, you are making an accusation without providing any reasonable proof or citation. A Chinese warehouse specializing in selling lithium-ion batteries would likely not be "hot", and have proper storage procedures.
    How do you know it was stored "even moderately well?"
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-02-18 12:21 AM
    How do you know it was stored "even moderately well?"
    Because that is the business they are in.

If you have specific proof that they are being negligent, then provide the citation.

If I required a full audit trail for everything I buy from anywhere - from manufacture to day of delivery - I wouldn't be able to buy anything ever, and I'd starve to death inside a week.
    Last edited by conite; 01-02-18 at 12:52 AM.
    01-02-18 12:26 AM
    Because that is the business they are in.

If you have specific proof that they are being negligent, then provide the citation.
    You don't know what the chain of custody looks like before it got to the seller. Could have changed many hands and handled differently each time. It did have over 2 years to make the rounds, no?

And you certainly have no basis to assume that the seller is operating from a temperature and humidity controller environment. For all we know, it could be a dude in a small shop.

What remains at the end of the day as fact is that it's a 2.5 year old battery. That point, at least, is not debatable. Given how badly these SCUD batteries have deteriorated within the year in our phones, I see no reason to assume these same batteries would have aged gracefully in storage.

As to your objection that I don't have statistical evidence to PROVE that they would age poorly in storage, yes, you are right, I don't. What I do know is that these batteries are crap and there is an ocean of peeps here @CrackBerry that would agree.

Now, back to what matters. The OP is pissed that he can't get service. Sounds like he is not a technical guy and he doesn't want to deal with it. He has the right to be angry for no service, and the golden rule applies: Take your money to where you are treated best. Always. Mic drop.
    01-02-18 01:23 AM
    1. It ain't been "properly stored" over there.

2. There's a darn good chance (I give it 8 in 10) that battery is NOT new but is a "pull" from a device that was scrapped.

The only reasonable replacement source where you can be rationally secure in #2 not being the case is a cell with a manufacturing date in the last six months or thereabouts.
    01-02-18 10:12 AM
    Ok guys. Holy smokes. This whole battery store is beside the point, but here:

https://www.batterycanada.com/tlp030f1.asp

$31 USD. $39 CDN.

1 year warranty.

I was only trying to suggest that batteries are cheap, and it's not worth getting one's knickers in a twist and wasting months of time and energy.

Lawsuits are based on actual damages incurred. A $31 battery and a $25 charge to have it slapped in does not seem the basis for a viable/wise suit.
    Last edited by conite; 01-02-18 at 11:15 AM.
    01-02-18 10:51 AM
    Ok now THAT'S legit. It's a third-party battery but that's ok; I assume they put the proper thermister in it so the phone can read the temperature properly of course.

If I couldn't source an authentic OEM cell with a recent manufacturing date that's the way I'd go and it's not an unreasonable asking price.
    conite likes this.
    01-02-18 10:57 AM
    I have a dtek60 since december 2016. The battery last 3 hours and i tryed to find a tech suport in Spain... It is an impossible mission. They dont have any phone to call, any email to contact... I can understand why this brand is close to the end. How is this possible ? How is possible is not a way to get a support? How is possible a device has this problem with 1 year?
    Next time switch to Apple or to another brand with a better customer service. Sorry for what happened to you. Unfortunately BB does not care about customers.
    01-02-18 11:07 PM
    Next time switch to Apple or to another brand with a better customer service. Sorry for what happened to you. Unfortunately BB does not care about customers.
    Since BlackBerry is no longer in the hardware business, the desire to please former customers declines rapidly since there's very little reason to do so.
    01-02-18 11:29 PM
    Mention the costs of the battery replacement a few more times and it will be down to $10 for a non-counterfeit battery and kitchen drawer tools.

I am way too old to be a millennial, and don't diss them anyway. In our ponzi-scheme economy, Gen X/Y is supposed to buy out retiring baby boomer's inflated assets, and then Millennials will be buying same from Gen-X/Y. Don't break their willingness to take on huge debt to fulfill their end of the social contract.
    Ditto, and well said!
    01-03-18 11:34 AM
    Unfortunately, I must agree.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-03-18 11:35 AM
    Since BlackBerry is no longer in the hardware business, the desire to please former customers declines rapidly since there's very little reason to do so.
    They should sell the entire company, before it will be too late to gain still a bit of credibility.
    01-04-18 11:41 AM
    The original BlackBerry is doing much better as company according to recent share price. They made the right decision when they dropped all hardware.
    01-04-18 12:35 PM
    Same problem here. I sent mine in 2x for a battery replace and it seems like they just wipe the phone down with a cloth and send it back to me. No change whatsoever. My phone reboots when it reaches 29 percent and says 0 percent battery. I'm about fed up w this phone.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-05-18 10:13 AM
    Same problem here. I sent mine in 2x for a battery replace and it seems like they just wipe the phone down with a cloth and send it back to me. No change whatsoever. My phone reboots when it reaches 29 percent and says 0 percent battery. I'm about fed up w this phone.
    My experience was the same.

I've had the Torch2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, the Priv, and the DTEK60.

All were excellent devices, EXCEPT the DTEK60, which has been a disaster.

The DTEK60 battery and electronics are shot after ten months of moderate use.

Sent it back twice to the "Alcatel authorized Repair Centre" with no improvement. They lied about performing a "Software Upgrade" since the Android version remained 6.0.1. They claimed they replaced the battery, but the phone still shuts down within 30 minutes for no reason.

Now involved in law suit.
    01-05-18 09:17 PM
    My experience was the same.

I've had the Torch2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, the Priv, and the DTEK60.

All were excellent devices, EXCEPT the DTEK60, which has been a disaster.

The DTEK60 battery and electronics are shot after ten months of moderate use.

Sent it back twice to the "Alcatel authorized Repair Centre" with no improvement. They lied about performing a "Software Upgrade" since the Android version remained 6.0.1. They claimed they replaced the battery, but the phone still shuts down within 30 minutes for no reason.

Now involved in law suit.
    What does a lawyer charge for something like that?
    01-06-18 08:27 PM
    What does a lawyer charge for something like that?
    Nothing. Plaintiffs do not require a lawyer for Small Claims Court proceedings in Québec and Ontario.

In fact, lawyers are barred from appearing for such proceedings in Québec.

I am a lawyer and MBA by training, however.
    tubularbell likes this.
    01-06-18 08:30 PM
    My battery was affected by the applications I was using, many that I can't recall the number of them.

After formatting and installing verified applications the device battery became much better and lasted as expected.
    01-08-18 12:11 AM
    I wish I had never purchased this phone. Have been dealing with the poor battery issue as the phone would only hold a charge for less than an hour. I am getting the runaround by BlackBerry for almost three months. I am still waiting for my phone to be repaired and BB want to weasel out of doing so. I've had a few BBs, never again. I would definitely join in a class action lawsuit.
    01-09-18 11:29 AM
    I wish I had never purchased this phone. Have been dealing with the poor battery issue as the phone would only hold a charge for less than an hour. I am getting the runaround by BlackBerry for almost three months. I am still waiting for my phone to be repaired and BB want to weasel out of doing so. I've had a few BBs, never again. I would definitely join in a class action lawsuit.
    Sorry to hear all this. Your best choice of action :

1) If under warranty, keep proofs of attempts to repair the device by the authorized repair centre for your country.

2) if you are not satisfied, contact the dealer and negotiate a solution; either refund or replacement device.

3) Determine if there is a Small Claims Court system in your jurisdiction.

4) First send a demand letter "without prejudice" to the merchant asking for a solution. State a deadline (ex: 10 days).

5) Investigate and research laws in your jurisdiction. For example, is there a Consumer Protect Act, as is the case here in Quebec? Some countries have extensive consumer protection laws, including precedents that demand three to five years "implicit warranty" protection beyond the one year offered official warranty offered by the manufacturer.

6) File a Statement of Claim in court, and make sure a copy is served on the defendant or respondent.

7) keep all documents and prepare for court. Most Small Claims Courts don't require you to have a lawyer. Some bar lawyers.

Good luck!
    ufmh likes this.
    01-09-18 12:30 PM
    Thank you very much. I live in Ontario and the dealer's store was expropriated so I guess small claims is next if it doesn't get fixed. Much obliged.
    01-09-18 06:56 PM
    Thank you very much. I live in Ontario and the dealer's store was expropriated so I guess small claims is next if it doesn't get fixed. Much obliged.
    As much as I would love to be a fly on the wall on your small claims court date, having have gone through it myself about a month ago, I suggest that you take a step back and realize that this is a small loss in your life all things considered.

I am sure you have lost more before and you will have far bigger losses in the future.

Your costs to file and serve defendant(s) will be at least as much as the monetary compensation you seek. Sure, you will get your fees back if you win, but there is a risk you won't, plus you will burn at least half a day in court.

As to your feelings in the matter (i.e. anger, deceit, etc), the judge won't care for it at all. All s/he will want from you is the demand letter and supporting documents. If you wrote a proper demand letter, your entire case will be distilled there, and that could take a few days to dial in correctly.

Is this worth all the effort to you? Are you that angry? I don't think so. The most effective middle-finger to BB/BBMo/TCL is to simply go out and buy something else. Second most effective middle-finger is to pee on their parade whenever they release a new phone by commenting in every forum to remind potential buyers that they will be "serviced" by the same contractors as you were.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-09-18 11:00 PM
    As much as I would love to be a fly on the wall on your small claims court date, having have gone through it myself about a month ago, I suggest that you take a step back and realize that this is a small loss in your life all things considered.

I am sure you have lost more before and you will have far bigger losses in the future.

Your costs to file and serve defendant(s) will be at least as much as the monetary compensation you seek. Sure, you will get your fees back if you win, but there is a risk you won't, plus you will burn at least half a day in court.

As to your feelings in the matter (i.e. anger, deceit, etc), the judge won't care for it at all. All s/he will want from you is the demand letter and supporting documents. If you wrote a proper demand letter, your entire case will be distilled there, and that could take a few days to dial in correctly.

Is this worth all the effort to you? Are you that angry? I don't think so. The most effective middle-finger to BB/BBMo/TCL is to simply go out and buy something else. Second most effective middle-finger is to pee on their parade whenever they release a new phone by commenting in every forum to remind potential buyers that they will be "serviced" by the same contractors as you were.
    And this is where the problem lies. The companies don't really bother, because all of the customers act on their own behalf, and almost everyone of them will take their loss. Just as @conite suggests. That is ofcourse the personal right of any individual, but it also means that this sh*t won't stop.
    Initially I had hoped that Crackberry.com was the community that would help to maybe change things. Kind of media attention. But I think the DMU at Crackberry.com / Mobile Nations will decide not to.

It would be nice to try if some other media companies are willing to do some research on this. In the Netherlands we have Radar, on TV and Social. But I guess that I might be the only one complaining about customercare by BlackBerry.

No safety in numbers... I think the DTEK60 didn't even get to 500 sold units here in NL.
    ufmh likes this.
    01-10-18 01:22 AM
    ...... Kind of media attention. But I think the DMU at Crackberry.com / Mobile Nations will decide not to.
    We would need exploding batteries to get attention.

Just remember this: Always give your money to those that treat you best.

I, too, bought a DTEK60 from a failing brand.* It was a mistake. Voting with your money and warning others is denying them the sales that justify their existence.

*To the regular apologists here: Please don't tell me how BBMo/TCL has nothing to do with old BB. I get it. We all get it. Please don't repeat. It's getting old.
    01-10-18 03:07 AM
78 1234