I have a Dtek60 that I purchased in April 2017. In September I dropped it and broke the screen, but just used it that way as it was just a couple of cracks. Company opened up in town that fixed screens so I decided to get it fixed. I got the phone back yesterday, and the tech mentioned that the battery was not charging properly and suggested a replacement. I was having no battery issues before dropping it off to get the screen fixed, and now it will not charge past 34%, and when I disconnect the charger it will be dead in less than a minute.
    Anybody have any ideas why this would happen, and what could have been done that would cause this?
    01-26-18 10:29 AM
    I have a Dtek60 that I purchased in April 2017. In September I dropped it and broke the screen, but just used it that way as it was just a couple of cracks. Company opened up in town that fixed screens so I decided to get it fixed. I got the phone back yesterday, and the tech mentioned that the battery was not charging properly and suggested a replacement. I was having no battery issues before dropping it off to get the screen fixed, and now it will not charge past 34%, and when I disconnect the charger it will be dead in less than a minute.
    Anybody have any ideas why this would happen, and what could have been done that would cause this?
    It's a DTEK60. Known for battery issues within time frame of first year. Many have complained on here about having problems under warranty. Device returned not fixed or receiving wiped device. Some have reported device returned not fixed.

If shop will replace battery all-in for $50 or less, sounds like worth it for the alternative hassle factor.
    01-26-18 10:36 AM
    It's strange the more premium of the two devices seems to have a real "issue" with the power module.

Just replacing the battery doesn't fix the issue, for most of those that have had it.

Even if you are out of your warranty period... I'd call support. Might not mention someone else replacing the screen or you dropping it.
    01-26-18 10:42 AM
    I see the other issues mentioned about battery issues, but everything was working fine with the battery before the screen replacement, then I get it back and blam, the battery is $#!+...?
    Like taking a car in for an oil change and suddenly the MAP sensor is screwed. Pisses me off.
    01-26-18 12:12 PM
    It's a DTEK60. Known for battery issues within time frame of first year. Many have complained on here about having problems under warranty. Device returned not fixed or receiving wiped device. Some have reported device returned not fixed.

If shop will replace battery all-in for $50 or less, sounds like worth it for the alternative hassle factor.
    Yup. I'm one of those people. Sent in my DTEK60 twice for repair due to battery / charge problems, and twice came back with no change. Alcatel Repair Centre (SBE Canada) claimed software upgrade twice and battery change once, but that was all lies.
    01-26-18 02:02 PM
    It's strange the more premium of the two devices seems to have a real "issue" with the power module.

Just replacing the battery doesn't fix the issue, for most of those that have had it.

Even if you are out of your warranty period... I'd call support. Might not mention someone else replacing the screen or you dropping it.
    I agree. This is not just a battery issue.
    01-26-18 02:02 PM
    I see the other issues mentioned about battery issues, but everything was working fine with the battery before the screen replacement, then I get it back and blam, the battery is $#!+...?
    Like taking a car in for an oil change and suddenly the MAP sensor is screwed. Pisses me off.
    Just coincidence I'm afraid. I cracked screen on both DTEK and was going to ride it out for a year on both 50 and 60. The 60 battery was showing bit of degradation in December. Wasn't good idea to claim warranty repair since I wasn't going to pay to fix screen. I replaced the 60 with KEYone and the 50 with A30 Plus on cheap Amazon deal. I'm waiting for the Motion to come to AT&T. If not, I'll get the next BBMo/TCL device that AT&T offers after the KEYone.
    01-26-18 02:50 PM
    So, truth be told, not my phone, but one of my users (just easier to write first person). I talked to the repair shop, and he says the battery is swelling. Again, user says that it was working fine the day before it was taken in (no reason to doubt user, some you can tell). I went in with the users phone, and the tech took the back off again to show me the swelling. Honestly I couldn't see it, and could hardly feel a bump on the battery. He also mentioned that he has found reports on the internet that the latest software update to the 60 is causing the issue I am seeing with the phone. Has anybody else heard of the software update excuse for loosing battery power in minutes?

So this is what was happening when I had the phone in the office. So turned on the phone and plugged it in, was sitting at 38% or something like that and the lightning bolt was on the battery icon. Go into battery level icon, and it shows 38% and says not charging. So I unplug the phone and it starts dropping like a rock. Down to 20% in about 30 seconds. So I plug it back in, it keeps dropping, down to 0%, but never turns off.
    Left it like that for 30 minutes, still 0% but running. Unplug it, and it says it is shutting down. After it shuts down, I plug it back in, battery indicator comes up and shows 0%. Leave it like that for another 30 minutes, and it never changes. Unplug it, and plug it back in, suddenly it is at 42%. Leave it for 20 min and no change.
    That's when I took it back to the shop. He is looking at it again, double checking all connections and testing it.
    I'll update when I get it back.
    01-26-18 03:14 PM
    That sounds like the battery is internally shorted (dead); a partial internal short will do that as the charger will not come out of bulk mode because the voltage never reaches the switching point. Since the voltage never comes up it will show little or no power (and die immediately when unplugged.)

The "swelling" is due to internal pressure build-up; a battery in that condition has failed and requires replacement; if you KEEP charging it and have a charger that can deliver enough current there is a risk of the cell bursting which is bad news.

The good news is that the battery is not very expensive; its the same one used in the Idol 4S and they're available. If you have the back off already changing it is a 5 minute exercise.
    01-27-18 05:55 AM