11-17-17 10:19 AM
85 ... 234
tools
    That's proof of a high-resistance battery failure. Have it swapped.

What's going on is that the battery when "floating" (not under material load) has a perfectly-good voltage but as soon as you try to load it the voltage output collapses. The root cause is that the cell has developed high resistance internally -- it has failed, effectively. This is generally how Li chemistry batteries fail when at end-of-life (or if just plain defective) and the typical cell will go ~500 full cycles before it starts to do this. Yes, the manufacturers know that, and if you must charge twice a day, well.....

The failure mode also impairs charging rates; if you look closely at the charging profile where you should be able to get close to 3,000ma worth of charge out of a QC3.0 charger you will get about half that to somewhere around 2,000, and the reason is that the high resistance in the cell limits charge rate due to excessive heating.

The only fix is to have the battery swapped -- it's dead. This is *why* the "sealed battery" game is as big of a problem as it is.
    Thanks very much for this excellent explanation. It confirms my suspicions about the failing battery in my DTEK60.
    11-09-17 11:35 AM
    That's proof of a high-resistance battery failure. Have it swapped.

What's going on is that the battery when "floating" (not under material load) has a perfectly-good voltage but as soon as you try to load it the voltage output collapses. The root cause is that the cell has developed high resistance internally -- it has failed, effectively. This is generally how Li chemistry batteries fail when at end-of-life (or if just plain defective) and the typical cell will go ~500 full cycles before it starts to do this. Yes, the manufacturers know that, and if you must charge twice a day, well.....

The failure mode also impairs charging rates; if you look closely at the charging profile where you should be able to get close to 3,000ma worth of charge out of a QC3.0 charger you will get about half that to somewhere around 2,000, and the reason is that the high resistance in the cell limits charge rate due to excessive heating.

The only fix is to have the battery swapped -- it's dead. This is *why* the "sealed battery" game is as big of a problem as it is.
    I'd be willing to pay for a new battery as I used to do for my BlackBerry Torch 2 9810, but as you say, the batteries are now sealed into devices.
    11-09-17 11:36 AM
    Well, they may be sealed but you should be able to pay to have it swapped.

I suspect (but haven't torn a DTEK60 down) that it's the same battery as the Alcatel model it's based off, and if so there's plenty of batteries. It's a MAJOR high-wire act to get into the phone yourself on that device due to the glass back which would be REAL easy to crack while attempting to remove it. An authorized repair center has the correct tools to do the job without damage (they certainly did with my phone.)

I have changed two Priv batteries for friends; on that phone it's easy to get into it since the back is pretty-much secured only with snaps and has pin-contact connectors for the antennas in the back and wireless charge connectors (no cables to worry about), and both failed the same way. The Priv batteries, at least around the start of this year, were available and about $35; it took me less than 15 minutes to swap it.
    11-09-17 12:46 PM
    Well, they may be sealed but you should be able to pay to have it swapped.

I suspect (but haven't torn a DTEK60 down) that it's the same battery as the Alcatel model it's based off, and if so there's plenty of batteries. It's a MAJOR high-wire act to get into the phone yourself on that device due to the glass back which would be REAL easy to crack while attempting to remove it. An authorized repair center has the correct tools to do the job without damage (they certainly did with my phone.)

I have changed two Priv batteries for friends; on that phone it's easy to get into it since the back is pretty-much secured only with snaps and has pin-contact connectors for the antennas in the back and wireless charge connectors (no cables to worry about), and both failed the same way. The Priv batteries, at least around the start of this year, were available and about $35; it took me less than 15 minutes to swap it.
    Wow, that's great. I would love to be able to change the battery in my DTEK60.
    11-09-17 02:04 PM
    My suspicion is that the "correct tool" is a heated plate that is in a shape matching where the adhesive is on the back; it would of course soften the adhesive by heating the glass back right behind where the the heat is applied, and only there.

This would make removal trivial and if coupled with a suction device for the rest of the back essentially risk-free since there would be no flexing force applied to the back cover.

Putting it back on once you're done is easy and since this is not a water-sealed device there is no gasketing or sealant integrity to worry about; the only trick to the procedure is getting the back off without breaking it. You need 3m VHB tape for the reinstall of the back when you're done but that's easily-sourced.

And gee, look what I have here..... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...gAAOSwhvFZCaXS

3000mah -- correct size. No idea if the physical size, connector location and pinning are correct tho. If they are there you go -- it then just becomes a matter of being able to open the phone without destroying the back cover.
    11-09-17 03:07 PM
    there is no option available for India. BlackBerry authorized service centre are hard to find unless you send your phone to leading cities. Feels like stuck in middle of no where.

lesson learnt : dont buy a phone unless you find its service in your town.
    11-10-17 01:48 AM
    Ordered a new battery through authorized centre who asked to keep the device for 10 days atleast. I don't have invoice with me to claim warranty so Paid full price ₹1290 ($20), so they can place order and I can go 80km away when to battery arrives to fix my phone in couple of hours. Better than wait for current third party service to get registered under BlackBerry and then place an order.
    11-10-17 08:11 AM
    The first time I sent my DTEK60 to the Canadian Alcatel Repair Centre in October, they kept it for three weeks and did nothing. the battery still ran down in two hours, and shut down at 25%.

I sent back the DTEK60 to the Alcatel Repair Centre November 16.

I hope they do some proper repair, or swap the battery this time....
    11-16-17 07:17 PM
  9. dennisetheridge902@gmail.com's Avatar
    Same as my Story except im not sending it back the second time. the repair centre is unorganized and poor quality control.. and the slap in the face they gave me after having my phone for four weeks and with all the confusion.. they sent me a brand new Black Berry dual Lawyer Case for a KeyOne .. like WTF slap in the face or are they sending me a subtle message to move from the Dteck 60.. needless to say I wont be needing their KeyOne case
    11-17-17 09:09 AM
    Yes, it's alcatel battery. I got my phone today. Battery performing much much better. Also to people who are experiencing poor battery life, please DONT try to calibrate your battery . I tried and resulted in high resistance failure. If there's nothing that helps in getting battery performance then just get it replaced.
    11-17-17 10:19 AM
85 ... 234