09-15-17 08:36 AM
214 ... 34567 ...
tools
    STOP DOING THAT!

Google will silently blackball your check if you hammer their systems like this, and that blackball may last for a week or longer.

Once a day will probably not trigger it, but if you're repeatedly hammering them several times a day you WILL trigger it. There's no way to know if you're on the list except when you don't get updates -- and since it's definitely available you can reasonably assume you ARE on the list.
    Good grief!!!

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    08-29-17 09:18 AM
    Given the amount of complaining that all of us have done in this and other forums, as well as the comments on the articles, I'm a little surprised that CrackBerry hasn't posted an article announcing that the DTEK60 is receiving the August patch.

I wonder if they are trying to avoid pointing out the fact that this particular device has been receiving delayed patches and missing patches for the last 4-5 months...
    But in the overall context of the DTEK devices, it's not a disaster:

DTEK60

Nov - Nov11 - build AAH487
    Dec - Dec5 - build AAI039
    Jan - Jan4 - build AAI470
    Feb - Feb5 - build AAJ051
    Mar - Mar9 - build AAJ934
    Apr - missed
    May - May8 - build AAL158
    Jun - Jul14 - build AAM326
    Jul - missed
    Aug - Aug28 - build AAN548

DTEK50

Sep - Aug 30 - build AAG326
    Oct - Oct 18 - build AAH108
    Nov - Dec 5 - build AAH990
    Dec - Jan 5 - build AAI482
    Jan - Jan 13 - build AAI795
    Feb - Feb 15 - build AAJ221
    Mar - Mar 6 - build AAJ842
    Apr - Apr 5 - build AAK406
    May - May 5 - build AAL135
    Jun - Jul 7 - build AAM312
    Jul - Jul 24 - build AAM770
    Aug - Aug 15 - build AAN493
    Matty likes this.
    08-29-17 09:26 AM
    Any proof to back this up?
    You have it right in this thread in the post I replied to.

Do what you want; the risk of hammering the server to be "first" is that you instead will be LAST.
    08-29-17 09:28 AM
    You have it right in this thread in the post I replied to.

Do what you want; the risk of hammering the server to be "first" is that you instead will be LAST.
    What, one guy without an update is proof of Google blocking people? Where did you get that Google does this before you saw that guy's post then? I am just curious, surely you can help someone out if you got the knowledge....

Hey, OCTHRussell, where are you located btw?
    08-29-17 09:41 AM
    Got my AUG Update last night. Now up to AUG 5 patch level.

Better late, than never.
    08-29-17 09:56 AM
    You THOUGHT you paid them to do it...

..and BlackBerry thought you paid them for a DTEK60 running Marshmallow with their version of Android, DTEK software and Hub+ Suite.

BlackBerry put their expectations in writing, and you signed it, so they win.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    BB..whatever

It's not about winning it's about treating people fairly ... is that such a difficult concept?
    chi-town311 likes this.
    08-29-17 10:07 AM
    What, one guy without an update is proof of Google blocking people? Where did you get that Google does this before you saw that guy's post then? I am just curious, surely you can help someone out if you got the knowledge....

This was explicitly warned against, for this exact reason, during the time there was an active Android Beta program.

If you wish to disregard the warning then that's up to you.

And by the way the blackball time was claimed to be an exponential back-off so you can make it materially worse by continuing to pound on the server prior to the lockdown expiring. I do not know (because it wasn't disclosed), however, what the decay rate is on that exponential sequence.
    08-29-17 10:13 AM
    This was explicitly warned against, for this exact reason, during the time there was an active Android Beta program.

And by the way the blackball time was claimed to be an exponential back-off so you can make it materially worse by continuing to pound on the server prior to the lockdown expiring. I do not know (because it wasn't disclosed), however, what the decay rate is on that exponential sequence.
    But on the DTEKs, we are just pinging the BlackBerry server. I don't think they have a mischief setting there.
    08-29-17 10:17 AM
    But on the DTEKs, we are just pinging the BlackBerry server. I don't think they have a mischief setting there.
    The context for the warning was during the *Android* (operating system, not application) beta program, and the process path for *system* updates hasn't changed as far as I can tell.
    08-29-17 10:27 AM
    The context for the warning was during the *Android* (operating system, not application) beta program, and the process path for *system* updates hasn't changed as far as I can tell.
    System updates are also unrelated to Google servers.
    08-29-17 10:29 AM
    System updates are also unrelated to Google servers.
    So then the context is even more likely to be accurate since I highly doubt whoever had implemented this before the beta turned it off after the beta program was shut down!
    08-29-17 10:33 AM
    Given the amount of complaining that all of us have done in this and other forums, as well as the comments on the articles, I'm a little surprised that CrackBerry hasn't posted an article announcing that the DTEK60 is receiving the August patch.

I wonder if they are trying to avoid pointing out the fact that this particular device has been receiving delayed patches and missing patches for the last 4-5 months...
    Ditto, I always waited for the the articles on updates and what was in them.
    08-29-17 10:37 AM

It's not about disregarding fair warnings, it's that I am always curious to see the legitimate evidence for warnings. Isn't that a normal thing of the current internet times? It doesn't have to do with me making a statement about you as a person, just looking for the signs as you will.. Didn't mean any offense.
    08-29-17 10:47 AM
    So then the context is even more likely to be accurate since I highly doubt whoever had implemented this before the beta turned it off after the beta program was shut down!
    I would not rely on information provided through the beta program. John was not in the loop on most issues.
    08-29-17 11:06 AM
    Well then don't -- but it certainly appears that someone who was hammering the update check got blackballed (I got the update immediately on checking for it and so have many others), so.......
    08-29-17 11:08 AM
    Well then don't -- but it certainly appears that someone who was hammering the update check got blackballed (I got the update immediately on checking for it and so have many others), so.......
    If we take a scientific approach, there are a few considerations here.

The first and foremost, your example only has a event rate of 1.

Next: the causal relation of hammering the update check cannot be based on anecdotal evidence. There may be numerous other reasons why the guy didn't get the update, such as those pointed out by Bla1ze and others. Because of regional and carrier availability.

Now if we really want to establish a causal relation, we need two identical KEYones (same carrier, bought as new from the same shop on the same day) and then hammer it on one and don't on the other. Obviously, repeat this in a few more pairs of KEYones and you have some kind of experiment going on!

That would obviously take it too far. I will definitely avoid hammering it too much, as I don't see any logic in it coming through right after I checked it an insignificant amount of time earlier... fingers crossed I am not on any blacklist already!

Edit: I keep forgetting it's the DTEK60 forum, my bad. Might as well replace KEYone with DTEK6 though!
    08-29-17 11:26 AM
    Except that, in the instant case, the DTEK60 wasn't sold by carriers.
    moonflyer likes this.
    08-29-17 11:36 AM
    Regional availability apparently is an old thing, irrespective of carrier soo.. I ain't got a clue man
    08-29-17 11:52 AM
    BB..whatever

It's not about winning it's about treating people fairly ... is that such a difficult concept?
    So long as they fulfill the terms of the agreement I signed, I feel treated fairly. Why don't you?

08-29-17 12:22 PM
    So long as they fulfill the terms of the agreement I signed, I feel treated fairly. Why don't you?

FYI - none of the devices have agreements that specify the frequency of updates and/or patches. So, why them and not us.

Get it yet?
    08-29-17 12:35 PM
    FYI - none of the devices have agreements that specify the frequency of updates and/or patches. So, why them and not us.

Get it yet?
    I absolutely understand your perspective, and I respect it. I just don't agree with you. To me, BlackBerry has been fulfilling the spirit of it's promise to patch monthly. I just don't see the irregularities as significant. I understand that you do.

I won't try to convince you that it's not a big deal, so please don't try to convince me that it is. :-)

IF BlackBerry actually stopped patching the Priv before the end of its useful life, I would find that very disappointing, but not a betrayal.

08-29-17 01:13 PM

NJ.
    Is checking twice a day for a few days hammering? Just started doing it when I heard people were getting it. My Q10 only allowed me to check every 24 hours.

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    08-29-17 03:26 PM
    I absolutely understand your perspective, and I respect it. I just don't agree with you. To me, BlackBerry has been fulfilling the spirit of it's promise to patch monthly. I just don't see the irregularities as significant. I understand that you do.

I won't try to convince you that it's not a big deal, so please don't try to convince me that it is. :-)

IF BlackBerry actually stopped patching the Priv before the end of its useful life, I would find that very disappointing, but not a betrayal.

Just pointing out the inconsistency within BlackBerry's execution of their "promise". DTEK60 owners signed off to the same exact agreement (don't know this for sure, but I would be shocked if the agreement is different) as any of the other device owners yet we have been missing updates and gotten them later on a consistent basis over the last 5 months.

If it's not a big deal to you, fine. But I believe those are the facts. Same agreement, different treatment. Not sure how that is fair, but apparently it is within the letter of the agreement. Legally I'm sure they are being "fair" but that doesn't translate into actual treatment.
    08-29-17 04:39 PM

Yes you've nailed it
    08-29-17 05:24 PM
    I have a DTEK50 for work. I don't understand why my personal DTEK60 is always behind.
    08-29-17 05:51 PM
214 ... 34567 ...