It has to be released in the next coming months or it loses a large percentage of its potential base to other devices. With BB10, either no longer developed or due to app support, a replacement needs to come out. I know 10yr + BlackBerry users who are ready to go Android for apps, would prefer a BlackBerry PKB but if they don't see it soon, they never will buy it.

Posted via CB10
    Hope Chen feels the same.
    QERNB likes this.
    08-24-16 01:29 PM
    and whats the point? android is android
    BlackBerry didn't make BlackBerry's new phone - CNET
    Cnet...seriously ?
    08-25-16 10:26 AM
    Just reference to whats obvious.
    08-25-16 02:02 PM
    Just reference to whats obvious.
    Hardened kernel? Root of trust? BlackBerry apps and services without a subscription?

Just stating the obvious differences. Things that CNET article just ignored.

To some, that may be enough.

I'll consider the so-called Argon if two conditions are met: if it has an RGB LED (I like different colors for different notification types) , and if AT&T carries it (just not in a position to buy such things outright unless it's under 100 bucks).

Posted via CB10
    PygmySurfer and bigjman like this.
    08-25-16 05:13 PM
    Vodafone has also an own device now, that is based on Idol S .... Is this the future of smartphones, that every device is copied & pasted ?! Hope, Blackberry concentrates more on it's own Mercury / Rome ...

Review on Vodafone Platinum / Idol S (german)
    Vodafone Smart Platinum 7: Praxis-Test des Provider-Smartphones - DIE WELT
    08-27-16 05:14 AM
    Isn't that the phone that's said to become the Argon with some BlackBerry tweaks?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-27-16 08:24 AM
    Are we still potentially looking for a October/ November launch date for this device?

I know that the PKB Android is suppose to launch "this fiscal year" so that's the end of February I believe.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-16 09:15 PM
    Are we still potentially looking for a October/ November launch date for this device?

I know that the PKB Android is suppose to launch "this fiscal year" so that's the end of February I believe.

Posted via CB10
    I remember reading October myself here on CB. Here's hoping it's not November
    08-29-16 09:36 PM
    I remember reading October myself here on CB. Here's hoping it's not November
    Yes announcement will be mid of October with availability end of October in the main markets and beginning of November the others.
    08-30-16 12:43 AM
    Yes announcement will be mid of October with availability end of October in the main markets and beginning of November the others.

Hopefully this holds up! The 1 2 3 punch of having 3 phones coming in a short period of time might be helpful to the bottom line.

In the most recent quarter the device division lost $21 million and it was "expected" that Q2 which ends today I believe, would have a significantly smaller loss. I don't know if internal research has shown a decent amount of demand for the new Android devices for them to be as confident as they are but it appears that the new deal with ACL for the first 2 phones appears to have gotten the cost of the devices to the point where profitability is a serious possibility.

Go BlackBerry Go!

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 01:51 AM
    I don't disagree but I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it here or in the canadian media. After all the RBC took a considerable amount of heat for outsourcing.
    On the flip side, what about build quality? BB previously prided themselves on it... again nobody here or elsewhere are too concerned about the TCL made device. I do understand that your average consumer likely doesn't know that detail.
    Well, I don't think the layoffs in Canada were mainly about phone assembly, and even if they were, still would have happened without any offshoring involved. My main concern with offshoring is about maintaining QC on all the materials and components. One single weak point makes the entire product a piece of garbage, no matter how much you pay for it. I trust the QC of established manufacturing centres and networks more than I do when it's obvious that the assembly of a product is being aggressively moved around to the cheapest bidder.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 12:46 AM
    I'd be more than happy with the 4S hardware, but if BB were to use the 4 Pro hardware, do you think they would put out a 6" phone? If so, I'm not buying it. 5.5" is the max I would ever go on a smartphone.
    I'm curious about this as well...expect the Argon to be my new phone if the pricing isn't too far off the Alcatel product.

Posted via CB10
    fanBBRY likes this.
    08-31-16 01:58 AM
    I'm curious about this as well...expect the Argon to be my new phone if the pricing isn't too far off the Alcatel product.

Posted via CB10
    I'd be fine with 5.5. 5.4' even ok.
    09-01-16 05:22 AM
    I need a successor to my 3 year old Q10. I'm looking forward to the argon but I have a feeling it is not going to be on verizon which will upend my plan to stick with blackberry.
    09-01-16 09:30 AM
    If the argon ends up being an alcatel 4s or pro with blackberry android sauce I think it'll be pretty decent.

My wife's dtek50 is noticeably faster and smoother than my PRIV for some reason.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    mithrazor likes this.
    09-10-16 04:04 PM
    I know this is off topic, but will Android get a dark theme. All I ever see is a white background. Love the dark theme on my Z30. It looks so much richer and is easier in the eyes.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 06:01 AM
    I know this is off topic, but will Android get a dark theme. All I ever see is a white background. Love the dark theme on my Z30. It looks so much richer and is easier in the eyes.

Posted via CB10
    Well some like white over dark. To each their own.

Posted via CB10
    vagos2006 likes this.
    09-11-16 07:45 PM
    Well some like white over dark. To each their own.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for not answering my question, but I wasn't bashing people for keeping a white background. I simply asked a question if Android would ever get an update for dark theme.

If someone likes white then keep white theme, if someone like black then they keep it black theme. It's nice to have options.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 09:04 AM
    Thank you for not answering my question, but I wasn't bashing people for keeping a white background. I simply asked a question if Android would ever get an update for dark theme.

If someone likes white then keep white theme, if someone like black then they keep it black theme. It's nice to have options.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. What a strange response to your question. Dark theme is a battery saver on amoled screens as well. The option should always be there.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 09:44 AM

Posted via CB10

I have a dark theme on my Z30 as well.
    09-12-16 12:57 PM
    Agreed. What a strange response to your question. Dark theme is a battery saver on amoled screens as well. The option should always be there.

Posted via CB10
    Yes dark theme saves on battery for AMOLED screens. I always wondered why Google hasn't brought on the dark theme yet. It so easy on the eyes as well. Can BlackBerry do a dark theme for the Priv and DTEK50?

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 10:00 PM
    I have a dark theme on my Z30 as well.
    Me too love it!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 10:00 PM
    Get another thread for that topic, don't hijack this one!!
    09-13-16 03:38 AM
    Get another thread for that topic, don't hijack this one!!
    Sorry bro didn't mean too.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 04:53 AM
    My wife's dtek50 is noticeably faster and smoother than my PRIV for some reason.
    A lot of people have said it seems. I believe it's because the GPU on the Priv has a hard time with the 2K resolution screen. It was a noted issue with the LG G4 which had the same screen resolution and processor combo as the Priv. So, because the DTEK50 has a lower resolution screen than the Priv, it's GPU isn't taxed as much, creating an experience that feels a lot faster.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 02:14 AM
50 12