I know that the DTEK60 isn't literally an Alcatel Idol 4s in it's exact form, but I was wondering if anyone knew if we were able to use the Idol 4s VR headset that comes with the Idol 4s?

It doesn't look like it's a simple Cardboard headset, but rather a headset and software built specifically for the phone. I imagine that the phone would slot in just fine, I guess my question is are we able to get the software for it?

Alcatel | Idol 4s - VR

I'll e-mail Alcatel and BlackBerry too and see what they say.
    11-07-16 10:32 AM
    There's nothing special about it device wise other than the apps Alcatel loads. That's likely the part that really matters. Problem would be getting those apps off a 'real' Idol 4S and onto your DTEK60.
    11-07-16 11:07 AM
    There's nothing special about it device wise other than the apps Alcatel loads. That's likely the part that really matters. Problem would be getting those apps off a 'real' Idol 4S and onto your DTEK60.
    Ah I see, makes sense. One of the issues with those Cardboard headsets you can get which fits all phones is that the phone can slide if not configured exactly right and obviously that can completely mess up the VR experience. I was particularly interested in this one as the phone fits in just right, I think it clips in.

A few Google searches later, and I think it just comes with a few Littlstar VR apps. I was particularly interested in getting the VR launcher on the phone though, and maybe the specific Alcatel VR store. I'll see what I can find.
    11-07-16 11:24 AM
    I'll see what I can find
    Let me know what you find, interested in it as well.
    11-07-16 12:05 PM
    If you're really good, you can make your eyes focus to see in 3d on your smartphone without the headset. I can do it. The technique is the same you would use to "see" the hidden objects in special pictures processed to appear 3d. Those books are everywhere.

The downside is, doing this gives me a headache after a while becuase it requires constant concentration.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-07-16 02:08 PM
    Bah, I can never see those magic eye deals. They're a hoax!

Posted via CB10 from my Phdesktop, the (square)  BlackBerry Passport
    11-07-16 06:58 PM
    Response from Alcatel Customer Service:

"Thank you for contacting us.

Regarding your request, we inform you that the DTEK60 will fit perfectly, but it is not fully compatible with the Blackberry software. Please note that you are not able to download and install the IDOL 4S software."

So in this case, it looks like the only good use we can get out of the headset is a perfect-fit Cardboard headset.

Does anyone know of any good VR launchers available? The only ones I've found on the Playstore are subpar to be honest.
    11-08-16 08:19 AM