I have and love my PRIV. I don't use the PKB anymore to be honest. But I miss my Passport keyboard. With the Mercury coming out soon, around the time my contract is out I am looking to move to either the Mercury or Dtek60.

So because the Mercury isn't out yet, some feedback from Dtek60 users that have had experience with the PRIV would be appreciated.
    02-11-17 10:36 PM
    Well, I also had a Priv and moved to the Dtek 60. I never really used the keyboard on the Priv...it just never felt right. I do believe the camera on the Priv is better that the dtek60, but everything else on the Dtek is superior.

Given that I'm looking at moving to the Mercury, and excited to use a true bb keyboard again wheich I haven't used since the passport
    02-11-17 10:41 PM
    The DTEK60 is a better device hands down in every category than the priv. Only thing you lose is that keyboard, and if you didn't use it, (like me), then you will not be disappointed with the 60.

The priv was my daily driver last year and I loved it. I took the time to research the 60 before I got one. Battery life is phenomenal, and performance wise there is absolutely no lag or stutter whatsoever. The priv improved substantially after its marshmallow update, however it was still plagued by inconsistent performance issues and heat issues. I've experienced none of the above with the 60.

Moral of the story, if you can do without a physical keyboard, then the DTEK60 is better in every way.
    02-12-17 12:33 AM
    I have and love my PRIV. I don't use the PKB anymore to be honest. But I miss my Passport keyboard. With the Mercury coming out soon, around the time my contract is out I am looking to move to either the Mercury or Dtek60. So because the Mercury isn't out yet, some feedback from Dtek60 users that have had experience with the PRIV would be appreciated.
    I would say, it seems like you want a physical keyboard but only if its great like the Passport. So maybe play with the 'Mercury' when it launches and if the keyboard doesn't amaze you then get the DTEK60. The 60 is definitely an improvement over the PRIV in performance but i still think the PRIV's screen and camera are better. If you enjoy taking pictures, the 'Mercury' is shaping up the be one of Blackberry Mobile's best efforts.

Hope the helps a little.
    02-12-17 05:22 AM
    Thanks for the replies thus far. I do miss the quality keyboard, but I have managed without it.

Productivity is important for me as I run three businesses and my phone is going non stop with emails, phone calls etc. Battery life is important. At the point with my Priv where I need to charge it at least once a day. Not the worst thing in the world, but when travelling can be an issue.

Hard to go solely on the specs for the Mercury though. Easier once it has been field tested.
    02-12-17 08:20 AM
    Only thing you lose is that keyboard, and if you didn't use it, (like me), then you will not be disappointed with the 60.
    You also lose wireless charging, RGB LED, OIS camera, unique form factor, Blackberry DNA.
    tonythecanuck likes this.
    02-13-17 01:23 AM
    You also lose wireless charging, RGB LED, OIS camera, unique form factor, Blackberry DNA.
    I agree with you about the "losses."

I have had the BlackBerry Torch 2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, the PRIV, and the Dtek60.

I can say the PROS of the Dtek60 are:

- fast processor
    - large memory storage
    - lots of Android apps
    - very good 21 MP rear camera
    - 21MP camera takes wider shots with natural colours.
    - very good 8 MP front camera
    - takes excellent pictures with either camera, especially with HDR turned on and "focus before shutter" turned on; colours not over-saturated like PRIV.
    - decent BlackBerry virtual keyboard
    - DTEK security
    - big bright 5.5" display
    - doesn't heat up as much as PRIV
    - great solid metal and glass build
    - lighter and thinner than PRIV
    - BlackBerry HUB
    - great price for high quality
    - Good reception / calling
    - Good speakers
    - headphone port at top of phone
    - useful fingerprint scanner to unlock both phone and individual apps
    - useful convenience side button
    - quick charging with BlackBerry rapid recharger.
    - great BlackBerry accessories available for Dtek60 (cases, pocket, holster, chargers, etc.) except no dock / charging stand.

CONS of the Dtek60 :

- I miss the original OS7 and OS10 BlackBerry keyboard for accuracy in multiple languages
    - I miss original BlackBerry OS10 clock and alarms.
    - I miss the Z30 speakers
    - no FM tuner
    - no Paratek antenna
    - No variable colour message LED
    - PRIV and Passport SE had OIS on their rear cameras
    - PRIV, Passport SE, Z30, and Torch had unique BlackBerry design/build "DNA."
    - Complete BlackBerry accessories, including charging dock, available for PRIV, Passport SE, and Torch.

These are my thoughts.
    Last edited by tonythecanuck; 02-13-17 at 10:01 AM.
    02-13-17 08:43 AM
    Well there's more pros then cons, I personally used all those phones ,and I simply like the Dtek60 much much better , will see what the Mercury has in store for us
    02-13-17 09:26 AM
    Well there's more pros then cons, I personally used all those phones ,and I simply like the Dtek60 much much better , will see what the Mercury has in store for us
    I agree with you!

I am also waiting to see what the "Mercury" will be like!
    02-13-17 09:57 AM
    The DTEK60 is a better device hands down in every category than the priv. Only thing you lose is that keyboard, and if you didn't use it, (like me), then you will not be disappointed with the 60.

The priv was my daily driver last year and I loved it. I took the time to research the 60 before I got one. Battery life is phenomenal, and performance wise there is absolutely no lag or stutter whatsoever. The priv improved substantially after its marshmallow update, however it was still plagued by inconsistent performance issues and heat issues. I've experienced none of the above with the 60.

Moral of the story, if you can do without a physical keyboard, then the DTEK60 is better in every way.
    Can you please expand about the battery on the DTEK60?
    02-20-17 11:34 AM
    I agree with you about the "losses."

I have had the BlackBerry Torch 2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, the PRIV, and the Dtek60.

I can say the PROS of the Dtek60 are:

- fast processor
    - large memory storage
    - lots of Android apps
    - very good 21 MP rear camera
    - 21MP camera takes wider shots with natural colours.
    - very good 8 MP front camera
    - takes excellent pictures with either camera, especially with HDR turned on and "focus before shutter" turned on; colours not over-saturated like PRIV.
    - decent BlackBerry virtual keyboard
    - DTEK security
    - big bright 5.5" display
    - doesn't heat up as much as PRIV
    - great solid metal and glass build
    - lighter and thinner than PRIV
    - BlackBerry HUB
    - great price for high quality
    - Good reception / calling
    - Good speakers
    - headphone port at top of phone
    - useful fingerprint scanner to unlock both phone and individual apps
    - useful convenience side button
    - quick charging with BlackBerry rapid recharger.
    - great BlackBerry accessories available for Dtek60 (cases, pocket, holster, chargers, etc.) except no dock / charging stand.

CONS of the Dtek60 :

- I miss the original OS7 and OS10 BlackBerry keyboard for accuracy in multiple languages
    - I miss original BlackBerry OS10 clock and alarms.
    - I miss the Z30 speakers
    - no FM tuner
    - no Paratek antenna
    - No variable colour message LED
    - PRIV and Passport SE had OIS on their rear cameras
    - PRIV, Passport SE, Z30, and Torch had unique BlackBerry design/build "DNA."
    - Complete BlackBerry accessories, including charging dock, available for PRIV, Passport SE, and Torch.

These are my thoughts.
    You seem to be posting this on all the threats. But there is no reference to the battery life in either of your categories.
    02-20-17 11:35 AM
    From my experience with both the DTEK60 and the Priv..

The Priv had inconsistent battery life for me, and it seemed to be directly correlated to its performance issues. At times, for absolutely no reason throughout the day, my Priv would heat up substantially, and begin to slow to a painful speed. It was during these moments throughout the day that I would lose a lot of battery life as well.

My DTEK60 has had a very slow and consistent drain of the battery throughout my day. I can get through a day no problem, and I know if I haven't touched it for an hour for example, it isn't going to be 10% lower than the last time I touched it. There also is no heat issues with the DTEK60 whatsoever.

One last thing to note is the charger. The DTEK60 comes with a fast charging usb c cable, and it does charge the device very quickly. I had to buy a separate quickcharge 2.0 cable for my priv because the one that came with it was that standard micro-usb cable we saw with the passport and classic. It charged the Priv very, VERY slow. Just note the one supplied with the DTEK60 works excellent. I'm assuming it is quickcharge 3.0, but don't quote me on that I'm not sure. Nonetheless it works great.
    02-20-17 11:48 AM
    Just note the one supplied with the DTEK60 works excellent. I'm assuming it is quickcharge 3.0, but don't quote me on that I'm not sure. Nonetheless it works great.
    From all the research I've been doing, the DTEK60 has QC3 charging, whereas the Priv is QC2 (albeit with a wireless option).

I'm coming from a Z30 and was about ready to decide on the DTEK60 until I started reading reviews about the glass screen being super-susceptible to scratches, and both the front and rear being susceptible to breakage. I've had Z10, Q10 and my wife has a Q5 and they've all been really solid phones. I can live without the RGB LED and the wireless charging, but I'm not willing to plunk down $500 on a phone that won't hold up to use without scratching (or, worse, breaking). And the posts also seem to indicate it's hard to find tempered glass screen protectors that wrap around (odd--the Priv has that) or good cases.

So what's the consensus--are these isolated complaints, or an indication that too many corners were cut with the DTEK60? Maybe the Priv at half the price is the way to go?
    02-20-17 02:38 PM
    From all the research I've been doing, the DTEK60 has QC3 charging, whereas the Priv is QC2 (albeit with a wireless option).

I'm coming from a Z30 and was about ready to decide on the DTEK60 until I started reading reviews about the glass screen being super-susceptible to scratches, and both the front and rear being susceptible to breakage. I've had Z10, Q10 and my wife has a Q5 and they've all been really solid phones. I can live without the RGB LED and the wireless charging, but I'm not willing to plunk down $500 on a phone that won't hold up to use without scratching (or, worse, breaking). And the posts also seem to indicate it's hard to find tempered glass screen protectors that wrap around (odd--the Priv has that) or good cases.

So what's the consensus--are these isolated complaints, or an indication that too many corners were cut with the DTEK60? Maybe the Priv at half the price is the way to go?
    Yes the 60 definitely supports QC 3.0 I just wasn't sure if the supplied charger was a QC. (The privs was not).

In terms of scratching, the 60 is the first device I've used in years without a screen protector. I decided i was going to just enjoy the display in all its glory as screen protectors tend to take away from that experience. My 60 has very minor scratches that are not noticable unless in certain lightning situations.

As for durability, the 60 is well built. However, it has all glass front and back, we all know that. Glass is very prone to shattering. This device is slippery to hold and should be used with a case, unlike the priv. I've been using the clear plastic case that came with it and it's great. It's thin, provides basic protection for shattering, and it adds a bit of grip.

In terms of variety of cases, I would agree, there aren't many at all. The 60 was not carried by any carriers at all, so very few case manufacturers know it exists. The ones that do can't really be bothered to make a case for a niche group of users. The priv doesn't have much left out there, either.

In conclusion, I think the DTEK60 is very well worth its price tag. The priv is now half the price, yes, but let's not forget it launched at a price much higher than the DTEK60. What you're getting with the DTEK60 for the price is still great value, and from my experience it's still better than the priv in every which way, other than let's say durability, as I would have to agree it lacks. Other than that I can't think of another reason to buy a priv, unless you really need that keyboard. But most of those people can wait a week for the mercury !
    02-20-17 03:04 PM
    The PKB on the PRIV is pretty much useless and very wobbly. The Priv is also a real toaster . I used it for maybe 6 months until I discovered the DTEK 60. Still miss the Passport but one can do a lot more with Android apps. No way around them for banking, booking flights and hotels, unfortunately. But yes BB10 is a superior interface.
    02-21-17 02:13 AM
    The PKB on the PRIV is pretty much useless and very wobbly. The Priv is also a real toaster . I used it for maybe 6 months until I discovered the DTEK 60. Still miss the Passport but one can do a lot more with Android apps. No way around them for banking, booking flights and hotels, unfortunately. But yes BB10 is a superior interface.
    I love the DTEK60, but I agree that BlackBerry OS10 was superior to Android.
    02-21-17 09:32 AM

The DTEK60 has a great professional build : metal and glass. I agree the glass risks breakage, and so I always carry my Dtek60 in a case (Incipio). However, any phone can break if dropped, and I always carries my other BlackBerry's in a case anyway.
    02-21-17 09:34 AM
    If you want the QT Build of the BlackBerry of old, the PRIV is it (I never use the pkb).. Hands down for ME. The Dtek60 is one bad *** phone when it comes to the 820 and Gpu, Display. It's a very fast phone, and I love most of what the phone has to offer. If I used it as a home device and not a mobile device it would be great..but it is a Cell phone with a few issues as of late that are pushing me to jump ship after 12 years with BB.
    02-21-17 06:49 PM
    If you want the QT Build of the BlackBerry of old, the PRIV is it (I never use the pkb).. Hands down for ME. The Dtek60 is one bad *** phone when it comes to the 820 and Gpu, Display. It's a very fast phone, and I love most of what the phone has to offer. If I used it as a home device and not a mobile device it would be great..but it is a Cell phone with a few issues as of late that are pushing me to jump ship after 12 years with BB.
    Just so you know, AT&T is like that with any BYOD situation. If they don't sell it to you they withhold some goodies. It's not just the DTEK60....if you used a one+, for example, same issue. You have a right to be upset and feel cheated. But it's not BlackBerry that did the cheating.
    02-21-17 10:51 PM
    From my experience with both the DTEK60 and the Priv..

The Priv had inconsistent battery life for me, and it seemed to be directly correlated to its performance issues. At times, for absolutely no reason throughout the day, my Priv would heat up substantially, and begin to slow to a painful speed. It was during these moments throughout the day that I would lose a lot of battery life as well.

My DTEK60 has had a very slow and consistent drain of the battery throughout my day. I can get through a day no problem, and I know if I haven't touched it for an hour for example, it isn't going to be 10% lower than the last time I touched it. There also is no heat issues with the DTEK60 whatsoever.

One last thing to note is the charger. The DTEK60 comes with a fast charging usb c cable, and it does charge the device very quickly. I had to buy a separate quickcharge 2.0 cable for my priv because the one that came with it was that standard micro-usb cable we saw with the passport and classic. It charged the Priv very, VERY slow. Just note the one supplied with the DTEK60 works excellent. I'm assuming it is quickcharge 3.0, but don't quote me on that I'm not sure. Nonetheless it works great.
    Thank you so very much for the detailed information. My PRIV barely gets me through a single day - and that is after a lot of the 'balance-act' between the data, stand by, and what not.

And then, was the heating problem. The phone was hot more than it was manageable. I have been using BlackBerry for a while now. And the heat on this reminded me of the BlackBerry Z10. Just frustrating after a point.

By May, I would like to upgrade to the DTEK60 because I do not need the physical keyboard anymore. Hence, I was hoping that the battery and the heating is all better.
    02-21-17 11:12 PM
    Just so you know, AT&T is like that with any BYOD situation. If they don't sell it to you they withhold some goodies. It's not just the DTEK60....if you used a one+, for example, same issue. You have a right to be upset and feel cheated. But it's not BlackBerry that did the cheating.
    Who said anything about "cheating"?
    02-21-17 11:23 PM
    Sorry, but your info is very wrong. I bought a BlackBerry PRIV from BlackBerry, bought another one from B&H Photo, neither were bought from att, Both had and still do have HD Voice.
    02-21-17 11:52 PM
    Sorry, but your info is very wrong. I bought a BlackBerry PRIV from BlackBerry, bought another one from B&H Photo, neither were bought from att, Both had and still do have HD Voice.
    I am wrong. What I should have said is if you use a device they don't sell you are likely **** out of luck.
    Last edited by Centerman66; 02-22-17 at 12:54 AM.
    02-22-17 12:05 AM
    Thank you so very much for the detailed information. My PRIV barely gets me through a single day - and that is after a lot of the 'balance-act' between the data, stand by, and what not.

And then, was the heating problem. The phone was hot more than it was manageable. I have been using BlackBerry for a while now. And the heat on this reminded me of the BlackBerry Z10. Just frustrating after a point.

By May, I would like to upgrade to the DTEK60 because I do not need the physical keyboard anymore. Hence, I was hoping that the battery and the heating is all better.

Man, I hear you. I felt the same way. Priv doesn't hold a candle to the 60..That is why I bought two Dtek60's. It's not about the Priv or the 60... it's BlackBerry in general these days IMO. I still have five Sims in five BlackBerry devices. I guess I expected a better device out of the Dtek60's than I have experienced. TCL is not BlackBerry as Blaze has said many time on this forum. So please don't get me wrong, I love BB , and really want to stay, it is just every day, week, month I and others Discover more short falls with this device. Sorry to ****** but man, someone has to say something versus carrying the water for BlackBerry all the time.
    02-22-17 12:14 AM
    I am wrong. What I should have said is of you use a device they don't sell you are likely **** out of luck.
    I do, two Privs, both not bought or branded from them. Sorry.
    02-22-17 12:18 AM
29 12