Hi,
    Is there someone with the Dteck50 who is coming from the Z30?
    I'm a BB user since 2009 and went through Pearl, Curve, Bold, Storm (haha), Z10, Q10, and now Z30.. I want to stay with BB mainly for the hub and. On the other side, I feel that some apps are missing. Even though I have the Cobalt setup installed and can get some apps on Google Play.. It is just not the real deal and you feel it when you Android runtime..

So I kind of made my mind and my next phone will be Android. Ouch..

I wonder if I would be happy with the Dteck50. The Priv is not for me.. too big
    Is there someone who went from Z30 to Dteck50?
    08-15-16 01:04 PM
    Both the PRIV and the DTEK50 are the same height.... the DTEK50 is a little narrower and much lighter.

I would think that overall most current Z30 users would see the DTEK50 as a nice upgrade.
    08-15-16 01:31 PM
    Since this is more subjective than a fact based question I converted it to a non question. I also moved it to the DTek 50 section (with redirect for more visibility!). I reached out to a couple friends I know whom I believe fit the description.

I had a Z30 and a BB Priv and I thought the Priv was FAR superior. HOWEVER I did prefer how BB10 handles the hub over how Android handles the hub, BUT I got used to it.
    fogscreen and BLu like this.
    08-15-16 01:51 PM
    While I didn't go from Z30 to DTEK50, I do have both and agree with Dunt Dunt Dunt. Most Z30 users would be fine on a DTEK50. It's lighter and narrower but overall, it's similar.
    pkcable, Avenzuno and fogscreen like this.
    08-15-16 01:52 PM
    I went from ios and android to bb10 and I think people mainly take the other phones are because of apps you really don't need it. There is a app Gab that's true but what do you forinstance ned all them apps for when you have the hub like you say and the fluitness of bb10 I would say stay with the z30 maybe get a passport or just wait and se if they are pushing out a new bb10 phone next year even tho they don't say they have something on the drawing board then they do

Posted via CB10
    redantz likes this.
    08-15-16 03:01 PM
    While I didn't go from Z30 to DTEK50, I do have both and agree with Dunt Dunt Dunt. Most Z30 users would be fine on a DTEK50. It's lighter and narrower but overall, it's similar.
    What was lighter and narrower - the Z30?

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    08-15-16 03:09 PM
    I came direct from Z30 to DTEK, and so far I'm enjoying it. I like the screen and size of the phone, although it takes a bit used to typing with such a thin phone.

Things I like about the DTEK:
    -android allows you to change the look of the home screen like crazy. I'm still tinkering.
    -apps are plentiful, of course. If you don't like how something works (like a music player), chances are there are 40 other apps that will be better for you
    -the apps seem more fluid, my z30 was starting to lag ever so slightly and maybe get "hung up" on certain apps. So far with the DTEK things have been super snappy.
    -convenience key. So convenient and I love getting rid of another icon off my home screen. I set my convenience key to be the phone, so I could actually take the phone icon off the home screen. BBOS was able to "hide" icons, but we couldn't do that in BB10.
    -google now. I know this is like the big enemy, but it's actually pretty cool.

Things I miss from my Z30:
    -BB10, of course. So fluid. So productive. So hub. The Android hub is good, but just not as good and seamless like BB10's. I really miss gestures too.
    -glass weave back. It's like heaven on my fingertips
    -less app selection, if this makes sense. I don't actually need to look at a multitude of different calculators, clocks, calendars, browsers, etc. It's sometimes nice to have good working apps right out of the box that was designed to work with that specific device. It's nice to have options I guess, but it does sometimes get overwhelming
    -the battery. Z30 without a doubt wins in this category.
    -call quality. This is at the bottom of the list because I don't talk on the phone much, but when I do, it is noticeable. I wouldn't say the dtek is bad, because it really isn't, but I would say that the z30 call quality was much much better.

All in all, I have been happy with the move. It seemed natural because of the keyboard and BlackBerry apps, and the learning curve has been minimal. For me, it made the most sense to go for the dtek because the priv was too expensive for me and I reallyn didn't like the pkb. It was too recessed under that goofy looking bottom speaker.

I hope this helps
    AYC2112, bbdcm70, pkcable and 4 others like this.
    08-15-16 03:31 PM
    if I could get maps to work all the time I would have stayed with the Z30
    08-15-16 04:07 PM
    I went from ios and android to bb10 and I think people mainly take the other phones are because of apps you really don't need it. There is a app Gab that's true but what do you forinstance ned all them apps for when you have the hub like you say and the fluitness of bb10 I would say stay with the z30 maybe get a passport or just wait and se if they are pushing out a new bb10 phone next year even tho they don't say they have something on the drawing board then they do

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you in terms that I agree most apps are useless. The hub is awesome yes. But let's not fool ourselves, it can't do everything ! It's just that there is some apps I would use and they are simply unusable on bb10 with the android apks. For instance I manage our Facebook page at my job and just can't do it with my phone productively. Just one example...

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 04:16 PM
    Hi,
    Is there someone with the Dteck50 who is coming from the Z30?
    I'm a BB user since 2009 and went through Pearl, Curve, Bold, Storm (haha), Z10, Q10, and now Z30.. I want to stay with BB mainly for the hub and. On the other side, I feel that some apps are missing. Even though I have the Cobalt setup installed and can get some apps on Google Play.. It is just not the real deal and you feel it when you Android runtime..

So I kind of made my mind and my next phone will be Android. Ouch..

I wonder if I would be happy with the Dteck50. The Priv is not for me.. too big
    Is there someone who went from Z30 to Dteck50?
    08-15-16 05:50 PM
    I moved from Z30 to Dtek50. This is my experience so far (3 days) as I am acclimation to Android. I miss my Z30. The main reason why I changed was because I was getting tired of messing with limited options in apps.

Battery life on the Dtek50 is terrible. Vibrate is very weak. Android OS complicated.

I hope BlackBerry will come up with a device that runs on BlackBerry OS and will run Android apps smoothly.
    fogscreen and adonesc like this.
    08-15-16 06:08 PM
    BeMaps Pro covered my BB10 with Google maps. I had three other apps but it was by far the best. I did upgrade from Z30 to DTEK50, but the Passport is my main device. All media and video, Rio apps... work better than the sideloaded Z30. No stutter, still the same old crashes one gets on all os's.

I don't use it for calls, still using the PP. But I do type on it and the keyboard is very BlackBerry. I miss all the gestures and definitely undoing the swipe up.

Desperately miss peaking into the Hub!!!!!!!!!

But I do have multiple ways to get there and am relearning. I suspect my PP replacement will be Android, so get used to it is my view.

It is responsive when switching apps. Battery life for me is always trouble because I use multiple active sync acounts. Full use kills any battery, Passport, Z30 and Dtek50, for me. I always need to recharge at some point so I like the 12600 battery they included and I use it for both my passport and Dtek50.

I would much prefer BB10 by far but it will never be what I need it to be without other apps so had to move on. But there are many BB10 features and settings I miss. Maybe some will come at some point.

16 GB is limiting, plan to use an SD internally, non removable, or limit apps installed and store all photos, vids etc on SD.

Price was right though as I'm not sure how much better higher cpu, 5.5" higher res screen, 4 gb ram and 32 GB of device storage is worth. For a second device on my part it works just fine as "my tablet" as I share data with my phone using a tablet Sim on Telus, $15/mo.

Posted from my trusty Passport and soon via a new DTEK50
    08-15-16 07:14 PM
    Subjective, as noted before.
    Let's keep it simple: I'd say that the move from a high (Z30) to a mid range device (DTEK50) is offset by the novelty and the app gap vanishing.
    DTEK50 is lighter by 30% (easy rounding), thinner by a few millimeters and these might be the more noticeable physical points. I never thought it could be a decision point for me but I must admit the weight alone (I'm in vacation, no jacket, more likely Tshirt and shorts) makes it win over my ready to go Priv for me current usage. haha, IRL tests have sometimes unpredictable consequences
    You will probably miss BB10 for a while and the nuke-like battery life of the Z30 but again, don't forget it's a mid-range device, set your expectations accordingly, accept a reasonable learning curve and you shouldn't be disappointed.

But I wrote 'short', sorry : yes, it's a natural change IMHO.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    damien kupuku, pkcable and Jrox74 like this.
    08-15-16 07:20 PM
    Thank you all for your inputs. I'll hang to my Z30 for a little while. I think the Dteck30 could be a good phone for my use if it has a good battery life.
    08-15-16 08:07 PM
    I really like the lightweight feel by far compared to the Z30.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for BlackBerry DTEK50 Android - careful not to always swipe up and no peaky!
    fogscreen likes this.
    08-15-16 08:19 PM
    Did Google Maps not always work or BlackBerry Maps didn't always work. I haven't had problems with either on BB10. Only you can't save recent searches on BB10 with Google Maps.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 08:24 PM
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 08-15-16 at 09:52 PM.
    08-15-16 09:02 PM
    The Z30 or "Aristo" was a top line device with (when it was released) BB's best GPU and CPU, biggest battery, most features. The next step from the Z30 would currently be the Priv. You could buy a DTEK50 but it's definitely lower spec than the Priv, especially battery size. The DTEK50 is in BB's lower spec band, the Priv in the higher spec band. The DTEK is not a newer version of the Priv :-)
    08-16-16 06:23 AM
    The Z30 or "Aristo" was a top line device with (when it was released) BB's best GPU and CPU, biggest battery, most features. The next step from the Z30 would currently be the Priv. You could buy a DTEK50 but it's definitely lower spec than the Priv, especially battery size. The DTEK50 is in BB's lower spec band, the Priv in the higher spec band. The DTEK is not a newer version of the Priv :-)
    Yes I figured the Deteck50 is mid spec.. it's just that I wondered where a 2016 mid spec device would place itself compare to a 2013or 2014 top of the line phone.. I thought it would be at least the same... but it seems that the battery must be linked to a charger quote often.. deal breaker for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 06:51 AM
    Just for the record it's DTEK 50. The name is based on the DTEK security software that comes preloaded/baked in to BlackBerry Android devices. This software helps you to secure your device, and reports to you what if anything is NOT secure on your device.

While initially I was not in favor of the name it HAS grown on me!
    08-16-16 12:11 PM
    Haven't heard that name Aristo in a long time - ah the memories...

08-16-16 12:51 PM
    What was lighter and narrower - the Z30?

The dtek50 is lighter and narrower than the z30
    08-16-16 12:55 PM
    I moved from Z30 to a DTEK 50 - day 2 for me. What I like:
    1) Weight - it is much lighter than the Z30
    2) Apps that sadly I need as an admin of a club - Facebook and WhatsApp
    3) Home screen is customizable - remember themes on the BBOS?
    4) BB apps such as hub, Password Keeper (that was non-negotiable for me.), BB keyboard etc. The hub is not as fluid as on the BB10 but it is workable and a lot better than the alternative.

What I dislike:

a) Too many apps in the Play Store - I just want a calculator the same as BB10 and d o not want to spend 3 hours hunting through the Play Store trying to find one. It would be nice if BlackBerry could bring their Calculator and clock over. I will need a stiff drink before even attempting to find a clock app I like in the Play Store!
    b) Battery life is not the best, about half what I was getting on my Z30. Find I have to charge in the afternoon.
    c) Android is very messy and complex, but that could just be because I do not know the OS yet. Very steep learning curve for me.

If battery life is a deal breaker for you then I would hold off on the DTEK, my Z30 was getting old and the battery was not lasting as long as it used to so for me it was not a huge deal.

Cheers.
    fogscreen likes this.
    08-16-16 12:58 PM
    Well, I've moved from Z30 via Wileyfox Swift (nice phone, great screen) to familiarise myself and wife to Android. What was initially annoying was the number of popup ads especially video, which hopefully won't be as bad on DTEK50 which I have purchased for us both. Wife is 3 days into using her '50 and battery life goes down to under 20℅ after 6.00 pm. Phone been on 12 hours. I'm wondering if those annoying popup videos are playing in the background while browsing News channels and Twitter. It was ok at weekend but used minimally. Thoughts anyone?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-16-16 02:24 PM
    I used to own z30 and both phones are about same size. priv is heavier due to keyboard.
    08-16-16 03:43 PM
38 12