Non disclosure agreement
    06-15-17 06:22 AM
    Sorry, I have to be more precise. What logic is there for Blackberry to keep it quiet whether DTEK/Priv will get N.

Can't be related to the couple of units still hanging around in a warehouse.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-15-17 11:02 AM
    Sorry, I have to be more precise. What logic is there for Blackberry to keep it quiet whether DTEK/Priv will get N.

Can't be related to the couple of units still hanging around in a warehouse.

Posted via CB10
    What logic is there in revealing you have no intention of releasing it?
    06-15-17 11:31 AM
    People ask BlackBerry; BlackBerry answers; imo is the normal way to communicate. Not answering is just odd.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 02:48 PM
    People ask BlackBerry; BlackBerry answers; imo is the normal way to communicate. Not answering is just odd.

Posted via CB10
    You must think about it from a shareholder standpoint.

For the sake of argument, if, in fact, they have already decided NOT to release N, what is the business case behind making a press release about it? Wouldn't it probably hurt more than help?
    06-15-17 03:00 PM
    Does it even matter? I finally got my hands on a working KeyOne demo unit running Nougat, and at first I couldn't even tell that it was an upgraded OS...and by the way, while the design of the KeyOne looks good in pictures, actually holding the device in hand, the first impression was of a cheap looking, cheaply made and assembled device. It might have the BlackBerry logo on the back but it surely isn't a BlackBerry device...

I prefer my redesigned, repurposed, recycled Alcatel Idol 4...aka the DTEK50...
    06-15-17 08:47 PM
    Staying silent is not helping BB's credability here. Their reputation is poor at the moment anyway, and people are getting jittery as to where this is going.
    If BB are deserting Dteks already, after less than a year, what is to say that they wil not do the same to Keyone?? BB's past is catching up with them, and owners have a right to know where BB stands regarding support for it's products. a 'life' of 12 months or so for Dtek's is not going to convince others to buy Keyone, that's for sure.
    Regarding 'being from a different manufacturer' the phones are still 'Blackberry' labelled, and as such, mud sticks..BB need to clarify the situation, for EVERYBODY's sake. both existing users, and prospective new one's, otherwise the confusion will not make anything better, just worse, as people speculate!!
    BB are a toxic firm to many at the present, and they will not buy without assurances that they will not be 'dumped' inside a year, as Dtek owners have been!!
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-16-17 03:08 AM
    Staying silent is not helping BB's credability here. Their reputation is poor at the moment anyway, and people are getting jittery as to where this is going.
    If BB are deserting Dteks already, after less than a year, what is to say that they wil not do the same to Keyone?? BB's past is catching up with them, and owners have a right to know where BB stands regarding support for it's products. a 'life' of 12 months or so for Dtek's is not going to convince others to buy Keyone, that's for sure.
    Regarding 'being from a different manufacturer' the phones are still 'Blackberry' labelled, and as such, mud sticks..BB need to clarify the situation, for EVERYBODY's sake. both existing users, and prospective new one's, otherwise the confusion will not make anything better, just worse, as people speculate!!
    BB are a toxic firm to many at the present, and they will not buy without assurances that they will not be 'dumped' inside a year, as Dtek owners have been!!
    What credibility? BlackBerry Original exited the hardware business. The vast majority of the human population thought BlackBerry Original left the hardware business years ago. The overlap between PRIV/DTEK users and BlackBerry Original Enterprise users is not that much compared to Enterprise customers using BBOS, BB10, Android And IOS, IE. They're not offending many probable decision maker clients.

TCL/BBMobile knew this when they licensed BlackBerry name. They know how many PRIV/DTEK hardware devices were manufactured and sold. They've run the numbers and will decide whether to update those devices to Nougat is worth it or not. If enough BlackBerry diehards buy the KEYone with Nougat, TCL/BBMobile can decide it would be more beneficial to rollout a new flagship VKB slab device with better specs than DTEK.
    06-16-17 07:11 AM
    You must think about it from a shareholder standpoint.

For the sake of argument, if, in fact, they have already decided NOT to release N, what is the business case behind making a press release about it? Wouldn't it probably hurt more than help?
    Shareholder standpoint deciding on business direction, so happy that concept is not operational in the Rheinland. Different subject though.

Anyway. As a shareholder I would me more than happy to have confirmed they are not wasting money on updates that bring no extra income to the company.

So dont see the hurt actually. What stops them from just telling they are not bringing the update. Surely it would make the shareholders happy (unless he has a DTEK/Priv) .

Posted via CB10
    06-16-17 10:55 AM
    Shareholder standpoint deciding on business direction, so happy that concept is not operational in the Rheinland. Different subject though.

Anyway. As a shareholder I would me more than happy to have confirmed they are not wasting money on updates that bring no extra income to the company.

So dont see the hurt actually. What stops them from just telling they are not bringing the update. Surely it would make the shareholders happy (unless he has a DTEK/Priv) .

Posted via CB10
    There is NO upside. All it could do is potentially upset users of the brand who may decide against the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    werkregen likes this.
    06-16-17 11:06 AM
    There is NO upside. All it could do is potentially upset users of the brand who may decide against the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    It's always about the money. But it makes for more loss of customers who wait rather jump on the keyone. But blackberry has never cared about consumers anyway. Of course they have ones that will ignore all and buy any and everything they make and several of them lol.
    06-16-17 11:22 AM
    Virtually all other manufacturers say what devices are getting and which are not getting the new android OS - not sure why blackberry can't just say it and let people move on.

Unless you refer to the fact the DTEK50 and 60 are not even a year old and are catered to "enterprise" (thus security is paramount - their words, not mine), and both launched either at the same time or after nougat was already available - yea I can see why confirming they won't be updating these ones would look bad.

But the Priv - it's old enough to just say "hey, we won't update this one".

But I know it's irrelevant at this point as you're right - when Blackberry left hardware they left it, including their software priorities for said hardware.
    Uzi likes this.
    06-16-17 12:17 PM
    Wasn't it said in multiple other posts we should remain aware TCL has nothing to do with BBoriginal?

So upsetting potential KEY1 buyers is irrelevant. Not providing info upsets those potential buyers just as wel, however as said upsetting K1 buyers is irrelevant anyway.

Still no reason seen why BlackBerry could not behave as a good responsible company providing clarity to its shareholders (and clients maybe, oh no, don't mention the clients) and answer they yes/no question.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-17 06:42 AM
    It seems to in the general android world. All devices get 1 major update. If it launches with 5, it gets 6 update. If it launches with 6, it gets 7. Priv launched with 5 and got 6. Dtek50 /60 launched with 6.... It should get 7. But from what I'm being told 7 isn't even a Beta option internally..... So I doubt it will come.
    06-17-17 07:39 AM
    It seems to in the general android world. All devices get 1 major update. If it launches with 5, it gets 6 update. If it launches with 6, it gets 7. Priv launched with 5 and got 6. Dtek50 /60 launched with 6.... It should get 7. But from what I'm being told 7 isn't even a Beta option internally..... So I doubt it will come.
    I remember it soooo clearly man.

Last year, right after BlackBerry exited hardware by announcement people were cautious about buying their new dtek50 and dtek60.

And some folks on here persuaded concerned buyers that nougat for sure would be coming because these were enterprise and would continue getting support software side...SOFTWARE side.

Now the tune being sung is "meh, they have nothing to do with hardware anymore so too bad for y'all" ...that's precisely what people were concerned about last summer.

Even when the dtek50 started getting behind on their patches the excuse being propagated here by some was that BlackBerry must be working on nougat....

I knew back then it likely had nothing to do with nougat and more with them giving no priority to their phones, software included.

Thus why they struggle to keep up with updates now that they have like 4 devices (omg that's a lot /s).

But I feel sorry for the people who got misled into thinking they'd be guaranteed nougat because of the "enterprise" myth (all in good fun don't shoot me), and also because the 60 launched a few months after nougat was available already...
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-17-17 01:09 PM
    Hilarious that some will defend BlackBerry not updating the 1000$ priv and their other devices.
    Even more funny that some say "well BlackBerry isn't in the hardware business anymore". But guess what, BlackBerry is the one making the God damn software in both the Aurora and the keyone. Stop trying to make it sound like the licensees just took the brand name from BlackBerry. They took the name and the entire software package. BlackBerry is still developing android software.

Anyway when people see that BlackBerry no longer supports it's users there won't be many people buying a keyone. Whatever, BlackBerry dropped the ball and lots of users will think twice about buying a BlackBerry again.
    06-17-17 01:32 PM
    Hilarious that some will defend BlackBerry not updating the 1000$ priv and their other devices.
    Even more funny that some say "well BlackBerry isn't in the hardware business anymore". But guess what, BlackBerry is the one making the God damn software in both the Aurora and the keyone. Stop trying to make it sound like the licensees just took the brand name from BlackBerry. They took the name and the entire software package. BlackBerry is still developing android software.

Anyway when people see that BlackBerry no longer supports it's users there won't be many people buying a keyone. Whatever, BlackBerry dropped the ball and lots of users will think twice about buying a BlackBerry again.
    Naw. Some will die first lol.
    06-17-17 01:56 PM
    Naw. Some will die first lol.
    LMAO! Good point. A few here would keep buying BlackBerry even if they started downgrading their software.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-17-17 01:58 PM
    Hilarious that some will defend BlackBerry not updating the 1000$ priv.
    The Priv continues to receive monthly updates AND got a major OS upgrade.
    06-17-17 02:16 PM
    But guess what, BlackBerry is the one making the God damn software in both the Aurora and the keyone.
    Yes, BlackBerry now has three corporate clients for BlackBerry Android software.
    06-17-17 02:18 PM
    Strange that they can supply 2 'new' phones (Keyone and Aurora ) with Nougat, yet not even supply the existing products still in warranty with the upgrade.
    REAL manufacturers offer at least ONE OS upgrade during the phones lifetime,
    BB can't even manage to get their 'securest android' updates out, leave alone an OS upgrade to phones 10 months old!!.
    Basically, the Dteks are walking dead, because BBm will concentrate on Keyone and Aurora, rather than Priv & Dtek.
    06-18-17 09:45 AM
    Strange that they can supply 2 'new' phones (Keyone and Aurora ) with Nougat, yet not even supply the existing products still in warranty with the upgrade.
    REAL manufacturers offer at least ONE OS upgrade during the phones lifetime,
    BB can't even manage to get their 'securest android' updates out, leave alone an OS upgrade to phones 10 months old!!.
    Basically, the Dteks are walking dead, because BBm will concentrate on Keyone and Aurora, rather than Priv & Dtek.
    Well Aurora is by an Indonesian licensee, not BBMo (ie. TCL).

Well, it has been said BlackBerry has nothing to gain since they're out of the hardware game.

My only contention to this is they already officially announced this before the dtek60 launched. But the same people who now say, BlackBerry is out of the game, no guarantees - back then they were saying:

The dtek's are aimed at enterprise customers...so they need to be secure and:

Hardened nougat will be as secure as bb10, thus don't see why they wouldn't bring this to the dtek's...

It takes 6months to harden nougat, so let's wait...

They "know" employees were playing around with nougat...

Basically the message by some on here was that it would probably be coming, and they saw no reason for it not to come for the dtek's, although there was the caveat of nothing is for certain.

Now it's basically - wait and see, if it doesn't come too bad, BlackBerry has nothing to gain from it, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by evodevo69; 06-18-17 at 01:57 PM.
    06-18-17 10:56 AM
    Well Aurora is by an Indonesian licensee, not BBMo (ie. TCL).

Well, it has been said BlackBerry has nothing to gain since they're out of the hardware game.

My only contention to this is they already officially announced this before the dtek60 launched. But the same people who now say, BlackBerry is out of the game, no guarantees - back then they were saying:

The dtek's are aimed at enterprise customers...so they need to be secure and:

Hardened nougat will be as secure as bb10, thus don't see why they wouldn't bring this to the dtek's...

It takes 6months to harden nougat, so let's wait...

They "know" employees were playing around with nougat...

Basically the message by some on here was that it would probably be coming, and they saw no reason for it not to come for the dtek's, although there was the caveat of nothing is for certain.

Now it's basically - wait and see, if it doesn't come too bad, BlackBerry has nothing to gain from it, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Who cares about what some Crackberrian said on here? It's a blog.. Do people actually believe what they read on the internet from people they don't know in a forum? I only bought all three phones ( PRIV,DTEK50/60) based on what I saw officially. I love all you fellow Crackberrians on here, but really, all of us, myself included, don't know $&@?!...
    06-18-17 06:18 PM
    I purchased a Moto G4 for my son at the same time I got myself a DTEK 50.

It was half the price of my BlackBerry.

Guess which one's rocking Nougat?
    kbz1960 and xandros9 like this.
    06-19-17 07:58 AM
    ...BB can't even manage to get their 'securest android' updates out...
    Exactly how many monthly security patches have been skipped, across all Android devices bearing the Blackberry brand, since the beginning of time?

From my understanding, the answer is exactly 1, and only on one model.

No other Android manufacturer anywhere, including Google itself (since Google itself has retired support for some of its Nexus devices), can make that claim.

Unfortunately, it appears that some of the carrier-customized variants haven't done as well as the factory-unlocked units. That, alas, is common across all manufacturers.
    06-20-17 07:33 AM
141 ... 3456