And now that that has been cleared up, back on the topic of DTEK50 and Android...
    No much else to say... we don't know if the DTEK50 will or will not get Nougat. But the statement from BlackBerry that we are discussing it, doesn't bode will for the chances of it happening.
    05-26-17 08:33 AM
    The whole exploding batteries thing is a great point. I agree wholeheartedly. If that doesn't kill a brand...

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to all the specs and processing speed/memory, etc required to run the updated OS so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Could the DTEK50 handle Nougat without getting bogged down?
    The Snapdragon 600-based Samsung Galaxy S4 runs Lineage OS 14.1 (a fairly popular customized version of open source Android) reasonably well for me. It has similar storage capacity to the DTEK50, but less RAM. It has a CPU with fewer cores than the DTEK50, but a higher clock speed per core.

The Motorola Moto G4 series uses Snapdragon 617, in common with the DTEK50. Motorola is satisfied enough with the performance of Nougat on the G4 series to release an official upgrade. It comes in a range of storage and RAM capacities, including overlap with the DTEK50 in both categories.
    06-01-17 09:40 AM
    Except everyone was long gone by then, and developers had already decided not to champion an unnecessary third ecosystem.

The situation as you describe would had to have existed in 2009/10 to have had even the smallest chance of success.
    Unnecessary third ecosystem? Unnecessary maybe to you....

Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 05:08 PM
    Unnecessary third ecosystem? Unnecessary maybe to you....

Posted via CB10
    Unnecessary for developers. Two apps reached over 95% of the world.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    06-01-17 05:28 PM
    Unnecessary for developers. Two apps reached over 95% of the world.
    I personally think that what you say it is not right. Developers can have fun or get some money also by developing for other OS., see Bb10 or Windows. It would be interesting to know how much has Nemory earned thanks to BB10.

Btw....are you a Developer?
    06-02-17 08:12 AM
    I personally think that what you say it is not right. Developers can have fun or get some money also by developing for other OS., see Bb10 or Windows. It would be interesting to know how much has Nemory earned thanks to BB10.

Btw....are you a Developer?
    95% was in 2013. It's well over 99% now with BB10 and Windows Mobile almost completely non-existent.

There is absolutely NO business case for a third ecosystem from the point of view of developers. It's a job.
    jefbeard911 and anon(9803228) like this.
    06-02-17 08:15 AM
    And now that that has been cleared up, back on the topic of DTEK50 and Android...
    Right, this thread did a total backflip from the original topic.
    06-02-17 08:21 AM
    June 5th and nothing about the monthly security update or any software update. It seems that the Dtek's and Priv is getting less and less attention concerning a quick monthly security release. As many have commented, doesn't matter who is the manufacturer of the product, they look to the name on the phone. Diehearts will continue to purchase anything with "BlackBerry" but many previous purchasers are starting to realize that there is much beyond the Crackberry walls. I have the Priv and both Dteks and hope that these phones will continue to show life for a very long time into the future. The quality and the price of smart phones should lead to suppliers offering a long shelf life to the purchaser. For many shelf life involves staying up with software updates.
    06-05-17 09:46 AM
    Guys, the DTEK 50 is a fleet customer phone primarily. It was made so the BlackBerry Enterprise customers have something to buy in bulk. The fact the it doenst get the latest software is irrelevant to the average company customer. Their just happy to have a free phone.

The sooner everyone can get over the fact the BlackBerry doesn't realty care much about the consumer market anymore, the sooner everyone can sleep better. This "I can't believe BlackBerry is doing xyz" is really getting old. Put your big boy pants on and move on.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-17 10:15 AM
    June 5th and nothing about the monthly security update or any software update. It seems that the Dtek's and Priv is getting less and less attention concerning a quick monthly security release.
    Based on what evidence? The Priv just got the June 5th update this morning (on June 5th). The DTEK50 was the first to get it the last two months. The DTEK60 was the only device to ever miss a single month since last fall (April).
    06-05-17 10:51 AM
    At the time I posted I had not seen any announcement, so that was my evidence. I was only stating my opinion. It seems that a person has to defend their comments more and more here. Conite , you are someone I consider a valued poster here. I have no desire to argue with you. I was just offering my view. Crackberry is becoming less and less enjoyable site to spend time on. At the time I had posted my comment, no announcement had been presented on the front page of CB. I am not personal friends with any of the CB staff or related staff of BBM or BB. So I would not have any direct knowledge of anything happening, or about to happen prior to my post.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-05-17 12:09 PM
    At the time I posted I had not seen any announcement, so that was my evidence. I was only stating my opinion. It seems that a person has to defend their comments more and more here. Conite , you are someone I consider a valued poster here. I have no desire to argue with you. I was just offering my view. Crackberry is becoming less and less enjoyable site to spend time on. At the time I had posted my comment, no announcement had been presented on the front page of CB. I am not personal friends with any of the CB staff or related staff of BBM or BB. So I would not have any direct knowledge of anything happening, or about to happen prior to my post.
    You made a post with a view that didn't seem to be supported by the facts as I see them, so I commented and provided my view.

A healthy exchange of opinions on a forum does not constitute an argument.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-05-17 12:29 PM
    Has anyone from Crackberry's staff put the question to Blackberry about the Nougat update for the DTEK devices? Crickets all around?
    06-05-17 12:58 PM
    Has anyone from Crackberry's staff put the question to Blackberry about the Nougat update for the DTEK devices? Crickets all around?
    BlackBerry Original isn't going to say anything. Just like it doesn't benefit them financially to update old devices, it doesn't benefit them in anyway to confirm no OS updates for previous Android devices. They will use vague language such as continued support and security updates like with BB10. Expecting anything more than what BlackBerry has provided since the PlayBook is unrealistic. For a company that was near bankruptcy, BlackBerry has been fair. Shareholders don't expect their companies to be altruistic. That's what churches and charities are for.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-05-17 04:11 PM
    BlackBerry Original isn't going to say anything. Just like it doesn't benefit them financially to update old devices, it doesn't benefit them in anyway to confirm no OS updates for previous Android devices. They will use vague language such as continued support and security updates like with BB10. Expecting anything more than what BlackBerry has provided since the PlayBook is unrealistic. For a company that was near bankruptcy, BlackBerry has been fair. Shareholders don't expect their companies to be altruistic. That's what churches and charities are for.

Posted via CB10
    If the Blackberry brand was riding into the sunset, I would be in agreement. However TCL has globally licensed the brand, and put forth Blackberry Mobile to run the show. Let's face it, the overwhelming majority of cell phone consumers will think that the Blackberry Keyone and Blackberry DTEK devices are being designed, produced, sold, and supported by the same company - despite that not being the case. So if the sentiment on the internet is that Blackberry left DTEK owners high and dry with regards to Android OS revisions less than 1 year after the release to market of their new all touch Android phones, that is going to pose a big perception issue for Blackberry Mobile and their efforts to revitalize Blackberry Android. All that to say that if I were Blackberry Mobile, I would be pressuring Blackberry proper to support the DTEK line of Android devices well into Nougat.
    06-05-17 07:17 PM
    If the Blackberry brand was riding into the sunset, I would be in agreement. However TCL has globally licensed the brand, and put forth Blackberry Mobile to run the show. Let's face it, the overwhelming majority of cell phone consumers will think that the Blackberry Keyone and Blackberry DTEK devices are being designed, produced, sold, and supported by the same company - despite that not being the case. So if the sentiment on the internet is that Blackberry left DTEK owners high and dry with regards to Android OS revisions less than 1 year after the release to market of their new all touch Android phones, that is going to pose a big perception issue for Blackberry Mobile and their efforts to revitalize Blackberry Android. All that to say that if I were Blackberry Mobile, I would be pressuring Blackberry proper to support the DTEK line of Android devices well into Nougat.
    At this point, I don't really think BlackBerry Original really cares that much. I'm pretty sure the whole PRIV/DTEK situation probably meant a licensing discount/licensing premium based on what BlackBerry Mobile chose to do regarding the whole situation. Internal data may show the brand is more damaged than most realize. TCL didn't pay huge money for the Palm brand or the Alcatel brand if memory serves correctly.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    06-05-17 09:44 PM
    At this point, I don't really think BlackBerry Original really cares that much. I'm pretty sure the whole PRIV/DTEK situation probably meant a licensing discount/licensing premium based on what BlackBerry Mobile chose to do regarding the whole situation. Internal data may show the brand is more damaged than most realize. TCL didn't pay huge money for the Palm brand or the Alcatel brand if memory serves correctly.

Posted via CB10
    I think in TCL's mind Blackberry Mobile begins with the KeyOne. This doesn't bode well for DTEK users but I would expect DTEK to be quietly forgotten as TCL releases more and more new "Blackberry" phones.

Hopefully they will do right with support and updates on the DTEK line but I'd expect less and less as time goes by.

Send from my BlackBerry Passport
    HughJarsse likes this.
    06-05-17 10:18 PM
    I wish. I bought the DTEK50 two months ago. The DTEK60 I just bought will be here Thursday. I'm not expecting Nougat but it would be a nice surprise.
    06-06-17 05:02 PM
    Ask as many "tough" questions as you like. The answer will be crickets. Companies have press releases for what they want to say.
    Unfortunately, it's all they do, 'say', ie: promises with no substance.
    Designed to primarily 'sucker' the punter with something they have no intention of actually providing, but allows them to aquire the punters money, and then turn their back on him....
    Dteks were a 'cheap trick' to get money from punters, for a short term to allow TCL to take on BB's products. Both 50 & 60 will be 'orphaned' before they are a year old.
    Dtek suffered horrendous update trouble when first launched, (because it's a 'cheap' phone we were told..sorry, is £275 is NOT cheap!!) Less than a year later, it is dead in the water, abandoned, and promises made when it was announced now long forgotten....

Yeah, sure, it's all about the 'press releases' stuff the 'reality' ehhh?
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-12-17 02:09 PM
    Unfortunately, it's all they do, 'say', ie: promises with no substance.
    Designed to primarily 'sucker' the punter with something they have no intention of actually providing, but allows them to aquire the punters money, and then turn their back on him....
    Dteks were a 'cheap trick' to get money from punters, for a short term to allow TCL to take on BB's products. Both 50 & 60 will be 'orphaned' before they are a year old.
    Dtek suffered horrendous update trouble when first launched, (because it's a 'cheap' phone we were told..sorry, is £275 is NOT cheap!!) Less than a year later, it is dead in the water, abandoned, and promises made when it was announced now long forgotten....

Yeah, sure, it's all about the 'press releases' stuff the 'reality' ehhh?
    Ah, I was responding to the suggestion of just calling up BlackBerry or TCL to get answers to the "tough" questions.

Companies will say what they want to say, when they want to say it, and how they want to say it.

As far as the DTEKs are concerned (I have several of both), they are still great devices that continue to receive monthly updates. Put together, they have only missed 2 out of 16 months.
    06-12-17 02:17 PM
    Ah, I was responding to the suggestion of just calling up BlackBerry or TCL to get answers to the "tough" questions.

Companies will say what they want to say, when they want to say it, and how they want to say it.

As far as the DTEKs are concerned (I have several of both), they are still great devices that continue to receive monthly updates. Put together, they have only missed 2 out of 16 months.
    Who said anything about "just calling up Blackberry/TCL" for answers? I asked if anyone from Crackberry's staff had asked the question. When John Chen writes a congratulatory open letter to Crackberry for 10 years, there's obviously a relationship there, and there is access to a crowd of Blackberry insiders that a blind phone call from a random presser won't be able to match.

Ultimately however, there is no real journalistic drive to ask the hard pertinent questions anymore... which is sad really because back in the days of Jonathan Geller and the old CBK we would already know if these DTEKs were getting Nougat or not.
    06-12-17 04:13 PM
    Who said anything about "just calling up Blackberry/TCL" for answers? I asked if anyone from Crackberry's staff had asked the question. When John Chen writes a congratulatory open letter to Crackberry for 10 years, there's obviously a relationship there, and there is access to a crowd of Blackberry insiders that a blind phone call from a random presser won't be able to match.

Ultimately however, there is no real journalistic drive to ask the hard pertinent questions anymore... which is sad really because back in the days of Jonathan Geller and the old CBK we would already know if these DTEKs were getting Nougat or not.
    If they told Kevin or Bla1ze, they wouldn't be allowed to make it public anyway. So what's the point?

As it said, BlackBerry will say something if/when they wish to.
    06-12-17 04:46 PM
    Considering the Dtek50 is just a year old, and was released with Marshmallow, one would expect at least ONE upgrade in the 'expected lifespan' of the phone, most other manufacturers do at least have the decency to provide that, even if they do no more..
    Samsung tend to do at least 2 OS upgrades for most of their phones, appears BB can't even be bothered to give users one!!
    Under the impression that TCL/BB are quietly ditching both the Dteks, hoping that they will just 'disappear' if they are not supported
    06-13-17 03:00 PM
    I reading on the various forums as to the uncertainty of the Dtek50 getting the android 7.0 and further update, and to my very big surprise, everyone here is just saying "oh well, too bad"!!! Is this a joke?? Buying a fairly high priced device such as the Dtek50 and accepting it as a " one android generation " device??? Especially coming g from a company that's is trying it's hardest to come back and remain relevant in an over saturated phone market!!! And claiming to have become a "software company" that focuses on communication security and so on!! Seriously??? "Oh well, too bad" ??? I must be dreaming... See this is my first Blackberry device and it could well be my last ones too providing they decide no to update it to Nougat. Folks we should not expect Nougat only, but android O also, as most reputable manufacturers guaranty 2 android version updates. My daughter has a Huawei honor 8 that received Nougat mid January!!! I personally use a Nexus 5x and this Dtek50 to try out the Blackberry "thing" as Nexus is now a thing of the past, and was/am in the process of finding the best brand replacement for my use. However, the 5x is running Android O as I am a beta user and then Dtek50 is essentially now 2 generation's behind and there is talk of keeping it there!! Seriously...if that's the case, then Pixel or iPhone will be my only choices. Oh well, too bad...
    BTW I absolutely love my Dtek50 and the Blackberry software in general...just saying
    Yes. It will come included with hot chocolate and a brand muffin...
    06-13-17 08:25 PM
    If they told Kevin or Bla1ze, they wouldn't be allowed to make it public anyway. So what's the point?

As it said, BlackBerry will say something if/when they wish to.
    Sure, everybody's own choice to stay quiet until eternity if desired.

Any logic to not say anything at this point?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 03:15 AM
141 ... 23456