How much would you pay for it?

Posted via CB10
    Dude you are so fixated on this. No OEM would every update a device if they expected some sort of return from it. Yet there are devices older then the Priv getting updated. What could possibly be the motivation there exactly because it certainly isn't to make money as you seem to think is the sole reason for updates.
    05-23-17 09:41 PM
    Dude you are so fixated on this. No OEM would every update a device if they expected some sort of return from it. Yet there are devices older then the Priv getting updated. What could possibly be the motivation there exactly because it certainly isn't to make money as you seem to think is the sole reason for updates.
    If you have an ongoing device business, it will generate goodwill.

But since BlackBerry does not, they would be less inclined to look at non-monetary issues.
    05-23-17 09:44 PM
    If you have an ongoing device business, it will generate goodwill.

But since BlackBerry does not, they would be less inclined to look at non-monetary issues.
    Except that they committed to an ongoing device business with others and their name is still tied to both current and future devices. Consumers don't give two ****s about what production line a device is coming off if it has their name and brand and software all over it.
    And if the case is what you say it is, then BlackBerry should come out and just say they have abandoned anything that was ever made in house rather then keep pushing out remaining stock as they are now knowing full well they won't do anything for them software wise as you claim. That will only hurt their name further and will hurt future devices no matter who is making them. I get you seem to to think it's okay but average consumers arent as understanding and forgiving as you.
    And by the way, I only care because I want success for devices going forward. Not because I care about Android N so much. By screwing the existing user base and ditching devices that you are selling still today, that already puts BlackBerry mobile behind the 8 ball and in an uphill battle as this existing base is likely who will buy their devices first.
    05-23-17 09:49 PM
    Except that they committed to an ongoing device business with others and their name is still tied to both current and future devices. Consumers don't give two ****s about what production line a device is coming off if it has their name and brand and software all over it.
    And if the case is what you say it is, then BlackBerry should come out and just say they have abandoned anything that was ever made in house rather then keep pushing out remaining stock as they are now knowing full well they won't do anything for them software wise as you claim. That will only hurt their name further and will hurt future devices no matter who is making them. I get you seem to to think it's okay but average consumers arent as understanding and forgiving as you.
    And by the way, I only care because I want success for devices going forward. Not because I care about Android N so much. By screwing the existing user base and ditching devices that you are selling still today, that already puts BlackBerry mobile behind the 8 ball and in an uphill battle as this existing base is likely who will buy their devices first.
    As I said before - it's math problem.

Cost of updating and supporting N going forward on current devices versus potential loss of future licencing revenues from a number of angry customers.
    05-23-17 09:54 PM
    As I said before - it's math problem.

Cost of updating and supporting N going forward on current devices versus potential loss of future licencing revenues from a number of angry customers.
    Yes you keep saying that but really no source as to what the costs are. Pure speculation. And like I said, the number of customers is what kept them in the game this long to even have an android offering to licence out. And those are likely the same people who will keep it going until BlackBerry mobile can make head way if they ever do.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    05-23-17 09:56 PM
    will certainly NOT add up to further phone/software license sales once the already tiny Blackberry market realizes what's taking place.
    Their focus is enterprise, not the consumers on here. That market purchases based on security and reliability. They aren't eager for OS upgrades. They have all been low volume phones too, so expending the resources other than for goodwill in CrackBerryland, isn't the wisest decision, though I suspect they will. Buying a phone based on hopes of upgrades, instead of what it's capable of at purchase, doesn't make sense to me. That is, unless it's a Nexus or iPhone. Those two are marketed with that expectation in mind.

Further, the Idol 4 aka DTEK50 hasn't received Nougat either. Nor has the 4S, aka DTEK60.

There are a lot of good reasons to want Nougat, so I get the desire. On the other-hand, if due to hardware they find it doesn't provide as stable an experience, and has no performance gains, then why release it and have the majority, who don't come on CrackBerry clamoring for it, disappointed. If that ends up the case, they shouldn't say anything, or surely the torches and pitchforks will come out.

I would think the order of Nougat likely releases would be Idol 4S, DTEK60, Priv, Idol 4, and DTEK50 pulling up the rear.
    05-23-17 11:21 PM
    Remember thurber said DTEK50 the most secure android smartphone, dont worry about Nougat
    05-23-17 11:53 PM
    Remember thurber said DTEK50 the most secure android smartphone, dont worry about Nougat
    If we all had a dollar for everything a BlackBerry exc said....

When launched the DTEK50 might have been the most secure Android phone. But today that's the KEYone, as it runs NOUGAT which has fixed a few inherit Android problems that were still in Marshmallow. But even NOUGAT has a few known vulnerabilities.... that Android "O" is suppose to fix.

Monthly security patches only do so much.... as they can't make the big changes that are sometimes required to protect users.
    05-24-17 07:40 AM
    If we all had a dollar for everything a BlackBerry exc said....
    I'd rather have a dollar for every time someone complained they said nothing at all.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and xandros9 like this.
    05-24-17 07:56 AM
    If BlackBerry cares about their brand, they will do things that preserve the brand in the eyes of their current customers. If they want to be cheap with their brand, then we can be cheap with them and not buy devices with their software anymore. TCL will do the talking for us.
    If by "current customers" you mean individual retail mobile phone buyers, BlackBerry has been doing the smart thing and running as far away as possible as fast as possible.

Why should they worry about a handful of retail customers upset that they are not getting free stuff they were never promised in the first place? Threatening not to buy products BlackBerry doesn't intend to make likely doesn't keep anyone at BlackBerry up at night.

BlackBerry started out as a corporate IT service provider and that's what they are good at. They are smart to leave the consumer market for phones to licensees who actually want to be in that business.

BlackBerry's reputation with its "real" customers (the kind that are actually profitable) is very good and getting better. That's why the stock is up 50%+ this year.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    BigBadWulf and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    05-24-17 08:07 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was some marketing involved with the delay. This way the KEYone can have the latest and greatest and it becomes a selling point. This was BlackBerry's pattern with BB10 versioning, too, with new devices having the latest OS revision on release and the rest of the devices getting it a month or two later.

PERSONALLY (i.e. strictly my own speculation), I think the DTEK50 & 60 will get Nougat in the next couple months, with the Priv possibly following sometime later this year. I'd even say the odds are good that the DTEKs will get Android 8 eventually.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-24-17 09:38 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was some marketing involved with the delay. This way the KEYone can have the latest and greatest and it becomes a selling point. This was BlackBerry's pattern with BB10 versioning, too, with new devices having the latest OS revision on release and the rest of the devices getting it a month or two later.

PERSONALLY (i.e. strictly my own speculation), I think the DTEK50 & 60 will get Nougat in the next couple months, with the Priv possibly following sometime later this year. I'd even say the odds are good that the DTEKs will get Android 8 eventually.
    Yep but with bb10 we can have the latest software by installing leak or live links OS
    05-24-17 09:43 AM

That might work for BlackBerry and BB10 Platform.... but this is the Google World, and Nougat has been out for eight months now. Holding back just BlackBerry's Android devices, isn't much of a "marketing plan". Especially if one of your biggest marketing points is updates.....

Also a big difference seems to be the amount of tweaking it takes for each device. With BB10 one OS ruled them all, of course one SoC pretty much ruled them all also. Just looking at the difference in the Aurora and KEYone......
    Chuck Finley69 and Uzi like this.
    05-24-17 11:59 AM
    The DTEK60 was removed from Shop BB today. The odds of Nougat just dropped a little.
    05-24-17 12:00 PM
    The DTEK60 was removed from Shop BB today. The odds of Nougat just dropped a little.
    They are more than likely out of inventory... dtek 60 will be next...and they can move on. The stock is doing well tho (for the year) .
    05-24-17 01:38 PM
    They are more than likely out of inventory... dtek 60 will be next...and they can move on. The stock is doing well tho (for the year) .
    DTEK60 is what is gone, expect they were able to limit their order on those.

DTEK50 is the only phone left on shopblackberry.com.... imagine it won't be long now.

Doing well... ?
    Carjackd likes this.
    05-24-17 02:46 PM
    DTEK60 is what is gone, expect they were able to limit their order on those.

DTEK50 is the only phone left on shopblackberry.com.... imagine it won't be long now.

Doing well... ?
    Oops...minor typo
    05-24-17 03:46 PM
    Motivation is for customers to buy more devices. No company ever wants to spend money on devices it has already sold and booked the revenue. If OEMs don't provide updates, customers move to other brands. Since BlackBerry Original exited the OEM business, motivation is mostly gone. TCL licensed a very tarnished brand. However, like Conite said, it's a math game. BlackBerry Original cares about goodwill to extent spending any money for PRIV and DTEK will generate enough additional licensing revenue to pay for those updates in the future. They've licensed the brand to very sophisticated business people who understand all this as well. PRIV and DTEK were to prove Android could be secured and to keep brand relevant. If consumers forgive brands for things like exploding batteries, not getting Nougat will really not matter.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-24-17 07:49 PM
    ... If consumers forgive brands for things like exploding batteries, not getting Nougat will really not matter.
    Uhmmmm... there is one very simple reason for such forgiveness... and it's so very obvious.

Sammy learned from their mistake and might just know more... and have the safest batteries available now.

BlackBerry... on the other hand... keeps making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-24-17 08:46 PM
    Motivation is for customers to buy more devices. No company ever wants to spend money on devices it has already sold and booked the revenue. If OEMs don't provide updates, customers move to other brands. Since BlackBerry Original exited the OEM business, motivation is mostly gone. TCL licensed a very tarnished brand. However, like Conite said, it's a math game. BlackBerry Original cares about goodwill to extent spending any money for PRIV and DTEK will generate enough additional licensing revenue to pay for those updates in the future. They've licensed the brand to very sophisticated business people who understand all this as well. PRIV and DTEK were to prove Android could be secured and to keep brand relevant. If consumers forgive brands for things like exploding batteries, not getting Nougat will really not matter.
    The whole exploding batteries thing is a great point. I agree wholeheartedly. If that doesn't kill a brand...

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to all the specs and processing speed/memory, etc required to run the updated OS so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Could the DTEK50 handle Nougat without getting bogged down?
    05-24-17 08:48 PM
    BlackBerry... on the other hand... keeps making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again.
    Then you must be happy that BlackBerry is out of the picture now.

Licencees can fuss with devices while BlackBerry finally enjoys the fruits of its turnaround.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-24-17 08:54 PM
    Then you must be happy that BlackBerry is out of the picture now.

Licencees can fuss with devices while BlackBerry finally enjoys the fruits of its turnaround.
    Yes you're right BlackBerry has nothing to do with it now....except for that small tiny little piece called the software. You know, that thing that they themselves said is what actually makes a smartphone and not the hardware. But yes, you are right. Not important and doesnt matter one tiny bit.
    05-24-17 10:12 PM
    Yes you're right BlackBerry has nothing to do with it now....except for that small tiny little piece called the software. You know, that thing that they themselves said is what actually makes a smartphone and not the hardware. But yes, you are right. Not important and doesnt matter one tiny bit.
    Yes, BlackBerry Android is one of a large number of software products that BlackBerry has on the go - and probably the most expendable and least profitable.

But they have managed to dump device design, manufacture, marketing, distribution, and support - and all the infrastructure and physical plant that goes along with it.
    05-24-17 10:17 PM
    Yes, BlackBerry Android is one of a large number of software products that BlackBerry has on the go - and probably the most expendable and least profitable.
    Kind of depends on those licence agreements (duration, support, etc) that you consistently refer to when making an argument just how expendable it is.
    05-24-17 10:19 PM
    Kind of depends on those licence agreements (duration, support, etc) that you consistently refer to when making an argument just how expendable it is.
    Absolutely. I assume they would be bound for a year or two per device.
    05-24-17 10:21 PM
141 1234 ...