I have just started to trial the Wileyfox Swift Cyanogen /Android system. My wife has a Moto 3 G "pure" android. Having had BlackBerry's for many years, most recent being Z30 preceded by Z10, we are appalled and extremely irritated by the number and frequency of rolling part screen ads about viruses and full memory and full screen intrusions of Game of War etc ads. We never had this on OS10 so if we go the blackberry android phone route are we going to be similarly bombarded with all this ad ****? If so we may as well resign ourselves and stick with the devils we know rather than fork out �275 for similar annoyance. Can someone please advise?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 03:34 PM
    Android is Android. There's nothing BlackBerry does to stop any of that.
    07-26-16 03:39 PM
    I never see any of this stuff? Where is it you are browsing? Getting apps from third party sourceS??
    07-26-16 03:41 PM
    I never see any of this stuff? Where is it you are browsing? Getting apps from third party sourceS??
    Kind of what I was wondering as well lol.
    07-26-16 03:42 PM
    Kind of what I was wondering as well lol.
    It's why I stopped fixing family PCs when they used to get viruses and the like and they "just didn't know how!" - I generally knew after a couple of minutes and I rather I didn't... :-)
    07-26-16 03:45 PM
    I am thinking it's Google Play Store and Chrome which are the culprits here so I have downloaded Google.co.uk browser from the Web and don't have a problem with it, only Chrome. I have downloaded a few apps via Google Web as downloading using Playstore seems to generate ads. Anyone else have similar thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 04:38 PM
    What is Google.co.uk browser? Don't download any apps from outside the Playstore first of all. Downloading and installing apps by browser link is sure to get you in trouble in time.

You're either going to sites on Android that you don't go with BB10 or you're using some godawful adware masquerading as an app.
    07-26-16 04:59 PM
    Google.co.uk is the default Web app in the UK when you open Internet Explorer. I never have trusted Chrome as it wants access to too much of your personal details, e.g why does it want access to your microphone? And, no, I don't visit any "suspicious" sites. I just want an ad-free environment on my phone when I click on, say, Sky News. Since moving to Android I and especially my wife on Moto 3G are besieged by adverts. Never had it on OS10. That's why I am querying if this new BlackBerry android handset will give the same problems. If so there's no point in buying it to replace my android Wileyfox Swift which is otherwise a great all round performer

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 05:38 PM
    It wants access to your microphone so you can speak into the search bar.

As for ads, they are coming from your apps. All of the crappy/s**tty free games you play need to generate revenue somehow. By sticking you with random annoying ads, this is how it's accomplished. One of the apps you have downloaded keeps beaming ads at you. My suggestion is backup your phone, wipe the phone, reinstall apps you need, then add your games one by one to see who the culprit is.

Posted via Commodore 64
    07-26-16 06:01 PM
    Chrome needs microphone for web addons like Discord/Hangouts/audio search etc. You can turn it off in settings if its not already off by default.

Look thru your recent app installs and then go to the Playstore and see if those apps have had recent bad reviews for ads. You'll see them pretty quickly and then uninstall the ones that are bad.
    07-26-16 06:02 PM
    Chrome needs microphone for web addons like Discord/Hangouts/audio search etc. You can turn it off in settings if its not already off by default.

Look thru your recent app installs and then go to the Playstore and see if those apps have had recent bad reviews for ads. You'll see them pretty quickly and then uninstall the ones that are bad.
    Note you don't really turn off any sensor. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 07:18 PM
    I recommend taking a look at Firefox browser. Reason, other than the fact it's fine to use, you can install the ublock origin plugin which is the same one I use on my PC's browser. It'll go a long way toward stopping ads.
    07-26-16 11:22 PM