Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry DTEK50

Will the DTEK50 ever upgrade to a newer version of Android, perhaps OS 7.0?

Asked: Dec 04 2018 | 3:23 pm EST 2746 Views 16 Answers View Best Answer

My company utilizes the BlackBerry UEM mobile platform and related apps and I was just informed that unless I switch to a device that supports the Android OS 7.0, I will no longer be able to use these services after 1/31/18. I currently have a BlackBerry DTEK50... so basically, my BlackBerry device will not be compatible with the BlackBerry mobile platform and I'll have to buy a non-BlackBerry device to continue using the BlackBerry UEM. Will there be an upgrade to OS 7.0 any time soon???

Best Answer

Dec 04 2018 | 3:55 pm EST Bla1ze

Will there be an upgrade to OS 7.0 any time soon???
Never for the DTEK series. You need to move into something else if work requires 7.0+

More Answers

Dec 05 2018 | 6:00 am EST Chuck Finley69

My company utilizes the BlackBerry UEM mobile platform and related apps and I was just informed that unless I switch to a device that supports the Android OS 7.0, I will no longer be able to use these services after 1/31/18. I currently have a BlackBerry DTEK50... so basically, my BlackBerry device will not be compatible with the BlackBerry mobile platform and I'll have to buy a non-BlackBerry device to continue using the BlackBerry UEM. Will there be an upgrade to OS 7.0 any time soon???
KEYone, Motion, Key2 and Key2 LE are viable options for you if you want to keep using BlackBerry licensed hardware...
Dec 27 2018 | 9:24 am EST AparnaHimjal

I too feel, BlackBerry should provide upgrade for DTek 50
Dec 27 2018 | 9:49 am EST Chuck Finley69

BlackBerry provides an upgrade to BlackBerry Mobile licensed devices. You can also purchase different OEMs as well and install BB hub.
Dec 27 2018 | 10:00 am EST thurask

They should, but they won't. Your upgrade path is a different phone, preferably from a different brand.
Jan 10 2019 | 7:37 pm EST whatsever

you will stock on an old version like they did with BB10.
May 17 2019 | 9:42 am EDT kchops

My dtek50 is less than 3 years old are you saying it is out of date?
May 17 2019 | 9:49 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

My dtek50 is less than 3 years old are you saying it is out of date?
Sorry but BlackBerry left the hardware business that year... I expect a DTEK will work just fine for years to come and shouldn't have any issues working with today's or tomorrow's apps. But yeah it's running a rather old version of Android, from a security perspective (the OP's company) it is outdated.

Updates and patches are BOTH important for the longevity of a mobile device today.
May 19 2019 | 8:11 pm EDT kchops

I feel well peaved, I moved from a Z10 because BB stopped suporting the software I moved to a dtek50 thinking I was doing the right thing, my daughter who was a uni her phone failed so yes I bought another dtek50 and I also got one for my son so I feel a little let down. From reading the posts on this site I think my next phone will be android but not BB as all the reasons for staying loyal to BB have evaporated.
May 19 2019 | 8:30 pm EDT Chuck Finley69

I feel well peaved, I moved from a Z10 because BB stopped suporting the software I moved to a dtek50 thinking I was doing the right thing, my daughter who was a uni her phone failed so yes I bought another dtek50 and I also got one for my son so I feel a little let down. From reading the posts on this site I think my next phone will be android but not BB as all the reasons for staying loyal to BB have evaporated.
There’s no BB to be loyal too. BBMo is a different company that just licensed everything from BB and makes the Key line of PKB devices.

Plenty of Android/IOS devices to choose from. My kids all prefer iOS anyways.
May 20 2019 | 12:35 am EDT thurask

From reading the posts on this site I think my next phone will be android but not BB as all the reasons for staying loyal to BB have evaporated.
Since it seems you're not pathologically dependent on a physical keyboard, then you've hit the nail on the head.
May 20 2019 | 2:05 am EDT kchops

You are so right, the only difference I noticed when I used the 8 & 9 series phones I typed with my thumbs when I moved to a 10 series phone I held it in my left hand and typed with my right like eveyone else, I have on preference.
May 20 2019 | 3:28 pm EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

Yeah... "some" KEYone owners are feeling a little peeved right now too. As I suspect some KEY2 and KEY2 LE owners will as well.

You want a phone with long term support... you need to look to an OEM that has a good record.
May 20 2019 | 6:28 pm EDT Chuck Finley69

Yeah... "some" KEYone owners are feeling a little peeved right now too. As I suspect some KEY2 and KEY2 LE owners will as well.

You want a phone with long term support... you need to look to an OEM that has a good record.
Plus no government sanctions....
May 21 2019 | 7:23 pm EDT conite

Yup trusted BlackBerry is dead now.
What did BlackBerry do to earn your trust?

What did BlackBerry Mobile do to lose your trust?

Curious.