I've owned 2 DTEK 50's since they were released and am now looking to move on to an up to date device.

My experience with both DTEK 50's has been very satisfactory, and any issue I had was able to be resolved. Now, I need to find a phone that will accommodate additional memory with an external SD Card, dual SIM if possible, though dual SIM in Canada / U.S. is not easy to find.

Needless to say, security along with patches and updates are appreciated....

So what are the options, if a physical keyboard is not really an attractive or vital feature, but current operating system or the promise of an upgrade to the latest is desirable?

Is there a Blackberry branded device on the horizon, or is the Key2 the end of the line?
    08-29-19 04:02 PM
    If Pie and later Q are must-haves for you, then you should not look at the K2. There are many Android sites that you can check out for good recommendations.
    08-29-19 04:28 PM
    I've owned 2 DTEK 50's since they were released and am now looking to move on to an up to date device.

My experience with both DTEK 50's has been very satisfactory, and any issue I had was able to be resolved. Now, I need to find a phone that will accommodate additional memory with an external SD Card, dual SIM if possible, though dual SIM in Canada / U.S. is not easy to find.

So what are the options, if a physical keyboard is not really an attractive or vital feature, but current operating system or the promise of an upgrade to the latest is desirable?

Is there a Blackberry branded device on the horizon, or is the Key2 the end of the line?
    As a fellow Canuck, I feel your pain about the lack of dual sim devices!

Realistically, we don’t expect solid info about a new BlackBerry until the end of the calendar year. The OnePlus 7/Pro is probably your best option, IMHO. A definite upgrade over your DTEK50, and great bang for the buck. It gets timely OS and security updates as well.
    08-29-19 05:30 PM
    Some of the best features in Android Q, that allow security and OS patching directly from the Android team via the Play Store, will only be available on phones that ship with Q (Android 10). It might be worth waiting for that.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-29-19 05:49 PM
    ...... I feel your pain about the lack of dual sim devices! .....
    Why do manufacturers largely restrict dual SIM phones in North America? Does it have to do with marketing, demand, regulatory (government) or cell phone provider pressures?
    08-29-19 06:02 PM
    Why do manufacturers largely restrict dual SIM phones in North America? Does it have to do with marketing, demand, regulatory (government) or cell phone provider pressures?
    Because most phones are sold through carriers, and the last thing they want to offer is an alternative to their service.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-29-19 06:59 PM
    I have had my eye on an ASUS Zenphone 6, but for some reason they are just not yet available in North America, despite advertising on the Canadian website.

Any experience / comments on ASUS phones?
    08-30-19 08:17 AM
    I have had my eye on an ASUS Zenphone 6, but for some reason they are just not yet available in North America, despite advertising on the Canadian website.

Any experience / comments on ASUS phones?
    Buy carrier supported phones
    08-30-19 09:11 PM
    I think the best replacement for the DTEK 50 is a new DTEK 50 !

I brole my DTEK after going back to the classic and trying different Android phones this week I have ordered a new DTEK 50
    I really dont understand why this phone is so under rated !
    If more people knew what a good peice of kit it is they would have had a lot more sales on this device
    08-31-19 04:57 AM
    I think the best replacement for the DTEK 50 is a new DTEK 50 !

I brole my DTEK after going back to the classic and trying different Android phones this week I have ordered a new DTEK 50
    I really dont understand why this phone is so under rated !
    If more people knew what a good peice of kit it is they would have had a lot more sales on this device
    Can’t speak to what happened three years ago in Canada but neither DTEK had carrier support in USA either sales or service. Since both phones were rebadged Alcatel, technology reviews were comparable to Alcatel base phones and the price of BBAndroid which doesn’t matter to most prospective customers.

Now the device is three years old and the software is EOL in the mind of consumers. Now it’s just not current for review purposes.
    08-31-19 06:47 AM
    Can’t speak to what happened three years ago in Canada but neither DTEK had carrier support in USA either sales or service. Since both phones were rebadged Alcatel, technology reviews were comparable to Alcatel base phones and the price of BBAndroid which doesn’t matter to most prospective customers.

Now the device is three years old and the software is EOL in the mind of consumers. Now it’s just not current for review purposes.
    Im here in the UK 160 miles South of London Blackberrys run beautifully here on all networks and also in the rest of Europe I have used mine as far down as the Greek Islands in Europe !
    08-31-19 08:40 AM
    Im here in the UK 160 miles South of London Blackberrys run beautifully here on all networks and also in the rest of Europe I have used mine as far down as the Greek Islands in Europe !
    Sure it runs fine especially for it’s age.

You asked question regarding it being underrated and I was speaking to it’s primary sales failure points.

I own both DTEK models and used them dual carry until switching to iPhone/KEYone combo
    08-31-19 08:50 AM
    Sure it runs fine especially for it’s age.

You asked question regarding it being underrated and I was speaking to it’s primary sales failure points.

I own both DTEK models and used them dual carry until switching to iPhone/KEYone combo
    You dual carried a DTEK50 and a DTEK60??? Brave!
    08-31-19 09:07 AM
    You dual carried a DTEK50 and a DTEK60??? Brave!
    It was a love/hate relationship. I bought them 1/2 price or less on ShopBlackBerry as it was being shutdown. Thin and lighter weight is what I liked. Factory unlocked and no carrier support is why I only pay 1/2 price just like my BE KEYone and why there’ll be no Key2 or Key2 LE for me.

Like the PRIV, the DTEK were learning curve hardware that suffered from low storage and poor battery life on the 50 and while the storage and battery life on the 60 practically was double, it’s double a low starting point
    08-31-19 10:11 AM

Pixel 3a is what I migrated to after my DTEK50 began having battery problems. The Pixel unlocked works on any network and updates are first and timely.

True, there is no removable storage, but my phone backs up to my cloud so that works for me. In 2019, I don't see removable storage as the important feature it once was, especially if you lose your phone.

Pixel 3a is roughly the same size as the DTEK50. With BlackBerry software, it is a nice substitute. You can side load the BlackBerry keyboard if you want, but it is now utter trash so I switched to Gboard which I feel is light years ahead of the BlackBerry keyboard at this point.

The camera on the 3a is from another planet compared to anything BlackBerry and the battery life superb. I got mine for $322 shipped. Almost silly to consider anything else at the prices they can be had.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-01-19 08:54 PM
    Pixel 3a is what I migrated to after my DTEK50 began having battery problems. The Pixel unlocked works on any network and updates are first and timely.

True, there is no removable storage, but my phone backs up to my cloud so that works for me. In 2019, I don't see removable storage as the important feature it once was, especially if you lose your phone.

Pixel 3a is roughly the same size as the DTEK50. With BlackBerry software, it is a nice substitute. You can side load the BlackBerry keyboard if you want, but it is now utter trash so I switched to Gboard which I feel is light years ahead of the BlackBerry keyboard at this point.

The camera on the 3a is from another planet compared to anything BlackBerry and the battery life superb. I got mine for $322 shipped. Almost silly to consider anything else at the prices they can be had.
    Great recommendation for those that prefer a slab. Pixel 3a and 3a XL also have an eSIM so are in reality dual SIM phones. You simply cannot beat the newer Pixel 3a series for Android, all touch and value. Camera is excellent, software is clean, BlackBerry HUB Suite works seamlessly and when I used my dad's for @ 3 weeks LOVED the polycarbonate build. I am set with my BE KeyOne, Samsung S9, and numerous other devices but if and when I get another slab I 100 percent will consider the Pixel "a" line for my daily.
    09-07-19 10:06 AM
    Great recommendation for those that prefer a slab. Pixel 3a and 3a XL also have an eSIM so are in reality dual SIM phones. You simply cannot beat the newer Pixel 3a series for Android, all touch and value. Camera is excellent, software is clean, BlackBerry HUB Suite works seamlessly and when I used my dad's for @ 3 weeks LOVED the polycarbonate build. I am set with my BE KeyOne, Samsung S9, and numerous other devices but if and when I get another slab I 100 percent will consider the Pixel "a" line for my daily.
    I wish AT&T offered either size and I’d probably dual carry again. This dual eSIM isn’t completely great for me but it’s only been four days.
    09-07-19 01:46 PM