Wow. I'm utterly shocked at some of the comments i'm reading. I got rid of both my DTEK50's as some of you will know. But I can't believe there are some diehard fanboys who are still defending Blackberry when it comes to security updates. I watched everything there was to watch about the DTEK50. I read almost everything there was to read about the DTEK50. Blackberry promised quick security patches. They even went as far as saying phones that don't have quick security patches are inferior. If you go to their website now, it says the following:

"The World’s Most Secure Android Smartphones
    You wouldn’t put money in a bank that didn’t lock its safe. Or leave the doors of your home unlocked at night. Having a smartphone that doesn’t take your privacy seriously is the equivalent. "
    source: Most Secure Android Smartphone -– DTEK60 and DTEK50 - United Kingdom

still not convinced?? The very same source continues and says this:

"Many popular smartphones put the user’s private information at risk of being hacked due to slow security updates. BlackBerry has a record of being the quickest to deliver security patches. Other smartphones can take weeks, months or even years to deliver security patches, leaving you vulnerable and at risk"

Blackberry marketed this phone as "the most secure android". They promised fast patches. They boasted about being "the quickest" - that's still on their website. Now, the next link i'm going to post wasn't specifically about the DTEK50, but it was Chen speaking at a security summit, talking about how everybody, not just big companies should be concerned about security and fast patching/response:

Fanboys will be fanboys and they'll STILL defend Blackberry. So now I bring you the DTEK50 webcast which was used to market the DTEK50. Alex Thurber was pushing the idea that the DTEK50 was for everyone and how security is paramount for everybody "whether you're a big business or mom and dad" (8 mins 56 secs in):

Link:

Ok, so you're STILL not convinced? (really?? ugh....)

David Kleidermacher then said that it's a "misconception that android is less secure than iOS" and went on to say this (15 mins 43 secs in):

He then bashes Apple and says "It took about 3 months for them to be corrected!" - "this is why zero day patching is so important".

Then, for any idiots who still think: "Oh I wont be hacked because I missed a single update, it's fine. Blackberry are still cool"

Alex Thurber jumps in and says "Blackberry are committed to zero-day patching and we push those for every device all over the world (16 mins 10 secs in)"

In short: We were promised zero-day patching. There's no possible excuse that can be made. Blackberry let us down. And I say this as a Blackberry fan. What are Blackberry haters going to say? What will Samsung or Apple users say? It's a disgrace this was allowed to happen.

And Blackberry call themselves a software company? Are you kidding me?? Chen needs to be fired. Blackberry need to quit making promises they don't keep. I honestly think unless some serious changes happen, Blackberry will STILL be redundant in the mobile market.

How anyone can defend Blackberry after their broken promise and hype is beyond me. Are you being paid by Blackberry?? I'm saying this as someone who owned a Blackberry Bold (forget which number), a BB Classic, 2x DTEK 50's and now I currently have a 9320 as a backup phone. I'm not afraid to call out Blackberry and not be a mindless fanboy. I bought 2x DTEK50's based on their claims and promises and i'm hacked off (no pun intended) that I paid good money for them, only to not get the zero day patching that they promised. Rant /
    evodevo69, Matt J and Wmsi like this.
    12-30-16 07:10 PM
    I love mine. Not sure if you are aware but the pixel was hacked in 60 seconds. No one has hacked into a dtek or priv yet. It's one thing to have constructive criticism but lots are enjoying their dtek50's I had one, sold it in hopes of a bf deal on the 60. Didn't work out so got 2 more 50's. They are great and the batter life is awesome if I don't play games for hours. Also doesn't have a cheesy interface like the honor or axon does
    1) Pixel is more popular, so of course hackers will target it more
    2) No one has released a DTEK50 vulnerability ....that you know of. There are underground forums that trade in vulnerabilities. Don't think the DTEK50 is unhackable - nothing is 100% secure
    12-30-16 07:14 PM
    1) Pixel is more popular, so of course hackers will target it more
    2) No one has released a DTEK50 vulnerability ....that you know of. There are underground forums that trade in vulnerabilities. Don't think the DTEK50 is unhackable - nothing is 100% secure
    I agree that nothing is unhackable that is connected to a Network. What phone are you getting now?
    12-30-16 09:07 PM
    Wow. I'm utterly shocked at some of the comments i'm reading. I got rid of both my DTEK50's as some of you will know. But I can't believe there are some diehard fanboys who are still defending Blackberry when it comes to security updates. I watched everything there was to watch about the DTEK50. I read almost everything there was to read about the DTEK50. Blackberry promised quick security patches. They even went as far as saying phones that don't have quick security patches are inferior. If you go to their website now, it says the following:

"The World’s Most Secure Android Smartphones
    You wouldn’t put money in a bank that didn’t lock its safe. Or leave the doors of your home unlocked at night. Having a smartphone that doesn’t take your privacy seriously is the equivalent. "
    source: Most Secure Android Smartphone -– DTEK60 and DTEK50 - United Kingdom

still not convinced?? The very same source continues and says this:

"Many popular smartphones put the user’s private information at risk of being hacked due to slow security updates. BlackBerry has a record of being the quickest to deliver security patches. Other smartphones can take weeks, months or even years to deliver security patches, leaving you vulnerable and at risk"

Blackberry marketed this phone as "the most secure android". They promised fast patches. They boasted about being "the quickest" - that's still on their website. Now, the next link i'm going to post wasn't specifically about the DTEK50, but it was Chen speaking at a security summit, talking about how everybody, not just big companies should be concerned about security and fast patching/response:

Fanboys will be fanboys and they'll STILL defend Blackberry. So now I bring you the DTEK50 webcast which was used to market the DTEK50. Alex Thurber was pushing the idea that the DTEK50 was for everyone and how security is paramount for everybody "whether you're a big business or mom and dad" (8 mins 56 secs in):

Link:

Ok, so you're STILL not convinced? (really?? ugh....)

David Kleidermacher then said that it's a "misconception that android is less secure than iOS" and went on to say this (15 mins 43 secs in):

He then bashes Apple and says "It took about 3 months for them to be corrected!" - "this is why zero day patching is so important".

Then, for any idiots who still think: "Oh I wont be hacked because I missed a single update, it's fine. Blackberry are still cool"

Alex Thurber jumps in and says "Blackberry are committed to zero-day patching and we push those for every device all over the world (16 mins 10 secs in)"

In short: We were promised zero-day patching. There's no possible excuse that can be made. Blackberry let us down. And I say this as a Blackberry fan. What are Blackberry haters going to say? What will Samsung or Apple users say? It's a disgrace this was allowed to happen.

And Blackberry call themselves a software company? Are you kidding me?? Chen needs to be fired. Blackberry need to quit making promises they don't keep. I honestly think unless some serious changes happen, Blackberry will STILL be redundant in the mobile market.

How anyone can defend Blackberry after their broken promise and hype is beyond me. Are you being paid by Blackberry?? I'm saying this as someone who owned a Blackberry Bold (forget which number), a BB Classic, 2x DTEK 50's and now I currently have a 9320 as a backup phone. I'm not afraid to call out Blackberry and not be a mindless fanboy. I bought 2x DTEK50's based on their claims and promises and i'm hacked off (no pun intended) that I paid good money for them, only to not get the zero day patching that they promised. Rant /
    Well said!
    Wmsi likes this.
    12-30-16 09:57 PM
    I agree that nothing is unhackable that is connected to a Network. What phone are you getting now?
    I use an iPhone SE and a Moto G on cyanogenmod as backup. Also have a 9320 for backup but it's sluggish and horrible to use.

Here's something else I found disgraceful. Guess what patch level my Moto G is on? December.... cyanogenmod actually kept my device better patched than Blackberry who promised zero day patching!! LOL
    12-31-16 04:22 AM
    I use an iPhone SE and a Moto G on cyanogenmod as backup. Also have a 9320 for backup but it's sluggish and horrible to use.

Here's something else I found disgraceful. Guess what patch level my Moto G is on? December.... cyanogenmod actually kept my device better patched than Blackberry who promised zero day patching!! LOL
    I am sorry to hear your story.... but the problem I think is Mr. Chen and Co. How many years is he acting as CEO? Did BlackBerry title in Wall Street see any improvement? Did thr quality of the service improve? No....no....no..... this man is just lying!! He is really trying to save BlackBerry from bankruptcy, but in a non transparent way. I am wondering if BlackBerry is not firing him bcs of money....

Posted via CB10
    12-31-16 07:50 AM
    ^^^

I agree with you. I think Chen IS the problem. He was tasked with turning Blackberry around, yet he has driven Blackberry further into the abyss. They're now a software company who have made big promises and broken them within 3 months of making them. Chen is going to destroy Blackberry. But then, Alex and co are destroying Blackberry too. The point being: a corporation promising security/zero-day patching have to live up to their promise or their reputation will sink.

Look at Cyanogenmod - they didn't promise the latest patches - but users still got them and their public perception is great. And Cyanogenmod is going to live on through Lineage OS.

What Blackberry have failed to realise is that it's all about public perception..... If you make big promises, you HAVE to stick to them. If you don't, you're going to plummet. It's as simple as that unfortunately.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-31-16 12:09 PM
    ^^^

I agree with you. I think Chen IS the problem. He was tasked with turning Blackberry around, yet he has driven Blackberry further into the abyss. They're now a software company who have made big promises and broken them within 3 months of making them. Chen is going to destroy Blackberry. But then, Alex and co are destroying Blackberry too. The point being: a corporation promising security/zero-day patching have to live up to their promise or their reputation will sink.

Look at Cyanogenmod - they didn't promise the latest patches - but users still got them and their public perception is great. And Cyanogenmod is going to live on through Lineage OS.

What Blackberry have failed to realise is that it's all about public perception..... If you make big promises, you HAVE to stick to them. If you don't, you're going to plummet. It's as simple as that unfortunately.
    Yup - the truth hurts.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    12-31-16 01:44 PM
    ^^^

On the other hand, it could be argued that the mere fact that BlackBerry is around in 2017 to underdeliver means that the turnaround from 2013 is going along; former companies can't make promises.
    12-31-16 01:46 PM
    That's a fair point. I'm on the verge of being anti-Blackberry. I used to be pro Blackberry but i've been let down so many times. As the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
    elfabio80 and Wmsi like this.
    12-31-16 02:00 PM
    That's a fair point. I'm on the verge of being anti-Blackberry. I used to be pro Blackberry but i've been let down so many times. As the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
    What boggles my mind - is how are they able to deliver the monthly patches to the other two phones and NOT the dtek50?

Quite obvious to me, as apparent with the software differences between the 50 and the two flagships, that it requires some additional or different effort in adding it for the dtek50.

One would think this should not be a problem for a "software company".

Anyway - it is and should be a blow to anybody's confidence in BlackBerry and any of their software products. In terms of enterprise.

In terms of the general consumer this doesn't change anything - and I doubt TCL can do anything to revive the brand. More like give the fanboys (myself included admittedly) a few more devices for say - i'll give them one year - until TCL realizes they're losing money on this venture and probably makes more money with Alcatel - some cheap chinese branded phone LMAO!

elfabio80 likes this.
    12-31-16 02:30 PM
    My son's new £160 Moto G4 is on the December security patch. My £280 BlackBerry DTEK 50 is still on the November patch.

Screen and battery is better too.

Lesson learnt.
    sidtek50 likes this.
    01-01-17 07:21 AM
    My son's new £160 Moto G4 is on the December security patch. My £280 BlackBerry DTEK 50 is still on the November patch.

Lesson learnt.
    Lucky you found one for that cheap. We get a crappy version in Canada with only 2gb of RAM. I considered that phone but I also considered Lenovo (owns Motorola) and their laptopgate recently....
    01-01-17 11:02 AM

Lesson learnt.
    The majority of the mid range phones the dtek50 was meant to compete with all had more or less, superior hardware - not to mention the camera which is a non issue as BlackBerry's by default have the worst ones in each of their product classes in which they compete.

The only thing the dtek50 had going for it was the software experience and the security advantage, both of which have already been proven to be let downs unfortunately.

Not even an acknowledgment by the executives too. Shame on them.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-17 11:19 AM
    Lucky you found one for that cheap. We get a crappy version in Canada with only 2gb of RAM. I considered that phone but I also considered Lenovo (owns Motorola) and their laptopgate recently....
    The G4 Play was $139 CAD at Best Buy recently...

Posted via CB10
    01-01-17 11:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    Though the G4 Play, apart from battery size, has inferior specs pretty much down the line compared to the DTEK50.

At $429 Canadian I thought the DTEK50 was over priced compared to many of its Android peers. At $299 I think it's competitively priced.

As a midrange phone, I don't have a problem with the 50 being a month or so behind in getting security patches. BlackBerry should be more transparent about this however.
    01-01-17 01:50 PM
    Though the G4 Play, apart from battery size, has inferior specs pretty much down the line compared to the DTEK50.

At $429 Canadian I thought the DTEK50 was over priced compared to many of its Android peers. At $299 I think it's competitively priced.

As a midrange phone, I don't have a problem with the 50 being a month or so behind in getting security patches. BlackBerry should be more transparent about this however.
    I totally understand what you're saying, however, Blackberry went out of their way to market it as "the most secure android in the world". They promised zero-day patching and called phones without zero-day patching "inferior". Some customers only bought the device based on these claims (I know I did). They then had the nerve to bash Apple for taking 3 months to update software.

imho they shot themselves in the foot with all their promises. As the other poster said - how they've managed to support the Priv ahead of the DTEK50 is beyond me. You can't bash a company like Apple, then go and do the exact same thing you've just bashed them for.... it tells me that Blackberry's leadership is all but broken. Again: Chen HAS to go.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-01-17 03:05 PM

Sure. But at $325 taxes in the dtek50 is double the price roughly.

But since we're on the line of thought re: specs to price, lets look at what's available.

Now let's look at the galaxy S7. It can be had for $530 taxes included. Slightly less than double the price of the dtek50.

It is more than double the phone than the dtek50 is on all fronts.

Even the galaxy s6 is cheaper than the dtek50 and while it is a year older, is still superior to it specs and hardware wise. The LG G4 can be had for even less, under $200. Also a year older but years ahead of the dtek50.

Even more so, the Priv is $399 if you happen to be a BlackBerry fanboy.

In my view, and evidently in BlackBerry's view as well based on their lack of commitment to it, it is their most irrelevant release to date.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-17 04:03 PM
    ^Curious us as to where you are getting your pricing information. A new Galaxy S7 for $530 Canadian including taxes? Where?
    01-01-17 05:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh right, that's the crappy one. Moto z play is the in between g4 plus and z
    01-01-17 07:39 PM
    ^Curious us as to where you are getting your pricing information. A new Galaxy S7 for $530 Canadian including taxes? Where?
    Haha exactly. I'll take 6
    01-01-17 07:41 PM
    Here's a comparison of the dtek50 and g4 play. G4 play has a much much lower specs

http://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i...&idPhone2=8104

Notice the 8gbrom and 1gbram among many other things
    01-01-17 10:46 PM
    The Samsung store - it was $720 minus $150 sale plus a trade in promotion to minus another $230 minimum. Newer phones got $295. Plus a free Gear Fit 2.

In early December you also got a Gear VR, Gear Fit 2, $150 off, plus trade in promo so all that for $560 or so taxes in. Downtown Toronto locations.

Expect to see it discounted even more or consistently once the S8 launches.

The S7 and S7 Edge will still be a better purchase than any of the BlackBerry phones, dtek60 included (I've already handled it in person in new york) if you factor the discounts that have become common place.

Only advantage of the dtek60 is the software and security if that's what you want in your phone, but hardware wise there's no point in comparison. It's TCL, the Idol 4 phones were cheap for a reason.

The dtek60 feels nicer than any other current BlackBerry android, but not more so than say their passport or Z30 when it was at its zenith.

The dtek60 would be a good buy at $399 cad, like the Priv. At mrsp it's a rip off, unless you value the BlackBerry sauce - which I will admit is legitmate for some people, and I respect that.

But if people want to do hartdware to hardware and price comparisons, don't kid yourselves. BlackBerry's hardware divison is dead for a reason.

I think the only reason TCL took the deal - was to leverage the BlackBerry brand for enterprise in their home market, China. But to revive the brand in Europe and North America? It'll take a miracle.

01-02-17 02:05 PM
    The Samsung store - it was $720 minus $150 sale plus a trade in promotion to minus another $230 minimum. Newer phones got $295. Plus a free Gear Fit 2.

In early December you also got a Gear VR, Gear Fit 2, $150 off, plus trade in promo so all that for $560 or so taxes in. Downtown Toronto locations.

Expect to see it discounted even more or consistently once the S8 launches.

The S7 and S7 Edge will still be a better purchase than any of the BlackBerry phones, dtek60 included (I've already handled it in person in new york) if you factor the discounts that have become common place.

Only advantage of the dtek60 is the software and security if that's what you want in your phone, but hardware wise there's no point in comparison. It's TCL, the Idol 4 phones were cheap for a reason.

The dtek60 feels nicer than any other current BlackBerry android, but not more so than say their passport or Z30 when it was at its zenith.

The dtek60 would be a good buy at $399 cad, like the Priv. At mrsp it's a rip off, unless you value the BlackBerry sauce - which I will admit is legitmate for some people, and I respect that.

But if people want to do hartdware to hardware and price comparisons, don't kid yourselves. BlackBerry's hardware divison is dead for a reason.

I think the only reason TCL took the deal - was to leverage the BlackBerry brand for enterprise in their home market, China. But to revive the brand in Europe and North America? It'll take a miracle.

Lol we already went over this a few times. It's only at Samsung stores and there aren't many in Canada. You are also assuming max trade in value. You would maybe get that with a mint s6. With a bb classic you would be lucky to get 20$ lol

And when did you have a 60? You said you had a 50 and returned it. So wierd
    01-02-17 03:11 PM
    Have any DTEK50 owners had the December update? I believe some have. If so, then what I do not understand is why some do and others do not.
    01-02-17 04:34 PM
259 ... 34567 ...