As today is the 5th of December I'm wondering why my DTEK50 is on the 5th of October security patch.

Purchased unlocked from Clove in the UK.

I was expecting faster updates than this
    12-05-16 04:36 AM
    still coming from BlackBerry, no?
    12-05-16 05:29 AM
    Who knows
    12-05-16 05:34 AM
    Who knows
    Maybe santa is bringing it !
    big_time2 likes this.
    12-05-16 07:47 AM
    This must be a bad joke?

Wasn't the dtek50 their "most secure android" offering to the world?

What happened to day zero patching?

#whatisclassic
    big_time2 and Q10Bold like this.
    12-05-16 08:00 AM
    I would tweet BlackBerry ask them
    12-05-16 08:51 AM
    This must be a bad joke?

Wasn't the dtek50 their "most secure android" offering to the world?

What happened to day zero patching?

#whatisclassic
    Well, their DTEK60 is now so...

Though, it is weird that this is OP's experience, because I think the Priv is actually getting December updates now.
    big_time2 likes this.
    12-05-16 08:56 AM
    Turns out that Android vulnerabilities aren't such a big deal after all ... eh
    big_time2 and hubbie like this.
    12-05-16 09:03 AM
    How are other DTEK 50's out there doing? Got any updates in the last 2 months?
    12-05-16 09:31 AM
    Nope. Mine, from B&H is also running the October 5th update.

Posted via CB10
    big_time2 likes this.
    12-05-16 09:34 AM
    I cancelled my dtek50 order loll

What's the point man - that was honestly the biggest selling point to me.

SMH

#whatisclassic
    big_time2 likes this.
    12-05-16 10:27 AM
    Nope. Mine is Shop BlackBerry 50 purchased at launch. Still running October patch.
    big_time2 likes this.
    12-05-16 11:13 AM
    Beta release for Dtek50 today, just wait about a week or 2 and you should get an update.

Z30 10.3.2.2639
    12-05-16 01:50 PM
    For November or December?
    12-05-16 01:52 PM
    Has everyone tried the checkin method?

Type *#*#checkin#*#* into phone dialer then check for updates after.
    12-05-16 01:59 PM
    46.3mb beta update has been released,
    Well, better than nothing
    12-05-16 02:01 PM
    I cancelled my dtek50 order loll

What's the point man - that was honestly the biggest selling point to me.

SMH

#whatisclassic
    Your biggest selling point was getting security updates which have no effect on your actual usability ? You realize almost all other android devices get none of these right...?

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-05-16 03:47 PM
    EVODEV069 has a VERY fair point... I came back just to check how the DTEK50 was doing and i'm not even shocked. When I had my DTEK50 from launch, I wasn't overly impressed with it (horrific battery life etc). Battery life improved slightly but it wasn't enough to keep it.

I bought TWO DTEK50 devices (one for me and one for a family member). I also bought them based on Blackberry's promise to get updates out ASAP. Unfortunately, they missed an update by a week or two (can't remember now) and at the time, all of my colleagues were laughing their *** off that within 3 months of launch, Blackberry had failed to deliver on time. And reading this....two months behind security updates. That's just foul. It really is disgraceful.

I could understand if Blackberry just said: "you will get security updates" but they marketed this as "the most secure android device in the world". I had a debate with a fellow CrackBerry member and when it came down to it, the DTEK50 was not significantly more secure than any other android. In fact, it may be less secure because parts of the DTEK50 aren't open-sourced anyway...

But I digress. It's just a shame to see people have spend their hard-earned cash on this phone and it hasn't delivered.
    big_time2 likes this.
    12-05-16 03:55 PM
    EVODEV069 has a VERY fair point... I came back just to check how the DTEK50 was doing and i'm not even shocked. When I had my DTEK50 from launch, I wasn't overly impressed with it (horrific battery life etc). Battery life improved slightly but it wasn't enough to keep it.

I bought TWO DTEK50 devices (one for me and one for a family member). I also bought them based on Blackberry's promise to get updates out ASAP. Unfortunately, they missed an update by a week or two (can't remember now) and at the time, all of my colleagues were laughing their *** off that within 3 months of launch, Blackberry had failed to deliver on time. And reading this....two months behind security updates. That's just foul. It really is disgraceful.

I could understand if Blackberry just said: "you will get security updates" but they marketed this as "the most secure android device in the world". I had a debate with a fellow CrackBerry member and when it came down to it, the DTEK50 was not significantly more secure than any other android. In fact, it may be less secure because parts of the DTEK50 aren't open-sourced anyway...

But I digress. It's just a shame to see people have spend their hard-earned cash on this phone and it hasn't delivered.
    I love mine. Not sure if you are aware but the pixel was hacked in 60 seconds. No one has hacked into a dtek or priv yet. It's one thing to have constructive criticism but lots are enjoying their dtek50's I had one, sold it in hopes of a bf deal on the 60. Didn't work out so got 2 more 50's. They are great and the batter life is awesome if I don't play games for hours. Also doesn't have a cheesy interface like the honor or axon does
    CerveloJohn and Ethynil like this.
    12-05-16 04:45 PM
    It's a shame there was no update for November, I agree.

However, and I realize this is nothing to brag about, most other phones will never get any updates at all. At least we got September and October updates since the phone was released. There are phones out there that cost a whole lot more than DTEK50 did, but never got any updates and are not likely to get any updates ever.
    Ethynil likes this.
    12-05-16 05:37 PM
    LOL man you guys are something else

Go back and watch the launch webcast for the dtek50.

Their main selling point was security and they highlighted three key features that separated their phones from others.

1. Hardware root of trust
    2. Hardened kernel
    3. Zero day patching

I realize that other phones other than google phones do not even get these updates...

But I don't think it is acceptable at all - AT ALL - for them to say they're a software company and then leave the dtek50 behind like this.

The Priv and Dtek60 has been receiving the updates presumably the same time google does right? That's what BlackBerry claimed they would do.

How the hell does the dtek50 being 2 months behind seem acceptable loll SMH

Yes, I realize the security updates are not critical per se - but i'm more irked by their "most secure" claims as exemplified by their "holy trinity" of points noted above, and then see the 50 be late...that's a huge huge let down in confidence for me. The 50 only launched in august too and they've left it behind...

I don't think people understand it was BlackBerry that kept saying "day zero patching" over and over again...if you can't see the recent blunder of the 50 as a bad sign then that's good for you, but damn...SMH.

Shame on you BlackBerry.

#whatisclassic
    12-05-16 06:48 PM
    I honestly will not be surprised if by end of 2017 there will be no more phone support at all.

The dtek50 probably sold worse than the Priv - I'm assuming the 60 with no carrier support will be the worst selling BlackBerry phone in their history - despite it being probably one of their best phones to date.

Their phones and OS got better and better but their sales got worse and worse...

If no one uses it, I guess it isn't important to get those updates out.

#whatisclassic
    big_time2, andy957 and Q10Bold like this.
    12-05-16 06:54 PM
    Just got December update today.
    big_time2 likes this.
    12-05-16 07:15 PM
    Updating right now on mine. This is an awesome phone ,BTW
    big_time2 and playbookster like this.
    12-05-16 08:30 PM
    Turns out that Android vulnerabilities aren't such a big deal after all ... eh
    Well, actually, they are BUT ..... There will be a new vulnerability the day after the fix and another a day or two later and then some more a week into the new month, well, you get the picture. They can't keep up so why try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did get the Dec fix the other day on my ShopBB Priv (tmobile sim). My Verizon Priv sits where it is with the Oct fix issued along with the (finally) OS update in early Nov.
    12-05-16 08:34 PM
259 123 ...