I finally threw in the towel and sending this one back.

T-Mobile will not provide full network access to this device. Seems band 12 access and VoLTE is reserved for only "Whitelisted" phones, WFC included.

I'm really impressed with the phone's capabilities/ performance at this price point. Something I could pass out to the crew and save the Flagship for Dad (although I could make this a daily driver)

The RMA process has started and runs about 4 to 5 business days.

A Call to Action by BB & TMO to stop this process before its return (assuming they watch the boards)

If the hardware and software is truly ready to go out of the box, then TMO needs to "flip the switch"

BB needs to offer T-Mobile a piece of the pie for every DTEK50 provisioned on T-Mobiles network.

Just "get er done"
    08-15-16 04:45 PM
    If you're on Twitter, tweet @JohnLegere, @JohnChen and maybe @SievertMike (TMO's COO) and @TmoNews as well. Reference the TMONews article if you'd like, but IDK what it would get done considering it's from an unnamed BlackBerry source.

TMO either needs to pick this phone up for distribution or whitelist it for IMS services. Band 12 may not actually be down on this phone, but if it works, who knows...they may pressure BB to disable it with a software "update" like they did Motorola.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-15-16 05:20 PM
    If you're on Twitter, tweet @JohnLegere, @JohnChen and maybe @SievertMike (TMO's COO) and @TmoNews as well. Reference the TMONews article if you'd like, but IDK what it would get done considering it's from an unnamed BlackBerry source.

TMO either needs to pick this phone up for distribution or whitelist it for IMS services. Band 12 may not actually be down on this phone, but if it works, who knows...they may pressure BB to disable it with a software "update" like they did Motorola.
    Blackberry PRIV had support for VoLTE, WiFi Calling and Band 12 few months before T-Mobile even started selling PRIV. It is just strange that Dtek50 doesn't support it out of the box. I will try to send message to T-Mobile on facebook
    08-15-16 05:45 PM
    Just got a reply from T-Mobile on facebook and they said that Dtek50 isn't sold through T-Mobile and I need to contact Blackberry support for answers.

First it didn't include finger print sensor, but I thought at least it has picture password, but turned out, it doesn't! Then I believed that VoLTE, WiFi Calling and Band 12 would be enabled as they do on PRIV, but looks like this too, isn't there. I don't know what am I going to do with this phone?! I am at work, but looks like UPS already delivered my phone. I will triple check all features and if I won't find them, the phone goes back. If Blackberry wants to comeback successfully they need to make sure that above features are supported!
    08-15-16 06:11 PM
    Then I believed that VoLTE, WiFi Calling and Band 12 would be enabled as they do on PRIV, but looks like this too, isn't there. I don't know what am I going to do with this phone?! I am at work, but looks like UPS already delivered my phone. I will triple check all features and if I won't find them, the phone goes back. If Blackberry wants to comeback successfully they need to make sure that above features are supported!
    You should buy based on what you know you will get, not what you think/hope you will get. WFC and voLTE were never advertised by BB. The only reference to them was that TMONews article, and even that quoted a "BB employee" as saying that they'd be supported on the phone, which is not the same as saying that they'll be present on day 1. The Priv was sold by TMO, and in lieu of the eventual carriage, they may have had BB whitelist Privs right around release.

Don't bother opening anything--WFC and voLTE aren't there. And that's squarely on TMO. Maybe they will come, maybe they won't. If they don't it won't be the first time the "Uncarrier" would have done this.
    CerveloJohn and Mecca EL like this.
    08-15-16 07:03 PM
    I bought the DTEK50 on release from BlackBerry and activated on TMO as soon as I received it. Just took the SIM out of my Passport SE and popped it in my DTEK50. Maybe it doesn't have VOLTE or WFC, but I certainly haven't noticed. Calls are very clear, haven't dropped a single one yet, works fine with bluetooth, the device operates just fine in all areas so far and I've had zero issues on TMO in South FL and NYC and all points in between. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Mecca EL and sparkybob like this.
    08-15-16 08:58 PM
    Glad to hear you have good call quality. For me, WFC is only needed occasionally in the US, abroad though its a lifesaver. Band 12 700MHz is required for some of the remote areas I travel in with the Scouts.

If the calls are 4G LTE then band 12 should work.

When your on a call does it show LTE or drop down to 3G?
    08-15-16 09:14 PM
    You should buy based on what you know you will get, not what you think/hope you will get. WFC and voLTE were never advertised by BB. The only reference to them was that TMONews article, and even that quoted a "BB employee" as saying that they'd be supported on the phone, which is not the same as saying that they'll be present on day 1. The Priv was sold by TMO, and in lieu of the eventual carriage, they may have had BB whitelist Privs right around release.

Don't bother opening anything--WFC and voLTE aren't there. And that's squarely on TMO. Maybe they will come, maybe they won't. If they don't it won't be the first time the "Uncarrier" would have done this.
    Yes, I agree...unfortunately it isn't the first time. At least there is 30 day return policy and to be honest, I won't keep the phone if it won't support above mentioned features. I do remember when I bought Nexus 5x, it didn't support any of these features but there were some info from google or such that these features will come later. I will give a call to Blackberry and see what they have to say.
    08-15-16 09:16 PM
    After reading Raino's caution back on the T-Mo forum, I knew what I was possibly getting into. My Z10 is, and will likely remain, by main squeeze. But, WFC is a 100% must have for me. But, hoping T-Mo will be as cool with this Android as they were with all the BB10 devices.
    08-15-16 09:40 PM
    Just got a reply from T-Mobile on facebook and they said that Dtek50 isn't sold through T-Mobile and I need to contact Blackberry support for answers.

First it didn't include finger print sensor, but I thought at least it has picture password, but turned out, it doesn't! Then I believed that VoLTE, WiFi Calling and Band 12 would be enabled as they do on PRIV, but looks like this too, isn't there. I don't know what am I going to do with this phone?! I am at work, but looks like UPS already delivered my phone. I will triple check all features and if I won't find them, the phone goes back. If Blackberry wants to comeback successfully they need to make sure that above features are supported!
    That's TMO BS. The phone has band 12. They don't want you. It's how they do.

For a failing company they sure are uppity.

08-15-16 10:26 PM
    Yes, I agree...unfortunately it isn't the first time. At least there is 30 day return policy and to be honest, I won't keep the phone if it won't support above mentioned features. I do remember when I bought Nexus 5x, it didn't support any of these features but there were some info from google or such that these features will come later. I will give a call to Blackberry and see what they have to say.
    You have absolutely every right to return the phone within the returns window. If you call ShopBlackBerry, take everything the person answering says with a grain of salt; it's unlikely they would know much about TMO's technical decisionmaking.
    08-15-16 10:48 PM
    Do you guys know how many updates did Dtek50 get since launch? After receiving my phone today, it prompted me to install 100+ MB out of the box update. Were there any other?
    08-15-16 11:34 PM
    You have absolutely every right to return the phone within the returns window. If you call ShopBlackBerry, take everything the person answering says with a grain of salt; it's unlikely they would know much about TMO's technical decisionmaking.
    I called them, but support line is closed for today. Will try tomorrow from work and write back.
    08-15-16 11:35 PM
    FYI - My phone connects to Band 12, but of course as soon as I make a call it reverts back to 3G.
    08-16-16 11:39 AM
    FYI - My phone connects to Band 12, but of course as soon as I make a call it reverts back to 3G.
    Right. That's the classic indicator of no voLTE.

But how did you figure out that your phone is connected to band 12 and not band 2/4?
    08-16-16 11:41 AM
    Right. That's the classic indicator of no voLTE.

But how did you figure out that your phone is connected to band 12 and not band 2/4?
    I use LTE Discovery app for couple of years.
    08-16-16 11:44 AM
    Question, is there 3G calling on band 12, if so thats better than nothing and still be able to call in remote areas?

Might hang on to it!
    08-16-16 12:12 PM
    I use LTE Discovery app for couple of years.
    Got it. Usually band 12 isn't very easy to connect to if there's a band 2 or 4 LTE network around.

Could be a good sign, I guess. Or TMO could "convince" BB to disable it, like they did Motorola.

Question, is there 3G calling on band 12, if so thats better than nothing and still be able to call in remote areas?
    No. 700 MHz is an LTE-only network. There are no equivalent UMTS or GSM networks.
    08-16-16 12:15 PM
    Thanks, I'm trying to convince myself to keep it... Have RMA in hand..
    08-16-16 12:19 PM
    Thanks, I'm trying to convince myself to keep it... Have RMA in hand..
    I just called Blackberry and they said at the moment there is no support for VoLTE, WiFi Calling or Band 12. It "might" come in the future. Agent said if there are many users that will be concerned about these features, then Blackberry might work with T-Mobile on this. I will wait a day or 2 until I get more news and August security patch and see if anything changed, if not, the device is going back and I will keep using Galaxy S7
    08-16-16 12:45 PM
    Got it. Usually band 12 isn't very easy to connect to if there's a band 2 or 4 LTE network around.

Could be a good sign, I guess. Or TMO could "convince" BB to disable it, like they did Motorola.

No. 700 MHz is an LTE-only network. There are no equivalent UMTS or GSM networks.
    In the garage of my work, at the beginning when I enter it, Band 4 is present, but fades as I walk deeper/farther and then Band 12 kicks in. Also in my office, there is Band 4, but the signal is weak(-120 db) and phones that support Band 12, connect to 12 and give me 4 or 5 bars So I need this Dtek50 to do just that at the least.
    08-16-16 12:49 PM
    I just called Blackberry and they said at the moment there is no support for VoLTE, WiFi Calling or Band 12. It "might" come in the future. Agent said if there are many users that will be concerned about these features, then Blackberry might work with T-Mobile on this. I will wait a day or 2 until I get more news and August security patch and see if anything changed, if not, the device is going back and I will keep using Galaxy S7
    Might work with T-Mobile....

Let see, no US Carrier has picked up the phone, phone won't work with two of the US Carriers that have CDMA networks.... Not really sure what at this point BlackBerry would be waiting on to "work" with T-Mobile to allow WiFi Calling?

If it doesn't have it now... it probably never will.
    08-16-16 02:03 PM
    Might work with T-Mobile....

Let see, no US Carrier has picked up the phone, phone won't work with two of the US Carriers that have CDMA networks.... Not really sure what at this point BlackBerry would be waiting on to "work" with T-Mobile to allow WiFi Calling?

If it doesn't have it now... it probably never will.
    Since there is no guarantee that is why I am planning to return the device - without these features, I don't need another phone. When HTC A9 was about to be released, one of the officials of HTC(don't remember who) confirmed that unlocked A9 would support VoLTE, WiFi calling...on T-Mobile. I know that T-Mobile doesn't sell A9, but still HTC cared to make it work. Don't know why Blackberry isn't making it happen.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Fyx6tlKe
    08-16-16 02:11 PM
    I spoke with T-Mobile CSR Donny and he actually quoted TMO News article when he said WFC would "work" on their network. He said just pop your sim in from your Priv and it will work...
    08-16-16 03:01 PM
    Let me know if that works? If so I'll have to run over to T-Mobile to provision the SIM on a PRIV device, if they have any...
    08-16-16 03:03 PM
109 123 ...