I had my wife move to android dtek50, as I thought she might like it. She sends me a msg that she is using all her data. She has 1g and I have 2g. plan. With the z10 she was using 250mb on a high month. I checked the data and sure enough she is now over. She was at 950 and today it is 1.4g I looked at the usage and seen its pictures using it all. She has shared like 20 with bbm and texting. couple with snap chat but those apps show almost no usage. I thought then maybe it was because I have it set to backup her photos to google pictures cloud but when I looked at the setting in there I see nothing that allows backup over cell network unless I am missing something. Her use of the phone might be slightly more then the z10 but that is only because she went to visit family. photos shows 775 mb and next is fb with 75mb. I know something is wrong and I'm pretty sure it is uploading pics as she takes them straight to google, at least that is my suspition . Thanks
    06-27-17 11:09 AM
    I had my wife move to android dtek50, as I thought she might like it. She sends me a msg that she is using all her data. She has 1g and I have 2g. plan. With the z10 she was using 250mb on a high month. I checked the data and sure enough she is now over. She was at 950 and today it is 1.4g I looked at the usage and seen its pictures using it all. She has shared like 20 with bbm and texting. couple with snap chat but those apps show almost no usage. I thought then maybe it was because I have it set to backup her photos to google pictures cloud but when I looked at the setting in there I see nothing that allows backup over cell network unless I am missing something. Her use of the phone might be slightly more then the z10 but that is only because she went to visit family. photos shows 775 mb and next is fb with 75mb. I know something is wrong and I'm pretty sure it is uploading pics as she takes them straight to google, at least that is my suspition . Thanks
    Easy to tell if it is - take a picture without WiFi, open Photos and see if it shows a notification at the top that says Waiting for Wi-Fi or a grey cloud with a checkmark.

This is what you want to see on cellular data with backup disabled.

some help with data management-screenshot_2017-06-27-11-55-38.png

This is what you don't want to see unless you're on WiFi.

some help with data management-screenshot_2017-06-27-11-56-19.png

Something is definitely not right though, I've got photos going out and coming in all day long and Photos says its data usage is only 7.5MB for the last 30 days.
    06-27-17 01:27 PM
    I did some testing myself and seems everything is set to upload only on WiFi. Also see what you showed me in the pics. and that seems all good as well. So still a mystery to me as to why the photos shows so much data being used. I'm new to the android stuff so still working my way around settings and what not.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-17 02:44 PM
    Go into settings. Apps. Disable Google photos. Monitor for a day
    06-28-17 07:50 PM
    Simple answer. bbZ10 (which I owned and loved) ran on bb10 os and used compressed data for everything. Switching to dtek50 (which I also did) that same amount of "phone usage" will hugely increase data usage because it's now running through Android.
    07-02-17 08:22 PM
    It is what it is
    07-02-17 08:22 PM
    Simple answer. bbZ10 (which I owned and loved) ran on bb10 os and used compressed data for everything. Switching to dtek50 (which I also did) that same amount of "phone usage" will hugely increase data usage because it's now running through Android.
    This is incorrect. BB10 uses the same networks as Android and iOS, and data is not compressed. Only BBOS data was compressed because it used BIS or BES.
    NightFire likes this.
    07-02-17 08:32 PM
    I don't think that's accurate. I've heard that from many sources and I used my z10 for 3 years and never went over 3gb, first month on my dtek50 using it the same way, jumped to 7gb of usage
    07-02-17 08:36 PM
    I don't think that's accurate. I've heard that from many sources and I used my z10 for 3 years and never went over 3gb, first month on my dtek50 using it the same way, jumped to 7gb of usage
    That's accurate. There is no data compression with BB10. It benefits from having little to no apps running in the background where Android allows most apps to run unless otherwise specified. So Android showing more data being used is a result of more apps being downloaded and having them constantly updated.

That being said, I have almost 3 times as many apps on my G6 than I do on my Z10, and I'm using roughly the same amount of data. So, check settings everywhere. Also, try this: GlassWire - Data Usage Privacy - I use it to monitor mobile data usage. Works for WiFi as well.

some help with data management-screenshot_2017-07-02-19-49-37.jpg

some help with data management-screenshot_2017-07-02-19-54-20.jpg
    NightFire likes this.
    07-02-17 08:55 PM
    My bb10 (z10, q10, z30) transitioned to dtek50 data didn't change.
    Battery on dtek50 is better than z10 though. (Not better than z30).
    When I worked for BlackBerry and we went in training for bb10 we were educated that because it does not go through bis it is not compressed. You can take your bb10 sim and put it in your dtek50 and it just works because there is not special bis plan
    NightFire likes this.
    07-04-17 08:32 PM
    What the others are saying is true. I realized that on my second day of having a BB10 (from BIS)--not exaggerating.

I would check settings in the Play Store. I set mine to not auto update because it pulled massive chunks of data. Facebook is also a data hog.

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    07-06-17 04:26 AM