I'm not sure if I understand the Smartlock feature correctly.

Presently my screen is unlocked via a PIN: enter a few digits and I'm good to go. The "OK Google" feature is enabled on the DTEK50 and that works as well too.

Now here's where I'm confused: Under Security Settings --> Smart Lock there's a 'Trusted Voice' option that's supposed to unlock the device by voice recognition. I've configured it accordingly (Say Google any time: On; Trusted Voice: On; voice model has been trained and retrained) but when I say "Ok Google" I'm still prompted to enter my PIN to unlock the screen.

And that's what I don't get: shouldn't voice recognition unlock the screen directly and nullify PIN entry, that is, say "Ok Google" and I'm in?
    09-19-17 09:38 AM
    My DTEK50 will unlock the lock screen when I say OK Google, when the lock screen is displayed. It will not unlock the phone if the screen is black (sleep mode).

I suspect you may have to add a few more parameters to your smartlock settings such as Trusted Places and/or On Body Detection in addition to the Trusted Voice for OK Google unlock to work properly.

With these parameters set on my DTEK50, if I lock the device manually, using the lock screen shortcut (Widgets | Shortcuts) OK Google requires my lock screen PIN, but once the lock screen pin has been entered, and with On Body and Trusted Places enabled, OK Google overrides the Lock Screen PIN.
    09-22-17 09:24 AM
    I use trusted face and it works good. I dont use Google voice.
    Are you required to use your pin or to slide to unlock ?
    09-22-17 09:29 AM
    If you have any Enterprise email accounts added, it will require your pin
    09-22-17 12:18 PM
    My DTEK50 will unlock the lock screen when I say OK Google, when the lock screen is displayed. It will not unlock the phone if the screen is black (sleep mode).

I suspect you may have to add a few more parameters to your smartlock settings such as Trusted Places and/or On Body Detection in addition to the Trusted Voice for OK Google unlock to work properly.

With these parameters set on my DTEK50, if I lock the device manually, using the lock screen shortcut (Widgets | Shortcuts) OK Google requires my lock screen PIN, but once the lock screen pin has been entered, and with On Body and Trusted Places enabled, OK Google overrides the Lock Screen PIN.

Thanks for the insight (everyone). I've further experimented with the smartlock parameters and have achieved success.

I can corroborate that manually locking the screen with the shortcut widget will NOT be circumvented by 'OK Google ', PIN entry is still required.

I've configured the power button to lock the screen and when I do indeed lock the screen by that method then, yes, voice recognition does automatically unlock the device and allow access (without requiring a PIN).

As for the other smartlock parameters, trusted face is disabled, so is trusted place (as I generally have the GPS off) while on-body detection is enabled.

I'm happy with the setup now: an instant tap of the power button locks the device and my voice unlocks it. The lock screen widget, by which I formerly locked the DTEK50, has been ditched.

Quirky behaviour, but it's mastered now. Thanks.
    Ethynil likes this.
    09-23-17 08:40 AM