I broke my screen and have to decide to repair that (and the audio jack) or replace the phone. Modernizing is so expensive compared to repairs, even with a used phone which I don't want to chance anyway, so I just need to know what advantage there is to getting a phone that can be updated.
    Put another way, what is vulnerable if I repair and merrily continue using the DTEK50 for another few years? I mean the common two year life cycle that's talked about doesn't mean the phone goes dead, plus I still get to control the app permissions, right? I rarely use it for calls and texts and I avoid cloud syncing, etc. It's mainly just a camera and a security blanket in case I'm lost in the woods and happen to be near a cell tower. And, yeah, I want the wifi as well for google searches, maps and checking e-mails as I travel.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    10-15-18 02:02 PM
    Android is pretty secure, as long as you don't download and install random apps outside of Google Play. You'll be fine.
    10-15-18 07:10 PM
    I broke my screen and have to decide to repair that (and the audio jack) or replace the phone. Modernizing is so expensive compared to repairs, even with a used phone which I don't want to chance anyway, so I just need to know what advantage there is to getting a phone that can be updated.
    Put another way, what is vulnerable if I repair and merrily continue using the DTEK50 for another few years? I mean the common two year life cycle that's talked about doesn't mean the phone goes dead, plus I still get to control the app permissions, right? I rarely use it for calls and texts and I avoid cloud syncing, etc. It's mainly just a camera and a security blanket in case I'm lost in the woods and happen to be near a cell tower. And, yeah, I want the wifi as well for google searches, maps and checking e-mails as I travel.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    BlackBerry Android has some extra security features that make it more resilient than regular Android.
    10-15-18 07:17 PM
    Android is pretty secure, as long as you don't download and install random apps outside of Google Play. You'll be fine.
    Thank you and thans Conite, but I am more interested in advice re this angle of questioning: "what is vulnerable if I repair and merrily continue using the DTEK50 for another few years? (considering patches have stopped)"
    10-15-18 08:28 PM
    Thank you and thans Conite, but I am more interested in advice re this angle of questioning: "what is vulnerable if I repair and merrily continue using the DTEK50 for another few years? (considering patches have stopped)"
    Holes will be discovered, but with the added resiliency of BlackBerry Android, sticking to sensible sources for apps, and staying away from nefarious websites, you should be in reasonable shape.
    10-15-18 08:37 PM
    Holes will be discovered, but with the added resiliency of BlackBerry Android, sticking to sensible sources for apps, and staying away from nefarious websites, you should be in reasonable shape.
    Given these holes and the number of people on older versions of Android worldwide, what is the real world risk really?
    10-15-18 09:05 PM
    Given these holes and the number of people on older versions of Android worldwide, what is the real world risk really?
    If you're looking for a number out of 100, I just don't have enough information.

You're perfectly safe until you suddenly aren't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    10-15-18 09:47 PM
    Not many real exploits for Android. Play store apps are scanned for malicious code, usually it's just adware.
    So far, Stagefright, Meltdown, and Heartbleed have been the only Android expoits I can think of.
    Friends send malicious code, or you install an infected app.
    Risk is very low, as you'd pretty much have to have evil friends or be trying to install infected apps. BB Android is hardened against these, too.

There are also Antivirus apps for Android that you can install to be sure you don't get infected after a very serious exploit is found.

You're at much higher risk of getting data leaked by a company like Facebook.
    10-15-18 09:50 PM
    Thank you for the useful information, everyone. So, correct me if I'm wrong with my summary:

Aside from the vulnerability of threats from sadistic third parties who might hack or steal from me, I should be able to use my DTEK50 for years to come, as long as I don't break it again or brick it, and as long as my software continues to be compatible with BB Android Marshmallow.

That may be obvious to many, and probably is a general statement regarding all such technological devices but I'm pretty thick, maybe just overwhelmed, when it comes to smart phones.

So, that conclusion allows me to make the economics-based decision to spend the $190, or less, for repairs rather than $350, or more, for a new or new-to-me phone, even though BB support is, probably, finished. That was where I needed the guidance, ie. would I be wasting repair money?

Thanks again!
    10-16-18 01:05 PM
    Thank you for the useful information, everyone. So, correct me if I'm wrong with my summary:

Aside from the vulnerability of threats from sadistic third parties who might hack or steal from me, I should be able to use my DTEK50 for years to come, as long as I don't break it again or brick it, and as long as my software continues to be compatible with BB Android Marshmallow.

That may be obvious to many, and probably is a general statement regarding all such technological devices but I'm pretty thick, maybe just overwhelmed, when it comes to smart phones.

So, that conclusion allows me to make the economics-based decision to spend the $190, or less, for repairs rather than $350, or more, for a new or new-to-me phone, even though BB support is, probably, finished. That was where I needed the guidance, ie. would I be wasting repair money?

Thanks again!
    Or you can get a brand new Nokia 6.1 for $229 with at least 2 years more support - which has Oreo and will at least get an upgrade to Pie. It's also faster, and has more storage.

BBMo are more interested in the physical keyboard market.
    10-16-18 02:23 PM
    Or you can get a brand new Nokia 6.1 for $229 with at least 2 years more support - which has Oreo and will at least get an upgrade to Pie. It's also faster, and has more storage.

BBMo are more interested in the physical keyboard market.
    I'm in Canada
    10-16-18 02:42 PM
    I'm in Canada
    Ah. Then $385 for the Nokia 6.1 changes the equation.
    10-16-18 02:49 PM
    The screen on the DTEK50 is a real bear to replace - the easier way to go about this is to move your internals into a chassis with a known good screen. JerryRigAnything has a good teardown vid on the 50.

Having said that I would just scan the marketplace forum here on CrackBerry for deals. There was a DTEK60 here a while ago for about $150US that would be an upgrade over your phone.
    10-17-18 01:34 PM
    The screen on the DTEK50 is a real bear to replace - the easier way to go about this is to move your internals into a chassis with a known good screen. JerryRigAnything has a good teardown vid on the 50.

Having said that I would just scan the marketplace forum here on CrackBerry for deals. There was a DTEK60 here a while ago for about $150US that would be an upgrade over your phone.
    I decided to not try a replacement on my own, or any other solutions like moving to another frame. I'd be more tempted if it was a higher end phone.

Can you provide links to "the marketplace forum"? I found Thrifter but couldn't find a way to search it. Other than that, I couldn't find any links.

Thanks, PantherBlitz
    10-18-18 04:22 PM
    Can you provide links to "the marketplace forum"?
    https://forums.crackberry.com/market...ell-trade-f14/
    10-18-18 05:03 PM