I'm now on my second dtek50 and for a second time the screen has randomly broke, today it was on the charge I went to use it and there was a fine crack at an angle across the phone and I can't unlock the screen, last time it was a perfect line horizontally across the centre of the screen.

Last time I sent the phone back and was told that the damage was self inflicted and I would have to pay to either repair the phone or pay to get it returned, I paid (£80/£100) to have it repaired, but instead I received a replacement phone, it was rubbish compared to my first, constant freezing and battery unpredictable.

What phone should I go for now? I did love my first dtek50 but the screens has put me off! Should I try the dtek60? Or leave BlackBerry altogether? Iv been loyal to BlackBerry for a long long time, but is it worth it anymore,?

Posted via CB10
    09-04-17 03:06 PM
    If you can't determine whether it's something particular to your daily routine that's causing random cracking, I'd recommend first getting a case if you're not using one or stronger case if you're already using one. Beyond that, you might want to invest in a Moto Z/Z2 Force with Shattershield™ technology (it's just plastic but anyway). It could be that the DTEK 50's Dragontrail glass isn't as strong as Gorilla Glass and a device with Gorilla Glass might do the trick, but aside from slight scratch resistance points they're basically the same.

Try a case or stronger case if you want to stay with the DTEK 50, that's going to be your least expensive option for now.
    09-04-17 03:55 PM
    First sorry to hear your frustrations. If I were going through what you are now I'd be going mad! I've had my DTEK50 now starting year 2 and it's been a workhorse. That said in all that time it's been protected by a screen protector and a case. It's been dropped many times including concrete floors without any damage. I won't say whether you should / shouldn't protect your phone ..that decision is yours. But after going through potentially 2 phones now it should definitely be on your radar now.

And I think to blame BlackBerry for your situation I think is unfair. You know it could happen with any phone. Bottom line is your next phone (hopefully BlackBerry) is protected.

Sent from my STH100-1 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-04-17 04:13 PM
    The annoying thing is the first one was in a flip case and had a tempered glass protector on, it was in my chest pocket of my boilersuit when it broke so possibly pressed against something, this time it is always been in a blackberry pouch/holster as I like the magnet turning the screen off.

I was using the phone when I put it on the charge and it was on my desk and when I picked it up it didn't work. It seems to be the touch screen that gives up as it's hardly possible to see the line in the screen.

My wife also has a DTEK 50, she dropped it 2 weeks ago and a car drove over it with the two wheels and it's working despite having loads of smashes up and down the screen.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-17 04:42 PM
    If you can't determine whether it's something particular to your daily routine that's causing random cracking, I'd recommend first getting a case if you're not using one or stronger case if you're already using one. Beyond that, you might want to invest in a Moto Z/Z2 Force with Shattershield™ technology (it's just plastic but anyway). It could be that the DTEK 50's Dragontrail glass isn't as strong as Gorilla Glass and a device with Gorilla Glass might do the trick, but aside from slight scratch resistance points they're basically the same.

Try a case or stronger case if you want to stay with the DTEK 50, that's going to be your least expensive option for now.
    I've been reading/seeing reports to that the Z2 force shattershield scratches very easily.
    09-04-17 07:00 PM
    I've been reading/seeing reports to that the Z2 force shattershield scratches very easily.
    It's plastic, so yeah.
    09-04-17 07:55 PM
    I have a question. The frame of the DTEK50 has glass protection also. It looks that only the frame glass is damaged and not the LCD screen. Is it possible to change only the frame, or do I need to change both, the frame and the screen? I am trying to see if I can do it myself. I have changed screens for Blackberry phones in the past. I know this one is way more complex. Do I also need to buy the glue to attach it at the end? THank you for your help guys!!
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-29-18 03:37 PM
    I have a question. The frame of the DTEK50 has glass protection also. It looks that only the frame glass is damaged and not the LCD screen. Is it possible to change only the frame, or do I need to change both, the frame and the screen? I am trying to see if I can do it myself. I have changed screens for Blackberry phones in the past. I know this one is way more complex. Do I also need to buy the glue to attach it at the end? THank you for your help guys!!
    Save your money and buy another device. The DTEK models aren't supported very good since it's seller, BlackBerry, technically, exited the hardware business.

Best sure your next device has at least 32GB of internal memory. 16GB of internal memory just won't do it going forward.
    04-29-18 03:47 PM