I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and it has been a great phone. Lately the call quality has deteriorated from the standpoint that people I speak to hear an echo. Since the phone is over 3 years old I have looked into replacing it. I am considering the DTEK 50 but don't know if the DTEK 50 is a downgrade, an upgrade or a lateral move. I don't need the best phone on the market but I do want good call quality and battery life.

Considering the DTEK 50 is on sale at BlackBerry for $229, is this a good replacement phone for my SSGN3?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bozanic; 04-29-17 at 11:34 PM.
    04-29-17 11:07 PM
    I ordered the DTEK50 today from shop BlackBerry. Based on what I read this phone will do what I need and it will a fine replacement for the Note 3.

Posted via CB10
    big_time2 likes this.
    05-01-17 01:07 AM
    I ordered the DTEK50 today from shop BlackBerry. Based on what I read this phone will do what I need and it will a fine replacement for the Note 3.

Posted via CB10
    It depends of tastes, but in my opinion BlackBerry made a good job with the dtek50. It is reliable, resistant, lightweight and got a bunch of amenities that makes it a real BlackBerry. I am really enjoying this "crossover" from my OS10 BlackBerry Passport to my first Android BlackBerry device. I have a Samsung too, but it is not about an upgrade or downgrade, it is about having a BlackBerry, with the BlackBerry Hub, BlackBerry messenger and it's built-in channels, BlackBerry dtek security app, and many others BlackBerry apps you have or can have with a bb, like BlackBerry shade.
    big_time2 likes this.
    05-01-17 03:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    Watch this demo: http://demos.blackberry.com/dtek50-b...-interface.mp4
    05-01-17 08:58 AM
    So after one week with the dtek50 and I have some mixed feelings. The phone itself is nice and I like the BlackBerry's android adaption. The one down side is battery life is very poor. Are there any ways to improve the battery life? I am not a heavy user.
    big_time2 likes this.
    05-11-17 11:22 PM
    I suppose it depends on what you consider as poor battery life and your interperation of a heavy users.

I am getting between 1 and 1.5 days out of my DTEK50. I have stopped any notifications except from the apps in the Hub and even with that its just the hub notifications not the app itself... by that I mean if I get an email I have disabled the email app from notifying me and set only to the hub, also disabled / uninstalled any apps I dont use.

I am a moderate user I would say, about 30 texts and maybe 15 emails per day, I have about 25 apps installed such as Crackberry, Android Central, Twitter etc, mainly news, blogs and social media... so reading stories more than posting, the odd Youtube video as well, also use my calander and task list constantly.

So I woud just suggest using the battery performance option to see if any apps are draining your battery, remove / disable anything you dont use or dont use frequently, but for me my battery seemed to drain when I had loads of apps notifying / updating in the background... I have done very little on my phone today, 7 calls and a couple of texts, updated 6 apps via the playstore and I have managed to stretch my battery to 2 days... but thats rare, 1 - 1.5 days is my best really, just been ignoring my phone today.
    05-12-17 03:43 PM
    So after one week with the dtek50 and I have some mixed feelings. The phone itself is nice and I like the BlackBerry's android adaption. The one down side is battery life is very poor. Are there any ways to improve the battery life? I am not a heavy user.
    This is a known "issue." The battery life is just not great on this phone. I think if you accept that fact, everything else will be great. I don't like the battery either, but the fact that it is the only non-Pixel/Nexus phone which is under 5.5 inches, close to stock Android, gets consistent monthly updates, and all for under $250, you just can't beat that. There is no other phone out there that meets this criteria.
    05-14-17 06:54 AM
    I find turning off the 'adaptive brightness' is helpful, which I realize seems counterintuitive.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-17 01:04 PM