Hello

They should rename Waterloo to DeceptionVille. First, BB has rebranded an old phone and called it new. Second, it sales for 299$ but the startup Nextbit has had a phone out for a while that is more powerful with a fingerprint sensor for 299$

Why would blackberry do such a thing!? Bring up new phones that are new. Allow the user to choose between BB10 and Android on first boot. A lot of people would have liked a Priv running bb10 and a lot of people would have liked a passport running android! Too many engineers spending too much time talking between themselves. Get out of your Waterloo office people, it's 2016. I think some of you haven't seen daylight since 2006...

07-27-16 12:08 PM
    Why do you say it's an old phone? It's a rebadge of a current phone coming out, the idol 4...

If you mean processor, the idol 3 had only 2Gb of RAM as opposed 3Gb found here...

Care to clarify, maybe I'm not grasping what you mean?
    07-27-16 12:29 PM
    Actually there aren't too many engineers talking to each other at BB. Most were laid off.

This is an idol 4 with BB software and security features intended for corporate fleet purchasers.

There is nothing deceptive about that.
    07-27-16 12:29 PM
    So to have a dual boot, to be cheap but powerful...anything else?
    07-27-16 12:31 PM
    So to have a dual boot, to be cheap but powerful...anything else?
    It should have a port which births live baby unicorns.
    07-27-16 12:32 PM
    It should have a port which births live baby unicorns.
    :-) and of course Lithuanian language and dark hub
    07-27-16 12:38 PM
    :-) and of course Lithuanian language and dark hub
    Right, of course! Dark haired baby unicorns who speak perfect Lithuanian.
    JeepBB, StormieTwo and derekmadge like this.
    07-27-16 12:45 PM
    This isn't "Old" hardware either as others have mentioned Idol 4 is just releasing now and look here ZTE is allegedly going to release a Axon 7 Mini with very similar specs to the DTEK 50 (5.2" HD display, SD 617, 3GB Ram, 2705 mAh battery) so it's not like they are using old stuff it's just the current "Mid Range" stuff. ZTE Axon 7 Mini leaks with SD617 SoC, 5.2-inch display - GSMArena.com news

(It will have 32GB vs 16GB and a 16MP Camera vs 13mp, unknown price)
    07-27-16 12:57 PM
    Negativity about this step forward helps breed more negativity. If you want some of your ideas for future phones to be considered, it is the time to support the company and its current products. Positive talk goes a long way.
    07-27-16 12:58 PM
    . Get out of your Waterloo office people, it's 2016. I think some of you haven't seen daylight since 2006...
    Ah so they have the engineers locked up in some dungeon in Waterloo's office basement.. That would explain some of the mess ups that happened recently.. You think they have the people responsible about the naming in the dungeon too?.. But I think Alex Thurber, Ralph and the boys do get out.. They've even done Interviews, webcasts and all.. So its definitely the engineers only..
    07-27-16 01:02 PM
    Blackberry's value add are their security modifications and Blackberry apps like hub, DTEK and custom launcher. It up to you if you think those are worth more than a faster processor and fingerprint sensor. Also, Nexbit doesn't provide a large battery to match the power of the processor, battery life of the Robin is not very good.

The Idol 4 is a brand new phone. DTEK50 seems to compete pretty well with the Moto G4 plus.

Posted via CB10
    glwerry and doherrick like this.
    07-27-16 01:36 PM
    Blackberry's value add are their security modifications and Blackberry apps like hub, DTEK and custom launcher. It up to you if you think those are worth more than a faster processor and fingerprint sensor. Also, Nexbit doesn't provide a large battery to match the power of the processor, battery life of the Robin is not very good.

The Idol 4 is a brand new phone. DTEK50 seems to compete pretty well with the Moto G4 plus.

Posted via CB10
    No matter how much you explain the security value proposition and its affect on the pricing, people still don't get it.
    07-27-16 02:33 PM
    Nextbit barely has two nickels to rub together on their first generation device, just like OnePlus made a smidgen of profit with their initial launch device. Blackberry isn't going to sell the Dtek50 at essentially cost just to get its name and device out there, the company has different aims and customer base than those devices.
    07-27-16 03:23 PM
    You can lead a house to water but you can't make him drink.

You can show someone the knowledge, but you can't make him think.

I actually like the phone and think it's with current mid range phones and blackberry did well.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    07-27-16 03:24 PM
    Hello

They should rename Waterloo to DeceptionVille. First, BB has rebranded an old phone and called it new. Second, it sales for 299$ but the startup Nextbit has had a phone out for a while that is more powerful with a fingerprint sensor for 299$

Why would blackberry do such a thing!? Bring up new phones that are new. Allow the user to choose between BB10 and Android on first boot. A lot of people would have liked a Priv running bb10 and a lot of people would have liked a passport running android! Too many engineers spending too much time talking between themselves. Get out of your Waterloo office people, it's 2016. I think some of you haven't seen daylight since 2006...

You only seem to compare specs.
    The goodies are "under the hood" - no another Android devices has this grade of security and that many security layers.
    That's the purpose of the DTek50.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-27-16 03:28 PM
    I agree with the previous two posters. OP, I've said this before on several other threads: BB is ADDING VALUE to an existing (NEW) phone.

When you add value you have EXTRA COSTS (development costs). It costs big money to do the kind of development, testing and certification that BB has to do. When a corporation adds extra value to an object, THEY CHARGE MORE FOR IT!
    It's really pretty simple.

For instance, go to the Porsche design folks and tell them that you want one of their fancy phones but you're only going to pay them what a "stock" Classic is worth. See how far that gets you.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-27-16 03:36 PM
    “No one ever got fired for buying IBM.”

If your job is on the line to recommend a fleet of cellphones for your company will you pick, a startup Nextbit OR Blackberry for the same price?
    doherrick likes this.
    07-27-16 03:48 PM
    OP, I work in the embedded electronics realm and one of my fields of expertise is the USB charging space. One of the phones I characterized recently in some work for Type-C charging was the Nextbit Robin. I can tell you that phone is not compliant to USB Type-C spec, and charging-wise only charges at 0.5A from most chargers.

As far as the looks go, it looks 'sleek' and 'hip' but that's about the pluses. The speakers are crap, WiFi is shoddy, and having seen these two issues out of the box, I googled around for reviews and read the negatives, and there are lots (including poor or no customer service). The device shows that it's their first rodeo, but that's not a bad thing. You can't expect a kickstarter phone to be a Samsung Galaxy whatever right from the get go...

Regarding the comparison to BlackBerry - as others have explained, you are comparing apples and oranges on both the HW and SW fronts. Alcatel's Idol 4 is a design that's made by a company that's been on many rodeos, and the DTEK50 HW upgrades from the Idol 4 (which includes 2TB expansion for SD card by the way) and BB's security suite addition to Android make the DTEK50 completely incomparable to the Nextbit Robin which stores your stuff on the Internet, god knows where.

�No one ever got fired for buying IBM.�
    T40 and T60 - greatest "standard issue" laptops ever!

Negativity about this step forward helps breed more negativity. If you want some of your ideas for future phones to be considered, it is the time to support the company and its current products. Positive talk goes a long way.
    +infinity. BB fans bad-mouthing the new release is definitely not going to help!
    07-27-16 04:42 PM
    It's impossible to please everyone as we all know. It's a good thing we have a lot of choice in Android world.
    If you don't see value in BlackBerry's modification, you can find cheaper, same spec Android phones elsewhere.
    Sure I would love to have new BB10 phone. But BlackBerry is not making phones for most consumers. Those phones are for corporate fleet & people who needs or value security & don't mind paying a little extra but not too high like Priv.

Is it going to be success? Not sure for BYOD world.
    But at least now BlackBerry has most popular all touch design with reasonable price in their lineup.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-16 10:17 PM
    BlackBerry changed the glass and backcover. Also they implemented a hardware root of trust.

And softwarebased, you have all the BlackBerry apps and a better launcher.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-31-16 02:15 AM
    Plus free battery on pre order.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-31-16 03:02 AM
    Come on guys. Please remove these idiotic threads. Are a lot of topics like these.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    07-31-16 04:13 AM
    Hello

See how many like you get

Posted via Priv
    07-31-16 05:06 AM
    Most phones, especially android-based, have similar specs to one another and depending on its range. So why fuss?

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    SolarBear28 and mousse04 like this.
    07-31-16 05:08 AM
    Just saw this and canceled my pre-order shame on you Chen at this rate you Hardware business is dead.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-31-16 06:15 AM
40 12