I bought my teenage son the DTEK 50 for Xmas this past year. On Boxing Day he got a very fast (read and write) 32G SD card.

A few observations:

1. He uses it 7 days per week.
    2. Uses a battery bank to extend the life of the phone for 18+ hours at times.
    3. Plays video games on it all the time.
    4. Almost exclusively uses Instagram as social media with messaging running through the Hub.
    5. Uses YouTube all the time.
    6. Rarely makes calls.
    7. The phone has almost never been turned off.

How does it run after three months?

No lag, no problems, no issues. That's about it. It has been a workhorse so far.
    LeeU1911, Johnny Dollar and tw820 like this.
    03-16-17 08:43 PM
    Glad to hear that, it's working out fine for me also. However I don't spend as much time as a younger person may using it each day. I also watch YouTube videos and think the sound is great with the built in speakers . Let's hope we get a couple of years out of it ;-)
    03-17-17 01:22 AM
    Thanks OP for the review. Thinking about getting one as a replacement for my son’s Q5. If I dare to get the K1 my son will demand an upgrade for his phone too.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 03:01 AM
    Yes, the sound is very good. It helps me track him down sometimes. Just follow the noise...

In general, it is interesting how a young person uses this technology. The fact that it is a phone that you can call people on is not a major "selling point'. There is no risk that he will come close to burning through his minutes in a month. Kids just text these days.
    03-17-17 05:56 AM
    I bought my teenage son the DTEK 50 for Xmas this past year. On Boxing Day he got a very fast (read and write) 32G SD card.

A few observations:

1. He uses it 7 days per week.
    2. Uses a battery bank to extend the life of the phone for 18+ hours at times.
    3. Plays video games on it all the time.
    4. Almost exclusively uses Instagram as social media with messaging running through the Hub.
    5. Uses YouTube all the time.
    6. Rarely makes calls.
    7. The phone has almost never been turned off.

How does it run after three months?

No lag, no problems, no issues. That's about it. It has been a workhorse so far.
    Good to read this cause my son is getting one to replace his Leap. He didn't want the Priv. Should arrive today.
    03-25-17 11:29 AM
    Good to read this cause my son is getting one to replace his Leap. He didn't want the Priv. Should arrive today.
    Did he like the DTEK 50?
    05-08-17 03:17 PM
    Funny, I was thinking whether it would be a good device for my dad! He is focused on a removable battery though, apparently looking at some Samsung's but not too familiar with those... hmm

Posted via CB10
    05-09-17 04:16 AM
    Did he like the DTEK 50?
    No he hates Android. He wants to switch back to the Leap. The YouTube app not running in the background (Firefox has disabled that feature too now), the poor vibrate alert, he misses the gestures on OS10, the volume rocker functions and on and on. He is definitely not a fan of Android.
    05-09-17 08:14 AM
    No he hates Android. He wants to switch back to the Leap. The YouTube app not running in the background (Firefox has disabled that feature too now), the poor vibrate alert, he misses the gestures on OS10, the volume rocker functions and on and on. He is definitely not a fan of Android.
    Ouch... he will have to confront a non-BlackBerry 10 OS at some point in the future... poor guy. Guess it is a great life lesson though but not a pleasant one..

Posted via CB10
    05-09-17 08:47 AM
    Ouch... he will have to confront a non-BlackBerry 10 OS at some point in the future... poor guy. Guess it is a great life lesson though but not a pleasant one..

Posted via CB10
    Yup. I totally understand how he feels.
    05-09-17 08:50 AM
    I feel his pain! But maybe if he uses it for a while he will get used to it. It took me several months but now I rather like it, other than the battery. I've even gotten used to charging it in my car (which I rarely did with the Z30).

BB 9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>
    Classic>Dtek50>
    05-11-17 10:09 PM
    I feel his pain! But maybe if he uses it for a while he will get used to it. It took me several months but now I rather like it, other than the battery. I've even gotten used to charging it in my car (which I rarely did with the Z30).

Classic>Dtek50>
    Well, his Dtek50 just died. Black screen with a flashing light on the back. We have to return it to BlackBerry for service. So he is back to using his Leap. Suffice to say he is unimpressed lol.
    05-13-17 09:42 AM
    Well, his Dtek50 just died. Black screen with a flashing light on the back. We have to return it to BlackBerry for service. So he is back to using his Leap. Suffice to say he is unimpressed lol.
    :-(

BB 9000> Q10 > Z10 > Z30 > Z30 > Classic > Dtek50
    Last edited by OTCHRussell; 05-14-17 at 01:52 PM.
    05-13-17 11:08 AM

Classic>Dtek50>
    Really? That's strange. I read on CB members getting 2 days of battery life /s

Full disclosure on my part I owned it for a week before I dumped it.

Feels like plastic and a kids toy if anything. Can't understand the folks who kept saying it feels premium.

The moto g was a premium feeling budget device. The dtek50 was an embarrassment.
    05-14-17 12:31 PM
    I like that it's not that heavy. It's lighter than my Z30. I wish I could get better battery use, but I don't get as much as the Z30. It's more like my Z10.
    I wish I could combine all 3 phones and have my favorite parts of each one:
    BB10 from the Zs with great file manager and ease of use.
    Small size of Z10 with bright screen
    Great battery of Z30 with awesome speakers
    Apps and speed of Dtek50
    All have adequate cameras for my use.

I have my eyes on the Keyone in the future.

BB 9000> Q10 > Z10 > Z30 > Z30 > Classic > Dtek50
    05-14-17 01:50 PM
    I don't think it's cheaply made, in fact I thought the screen was nice and the back felt great and grippy and hung on to a lot of surfaces without sliding off. I liked that about the phone. Physically it's great.

But the internals are a different story. Android sounds good in concept but is a bit of a trainwreck in reality. Too bad most people just don't know anything else, otherwise they wake up from this ecosystem they're so addicted to.

What drove me nuts especially was the spyvertising, the gradually worsening lag, bloatware, all the default settings built to eat up my data, the terrible default music/video/photo apps. Plus I downloaded a number of apps but used them maybe once and that's it. There are only 2 or 3 core apps that I used consistently and I can get them all on my Passport.

And the alerts are absolute garbage. I can't customize the alerts the way I can on BB10...it's not even close...and this is the best that Android can offer in 2017? It's barely better than a pager.

So why get an android phone? There are no benefit and only drawbacks...to me anyway. I'll try to stay on BB10 for as long as I possibly can. It's the perfect platform.

One day I might try iOS, it can't be as bad as Android and it has to be more secure.
    05-18-17 07:49 AM
    Did the Dtek50 get fixed?
    05-18-17 11:10 AM