I've installed an interesting alternative to the native camera app called Open Camera Open Camera is an open source app that is highly customizable.

The instruction for enabling HDR says:
    HDR requires Camera2 API to be enabled (under Settings), which is only available on some devices.
    I can't locate the Camera2 API setting on my DTEK50, either because I'm not looking in the right place or because it's not available on DTEK50.

Any suggestions?
    02-16-17 01:02 PM
    Do you mean the HDR setting in the default camera app with 3 possibilities.. No HDR...AUTO HDR...HDR?
    02-16-17 02:44 PM
    Do you mean the HDR setting in the default camera app with 3 possibilities.. No HDR...AUTO HDR...HDR?
    No. In order to enable HDR to appear as an optional feature on Open Camera, the setting called Camera2 API has to be enabled. I have never come across that setting and almost suspect it's not a user accessible setting on DTEK50. That's why I'm looking to see if someone on the Forum is familiar with that particular setting.
    02-16-17 02:57 PM
    No. In order to enable HDR to appear as an optional feature on Open Camera, the setting called Camera2 API has to be enabled. I have never come across that setting and almost suspect it's not a user accessible setting on DTEK50. That's why I'm looking to see if someone on the Forum is familiar with that particular setting.
    Ahh.. From reading other posts on the subject I don't think that setting is user accessible on the 50.

How do you like the app so far? I may get it.
    02-16-17 03:01 PM
    How do you like the app so far? I may get it.
    I just dnloaded Open Camera a few days ago, but can see it has a lot more functionality than the native camera. The settings are highly customizable, with some interesting innovative features like vox (voice activated) picture taking. Say "cheese" and the camera takes the picture.

I like the variety of pre-programmed settings for various lighting and scenic situations.

Will try it in parallel with the native camera and make a choice.

Would like to be able to have HDR, but will weigh the benefits of each app before choosing...or maybe I'll keep both.

There is a lot of online support for Open Camera.

With searches I've done for Camera2 API, it's beginning to look like the device has to be rooted. Lets see if anyone on the Forum has some insights to offer.
    02-16-17 03:24 PM
    The blackberry android devices don't have support for that API.

Not sure if it's the camera app, or the android build itself, but it just doesn't support it.
    02-16-17 03:36 PM
    The blackberry android devices don't have support for that API.
    Thank you John! It's the first time I encountered a reference to API, so I am not really clear on what it means.

Does it mean that on some other device, one might find a setting that would allow enabling that particular feature? Would it require rooting?

In any case, as I experiment with the Open Camera App, I have to say, I like it , so it will remain an alternative for the time being.

Open Camera has Dynamic Range Optimisation DRO, as a default feature on the DTEK50. If I need HDR I can use the native camera.

Here's where I'm learning the difference between HDR and DRO

Steve
    02-16-17 05:25 PM
    Basically when building the drivers for the camera hardware, there is an opportunity to use some open source libraries like camera2.

This allows other apps to access that API, and take full control of the camera.

Blackberry just didn't do that.

And yes, other devices have them. You'll have to find a list somewhere because I don't know which ones off the top of my head.
    Ethynil likes this.
    02-16-17 05:28 PM
    This allows other apps to access that API, and take full control of the camera.
    Thanks for clarifying John!

Interestingly, while exploring Open Camera's sub-menus, I found a checkbox item for HDR! It was late when I found it, and will do some testing to see how / if it works.
    02-17-17 02:25 PM
    You're better off with the BlackBerry camera app, as it pulls more capabilities from the camera than api 1 can with generic apps.
    02-17-17 02:35 PM
    You're better off with the BlackBerry camera app, as it pulls more capabilities from the camera than api 1 can with generic apps.
    Maybe at some level that may be so, but the great features that make photography easier with more creative possibilities, along with the highly customizable features of Open Camera are making it my preferred camera app for now.
    02-21-17 08:55 AM