Well, DTEK50 friends, it's been a year since our phone went on sale. What do you all think one year later?

We received security updates every single month. Some were late, sure, but we still got one every month.

We're still unfortunately on Marshmallow, no sings of update to Nougat anytime soon.

This whole time I haven't thought about getting a different phone. Even though plenty of (subjectively) better phones have been released (iPhone 7, Pixel phones, Galaxy S8, LG G6, Nokia 6, Essential, HTC U11, 85 different phones from Motorola/Lenovo), none of them made me even think about upgrading from my DTEK50. Maybe if there is a new DTEK50, I'll upgrade, but for now, I'm sticking with this one.

$300 well spent!

What do you all think?
    Bla1ze likes this.
    08-19-17 09:45 AM
    Ha! You beat me to it. I've had my DTEK50 since launch and can again say that along with all my other BlackBerry phones it's been the best phone I've ever had. No compromises this time either!! Like you said no Nougat and it would have been nice to have had picture password on it but whatever. It is what it is.

Much maligned for most of the year but for me it's proven to be a real workhorse and it's going to take a pretty special phone for me to switch! Thank you AGAIN BlackBerry!
    Last edited by Johnny Dollar; 08-19-17 at 02:02 PM.
    big_time2 likes this.
    08-19-17 12:24 PM
    It's my favorite of all the android BBs. I have switched back to my passport twice. First time I had trouble getting calls to connect, and I ended up going back. Second time I had trouble getting BBM to transfer, so again I went back. Email still reads better on my Passport. Mail on the Dtek50 occasionally does this streamline thing where I get three words per line. The Dtek50 has my favorite form factor. The camera lens doesn't stick out, it's lightweight, and although it doesn't have the power of the 60, I hate Android with a passion and could care less if it isn't running at full capacity, since I have to switch between everything I want in an unresponsive, ergonomically defunct tap zone instead of swiping. But that is the fault of Android.

I'm thinking of going back to the passport again. I originally bought my Z10 because it did everything I wanted upfront, apps be damned. Storymaker and the original hub I miss more than anything. The LED constantly blinks on the Dtek50, and I have no idea why, so I turned it off. I feel no more productive with this phone than my Passport or Z10, but I never used Instagram, WhatsApp, or any of the other social media apps that seem to be the reason everyone thought Blackberry wasn't any good. And DocstoGo was so much better than Google Docs... Ah, my lamentations! But there it is. Satisfied, but I'm probably going to iPhone, or trying a Windows phone next time I switch, which will probably be when the Dtek doesn't function anymore....so six years or so. Barring an exciting new company with a new and refreshing OS. The new BB phones just feel like Android phones to me, and nothing remarkable. In which case, who has the camera and form factor I want are the only decisions.
    big_time2 and Bla1ze like this.
    08-19-17 08:55 PM
    I initially got the DTEK50 in order to learn Android before the launch of the KeyOne.

The KeyOne is now my primary phone.

But..... I have to say I really like this DTEK50. For me, I really appreciate the formfactor.

Why?

It's slim and easy to pocket. It's light and easy to use. And I really like the sandpaper backing on the device. I don't put it in any case for that reason. It's fun to use.

The battery is the weak link, but it's manageable with a portable battery pack on a busy day.

It reminds me of the underrated Q5 which I loved.

I really like it.

Posted via CB10
    srzjumper and big_time2 like this.
    08-20-17 09:59 PM
    My wife has needed a new phone for a while now & with the CPW price falling to £189, I've been thinking hard about buying her a DTEK 50.
    The thing that's holding me back is the battery. Is it really that bad?
    08-21-17 10:09 AM
    My wife has needed a new phone for a while now & with the CPW price falling to £189, I've been thinking hard about buying her a DTEK 50.
    If she uses the phone a lot (calls, texts, social media) it will be a problem. If not then it's a great phone.

Sent from my STH100-1 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-21-17 01:22 PM
    If she uses the phone a lot (calls, texts, social media) it will be a problem. If not then it's a great phone.

Thanks Johnny.
    Not so much social media, but she does like to use her phone for browsing and for BBC iplayer. An advantage of Android is that you can download BBC programmes to watch later offline on the train or during a work break. What would watching an hour long video take out of the battery do you think?

Posted via CB10
    08-21-17 02:13 PM
    Thanks Johnny.
    Not so much social media, but she does like to use her phone for browsing and for BBC iplayer. An advantage of Android is that you can download BBC programmes to watch later offline on the train or during a work break. What would watching an hour long video take out of the battery do you think?

Posted via CB10
    If a fully charged battery... usually 70-75% is left (streaming). A little better playing just off the phone. I've found that the cooler the battery is the longer it lasts on the 50. I guess you could say this about any battery though. Lol.

Bertie Bear likes this.
    08-21-17 05:23 PM
    Get a Moto G5 for a much better battery, Android Nougat, and save yourself £50.
    08-22-17 07:07 AM
    Bought mine last November the first time it went on sale during Black Friday. The phone has worked flawlessly for me so far. Battery life is decent for my level of use.

For a midrange device purchased for less than $300 Canadian I'm satisfied. Would probably be less so had I spent hundreds of dollars more on the DTEK60.
    big_time2 likes this.
    08-22-17 09:17 PM
    I got my Dtek50 on trade to learn how to use Android. I really like the phone, especially the size, but struggled with the battery and not enough internal memory. I like to use the SD card as storage, not as internal memory. I wonder if the August update, which I just downloaded will improve battery.
    I recently bought the Dtek60, which was my original plan, once I learned Android. it is a great phone except for 2 things: I much prefer the size and back of the 50, and the 60 seems to be forgotten as far as updates go. It is still on June!!!
    I will keep the 50 as a spare, as it is a great little phone for the price!
    Last edited by OTCHRussell; 08-27-17 at 01:10 PM.
    08-26-17 08:22 PM
    I like the DTEK50, especially the back since that makes it easy to grip. My only regret is that it doesn't have T-Mobile WiFi calling.
    big_time2 likes this.
    08-27-17 08:53 AM
    I continue to be impressed with and enjoy both my DTEK50's, compared to devices used by some of my friends.

My devices get a substantial workload, and operate in both Canada as well as the U.S. by swapping SIMS.

I've had the opportunity to make use of BB tech support, and had one poor experience and one positive experience.

I just wish that BB would get their act together in providing users information about when and for how long system updates will be provided.
    big_time2 likes this.
    08-28-17 01:26 PM
    I continue to be impressed with and enjoy both my DTEK50's, compared to devices used by some of my friends.

My devices get a substantial workload, and operate in both Canada as well as the U.S. by swapping SIMS.

I've had the opportunity to make use of BB tech support, and had one poor experience and one positive experience.

I just wish that BB would get their act together in providing users information about when and for how long system updates will be provided.
    Just curious.. If BlackBerry came out with a dual sim phone in (October?) would you buy it?

09-06-17 11:27 AM
    If BlackBerry came out with a dual sim phone in (October?) would you buy it?
    It depends.

Yes I would be very interested in a dual SIM phone, if it were a Blackberry Android device, that would still allow the addition of SD card additional memory.

The Idol phone that is dual SIM sacrifices the memory slot in order to insert the second SIM, which defeats the added advantage.

Do you have some insights into future model feature availability?
    09-06-17 11:41 AM
    It depends.

Yes I would be very interested in a dual SIM phone, if it were a Blackberry Android device, that would still allow the addition of SD card additional memory.

The Idol phone that is dual SIM sacrifices the memory slot in order to insert the second SIM, which defeats the added advantage.

Do you have some insights into future model feature availability?
    No..but dual sim was one of features I checked in the last crackberry survey about what you were looking for in the next BlackBerry phone.

Ethynil likes this.
    09-06-17 03:02 PM
    Well I picked my DTEK50 up in December last year from Shop BB and had it shipped here to South Africa, and I was extremely surprised that it's as good as it is. Phones are unreasonably expensive here, and I ended up paying just under R6,000 (~470 USD) for the DTEK50 (shipping and customs is expensive) and considering that I have all the same apps and performance as my friends on their R13k (~1000 USD) Samsungs etc., while still having the secured kernel and encrypted hardware...as well as that beautiful BB VKBD, I seem to be happier than them (but maybe that's just because I'm a better person. :-P ).

I really like my little DTEK50 - the form factor is fantastic, and the camera is far better than I was expecting. My only gripe is the shortage of space on it (this might be because I'm filling it with **** though), and that BB Blend doesn't work with it. :/
    09-08-17 07:22 AM