Loves makes you blind ;-)
    I challenge you to find a better alternative for a physical keyboard device on Android.

Without this new licencing model, it would never have existed.
    10-23-17 09:16 AM
    What bad reputation? They're not in that business anymore. It's somebody else's bad reputation to worry about.
    The name "BlackBerry" is and will be damaged.
    10-23-17 09:19 AM
    What information do you have regarding TCL and its intent to damage the brand?

If anything, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is getting positive feedback, patches have been steady, and Oreo has been confirmed.

There aren't enough Priv users left to make a dent.
    10-23-17 09:30 AM
    Damaged to who. You're the right the damage to brand name is horrendous. It's been a joke on late night tv for years now. In fact the damage is so bad it wouldn't surprise me if Chen goes and changes the name of the company.

Except, the brand that has been damaged is regarding phones. BB software vendors and clients know that BB doesn't make phones anymore so they don't care about TCL, BBMo and what they do to brand.

You're speaking for legions of BB users that will not support this damaged brand. However, if you turn around to look behind you, the dissatisfied BB Army you're leading has dwindled to nothing. Your few remaining soldiers are being tended by the Android/IOS rescue personnel with new food, clothing and shelter. While you're on this isolated terrain in the middle of an ocean, 10 years passed.

Android/IOS won the great Ecosystem war that began in 2007 and ended sometime in 2013 for most. For 2-3 more years several WP/BB10 regiments and then just smaller platoons ran around, denying this apocalyptic truth. Eventually the only remaining supporters you represent have lost track of time and just want to snapchat with their kids.....

If this adaptation doesn't suit you, I also could write a fairytale version involving Unicorns, Rainbows and Leprechauns with Pots of Gold.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    10-23-17 09:46 AM
    You can see it that way, sure.

But understand that BlackBerry was losing epic amounts of money on devices, and left the business to avoid bankruptcy.

The new licencing model is the only alternative to no devices at all.

The slate is now clean, and it is TCL that you must choose to put your faith in or not.
    BlackBerry handed the Dtek's over to TCL and it appears that TCL accepted it. Yet TCL has been silent concerning software updates to these 2 phones. Conite says we have to put faith in TCL now. Appears their decision to be silent is enough for me not to put my faith in TCL. K1 owners may discover in 10 months what us Dtek owners are currently experiencing.
    10-23-17 01:49 PM
    What bad reputation? They're not in that business anymore. It's somebody else's bad reputation to worry about.
    It is TCL reputation since they accepted the assignment of the Dtek's
    10-23-17 01:51 PM
    I have no affiliation with BlackBerry, TCL, or Crackberry for that matter. I don't get paid, and my opinions are my own.

I'm simply explaining how licencing works. This is not a matter of opinion. It is what it is.
    You don't need to defend yourself, Conite. Posters who make Ad Hominem attacks (who probably don't even know what that means) have demonstrated their inability to have a rational discussion.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Smokeaire likes this.
    10-23-17 02:01 PM
    You don't need to defend yourself, Conite. Posters who make Ad Hominem attacks (who probably don't even know what that means) have demonstrated their inability to have a rational discussion.

I will trust Conite's opinions over other people's facts.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-23-17 02:13 PM
    BlackBerry handed the Dtek's over to TCL and it appears that TCL accepted it. Yet TCL has been silent concerning software updates to these 2 phones. Conite says we have to put faith in TCL now. Appears their decision to be silent is enough for me not to put my faith in TCL. K1 owners may discover in 10 months what us Dtek owners are currently experiencing.
    They "dumped" the DTEKs on TCL along with a support fee. It's unlikely they paid TCL to update them too.

What happens to the DTEKs is not on TCL.
    10-23-17 02:15 PM

I will trust Conite's opinions over other people's facts.
    Thanks guys. I've been here so long, I hardly notice it anymore.

I just say what I want to say, and people can take it or leave it.

I like to keep on top of things simply for the sake of quelling misinformation. Other people depend on this site for accurate information. I do the best I can.
    Smokeaire and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    10-23-17 02:19 PM
    Certainly it's fine to be optimistic or skeptical of TCL because they don't have a significant track record to evaluate, but the badge on their phone is not a rational criteria for that evaluation. BlackBerry will deliver whatever updates TCL pays for.

Furthermore, based on their investment and actions so far, it appears that TCL understands that reestablishing the BlackBerry brand is a multi-year strategic effort. We'll have meaningful data within the year as to how they intend to do business and their ability to execute.

Personally, my KEYone is the best Android phone I've evaluated for my daily use. I still don't like Android, but it's a winner in my book.

10-23-17 02:25 PM

Man, you hit the nail right on the head there...
    One year wonders, and the Keyone will probably be the same. TCL's motto appears to be, 'no upgraded OS, just buy our next model instead'

All TCL/Meriah-Putah etc are basically just dragging the dead corpse of BB further and further into the mire!!
    10-24-17 10:12 AM
    They "dumped" the DTEKs on TCL along with a support fee. It's unlikely they paid TCL to update them too.

What happens to the DTEKs is not on TCL.
    Whoah there, saying they 'dumped' them on TCL means that TCL had no say in the matter?? How do you know that?? TCL must have had some say in the 'dumping' and therefore have a say in how their future pans out??
    Rather that TCL were 'honest' admitted that they have no desire/plans for the Dteks, and as such tell the TRUTH, much as it may 'damage' them, at least it will be less damage than saying nothing, surely??
    I would be more inclined to purchase from a company that were 'honest about things' than one who refused to say anything..as that leaves people thinking they don't care, (which, TCL don't appear to) so why purchase from them?
    TCL are as much to blame as BB for muddying the waters by refusing to admit that they 'will not support the Dteks after their warranty runs out, end of' so we all know just where we stand...
    10-24-17 10:19 AM
    Whoah there, saying they 'dumped' them on TCL means that TCL had no say in the matter?? How do you know that?? TCL must have had some say in the 'dumping' and therefore have a say in how their future pans out??
    Rather that TCL were 'honest' admitted that they have no desire/plans for the Dteks, and as such tell the TRUTH, much as it may 'damage' them, at least it will be less damage than saying nothing, surely??
    I would be more inclined to purchase from a company that were 'honest about things' than one who refused to say anything..as that leaves people thinking they don't care, (which, TCL don't appear to) so why purchase from them?
    TCL "agreed" to take over the support on the DTEKs for a fee, as BlackBerry wants to shutter their own support infrastructure as Priv comes to a close. Did BlackBerry also pay them to support future OS versions as well? Doubtful.
    10-24-17 10:23 AM
    As far as the consumer knows, the only information is that TCL agreed to take over responsibility. The consumers don't know any facts, terms or details. You seem to know they were paid a fee. As far as the rest of us we have no facts concerning this arrangement. Until one or both of them decides to make public the details we only know that something was agreed upon by them. So everyone has a right to their opinion as to what may or may not have been established and how it impacts each consumer going forward. You say you have no connection other than being a Crackberry member, so you are just offering your opinion about them receiving a fee.
    10-24-17 11:25 AM
    As far as the consumer knows, the only information is that TCL agreed to take over responsibility. The consumers don't know any facts, terms or details. You seem to know they were paid a fee. As far as the rest of us we have no facts concerning this arrangement. Until one or both of them decides to make public the details we only know that something was agreed upon by them. So everyone has a right to their opinion as to what may or may not have been established and how it impacts each consumer going forward. You say you have no connection other than being a Crackberry member, so you are just offering your opinion about them receiving a fee.
    You think they are doing it for free? Just for the fun of it? TCL is a business, and support is very expensive.
    10-24-17 11:50 AM
    Unit sales (mostly cellphones) from TCL Communication fell 36% to 21 million units during the first half of 2017, and company revenue dropped 26% to 6.87 billion yuan (about US$1 billion).

TCL posted a net loss of 852 million yuan (about US$129 million) for the period.

So TCL just sold 49% of their telephone department.

read here: https://www.channelnews.com.au/tcl-a...hone-business/
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 10-24-17 at 12:10 PM.
    10-24-17 11:56 AM
    You think they are doing it for free? Just for the fun of it? TCL is a business, and support is very expensive.
    I have no facts concerning financial arrangements. I never said it was free. Even as a small stockholder I am not provided any information relating to what is the requirements and financial terms.
    10-24-17 02:40 PM
    I have no facts concerning financial arrangements. I never said it was free. Even as a small stockholder I am not provided any information relating to what is the requirements and financial terms.
    No, but there is such a thing as common sense. It's more likely that BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile have a normal business agreement, whereby TCL contracts with BlackBerry for their product (software development) in return for money than that they've invented some new system of business that doesn't involve an exchange of value.

10-24-17 02:50 PM
    There is no facts stating what BlackBerry stated and agreed to pay and what in turn TCL agreed beyond the public comment that TCL is handling the Dtek's from that point. I am only saying nothing has been identified as to what is the requirements of each and what is the financial terms. I never said that anyone was doing free work. The Dtek phone owners have not been given any information beyond the one announcement. There could be conditions or requirements that need to be done or their arrangement could be as the 2 of you seem to have inside knowledge they both agreed to remain silent and the consumer is left without any future announcement or action. Crackberry leaders previous said if you want nought then buy the Keyone. The 2 companies involved has said nothing. That is my point - - nothing has been said by either. Just Kevin and you two
    10-24-17 04:22 PM
    There is no facts stating what BlackBerry stated and agreed to pay and what in turn TCL agreed beyond the public comment that TCL is handling the Dtek's from that point. I am only saying nothing has been identified as to what is the requirements of each and what is the financial terms. I never said that anyone was doing free work. The Dtek phone owners have not been given any information beyond the one announcement. There could be conditions or requirements that need to be done or their arrangement could be as the 2 of you seem to have inside knowledge they both agreed to remain silent and the consumer is left without any future announcement or action. Crackberry leaders previous said if you want nought then buy the Keyone. The 2 companies involved has said nothing. That is my point - - nothing has been said by either. Just Kevin and you two
    I'll say it as fourth person because it's just common sense. If TCL/BBMo was upgrading DTEK to Nougat, it would be done by now. BlackBerry Original already has Nougat for KEYone and Motion in BBMo hands. Do you think BBMo would update a phone they didn't sell, to allow people to delay buying a Motion if they want Nougat. If you're not giving them money now, do you think BBMo considers you a customer. In their eyes, you're a dead weighted anchor. The sooner they cut the line, the better. That's common sense business. Walk into Apple Store and go tirekicking without buying something and see how long they stand there hanging out with you.
    10-24-17 06:47 PM
    But if, as you say, no one is working for free, what reason would anyone have to update the DTEK phones beyond the promised security patches. There is no business case to do it, and it was never offered or promised. I don't need Megan Fox to call me to tell me she won't date me, because I have no reason to think she will. Similarly, no one owes DTEK owners an announcement about whether or not they'll get Nougat. They have no reason to expect it.
    10-24-17 10:15 PM
    But if, as you say, no one is working for free, what reason would anyone have to update the DTEK phones beyond the promised security patches. There is no business case to do it, and it was never offered or promised. I don't need Megan Fox to call me to tell me she won't date me, because I have no reason to think she will. Similarly, no one owes DTEK owners an announcement about whether or not they'll get Nougat. They have no reason to expect it.
    Yet TCL/BB expect us to purchase their 'latest wares' despite not even having the decency to inform us of their 'decisions'??
    Their take on Dteks is 'purchase a keyone' and that is the OFFICIAL response form TCL/BB.. Personally, I won't take them up on the offer, there are other manufacturers who value and treat 'customers' with a bit more respect, and therefore get the repeat sales..TCL/BB does nothing to give me any incentive to purchase more of their products. BB may be 'out of manufacturing' but their name is on the product, and mud sticks..their only real customer base is the die-hards who refuse to see the real world beyond their rose tinted glasses.
    TCL/BB have alienated users by refusing to at least 'come clean' regarding the priv and Dteks.
    They made their decisions, now the 'customers' (or soon to be ex customers) will make theirs...
    10-25-17 04:43 AM
    Yet TCL/BB expect us to purchase their 'latest wares' despite not even having the decency to inform us of their 'decisions'??
    Their take on Dteks is 'purchase a keyone' and that is the OFFICIAL response form TCL/BB.. Personally, I won't take them up on the offer, there are other manufacturers who value and treat 'customers' with a bit more respect, and therefore get the repeat sales..TCL/BB does nothing to give me any incentive to purchase more of their products. BB may be 'out of manufacturing' but their name is on the product, and mud sticks..their only real customer base is the die-hards who refuse to see the real world beyond their rose tinted glasses.
    TCL/BB have alienated users by refusing to at least 'come clean' regarding the priv and Dteks.
    They made their decisions, now the 'customers' (or soon to be ex customers) will make theirs...
    The only thing TCL bears any responsibility for is the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and the Motion. Judge them solely for those devices.

The decisions on the Priv and DTEKs rest squarely with BlackBerry, and only BlackBerry - even if they chose to farm out DTEK support to TCL.

You have every right to be unhappy and to be vocal about it, just make sure you blame the right party.
    10-25-17 08:12 AM
    TCL and BlackBerry both have remained silent. You have right to your opinion about what that agreement said or didn't say. The rest of us owners have a right to our opinions concerning these 2 companies. You seem to have inside knowledge about this topic that the rest of us don't have. If you are right then TCL is making a big mistake in not trying to provide goodwill to Dtek and PRIV owners and communicating concerning this matter. Maybe you will understand the frustration in one year when Silence falls concerning the Keyone. Because that is possible action. There is no documented proof that what is happening now won't be repeated
    10-25-17 10:38 AM
177 12345 ...