OK, Feb update arrived this AM, installed and restarted with no problems (no faffing about with google play services, etc) but have now noticed there is an 'earpiece' type icon on the top line of my screen, along with the blue-tooth, wi-fi, signal strength, and battery level ones??
    Not changed anything since the update, and it's only been there since the update??
    Don't have any headphones plugged in, and never have?? Any ideas what it is, how to sort it, and if it is a bug of some sort??
    02-10-18 11:32 AM
    OK, Feb update arrived this AM, installed and restarted with no problems (no faffing about with google play services, etc) but have now noticed there is an 'earpiece' type icon on the top line of my screen, along with the blue-tooth, wi-fi, signal strength, and battery level ones??
    Not changed anything since the update, and it's only been there since the update??
    Don't have any headphones plugged in, and never have?? Any ideas what it is, how to sort it, and if it is a bug of some sort??
    Can you attach a screen shot?

I don't see that on mine.
    02-10-18 11:35 AM
    No headphones.
    I also keep BT off unless I need it. Battery burner.
    02-10-18 12:03 PM
    Can you attach a screen shot?

I don't see that on mine.
    Try these, not too sure how to attach photos to this site (works differently to others I use) but see how these look

New small icon on top of home screen??-dsc00244.jpg
    New small icon on top of home screen??-dsc00243.jpg
    02-10-18 12:42 PM
    No headphones.
    I also keep BT off unless I need it. Battery burner.
    BT is on as connected to my 'pebble' smartwatch. Actually don't find it uses too much battery, I can last almost 2 days between charges, even with it on 24/7 and that's with average daily use..
    02-10-18 01:07 PM
    That is definitely the headphone/line out icon. Normally present when they are plugged in and audio is routed through the line. Try these suggestions: https://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...ation-bar.html

Not sure I would recommend the swab suggestion since they could get caught down in the hole with no way to get it out. I think the compressed air is the best suggestion, holding the phone in such a way that the debris will fall out rather than get trapped way down.
    02-10-18 01:17 PM
    1. try turning off Bluetooth (just to eliminate something coming from the pebble connection)
    2. Try plugging in earphones and then unplugging again.
    02-10-18 10:41 PM
    1. try turning off Bluetooth (just to eliminate something coming from the pebble connection)
    2. Try plugging in earphones and then unplugging again.
    OK, also appears I have no sound from the phone!! (prob because the thing thinks headphones connected!!) phone vibrated for incoming call, but no notification..Tried to answer call, nothing...so obviously a BIG problem, so

Tried both the above suggestions (even with headphones connected, still cant get any sound from phone), no joy...also tried the canned air one, still no luck.
    Not happy about poking cotton buds (or anything else) down the jack, to be honest.

Finally bit the bullet and did a full factory reset (real P.I.T.A. even though I have a google backup, not everything gets backed up no matter how you set it up)

This cleared the icon, and hey presto...all works again, but now have to set up all the bits that google will not save!!

Just hope this was a one off, and not going to become a persistant problem, as phone now 15 months old, so out of warranty....
    dpw09 likes this.
    02-11-18 02:25 PM