New SanDisk microSD card enables an app speed boost for Android users

While the highlight of SanDisk's latest microSD card is it's world-record 400GB capacity, what's overlooked is its improved ability to load and run apps.
    $250 at Amazon
    09-02-17 10:45 AM
    The problem being, the only way to put apps on SD is to format it as internal, or adopted memory. Which is a really bad idea for many reasons, listed here and on most other Android forums.
    With 3gb internal, there isn't any reason to put apps on SD. Unless of course you have 600 apps.
    09-02-17 11:19 AM
    It's a class 10 / UHS Speed Class 1 card. That's sloooooooow.

New SanDisk  400GB Micro SD Card-screenshot-2017-09-02-21-25-39.png
    09-02-17 03:25 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-09-02 21-25-39.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	429401
    I would think it would have a much faster read/write speed. Those are only minimum guaranteed speeds. I know my card has far higher speeds than the chart shows and it's a UHS-1 card as well.
    09-02-17 09:30 PM
    I don't even give it the time of day unless it's a UHS-3.
    09-02-17 10:55 PM
    I don't even give it the time of day unless it's a UHS-3.
    I assume you mean U3?
    09-03-17 12:38 AM
    I assume you mean U3?
    Yes U3. My mistake.
    09-03-17 05:06 AM
    Not really. Recording 1080p video for most people is perfectly fast enough. No need to be faster than that.

It's also SanDisk's "ultra" range which is their "best value" for performance card. So even though it is their highest capacity card, it's not designed to be super fast.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro is their top of the line card. That has a read speeds of up to 275MB/s. And write of 100MB/s. Now that's pretty quick.

Posted via BlackBerry Leap (Crackberry Edition)
    09-04-17 01:07 AM
    The Snapdragon 617 in the 50 will only support up to UHS1.
    You will most likely see a bit of speed increase switching from UHS1 to UHS3, but you will never get the full 30MB/s. What you will get is the full UHS1 speed of 10MB/s, which is nearly never reached by the UHS1 cards.
    Is it worth paying the difference? That's your call, and I haven't priced them in a while, so it may very well be worth it.
    BTW - Qualcom doesn't mention the V class.
    09-04-17 09:33 AM
    The Snapdragon 617 in the 50 will only support up to UHS1.
    You will most likely see a bit of speed increase switching from UHS1 to UHS3, but you will never get the full 30MB/s. What you will get is the full UHS1 speed of 10MB/s, which is nearly never reached by the UHS1 cards.
    Is it worth paying the difference? That's your call, and I haven't priced them in a while, so it may very well be worth it.
    BTW - Qualcom doesn't mention the V class.
    The vast majority of devices won't support the UHS-II standard as they physically don't have the second row of pins. Newer devices are starting to though.
    09-04-17 10:42 PM
    The vast majority of devices won't support the UHS-II standard as they physically don't have the second row of pins.
    True, but the UHS 3 is backwards compatible, it will work. Since few cards will actually acheive their rated speed, the extra head room on a UHS3, should allow the device buss and processor to reach it's maximum.
    Anecdotal evidence seems to bear this out, though I'll readily admit iti could be the placebo effect.
    When I was shopping for cards, the price difference was substantial, (that may have changed). The UHS1 is plenty fast for the little 4K 30fps that I do.
    BTW - No BlackBerry supports the II standard or the 3 speed.
    09-05-17 09:18 AM
    True, but the UHS 3 is backwards compatible, it will work. Since few cards will actually acheive their rated speed, the extra head room on a UHS3, should allow the device buss and processor to reach it's maximum.
    Anecdotal evidence seems to bear this out, though I'll readily admit iti could be the placebo effect.
    When I was shopping for cards, the price difference was substantial, (that may have changed). The UHS1 is plenty fast for the little 4K 30fps that I do.
    BTW - No BlackBerry supports the II standard or the 3 speed.
    There's been multiple cases where the UHS-II cards performed worse. You're right though they are backwards compatible and they will run at UHS-I speeds.

Samsung has already implemented UHS-II support though, lets hope the next batch of BlackBerry devices also do.
    09-05-17 09:57 AM
    Phone is catered 16GB is not enough,if used SD as internal storage ,found the app sluggish. That is mine experienced .Thank
    09-06-17 07:37 AM
    Phone is catered 16GB is not enough,if used SD as internal storage ,found the app sluggish. That is mine experienced .Thank
    Internal is a really bad idea, just do a search, anywhere.
    And no SD is going to be as fast as the real internal memory.
    You have plenty of onboard memory for apps, IF you put pics, vids, music and any large text or spreadsheet file on an SD set up as external.
    If you format as internal, any apps that go on SD will be slower, some may not be noticable, others will be very obvious. And when something goes wrong, (and it happens a lot) nothing on the SD will be accessable, ever, on any device, including your computer. Something going wrong encompasses a whole lot more than a SD going bad.
    yeo123 likes this.
    09-06-17 09:20 AM