Hi friends,

right after the announcement of the DTek50 my father called me and wanted to know what I think of that device...

He also owns 2 devices right now: The Z10 (since 2013) and a Samsung Galaxy (since 2015).
    The Z10 is his daily driver, he handles all his e-mails with it and he takes it with him when he is on the road.
    But he also bought the Samsung Galaxy just because of some "daily" apps that are missing on OS10 - including
    a proper Facebook app and he needs WhatsApp to stay in contact with his friends & colleagues.
    He doesn't want to give up his beloved Z10 for the Galaxy, but he also doesn't like to be bothered around with "sideloading" and stuff like that - he only wants to pick up his phone and use it.
    Also he "trusts" his BlackBerry more than his Samsung.

So, he asked me what I think about the DTek50 (and I'm a die-hard OS10 fanboy) - but I told him: if he likes the form factor and doesn't mind using Android, this devices could be a solution for his "2 phone dilemma".
    It's "stock Android" as it can be, he his got beloved Hub, his beloved "flicking" keyboard and BlackBerry seems to do a great job to offer a secure Android as it can be!
    All the apps that are pre-loaded are security and productivity apps.

He kinda was looking forward to a device like that - especially the price is appealing to him.
    So he pre-ordered the DTek50 today!

I personally don't want a Android-Berry - but to see the DTek50 from my fathers perspective, it really makes sense!

What do you think?
    07-27-16 03:01 PM
    I think its a well thought purchase, it checks all the boxes when it comes to his needs.. He gets all the BlackBerry apps and features he likes + all the apps he needs.. Its the perfect solution for him and for $300 he got both of two worlds.. Good Luck with it, hope your father likes it
    07-27-16 03:06 PM
    Personally I would have waited for the Argon... if I were going to buy either.

But your Dad has the right idea, no sense "strugglings" just so you can keep using BB10.... If it works for you fine, but if you have to carry two phones, or have to give up something, it time to face the reality that BB10's better days are behind it.
    07-27-16 03:12 PM
    Thanks for your reply!
    Just a few days ago, I still was totally against this "Android-Berry" thing - from my point of view.
    And just accepted it for BlackBerry to generate some money & market share.

But after talking to my dad, it kinda changed my view - while talking with him about my thoughts.
    The DTek really makes sense.
    07-27-16 03:19 PM

But your Dad has the right idea, no sense "strugglings" just so you can keep using BB10.... If it works for you fine, but if you have to carry two phones, or have to give up something, it time to face the reality that BB10's better days are behind it.
    Also thank you for your reply!
    Yeah he has always been torn between this 2 devices. His loves the whole OS10 concept - but hates the app situation.
    Also he likes the Samsung device - but the bloatware drives him nuts.
    07-27-16 03:23 PM
    Also thank you for your reply!
    Yeah he has always been torn between this 2 devices. His loves the whole OS10 concept - but hates the app situation.
    Also he likes the Samsung device - but the bloatware drives him nuts.
    Bloatware can be disabled... but I like that with BlackBerry you should be getting regular updates with these non-carrier locked phones.

It's the "quality" that I'm not too sure about... this is a $200 hardware set. Have to wait and see what the early adopters have to say.
    07-27-16 03:30 PM

Btw I haven't seen anything from management until now confirming the argon.. Most rumors out there said the argon will come after the hamburg.. with the Rome being later in 2017.. Thurper never mentioned anything about a 3rd device in the webcast.. He only said that an android device with a PKB will be coming soon.

I'm very skeptical about the rumored 3rd device.. Everytime a BlackBerry official talks, there is mention of only 2 devices.. We've seen how the whole Neon, Argon & Mercury stuff ended up.. They went on with DTEK..
    07-27-16 03:50 PM
    Btw I haven't seen anything from management until now confirming the argon.. Most rumors out there said the argon will come after the hamburg.. with the Rome being later in 2017.. Thurper never mentioned anything about a 3rd device in the webcast.. He only said that an android device with a PKB will be coming soon.

I'm very skeptical about the rumored 3rd device.. Everytime a BlackBerry official talks, there is mention of only 2 devices.. We've seen how the whole Neon, Argon & Mercury stuff ended up.. They went on with DTEK..
    I was skeptical about any of them seeing the light of day... the Neon, Argon and Mercury were just in house names, most all BlackBerry today had a pre launch name that was very different from the names that we know them as today.

We'll just have to see...
    Slash82 likes this.
    07-27-16 03:56 PM
    I don't know you're dad but he sounds like me. I have Z30 and Samsung S5. I use the Z30 75% of the time and use the S5 for some apps. I ordered the Dtek50 and it will replace my S5 for sure and maybe even both if I like the BerryDroid features enough.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 04:29 PM
    I'm very skeptical about the rumored 3rd device..
    I hope to see an OS10 device - for me to upgrade.
    07-27-16 04:37 PM
    I don't know you're dad but he sounds like me. I have Z30 and Samsung S5. I use the Z30 75% of the time and use the S5 for some apps. I ordered the Dtek50 and it will replace my S5 for sure and maybe even both if I like the BerryDroid features enough.

Posted via CB10
    I really hope that the DTek50 is as good as the specs. say it is.
    Sure, it's not a high-end device, but it offers decent specs. for the price
    07-27-16 04:38 PM
    I would be lying if I said I wasn't impressed by the DTEK50. It has a great form factor, stock Android, low price, and the famous BlackBerry security. I don't see anything wrong with this phone whatsoever.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-27-16 04:41 PM
    I was skeptical about any of them seeing the light of day... the Neon, Argon and Mercury were just in house names, most all BlackBerry today had a pre launch name that was very different from the names that we know them as today.

We'll just have to see...
    I kinda thought Hamburg & Rome were the code-names.. Turns out they had two code-names for each one of them xD..
    07-27-16 04:48 PM
    Slash82 I think your father is a smart man. I think the DTEK 50 is going to be a big seller, and perform very well. I think it fills a big gap out there in the sense that we have BB standing behind and designing security for a phone that most of us can afford--plus we get lots of BB features that we love. Verge's review was good. I think the camera is going to be super. Kudos to your dad. For everyone who is waiting for Argon or the Mercury, I think it could be a good few months before the next phone as BB has to know for sure that DTEK is doing well.
    07-27-16 04:51 PM
    Thank you!
    That's really kind!
    Now this device totally makes sense - I hope it's that good as promised!
    Could be a hit!

Posted via CB10
    kitmo likes this.
    07-28-16 05:06 AM
    I agree. I'm going to order one for my wife too. Her Z30 is cracked (still works) but makes no sense to drop $280CDN for a Leap. She likes the keyboard and is used to the Hub.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    07-28-16 05:32 AM
    I kinda thought Hamburg & Rome were the code-names.. Turns out they had two code-names for each one of them xD..
    I think those were the original code names... maybe for these devies, maybe for other devcies that were left behind. City names was BlackBerry's way of doing code names....

But BlackBerry got a new Head of Devices back in April/May... I bet he made a few changes..
    07-28-16 07:20 AM
    I think those were the original code names... maybe for these devies, maybe for other devcies that were left behind. City names was BlackBerry's way of doing code names....

But BlackBerry got a new Head of Devices back in April/May... I bet he made a few changes..
    It would make sense.. Specially that the idea of another android device(s) was in the talk even back when the Priv was released.. So it must be the new head of devices who scrapped the old code-names.
    07-28-16 08:26 AM
    Like the OP, I love BB10 and still do. However, I moved on to Blackdroid after BB stopped updating the Android runtime. I didn't think apps were a really that big a deal, but the reality is, they are... If you choose to have your mobile device integrated with your professional and social life (thats my opinion at least). So for me, the Priv was the perfect combo (if BB could somehow do a skinned version of Android that 100% mimics BB10 gestures I'd be in heaven!). Likewise, I'm all in with the DTEK50 as thr lighter form factor is very appealing to me.

That said, I will happily go back to BB10 if BB releases another device. It is still, imo, the best mobile OS out there to date. I will still break out my PP SE as my weekend driver from time to time. It just sucks that apks are one by one, ceasing to work properly on it.
    07-28-16 10:05 AM