I've a confounding problem.

I've a 128 GB Lexar SD card installed on my DTEK50 and in all respects, save this one, it works as it should. It's formatted as storage and is home to all my media files.

Here's the problem: my 'music' folder on the SD card does NOT appear when I connect my DTEK50 to either my Mac (via Android File Transfer) or Windows 10 computers (as an USB disk). The folder's there because when I remove the SD card from the DTEK50, insert it into an adapter and connect it via USB to those same computers, the folder appears. All other directories on the SD card appear when connected to my computers so the difficulty is specific to this one folder.

Further, on the DTEK50, the ASUS File Manager and my music players recognize and can access the 'music' folder on the SD card.

Only when the SD card is installed in the DTEK50 and the phone's connected to my computers does the folder go AWOL. This is aggravating because sync'ing and accessing the contents of the missing directory when connected to my PCs requires removal of the card. Ugh.

Could the number of files within the AWOL directory -- there are thousands! -- exceed a threshold of the MTP protocol and cause the folder's invisibility? This is a recent development and I'm wondering if transferring all my music files over to the SD card has unwittingly caused the problem.

Any insights appreciated.
    07-21-17 08:11 PM
    Just a shot in the dark here.. Could the formatting be different ie: Fat vs eFat?
    07-23-17 08:31 AM
    And after making the USB connection to your computer you did swipe down from the top of the screen on your phone to change from Charge Only to File Transfer Mode?
    Neville A Daniels likes this.
    07-23-17 09:38 AM
    Additionally check that View Hidden Files is selected on the computer.
    07-23-17 09:48 AM
    07-23-17 09:54 AM
    I'm not sure how the formatting bears on the problem but I should I reiterate: the now invisible 'music' folder was originally visible and accessible (under the same disk format).

Edit: the card is formatted 'exFAT'; have also scanned the SD card: 'no problems found' Please find attached a snapshot of the card's properties.
    Attached Thumbnails MTP + SD card = missing folder when connected to computer.-sd-card-properties.png  
    Last edited by linguinee; 07-26-17 at 03:34 PM.
    07-26-17 02:37 PM
    And after making the USB connection to your computer you did swipe down from the top of the screen on your phone to change from Charge Only to File Transfer Mode?
    Yes. Know that ALL other folders on the SD card are visible and their contents accessible when the phone is plugged in to the computers. It's only the one folder, please find attached a snapshot of its properties (which are identical to those of the folders behaving correctly).
    Attached Thumbnails MTP + SD card = missing folder when connected to computer.-music-folder-properties.png  
    Last edited by linguinee; 07-26-17 at 03:36 PM.
    07-26-17 02:39 PM
    And make sure you have the MTP drivers installed: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...1570F46266A608
    Just re-installed the drivers (just on my Windows 10 laptop) and no-go. When connect via USB all folders except the troublesome directory is visible.

Arrgh.
    07-26-17 02:47 PM
    Just to provide some visual representations of the SD card's root level with the card installed in the DTEK50 (and the phone plugged into my laptop), graphic 1, and the card removed and connected via an USB adapter, graphic 2.

Note everything is the same in both instances EXCEPT the music folder is missing in the first instance. This is the outcome when the DTEK50 is plugged into both my Windows 10 laptop and my Mac desktop.
    Attached Thumbnails MTP + SD card = missing folder when connected to computer.-sd-card-root-level-plugged-.png.png   MTP + SD card = missing folder when connected to computer.-sd-card-root-level.png  
    07-26-17 03:30 PM
    Well, I don't what to make of this other than to conclude the android drivers for my (both Mac Sierra and Windows 10) computers are dodgy.

a) I thought I'd rename the troublesome 'music' folder to see if it would appear when installed in the DTEK50 and (the phone) conntected via USB to my computer. Success, it worked.

b) Sort of. Only several hundred files among the thousands of mp3s within the renamed folder would show up.

c) I reverted the folder name to the original, 'music'. Success!

d) Again, sort of. Though all the items within the re-re-named music folder show up now all the other folders at the root level of the SD card, excepting 'LOST.DIR', have disappeared. Stumped.

Again, removing the SD card from the phone, inserting it into an USB adapter, and connecting to the computers results in all files and folders on the SD card appearing and behaving correctly. So barring the problem solving itself I'll just have to resort to that method of editing contents of the SD card when using my computer. Also, there is no difficulty interacting with SD card from within the phone using (ASUS) File Manager.

I suspect something in the android drivers--MTP interface is awry. Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Last edited by linguinee; 07-26-17 at 09:05 PM.
    07-26-17 06:12 PM
    I'm wondering if this is a copy protection/DRM (Digital Rights Management) issue.
    07-26-17 06:13 PM
    In what way?
    07-26-17 09:03 PM
    I've got five DTEK50s in the house, all transferred over from Z10s. I've replaced ALL the sdcards. All of them. Before replacement, music files copied to the storage mode sdcard became corrupted whether I pulled out the card and copied directly or plugged in via USB. No amounts of reformatting fixed the issue. I simply replaced them all, and authorized the new cards as internal memory. Haven't had a problem since.

If you search these forums as well as others, you will find others having oddball sdcard issues with android. And there doesn't seem to be any solutions. I am betting that your "missing" directory might exist somewhere within this crazy android SD issue. Bad for you, rather than for me who was only replacing five 32GB cards. But 128GB prices aren't horrible lately.
    07-30-17 12:36 PM