So with the various tweaks to android, I've been able to extend battery life where I go to bed at 1am with anywhere from 20-45%, however I'm a medium user, and aside from crackberry and Facebook lite, I don't use social media. My have consists of taking pics, texting, browsing and light app usage.

With that aside, yesterday looking into my battery statistics, Google photos app has 12% usage. I didn't realize that it auto backed up my photos. I went into my Google settings and turned that off, as well as deleted about of the pics that were there. I consider myself knowledgeable enough that Google didn't data mine me, but dammit, they still do.

So far this morning, battery drain is less. I'm up at 5am and would normally be at around 84% or so by now 9am, but I'm at 91%.

Keep you all informed
    Johnny Dollar likes this.
    11-02-16 08:12 AM
    One of the recent Google Photos updates has been particularly hard on the battery.

I was having similar drain on my S7 so I disabled Google Photos altogether as I use One Drive for my main backup.

I have left Google Photos enabled on my DTEK60 so far and no issue.

But if you don't need/want the functionality shut it off for the sake of battery for sure.
    11-02-16 08:27 AM
    Go to Settings>Apps. Go through each app and do the following:
    1. Disable/uninstall/force stop apps that you don't or rarely use.
    2. Switch on Restrict background data as appropriate.
    3. Review and disallow permissions as appropriate.
    4. Periodically clear the data cache (not the app data).

You will have as few background running apps as possible, use less data and have better battery life.
    bh7171 and bbone99 like this.
    11-02-16 08:39 AM
    Go to Settings>Apps. Go through each app and do the following:
    1. Disable/uninstall/force stop apps that you don't or rarely use.
    2. Switch on Restrict background data as appropriate.
    3. Review and disallow permissions as appropriate.
    4. Periodically clear the data cache (not the app data).

You will have as few background running apps as possible, use less data and have better battery life.
    Yes, thank you. To be honest, I am familiar with those methods, I just wasn't aware, nor did I think that Google Photos was enabled by default. I use Quikpic as my photo gallery, works great, and light in resources
    11-02-16 10:22 AM
    With that aside, yesterday looking into my battery statistics, Google photos app has 12% usage. I didn't realize that it auto backed up my photos. I went into my Google settings and turned that off, as well as deleted about of the pics that were there. I consider myself knowledgeable enough that Google didn't data mine me, but dammit, they still do.
    I don't consider this data mining. That's a feature, backing up your photos to your own Google Drive account. Thyat's active on my Priv. Also, I use it on my iPhone. Photos from both devices are safely backed up, and all available in one place.

One of the pros listed for the new Pixels is the fact that Pixel owners get unlimited, original - sized backups. That's a huge feature to some.
    11-02-16 10:34 AM
    I like the backup too. I always use the "free" storage quality in Google Photos and have the full quality backed up to OneDrive since I have a little over a terabyte of storage there.

I have noticed one of the more recent Google Photos releases was hard on batteries though. One day it was about doubling my battery consumption in the morning at a time where I hadn't taken a photo in a few days. I disabled it at the time, but the current version seems to be fine. It's disabled on my S7 still but on my DTEK60 I have the most recent Google Photos release and it's working fine as far as battery consumption.
    11-02-16 01:41 PM
    Yes, thank you. To be honest, I am familiar with those methods, I just wasn't aware, nor did I think that Google Photos was enabled by default. I use Quikpic as my photo gallery, works great, and light in resources
    All google apps are enabled by default. I have completely disabled google photos and use piktures app myself.
    11-02-16 02:54 PM
    All google apps are enabled by default. I have completely disabled google photos and use piktures app myself.
    I didn't realize they were enabled by default, as I came from OS10, however now that I know, I've tweaked and saved a lot of battery in the process. Since my last post though, I stopped using Quikpic since there was a problem with deleting. I would have to hit delete 6-8 times in a row for it to take. I flipped over to piktures but I prefer the interface of quikpic far better though
    11-17-16 07:28 AM