Don't know how, but I cracked my screen - can barely see it but the top 15-20% of the screen is unresponsive to touch. And it looks like the image wont rotate either (I did not have screen rotation locked). This is going to be a problem for me.

I just can't afford hundreds of $ for a new phone right now - so I'm thinking my options are:
    -Pick up another used DTEK50
    -Replace the screen - and hope that fixes the rotation problem too?
    -Upgrade to maybe a used DTEK60?
    -Forget BB and just grab an Android phone - with a budget of maybe $150-200?

Suggestions?
    01-01-19 04:42 PM
    Me... I'd buy a new $200 Android phone, and then install the Suite of Apps.
    01-02-19 09:28 AM
    I would agree with Dunt _ _ to pick up a used phone. I was trying to sell a motoz3 brand new and no takers for 300 so deals are out there. I got it free with a better plan then I had. So I'm sure you can find a better quality used. Good luck. Same deal happened to my wife's dtek50. Was able to get phone info with computer. Screen was dead.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    01-02-19 09:45 AM
    So it appears the screen rotation is OK most of the time - that's making it usable for now.

All my critical data is on the SD card anyhow, so I can just pull that at any time. I just want my next phone to take a micro SD card - which I know is no longer a very popular thing to do
    01-02-19 11:41 AM
    if you're like the dtek 50 get another as there's going quite cheap and save a few quid in the process. but if your goings to spend money on another device look at one with decent specs.
    01-02-19 12:14 PM
    I've kinda decided to try to get a used DTEK60 - it has more ram and double the storage of the DTEK50. The 16gb internal storage has been quite a problem lately - seems like every time BB sent down an update I lost another gb. If I can't get a DTEK60 quickly, then I'll get the screen replaced while I shop for a new phone (slowly)

Thanks for all the replies!
    01-03-19 07:53 AM
    I've kinda decided to try to get a used DTEK60 - it has more ram and double the storage of the DTEK50. The 16gb internal storage has been quite a problem lately - seems like every time BB sent down an update I lost another gb. If I can't get a DTEK60 quickly, then I'll get the screen replaced while I shop for a new phone (slowly)

Thanks for all the replies!
    Don't bother with the DTEK60, it's EOL, hard to find, and the batteries are at the age when they're beginning to rot.
    01-03-19 09:57 AM
    Don't bother with the DTEK60, it's EOL, hard to find, and the batteries are at the age when they're beginning to rot.
    I appreciate the input, and if money was not an issue I'd have many more options. But the DTEK60 would:
    -Give me a working phone in my price range
    -Would be a significant upgrade from my DTEK50
    -Give me a phone with an SD card slot, which for me, is a requirement.
    -Give me base storage of 32gb, instead of the 16gb in the DTEK50
    -Still maintain all the stuff I'm used to (Blackberry hub, etc)
    -Has a headphone jack - also a requirement for me

The battery in my 50 is still good, and it's older than any DTEK60 - and let's face it, pretty much any phone I can afford is EOL or very close to it.
    01-03-19 12:38 PM
    Although - now that I see that the 60 is bigger than the 50, and has a different charging port, I'm shopping around again. Argh...
    01-03-19 12:47 PM
    I appreciate the input, and if money was not an issue I'd have many more options. But the DTEK60 would:
    -Give me a working phone in my price range
    -Would be a significant upgrade from my DTEK50
    -Give me a phone with an SD card slot, which for me, is a requirement.
    -Give me base storage of 32gb, instead of the 16gb in the DTEK50
    -Still maintain all the stuff I'm used to (Blackberry hub, etc)
    -Has a headphone jack - also a requirement for me

The battery in my 50 is still good, and it's older than any DTEK60 - and let's face it, pretty much any phone I can afford is EOL or very close to it.
    A 32GB Moto G6 or a Nokia 6/6.1 are in the ~$200 price range and both wipe the floor with the DTEK lineup, and tick all of the boxes in this post. Add on Cobalt's BB apps and you get all the pluses of the DTEK lineup without any of the minuses.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-G6-Unloc...UvbUpU13329917

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B4...UvbUpU13329917
    old volvo likes this.
    01-03-19 12:48 PM
    A 32GB Moto G6 or a Nokia 6/6.1 are in the ~$200 price range and both wipe the floor with the DTEK lineup, and tick all of the boxes in this post. Add on Cobalt's BB apps and you get all the pluses of the DTEK lineup without any of the minuses.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-G6-Unloc...UvbUpU13330284

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B4...UvbUpU13330284
    Thanks - I was actually looking at the Moto - so that's my leading candidate now
    01-04-19 08:20 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-G6-Unloc...UvbUpU13330826

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B4...UvbUpU13330826
    Thanks again thurask - last night I ordered the Moto 6, even though it uses USB-C charging instead of microUSB. Yes, I know that's supposed to be a plus, but my collection of charging cables say otherwise :-) - I did order some adapters for now and gradually I'll get new cables.

I'm also not trilled with the size. I really didn't want a phone bigger than the DTEK50, but the trend towards bigger screens is very hard to avoid. Honestly, the DTEK50 was larger than I would prefer. Maybe I should pull out my Z10 and see if it still works?

I was also looking at the Moto G6 Play - a few bucks less, and has microUSB - but the slower processor concerned me - and the screen didn't get great reviews - seemed like too many tradeoffs just to save $20.

The Nokia intrigued me, but there were too many bad reviews from people on AT&T, which is my carrier.

So by tomorrow I'll be working on setting up the new Moto - I'll have to figure out how to get the BB hub on there - thanks again to everyone for the advice!
    01-05-19 07:53 AM
    Thanks again thurask - last night I ordered the Moto 6, even though it uses USB-C charging instead of microUSB. Yes, I know that's supposed to be a plus, but my collection of charging cables say otherwise :-) - I did order some adapters for now and gradually I'll get new cables.

I'm also not trilled with the size. I really didn't want a phone bigger than the DTEK50, but the trend towards bigger screens is very hard to avoid. Honestly, the DTEK50 was larger than I would prefer. Maybe I should pull out my Z10 and see if it still works?

I was also looking at the Moto G6 Play - a few bucks less, and has microUSB - but the slower processor concerned me - and the screen didn't get great reviews - seemed like too many tradeoffs just to save $20.

The Nokia intrigued me, but there were too many bad reviews from people on AT&T, which is my carrier.

So by tomorrow I'll be working on setting up the new Moto - I'll have to figure out how to get the BB hub on there - thanks again to everyone for the advice!
    HUB is easy... download from Google Play and pay the subscription every month. Or find Cobalt's BlackBerry Manager and install it, and then each app you want.
    old volvo likes this.
    01-07-19 07:47 AM