It seems like people are pretty happy with their dtek phones and the price is amazing. I'm still a little confused about one thing though and please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question but Matty mentioned you can't load the Blackberry Android OS on another phone because it has security features on it. But is the security not in the dtek app? And is that app along with the hub, launcher, bbm, password keeper and keyboard now free to download for any Android device? If this is the case price and devices aside what makes any "Blackberry" branded phone a Blackberry?
    It's laid out nicely in a flow chart by the executives from BlackBerry.

What makes their phones the most secure:

1. Hardware root of trust - special encryption of the chipset
    2. Hardened android kernel
    3. Zero day patching
    4. Dtek app

With the dtek50 you're missing factor number 3

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    01-02-17 02:19 PM
    Well, I think i'm going to take the plunge on the dtek50. I'm still a little worried about how the Snapdragon 617 will hold out over two years. But I guess the good thing is that I won't be in a contract so I can upgrade early if I find it does not hold out. It will be my first non hardware keyboard phone so that will be interesting. Thanks for all the input.
    01-03-17 10:02 AM
    Well, I think i'm going to take the plunge on the dtek50. I'm still a little worried about how the Snapdragon 617 will hold out over two years. But I guess the good thing is that I won't be in a contract so I can upgrade early if I find it does not hold out. It will be my first non hardware keyboard phone so that will be interesting. Thanks for all the input.
    It's a good test phone for seeing if you like Android and all that. Congrats and have fun!
    01-03-17 12:11 PM
    It would be good to hear how you get on with this new dtek50
    01-03-17 01:05 PM
    Give it a couple weeks and you will be beyond impressed at its capabilities and it's price point. I know I will no longer spend more than 200-300 on a mobile phone. Just like I will no longer spend more than 100-130 on a tablet after getting the new 8 inch Fire Tablet. Good screen, speed, sound and capable of running any Android app.
    01-03-17 03:42 PM
    Here are a few app suggestions for your DTEK50. Textra (I bought the ad free pro version for 1.99) ASUS File Manager. And AccuWeather Pro (I am not a fan of ads) I only wish BBM had a one time ad free version or better yet make it ad free on any BlackBerry branded device! I also like the Google wallpaper app and lastly AppLock.
    01-03-17 03:49 PM
    When the 60 came out I sold my DTEK50 and for me it was worth it. Also meant I only really spent $300.

Finger ID, 32GB plus 4GB RAM. 5.5" and still light weight. It runs smoothly so maybe Samsung throws lichen sink in theirs as I like this better than the S7 I tried out for a month. The system there was 14GB vs 9 for DTEK60.
    01-03-17 04:28 PM
    Give it a couple weeks and you will be beyond impressed at its capabilities and it's price point. I know I will no longer spend more than 200-300 on a mobile phone. Just like I will no longer spend more than 100-130 on a tablet after getting the new 8 inch Fire Tablet. Good screen, speed, sound and capable of running any Android app.
    Any specific fire? I've been wanting a tablet for a while but Samsung's are either too pricy or crap haha
    01-03-17 05:57 PM
    The 60 looks great as well, but it's a lot more money and for me (and this is just a preference) the 5.5 inch screen is too big. I think the 5.2" will be a decent size for me especially transitioning from my Q10. I'll let everyone know what I think of it. The biggest stumbling block for me will be the lack of a physical keyboard. By the way thanks for the app suggestions bh7171.
    bh7171 likes this.
    01-03-17 06:30 PM
    Any specific fire? I've been wanting a tablet for a while but Samsung's are either too pricy or crap haha
    I bought the new Fire 8 32 GB (ad free version) with taxes it was @ 132 dollars. Excellent- very pleased. You can easily side load Google Play and or any single app using File Explorer. The Fire OS is based on Marshmallow and runs exceptionally well. Great battery life, good screen, speakers etc. Only thing not so good is the cameras but I rarely if ever use them, similar to my Samsung Tab Pro's. I use my new Fire far more. Perfect size
    01-03-17 08:42 PM
    The 60 looks great as well, but it's a lot more money and for me (and this is just a preference) the 5.5 inch screen is too big. I think the 5.2" will be a decent size for me especially transitioning from my Q10. I'll let everyone know what I think of it. The biggest stumbling block for me will be the lack of a physical keyboard. By the way thanks for the app suggestions bh7171.
    I've had the 50 since launch back in July. I've never looked back.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-03-17 09:41 PM
    You should buy a playbook too while you're at it, you can sideload android apps on it as well.

#whatisclassic
    01-04-17 01:32 PM
    You should buy a playbook too while you're at it, you can sideload android apps on it as well.

#whatisclassic
    Good luck finding working apks that are old enough lolol
    01-04-17 07:14 PM
    I bought the new Fire 8 32 GB (ad free version) with taxes it was @ 132 dollars. Excellent- very pleased. You can easily side load Google Play and or any single app using File Explorer. The Fire OS is based on Marshmallow and runs exceptionally well. Great battery life, good screen, speakers etc. Only thing not so good is the cameras but I rarely if ever use them, similar to my Samsung Tab Pro's. I use my new Fire far more. Perfect size
    That sounds perfect!
    01-04-17 07:15 PM

#whatisclassic
    I have one of those as well. It's a good alarm clock and that's about it.
    relyc likes this.
    01-04-17 11:15 PM
    I have one of those as well. It's a good alarm clock and that's about it.
    My dad gave me two lol school district was throwing them in the garbage
    01-04-17 11:27 PM
    Haha I have an old Playbook as well. Its a good 64 Gig storage device and does a good job playing music especially if I plug it in to my Bose. That's about it though.
    relyc and bh7171 like this.
    01-05-17 07:46 PM
    Haha I have an old Playbook as well. Its a good 64 Gig storage device and does a good job playing music especially if I plug it in to my Bose. That's about it though.
    Woahh look at this guy! JK kinda cool that they are still out there
    relyc likes this.
    01-05-17 08:08 PM
    Ditto about the alarm clock. Still keeps on ticking.
    01-06-17 08:50 PM
    So a week with the Dtek50 and it has been an interesting transition. So what do I miss and what do I like. I miss my keyboard from my Q10, and I miss BB10 especially swipe gestures (why did people not like this intuitive and very easy to use OS), I miss how small and solid my phone felt. What do I like about the dtek50: It's still a Blackberry especially with the hub which I personally love. Though the compact size of the Q10 was great the added screen size of the 50 is pretty good for viewing any kind of video. The device is fast and crisp compared to the q10. The Android OS is going to take some getting used too but I like the compatibility with google. Access to apps puts the Q10 to shame. The camera looks like a huge upgrade. The size of the phone is much bigger but the slim aspect of the phone helps to mitigate that issue. Overall I like the device. I will update this after a month or so when I have learned a little more about the phone. So far so good. The snapdragon 617 has not been an issue at all so far.
    Johnny Dollar likes this.
    01-10-17 09:54 PM
    Glad the phone is going well for you. I've had my dtek50 since the beginning of November and it's working out great. At the moment I have no complaints or any thing that I would change about the phone, even the battery life is good. I use a blackberry flip case with the phone as someone else pointed out which adds a bit more weight to the device as it feels really light without it.
    01-11-17 11:29 AM
    Is 16GB sufficient for you guys? I know it has a SD card expansion slot.
    01-11-17 01:17 PM
    Is 16GB sufficient for you guys? I know it has a SD card expansion slot.
    Hope so, I have added a 64gb card and now thinking about getting a larger one as the internal is building up quickly. Also set the card up as internal storage Looking at DTEK50-screenshot_20170111-192109.jpg
    01-11-17 01:25 PM
    according to mercury info, 32 Gb on board and after software package you still got 24 Gb... assume similar for dtek 50, 8 Gbish for BB software package, Falbo, you somehow used up another 3Gb for your app...I guess? 16Gb is a bit tight, but not bad... (according to the net, many 16 Gb after the "MFG" software package with carrier bloadware, you only get 4 or 5Gb left for on board).
    01-11-17 01:44 PM
    You'd get more out of looking at paint drying on a wall than at the dtek50

#whatisclassic
    01-11-17 03:15 PM
86 1234