View Poll Results: Should the DTEK50 have an RGB notification LED?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 75.57%
  • No

1 0.76%
  • Doesn't matter

31 23.66%
    How often do the ringtones repeat & how long do they continue?
    I just have trouble with the white light at night. It's piercing when aimed toward me and horribly annoying when not. Phone has to be turned off or some other option to prevent it. One of the reasons my Android is in its box in a drawer.

That's just me though for others I'm sure it's not a problem.
    Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 09-03-16 at 11:53 PM.
    09-03-16 11:26 PM
    These apps have to turn the screen on (even those parts that are 'black' will be on), and therefore consume too much battery power, at least for my liking.
    yea exactly Dtek has not amoled screen so even black colour consumes baterry

Well this threat it doesn even have to contain a poll why because When people have something and then after that you take it from them of course they feel worst because they where able to use it in other way before but now not at all as before ....
    09-04-16 06:38 AM
    Be thankful it actually HAS a LED since it's rare for an Android device to have one.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-04-16 10:32 AM
    Really, who cares about RGB colors.
    I don't. I just want the Red... so no DTEK for me!
    09-14-16 10:25 AM
    Why don't you try something new? Get a smartwatch and combine it with a DTEK50 and you will not miss the LED because you see everything decent on the watch. By the way: thats what I'm still doing together with my Q10 and I don't use the LED anymore....

Why just complaining about such a little hardware change and not finding out all the benefit, the new Blackberry has?

Complaining will not change the hardware into a RGB-LED. Having a look around for other possibilities, may be a way, that leads to a solution.

I'm quite sure there are some ways to finde a compromise with the hardware of the DTEK50.

For me it is to big and I want the option for replacing the accu. So I keep the Q10 - without complains...

Nevertheless: the DTEK50 is a very good phone!
    Yeah just replace your simple RGB light with a $550 light on your wrist. Don't know why it's such a problem? It fun to charge two things instead of just one, that gets boring. Also I love having something else on me that I can break or scratch or have just fail on me. I honestly don't know why people are so hung up on an efficient low power consumption piece of tech that make you life too simple and lest busy.
    SARCASTICALLY SARCASTIC!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 12:28 PM
    I understand that the phone is intended to have a lower price point, but the cost differential for an RGB LED vs a white LED can't be that much. The part is a few cents more expensive at best, installation is the same, so it comes down to programmability. One would figure an LED can't be that difficult, but I'll defer to people with more expertise.
    09-14-16 01:41 PM
    Yeah just replace your simple RGB light with a $550 light on your wrist. Don't know why it's such a problem? It fun to charge two things instead of just one, that gets boring. Also I love having something else on me that I can break or scratch or have just fail on me. I honestly don't know why people are so hung up on an efficient low power consumption piece of tech that make you life too simple and lest busy.
    SARCASTICALLY SARCASTIC!!!

Posted via CB10
    Yes feel good with your complaints! I paid 80€ for my Q10 and 50€ for the Smartwatch - without complaints...

The white LED still stays white!
    09-15-16 02:08 AM
    I understand that the phone is intended to have a lower price point, but the cost differential for an RGB LED vs a white LED can't be that much. The part is a few cents more expensive at best, installation is the same, so it comes down to programmability. One would figure an LED can't be that difficult, but I'll defer to people with more expertise.
    +You are right, the white LED and RGB-LED have the same price
    -No, you are wrong, installation is not the same: white LED need just two pins, RGB-LED have a own controller or three pins, which means, the hardware must be adjusted for RGB-LED and is different to white LED.
    -it's not that easy to change the hardware for RGB-LED especially, if you just want to buy a phone and put your lable on it, like Blackberry did it with the DTEK50.
    09-15-16 03:59 AM
    Honestly, the fact that it even has a notification LED is great. For phones without, your only choice to check if messages came in is to turn on the screen. I feel like that definitely starts to add up in the world of battery life.
    09-15-16 10:06 AM
    +You are right, the white LED and RGB-LED have the same price
    -No, you are wrong, installation is not the same: white LED need just two pins, RGB-LED have a own controller or three pins, which means, the hardware must be adjusted for RGB-LED and is different to white LED.
    -it's not that easy to change the hardware for RGB-LED especially, if you just want to buy a phone and put your lable on it, like Blackberry did it with the DTEK50.
    An RGB LED would really need at least 4 pins - a common ground and three for each of the three color elements. But the rest is right. The controller is more complex because it needs take in what is asked of it and control each element to varying brightness to make the color requested of it, as well as on or off.

A single element LED only needs a controller that turns one element on or off - and maybe some brightness changes.

I don't know the difference in how much actual space is taken up between the two types, but I'm sure it would involve a motherboard circuit change, hardware chip set changes to know what's there, software drivers to let the OS know what's there.

Not an easy swap-out.

And this has been brought up several times in this thread already.

Maybe the next full touch - if it is also made by TCL, and real - will have an RGB LED. Plenty of time has gone by to allow for any necessary hardware changes to accommodate one.

Posted via CB10
    Jenserm likes this.
    09-15-16 12:05 PM
    GUESS what , BB listening to as and they made the DTEK 60 with only RED light pathetic!
    10-31-16 03:49 PM
    GUESS what , BB listening to as and they made the DTEK 60 with only RED light pathetic!
    They don't really have much choice. They can only work with the puzzle pieces that TCL can supply.
    10-31-16 03:54 PM
    Hehe lol

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    10-31-16 05:34 PM
    What do you guys think of the lack of the RGB notification LED that has been a staple of BlackBerry smartphones for years? Honestly, this is a major issue for me. I rely on the red notification LED to let me know if I missed a notification while away from my phone.
    Seriously? Sometimes I am utterly amazed at the nit picky stuff on this CrackBerry site. I liked the red light too, but I think I missed it for all of 20 seconds on the deep end... maybe... as far as it being a 'to be, or not to be...' deal breaker. I don't even have enough brain cells left to waste them on that quandary. 😒
    11-01-16 10:38 AM
    Seriously? Sometimes I am utterly amazed at the nit picky stuff on this CrackBerry site. I liked the red light too, but I think I missed it for all of 20 seconds on the deep end... maybe... as far as it being a 'to be, or not to be...' deal breaker. I don't even have enough brain cells left to waste them on that quandary. 😒
    Not so "nit picky" in my opinion. It's been a BlackBerry trademark that many of us have grown accustomed to and rely on. I agree that in time we can grow used to a change, but it's still a shocker for a guy like me who has never used anything but BlackBerry (since "08!). The principle of change isn't always easy in many, many aspects of life, especially for something as important as a communication device that's integral to today's lifestyles.
    11-02-16 06:54 PM
    I wouldn't say it's nitpicking either. Having the coloured notifications makes things a lot easier. Not only is it helpful for those with hearing impairments but as a convenience too.

And yes, after years of being able to choose a colour for emails, texts, twitter, BBM, etc... Being stuck with a single white light is a bit of a change.

Now, would I go as far as saying it would stop me from buying the phone? No. But I could see why some might feel that way.
    jamesharmeling and ZoeMell like this.
    11-02-16 08:50 PM
    I wish the led was rgb, but I learned to live with it and make it work.

Much like I learned to live without bbos, tool belt, convenience key (which is finally back), physical keyboard, and now bb10. Fact of the matter is that things change. We can whine about it (which doesn't usually do anything), or learn to adapt and live with it (it's called moving forward).

Sometimes change sucks. A lot of times it really sucks. But it'll happen whether we want it to or not.
    11-03-16 10:25 AM
    Not so "nit picky" in my opinion. It's been a BlackBerry trademark that many of us have grown accustomed to and rely on. I agree that in time we can grow used to a change, but it's still a shocker for a guy like me who has never used anything but BlackBerry (since "08!). The principle of change isn't always easy in many, many aspects of life, especially for something as important as a communication device that's integral to today's lifestyles.
    The world continues to rotate, even if the notification is white instead of red. No world's collide that I'm aware of... seems all is still right in the universe. 🙍
    11-14-16 06:58 AM
    The world continues to rotate, even if the notification is white instead of red. No world's collide that I'm aware of... seems all is still right in the universe. 🙍
    Yes, but I like my world to rotate in colorful little blinking lights. A universe without color is indeed still a universe, yet it lacks ....little colorful blinking lights. Lol
    Ursus Rufus and JayIsNewHere like this.
    11-15-16 06:38 PM
    Yeah, because the LED is white, it actually is super annoying at night, i've found i have to turn the phone upside down, which i'm worried will scratch the screen (even though it probably won't)
    01-03-17 11:03 AM
    Yeah, because the LED is white, it actually is super annoying at night, i've found i have to turn the phone upside down, which i'm worried will scratch the screen (even though it probably won't)
    I too find the white blinking light absolutely annoying and I don't use it. Sitting here now contemplating firing up my PRIV, but patiently waiting for the Mercury which SHOULD have rgb.
    01-07-17 09:10 AM
    With the crap they built the dtek50 with it actually probably would loll
    01-07-17 01:57 PM
    These apps have to turn the screen on (even those parts that are 'black' will be on), and therefore consume too much battery power, at least for my liking.
    Just downloaded and installed, for now it seems to work flawlessly, the app ("No LED", it is called) is fitted with an option to reduce battery drain. I will test it for a day or two, so as to notice if it might work just as the RGB led on my other phone. I have chosen to customize only SMS, emails, WhatsApp and fb messenger that are the functions I most use to receive messages. You still have white RGB blinking, but on top left-hand corner of the screen you find a coloured dot according to the different notification you got. Other similar apps either do not allow enough customizations or you have to pay to get them

From my awesome Z30
    JayIsNewHere likes this.
    01-08-17 10:02 AM
    Android is lack as itself.
    JayIsNewHere likes this.
    01-11-17 04:49 AM
    What do you guys think of the lack of the RGB notification LED that has been a staple of BlackBerry smartphones for years? Honestly, this is a major issue for me. I rely on the red notification LED to let me know if I missed a notification while away from my phone.
    What do I think? I think this is yet another example why android is a joke. Garbage. Blackberry OS's death is the death of how a functional communication device should work.
    Tried the PRIV for a year, now DTEK. Android ruins them both.
    I'm going to get my z30 out from storage until this contract is up, then switching to Apple.
    05-27-18 08:43 PM
203 ... 6789