View Poll Results: Should the DTEK50 have an RGB notification LED?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 75.57%
  • No

1 0.76%
  • Doesn't matter

31 23.66%
    OK this selfie-flash is a valid argument that i didn't think of. I personally would prefer the rgb over a selfie- flash. Maybe I'm too old fashioned for such a phone.
    08-30-16 07:37 AM
    OK this selfie-flash is a valid argument that i didn't think of. I personally would prefer the rgb over a selfie- flash. Maybe I'm too old fashioned for such a phone.
    If too would have preferred multiple colours for the led as I have a good system on my passport and I will miss it when I switch, that said the selfie flash will be handy for me too.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 07:57 AM
    The watch is always on. So it looks as a usual watch in the first place. And there are several watchfaces with - for example - notification counter for several different message types. There is always a way to have a information depth of a RGB-LED.

The smartwatch has buttons. If I need silence: I push just one button and I don't get notifications. This is something I don't need to look at the watch.

...anyway, I have understood: this is not the "let's see what we can do with a missing RGB-LED"- Thread, it's just the "Life without RGB-LED sucks and I can't help myself"-Thread...

...or is here anybody who has an DTEK 50 and tried some ways to use the white LED?
    A screen that is on without the back-light is not like a regular watch...

And I don't understand why you have a hard time accepting that just because it works for you it doesn't mean it fits everyone else's needs exactly. Really is that such a hard concept to grasp?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-30-16 10:57 AM
    Coz then Your selfie camera would have a red flash. The selfie flash is an unusual feature they must value it more highly then rgb led.

Posted via CB10
    So it has to be one or the other? I'm honestly asking, I've taken apart phones many times but honestly don't remember looking at any of the notification LEDs to remember how much room they take up...

08-30-16 11:00 AM
    So it has to be one or the other? I'm honestly asking, I've taken apart phones many times but honestly don't remember looking at any of the notification LEDs to remember how much room they take up...

My understanding now is that it COULD be rgb, switched to white for selfie flash, but in the dtek, this wouldn't work, as a rgb light needs 4 pins, and the Idol's 'reference design' only supports 2 pin configurations.
    So either 2 pin red only, and no selfie flash, or 2 pin white, and no BlackBerry red nor rgb.
    08-30-16 11:41 AM
    Problem solved: Won't buy any phone including the De-Tech, that doesn't have an RGB LED. Simple. Comes down to that old advice: Caveat Emptor.

Rather have a device without any light notification than one like my Android with only white. Only my opinion, for a grain of salt.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 12:47 PM
    My understanding now is that it COULD be rgb, switched to white for selfie flash, but in the dtek, this wouldn't work, as a rgb light needs 4 pins, and the Idol's 'reference design' only supports 2 pin configurations.
    So either 2 pin red only, and no selfie flash, or 2 pin white, and no BlackBerry red nor rgb.
    Oh I don't mean for the DTEK. That phone was already designed before BB had anything to do with it. Was just asking in general like would we possibly see phones in the near future with both a front flash and a rgb led indicator or if it wouldn't be simple to build into a future phone.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-30-16 01:49 PM
    I think a rgb light just needs to be set to white to act as a selfie flash?
    But maybe a tech person can give a more profound answer.
    08-30-16 02:25 PM
    I think a rgb light just needs to be set to white to act as a selfie flash?
    But maybe a tech person can give a more profound answer.
    I don't think the RGB LED's in your typical Blackberry are bright enough to act as a flash. I dunno, might be possible to make it work.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 11:27 PM
    A screen that is on without the back-light is not like a regular watch...

And I don't understand why you have a hard time accepting that just because it works for you it doesn't mean it fits everyone else's needs exactly. Really is that such a hard concept to grasp?

I don't have a hard time - not at all!

Lack of RGB notification LED-mockit_31082016093754.jpg

Lack of RGB notification LED-mockit_31082016094559.jpg

If there are owner of the DTEK 50, who want just a kind of notification with similar information depth of an RGB-LED, just have a look into the play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.notify&hl=de

There are some other ways, to get the similar information of a RGB-LED out of the phone.
    Last edited by Jenserm; 08-31-16 at 03:30 AM.
    08-31-16 02:54 AM

If there are owner of the DTEK 50, who want just a kind of notification with similar information depth of an RGB-LED, just have a look into the play store:

There are some other ways, to get the similar information of a RGB-LED out of the phone.
    These apps have to turn the screen on (even those parts that are 'black' will be on), and therefore consume too much battery power, at least for my liking.
    Paraliotis3 likes this.
    08-31-16 05:07 AM
    I don't have a hard time - not at all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MockIt_31082016093754.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	341.7 KB 
ID:	407525

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MockIt_31082016094559.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	407526

If cherry-picking the parameters is what you need in order to prove your "point" then hey, thanks. :-)

This is more what I consider a watch:

Lack of RGB notification LED-seiko-seiko-mens-alarm-chronograph-solar-powered-watch-ssc005p1-p201-370_image.jpg

I never even liked the digital watches before the smartwatches came out like the black and white Pebble you pictured, or the newer style ones with a competely different screen you didn't picture like the Samsung Gears or Apple Watches you didn't picture. Again, just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone, no mater how you try to spin it. I know it makes you feel better if you think we all have the same needs and wants, but unfortunately the world doesn't work that way...

08-31-16 05:50 AM
    These apps have to turn the screen on (even those parts that are 'black' will be on), and therefore consume too much battery power, at least for my liking.
    Shhhhh, stop, obviously you're wrong and it fits your needs perfectly just because he/she thinks it should...

gnirkatto likes this.
    08-31-16 05:52 AM
    You guys are funny! I'm not here, to convince you for something. I'm just bringing out my opinion, which - oh my fault - fits not to yours.

I'm quite sure, this thread will not only be read by people who would never buy a DTEK50. So I just post my thoughts about solutions. Maybe interested people find something else than just complaining.

About battery life and this No-LED-App - yes this is a point. But the DTEK 50 needs regular charging anyway and maybe some users will try the app. I'm interested to know, how much accu consumption the app produces on the DTEK 50. Maybe somebody could try the app.

Now enjoy complaining again and revel in the good old days with RGB-LED!
    08-31-16 06:38 AM
    You guys are funny! I'm not here, to convince you for something. I'm just bringing out my opinion, which - oh my fault - fits not to yours.

I'm quite sure, this thread will not only be read by people who would never buy a DTEK50. So I just post my thoughts about solutions. Maybe interested people find something else than just complaining.

About battery life and this No-LED-App - yes this is a point. But the DTEK 50 needs regular charging anyway and maybe some users will try the app. I'm interested to know, how much accu consumption the app produces on the DTEK 50. Maybe somebody could try the app.

Now enjoy complaining again and revel in the good old days with RGB-LED!
    "...then please: open your mind and be free for something new or just keep your good old Blackberry.

If I read all the comments about blackberry and the "good old times" here, it feels for me like most of the people here must be mentally retired since ages."

It's all just your opinion until you start trying to accuse people with opinions different than yours as being "old" or unable to accept something "new" as if a white LED is newer than a RGB one...

08-31-16 05:12 PM
    It's all just your opinion until you start trying to accuse people with opinions different than yours as being "old" or unable to accept something "new" as if a white LED is newer than a RGB one...
    Agree with your point(s) overall, Slagman, but I think (could be wrong) that technically, white LED is actually newer than RG but not B. What I recall (again could be wrong, haha!) is that the team that came up with the blue LED won the Nobel prize. That's because blue was the last one to be invented, after red & green had been around for ages. With blue added to R&G, they were able to get white, and with white, among other things, long lasting lightbulbs, and, well, phone screens. AND, annoyingly bright in the night white notification lights that I don't like. :P
    slagman5 likes this.
    08-31-16 07:42 PM
    "...then please: open your mind and be free for something new or just keep your good old Blackberry.

If I read all the comments about blackberry and the "good old times" here, it feels for me like most of the people here must be mentally retired since ages."

What do you want to say to me? A real watch must be analog - your opinion, that's ok for me, I have a second opinion, so what?

If I have my opinion about all the complains about a missing RGB-LED on a new phone and make some suggestions how somebody could handle with it, which doesn't fit to your or others opinion, I should stop posting it?

And of course, I did not mean to say, a white LED is newer than a RGB LED, but the DTEK50 is the newest blackberry model with some other new features than just a missing RGB-LED. That's what I compare.

Maybe there are users of a DTEK50, who could give examples of how they use th white LED. This would be interesting for me to know. Of course you are all free to complain about something that will not change for you on the DTEK50.
    Last edited by Jenserm; 09-01-16 at 01:32 AM.
    09-01-16 12:41 AM
    Can someone say if the white LED indicator for messages is at a reduced brightness? Also, does it blink until the message has been viewed?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-16 06:41 AM
    Can someone say if the white LED indicator for messages is at a reduced brightness? Also, does it blink until the message has been viewed?

Posted via CB10
    If it's anything like the white indicator light on my Motorola (& I suspect it is) it is just the right amount of brightness.

As in, not always that noticeable during the day, depending on the location & how bright the surroundings are (& especially at a bit of a distance) but way too bright in a dark room, at night.
    Perfect, in other words. Perfectly annoying.

And again, if it's similar to my Android, it will keep blinking for days unless attended to.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-01-16 07:17 AM
    Agree with your point(s) overall, Slagman, but I think (could be wrong) that technically, white LED is actually newer than RG but not B. What I recall (again could be wrong, haha!) is that the team that came up with the blue LED won the Nobel prize. That's because blue was the last one to be invented, after red & green had been around for ages. With blue added to R&G, they were able to get white, and with white, among other things, long lasting lightbulbs, and, well, phone screens. AND, annoyingly bright in the night white notification lights that I don't like. :P
    Lol, could be. I haven't looked into the history of LED's. But my main point still stands. :-)

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-01-16 11:58 AM
    What do you want to say to me? A real watch must be analog - your opinion, that's ok for me, I have a second opinion, so what?

If I have my opinion about all the complains about a missing RGB-LED on a new phone and make some suggestions how somebody could handle with it, which doesn't fit to your or others opinion, I should stop posting it?

And of course, I did not mean to say, a white LED is newer than a RGB LED, but the DTEK50 is the newest blackberry model with some other new features than just a missing RGB-LED. That's what I compare.

Maybe there are users of a DTEK50, who could give examples of how they use th white LED. This would be interesting for me to know. Of course you are all free to complain about something that will not change for you on the DTEK50.
    Never said a thing about what you'd prefer. You're writing and spending time making memes basically suggesting that "Look at how much better these digital watches are compared to these old fashioned watches that you old out-of-touch people prefer like rotary phones." I'm simply stating that while that works for you, it doesn't work for everyone. Like I've said in the post you quoted, it's all fine and dandy that you enjoy those things, but don't speak condescendingly to those who don't believe your "solutions" would work for them as well. If they work for you, awesome, keep using them.

Ursus Rufus and CerveloJohn like this.
    09-01-16 12:01 PM
    Yes i know it would be nice to have but it doesnt so anyways this does not mean its a bad device or a cheap chinise one its a great device at least have a white led and a selfie flash !!
    09-01-16 02:37 PM
    Lol, could be. I haven't looked into the history of LED's. But my main point still stands. :-)

Agreed! :-)

Addendum:

Read up on it. It's a fascinating tale of mystery and scientific imagination. Apparently blue was really hard to do. Hence the Nobel prize.
    09-01-16 03:10 PM
    Check out my Flash Notification app to use the front led for notification alerts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ysoft.frontled

Posted via CB10
    09-02-16 08:58 AM
    At first i thought i'd hate the phone because of the led. I don't even have my notification light on. Im just glad i can change my notification tones with different sounds
    09-03-16 12:50 PM
203 ... 56789