View Poll Results: Should the DTEK50 have an RGB notification LED?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 75.57%
  • No

1 0.76%
  • Doesn't matter

31 23.66%
    ...then please: open your mind and be free for something new or just keep your good old Blackberry.

If I read all the comments about blackberry and the "good old times" here, it feels for me like most of the people here must be mentally retired since ages.
    Why change something good?
    I dont like the white led on the chentek.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-16 01:59 AM
    Why change something good?
    I dont like the white led on the chentek.

Posted via CB10
    Why don't you try something new? Get a smartwatch and combine it with a DTEK50 and you will not miss the LED because you see everything decent on the watch. By the way: thats what I'm still doing together with my Q10 and I don't use the LED anymore....

Why just complaining about such a little hardware change and not finding out all the benefit, the new Blackberry has?

Complaining will not change the hardware into a RGB-LED. Having a look around for other possibilities, may be a way, that leads to a solution.

I'm quite sure there are some ways to finde a compromise with the hardware of the DTEK50.

For me it is to big and I want the option for replacing the accu. So I keep the Q10 - without complains...

Nevertheless: the DTEK50 is a very good phone!
    Last edited by Jenserm; 08-26-16 at 04:01 AM.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-26-16 02:24 AM
    Sorry make that 31 hours since last charge. Don't know where a week on predictive came from !!!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    LOL if you got 31 hours out of the DTEK you barely touched it for those 31 hours.
    08-26-16 03:26 AM
    my wife missing the diffrence colors on the DTEK50 and I was thinkinh to chance my Z3 + passport for this device but waiting for better led notification and battery
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-26-16 12:35 PM
    I can see missing them. I look at the blinking blue, I know it's my son and I better check, I see the purple, I know it is just an ongoing conversation that is not urgent, I see the white, it's another friend and I can probably wait (or they would ping me), I see red, it can wait .

Posted via CB10
    08-26-16 04:08 PM
    I can see missing them. I look at the blinking blue, I know it's my son and I better check, I see the purple, I know it is just an ongoing conversation that is not urgent, I see the white, it's another friend and I can probably wait (or they would ping me), I see red, it can wait .

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! I want it back. I had "ignore" colors.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-26-16 05:31 PM
    Likewise.

See a clear pattern here.

Lack of coloured LED is not a feature, it's a bug.

Wouldn't take a DTEK if one was given to me.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 05:34 AM
    Why don't you try something new? Get a smartwatch and combine it with a DTEK50 and you will not miss the LED because you see everything decent on the watch. By the way: thats what I'm still doing together with my Q10 and I don't use the LED anymore....

Why just complaining about such a little hardware change and not finding out all the benefit, the new Blackberry has?

Complaining will not change the hardware into a RGB-LED. Having a look around for other possibilities, may be a way, that leads to a solution.

I'm quite sure there are some ways to finde a compromise with the hardware of the DTEK50.

For me it is to big and I want the option for replacing the accu. So I keep the Q10 - without complains...

Oh man. Some people at CB are really blind. (remember- not everything BlackBerry does is great!!)

Ive got a Moto X Force without the blinking led and just a white flash like on the dtek. And you know what? It dont even comes close to the rgb led. And remember the Moto got a unique notification screen. But the led is better!
    So no, I dont want to test out new 'features'(or better lack of good features) with my money.
    I am with you with the battery thats why I am still rocking my Q10 for work!!
    The same with rgb led goes with the battery. I. Simply. Need. It.

Edit:
    You know whats even more stupid, but this time its Lenovo /Moto 's fault. The Moto X Force Does have a RGB Led. But only for charging(green light). And its impossible to make it to work for notification. . Even with root.

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    08-27-16 05:52 AM
    Why not just set up up screen notifications where it pops up on screen? Then you know exactly what and whom sent the message.
    I miss it bht not even close to a deal breaker. iPhone does not have it either.

Posted via my DTEK50
    08-27-16 06:29 AM
    Why not just set up up screen notifications where it pops up on screen? Then you know exactly what and whom sent the message.
    I miss it bht not even close to a deal breaker. iPhone does not have it either.

Posted via my DTEK50
    Thats by default an option on the Moto. But you can see the RGB Led on the other side of the room. It would be perfect to have 2 options. LED and screen notifications.

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-27-16 08:13 AM
    ...then please: open your mind and be free for something new or just keep your good old Blackberry.

If I read all the comments about blackberry and the "good old times" here, it feels for me like most of the people here must be mentally retired since ages.
    I find comments like these hilarious. The typical "newer has to be better" mentality. There's nothing wrong with wanting to keep good features of old while the shortcomings of those old things are improved and advanced. If I'm buying a new car and my old car had a great a/c system, why should I settle for a car with a better engine but an inferior a/c system? Of course demand a car with a better engine AND an a/c system at least as good, if not better right? Or would I be "stuck in the past" by wanting that?? Lol

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-27-16 10:08 AM

Smartwatches is a neat concept, but having to remember to charge something else would get annoying. It's why I stopped using a BT headset, I never remembered to charge it. Also, I watch movies a lot and the watch screen coming on every time I move my wrist would get super annoying, not only for me, but for others around me. I know I can turn it off, but so what, now I have to turn off my phone and my watch every time I want to watch a movie? Why would I want to ADD things I need to do? Add another device to remember to charge, add another device to remember to turn off, add another thing I need to remember to bring with me. I've forgotten my phone several times while rushing out the door, I have a feeling a smartwatch would spend more time on my desktop than on my arm, lol.

That's just me of course, if you like them, then great. :-)

08-27-16 10:13 AM
    You'll still have a lighted notification, just white...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-27-16 11:57 AM
    ^^ Analog watches or bust!

My favorite to date, and currently on my wrist is a Citizen Eco-Drive with a sapphire crystal. My limbs collide with anything and everything, more frequently than most others - not a single scratch on the crystal after numerous scrapes against metals and concrete... and best of all, I never have to change the battery because it is solar powered for life.

lol at smartwatches... (just my opinion too)

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM710...UvbUpU12565630

When I was a kid I always knew the approximate time �15mins during daytime from sun angle and light alone. It's nice to not require a time piece to know the time.

On topic though... ahem... I'm finally going to open my DTEK50 today, and totally not going to worry about the notification LED - more interested in the flip-case cut-out notification area and how it functions...

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    08-27-16 12:29 PM
    ^^ Analog watches or bust!

My favorite to date, and currently on my wrist is a Citizen Eco-Drive with a sapphire crystal. My limbs collide with anything and everything, more frequently than most others - not a single scratch on the crystal after numerous scrapes against metals and concrete... and best of all, I never have to change the battery because it is solar powered for life.

lol at smartwatches... (just my opinion too)

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM710...UvbUpU12565749

When I was a kid I always knew the approximate time �15mins during daytime from sun angle and light alone. It's nice to not require a time piece to know the time.

On topic though... ahem... I'm finally going to open my DTEK50 today, and totally not going to worry about the notification LED - more interested in the flip-case cut-out notification area and how it functions...

Posted via CB10
    If I would wear a watch, it definitely would be an analog one. Love the chronograph look. But I'm a Seiko fan myself, haha.

08-27-16 02:45 PM
    If I would wear a watch, it definitely would be an analog one. Love the chronograph look. But I'm a Seiko fan myself, haha.

G-Shock with a death grip on the latest BlackBerry.

My name is Jimmy and I am a BlackBerryaholic.
    08-27-16 05:43 PM
    I find comments like these hilarious. The typical "newer has to be better" mentality.
    You only read what you want to. I just said, I don't understand all the complaining about the LED. There are needs on the market and costs for production. Blackberry did not design the phone. Everybody here knows this, it's just an Alcatel Idol, because they can not spent more money for hardware development. This is the reason why there is just a Single-Color-LED.

If I would think "newer is always better", I would not keep my Q10. Everybody has it's needs. Honestly, I don't understand all the complaining, because everybody has the choice and should be able to find a matching device. It doesn't change anything if people are upset because of an LED. Just move on and - if you don't want it, just don't buy it.
    08-30-16 02:30 AM
    Smartwatches is a neat concept, but having to remember to charge something else would get annoying. It's why I stopped using a BT headset, I never remembered to charge it. Also, I watch movies a lot and the watch screen coming on every time I move my wrist would get super annoying..
    My own smartwatch needs to be loaded once in a week - no problem for me. How often the watch notifies and on which way: over the screen or just vibration, depends on the settings, everybody can configure depending on the needs. I don't have a ringing phone anymore, because of the watch and people don't even notice if I reject a call... and how often I have a look at the watch after a notification, it's up to me.
    08-30-16 02:46 AM
    Oh man. Some people at CB are really blind. (remember- not everything BlackBerry does is great!!)

Ive got a Moto X Force without the blinking led and just a white flash like on the dtek. And you know what? It dont even comes close to the rgb led. And remember the Moto got a unique notification screen. But the led is better!
    So no, I dont want to test out new 'features'(or better lack of good features) with my money.
    I am with you with the battery thats why I am still rocking my Q10 for work!!
    The same with rgb led goes with the battery. I. Simply. Need. It.

Edit:
    You know whats even more stupid, but this time its Lenovo /Moto 's fault. The Moto X Force Does have a RGB Led. But only for charging(green light). And its impossible to make it to work for notification. . Even with root.
    Yes, but it shouldn't be a surprise, that Blackberry built a phone with some characteristics, that doesn't fit to everybody. There are 50 other phones with LED on the market.
    08-30-16 02:59 AM
    You only read what you want to. I just said, I don't understand all the complaining about the LED. There are needs on the market and costs for production. Blackberry did not design the phone. Everybody here knows this, it's just an Alcatel Idol, because they can not spent more money for hardware development. This is the reason why there is just a Single-Color-LED.

If I would think "newer is always better", I would not keep my Q10. Everybody has it's needs. Honestly, I don't understand all the complaining, because everybody has the choice and should be able to find a matching device. It doesn't change anything if people are upset because of an LED. Just move on and - if you don't want it, just don't buy it.
    I think most people know WHY they ended up with a white notification LED. It's not a secret the phone is an Idol 4. But that doesn't mean that you can't understand people being disappointed by the loss of a good feature. There's a huge difference here.

That's like if a car's new model went with a cheaper part for something because they needed to save money, nobody should complain that they did it because we should know that they did it because they needed to save money...

08-30-16 05:42 AM
    My own smartwatch needs to be loaded once in a week - no problem for me. How often the watch notifies and on which way: over the screen or just vibration, depends on the settings, everybody can configure depending on the needs. I don't have a ringing phone anymore, because of the watch and people don't even notice if I reject a call... and how often I have a look at the watch after a notification, it's up to me.
    That's the problem. I would want it so that I can always see it without the need to use my other hand to activate it or whatever. On a normal watch that's not an issue. On a smartwatch, that means turning on the feature to turn on automatically when the wrist is moved, which then causes the issue of the screen also coming on when I don't want it to as well. If it can read my mind and know when I moved my arm to look at the watch versus when I move my arm to stretch, then it would be ok. But we're not there yet.

08-30-16 05:45 AM
    That's the problem. I would want it so that I can always see it without the need to use my other hand to activate it or whatever. On a normal watch that's not an issue. On a smartwatch, that means turning on the feature to turn on automatically when the wrist is moved, which then causes the issue of the screen also coming on when I don't want it to as well. If it can read my mind and know when I moved my arm to look at the watch versus when I move my arm to stretch, then it would be ok. But we're not there yet.
    The watch is always on. So it looks as a usual watch in the first place. And there are several watchfaces with - for example - notification counter for several different message types. There is always a way to have a information depth of a RGB-LED.

The smartwatch has buttons. If I need silence: I push just one button and I don't get notifications. This is something I don't need to look at the watch.

...anyway, I have understood: this is not the "let's see what we can do with a missing RGB-LED"- Thread, it's just the "Life without RGB-LED sucks and I can't help myself"-Thread...

...or is here anybody who has an DTEK 50 and tried some ways to use the white LED?
    08-30-16 06:18 AM
    It's not about 'trying ways to use the white LED'.
    Of course, there are ways, also to use a phone with no LED at all.
    It is this:

The rgb/red LED is an iconic BB feature. It is also immensely useful. It has been available on all BBs, even the old, cheap models, as far as I can remember. It is a shame that it went away on the dtek. Many, if not all, BB users would like to have it. It would make it more attractive for new users.

I do not believe that it would have made the dtek that more expensive. If the story that they tell, about having tweaked the Idol's HW, to make it a secure BB device, is true, then changing the (or putting in another) LED would have been an easy and cheap thing to do. Unless, the story is a hoax, and it in fact is an unchanged Idol...

For me, the most mysterious thing about it is, why didn't they at least make it red - which is THE bb LED colour. Nobody can tell me that a red LED costs more than a white one.
    08-30-16 07:03 AM
    ...if you want to have RGB-LED instead of White-LED you have to change the hardware (motherboard) because:
    -RGB-LED has usually 4 pins
    -White-LED has 2 pins

...this is nothing cheap to do.
    08-30-16 07:19 AM
    It's not about 'trying ways to use the white LED'.
    Of course, there are ways, also to use a phone with no LED at all.
    It is this:

The rgb/red LED is an iconic BB feature. It is also immensely useful. It has been available on all BBs, even the old, cheap models, as far as I can remember. It is a shame that it went away on the dtek. Many, if not all, BB users would like to have it. It would make it more attractive for new users.

I do not believe that it would have made the dtek that more expensive. If the story that they tell, about having tweaked the Idol's HW, to make it a secure BB device, is true, then changing the (or putting in another) LED would have been an easy and cheap thing to do. Unless, the story is a hoax, and it in fact is an unchanged Idol...

For me, the most mysterious thing about it is, why didn't they at least make it red - which is THE bb LED colour. Nobody can tell me that a red LED costs more than a white one.
    Coz then Your selfie camera would have a red flash. The selfie flash is an unusual feature they must value it more highly then rgb led.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 07:30 AM
203 ... 45678 ...