View Poll Results: Should the DTEK50 have an RGB notification LED?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 75.57%
  • No

1 0.76%
  • Doesn't matter

31 23.66%
    As a deaf person I can always rely on vibrating notification if I have the phone in hand but cannot hear it when on a table or surface unless I'm watching it. Hence no notification LED is a HUGE issue for me. How am I supposed to know if I get a new message, etc... unless I check my phone every couple of minutes? Thanks BlackBerry for joining ranks of corporate designers that put the "dis" in "disability".
    On screen notifications even when locked will help.
    I like multi colour but regardless of LED flashing I always clear my messages right away. I will miss it but not a deal killer.. IPhone and most Androids don't have any light notifications.. It will still be in white but you won't be able to know what source it came from. Not with LED alone.
    Use on screen notifications for this device even when locked.

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    07-26-16 03:44 PM
    As a deaf person I can always rely on vibrating notification if I have the phone in hand but cannot hear it when on a table or surface unless I'm watching it. Hence no notification LED is a HUGE issue for me. How am I supposed to know if I get a new message, etc... unless I check my phone every couple of minutes? Thanks BlackBerry for joining ranks of corporate designers that put the "dis" in "disability".
    The DTEK50 has a notification LED, you just can't change its color from the default white like you can on the Priv and BB10.
    07-26-16 03:45 PM
    BlackBerry is desperate. They desperately need to sell phones as cheap as possible. This phone is meant to be cheap and low cost to build, hence the repackaging of the Idol 4.

I'm betting the nest two.....if we in fact see then.....will have the LED.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 03:47 PM
    Ummmmm....that ducks.
    So far, that's the only thing I don't like!

Posted via CB10 and the BlackBerry Passport
    07-26-16 04:03 PM
    Disappointing.

Would have been a legacy BlackBerry visual touch that would immediately set it apart from the others.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 04:08 PM
    So what the heck is it it does have and led indicator as shown in the demo video or it does not ,hard to believe they make a video showing that it does ,and now all this talk about it not??

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-26-16 10:57 PM
    So what the heck is it it does have and led indicator as shown in the demo video or it does not ,hard to believe they make a video showing that it does ,and now all this talk about it not??
    It has a white LED as shown in the video. But you can't customize the LED colour for different apps like you used too.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 03:05 AM
    The lack of RGB LED is the only thing that makes me very reluctant about buying the phone
    Very sad... cause it is not an expensive phone that fit well my needs... except about notifications.

Posted via CB10
    gnirkatto likes this.
    07-27-16 06:27 AM
    I like the notification LED. I like being able to have different colors based on type of notification.

There are several reasons why I'll pass on this phone (being android is not one of them - that, I'm okay with). Only 16 Gb of storage being my initial source of hesitation. Now the notification LED not being color customizable and only white.

How could BlackBerry get that "hardware root of trust" unless they provide some custom hardware, and forget a custom RGB LED?

Posted via CB10
    Android versions since 4.3 supported a hardware root of trust.

https://source.android.com/security/...cements43.html

Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-27-16 06:35 AM
    Android versions since 4.3 supported a hardware root of trust.

https://source.android.com/security/...cements43.html

Still not sure if that trust is based on specific hardware, or just any hardware will do.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 07:03 AM
    Still not sure if that trust is based on specific hardware, or just any hardware will do.

Posted via CB10
    "Keychain API now provides a method (isBoundKeyType) that allows applications to confirm that system-wide keys are bound to a hardware root of trust for the device. This provides a place to create or store private keys that cannot be exported off the device, even in the event of a root compromise."

07-27-16 07:12 AM
    Wow you guys are really making a big deal about a little blinking light ,the fact that it does have a notification light is great if it didn't I would be pissed off. Move on everyone. This looks on the surface to be an all right phone definitely a big upgrade from say a Z30 witch if I do buy one is what it would be replacing. Speakers anyone ,? Dual speakers? JBL ? Have a good day all

07-27-16 07:45 AM
    I can see how some could be disappointed (putting it lightly) at the missing LED - I must admit it was always something I was quite partial to. But having the programmable convenience key back again is way cool!
    thekidshop likes this.
    07-27-16 07:56 AM
    My only question is - how much more would the other 2 LED's have cost?!? They keep talking about it as if putting RGB LED is like upgrading to a higher end chipset.

Like everyone else, I also rely on my Z10's customized LED to know exactly what's waiting on me without even touching the phone, so this is a major bummer. The only way this phone can be redeemed for me is if the convenience key can be made to play/pause music, and the volume keys can skip tracks like in BB10...

BTW what do people mean by 'on-screen' notifications? Like the ones that turn on just a part of your screen to simulate a blinking LED?
    07-27-16 07:58 AM
    I believe there WILL be an led notification, just not multi-coloured like on current and past BlackBerry phones.

Edit: sorry. Missed responses before mine.

07-27-16 09:00 AM
    "Keychain API now provides a method (isBoundKeyType) that allows applications to confirm that system-wide keys are bound to a hardware root of trust for the device. This provides a place to create or store private keys that cannot be exported off the device, even in the event of a root compromise."

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. That statement is too general. Who's hardware? Specific hardware? Any hardware? How does it know what to trust?

On the LED, I can understand the issue to some degree that it can't just be swapped out. This phone apparently has a single white LED. That's just two leads to light it up. The RGB LED that previous BlackBerry phones have used for years has 6 - two for each of the three color diodes in the LED. Then it needs the driver circuit to light up the right combination of the three colors for the desired final color. That's not a simple switch-out. It would require a different sub-section of the board. Thus, a different manufacturing run. Apparently, that's not what TCL is doing.

I don't like that the front LED is really the flash for the front camera. Unless they can adjust the brightness, that's going to be mighty obnoxious sitting there flashing away at full brightness on a table.

Posted via CB10
    Andrew Finley likes this.
    07-27-16 09:22 AM
    It cost $50 extra per phone to have the red light.
    07-27-16 09:53 AM

Geebus, how many times does this need to be pointed out in the same thread. ****RGB**** LED...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-27-16 09:56 AM
    It cost $50 extra per phone to have the red light.
    Haha right? Like it's such an insignificant thing that it's basically never advertised. Most phones don't even MENTION it in their specs and phone spec databases don't keep track of it. Yet BlackBerry decided to 'save money' on that instead of lowering the battery life by 10mAh (probably the same savings).

Basically, even though they said they got the rights to do whatever they wanted with the phone, they changed nothing (but the back cover and hardcoded kernel encryption).
    07-27-16 10:15 AM
    Oh well. Get a priv for 2x price if this is something you have to have
    07-27-16 10:34 AM
    Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. That statement is too general. Who's hardware? Specific hardware? Any hardware? How does it know what to trust?

On the LED, I can understand the issue to some degree that it can't just be swapped out. This phone apparently has a single white LED. That's just two leads to light it up. The RGB LED that previous BlackBerry phones have used for years has 6 - two for each of the three color diodes in the LED. Then it needs the driver circuit to light up the right combination of the three colors for the desired final color. That's not a simple switch-out. It would require a different sub-section of the board. Thus, a different manufacturing run. Apparently, that's not what TCL is doing.

I don't like that the front LED is really the flash for the front camera. Unless they can adjust the brightness, that's going to be mighty obnoxious sitting there flashing away at full brightness on a table.

Posted via CB10
    If they had to change out chipset for their "hardware root of trust"... changing out an LED would have been nothing in comparison.
    Wrec and Q10Bold like this.
    07-27-16 11:07 AM
    Oh well. Get a priv for 2x price if this is something you have to have
    Yah, why should consumers demand more from the corporations? They should just take whatever is given to them with no expectations! Lol

07-27-16 11:42 AM
    Yah, why should consumers demand more from the corporations? They should just take whatever is given to them with no expectations! Lol

If this is deal breaker for you then do not buy it. If I did not own priv I would have this phone already pre-ordered. Price is right and I get all features from old z10 or z30 + android. What is not to like about it. The missing led does not bother me that much
    07-27-16 11:45 AM
    Agreed, just a white led is not much appreciated for most or some BlackBerry users.
    Newcomers will not care.
    50$ for rgb led? Mam� m�a.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 11:47 AM
    Full form of RGB?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 11:58 AM
203 1234 ...